Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Crouch go???

• 04-01-2007 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭

As far as i'm concerned the jury is still out for me on Crouch! Sometimes i think he is a fantastic second option, but then you see the amount of chances he misses!! for a big guy he doesnt seem to have a great heading technic! but then again the amount of work he puts in for the team is outstanding! i really cant make up my mind on this! just wondering what all the other pool fans think????

should he stay or should he go???? 22 votes

stay!!!
    0% 0 votes
    go!!!
    100% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He should stay. Yes he can be frustrating but Rafa could make better use of him. His link-up play is exellent and while he might miss 3 sitters at head height he can put volleys way quite nicely! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Just go please ! ! ! ! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say stay - at least for the rest of the season. He can pull it off sometimes, but not as much as I'd like him to. The goal against Bolton shows the magic he has - he just doesn't display it often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It kind of depends. If the reported £12m offer comes in then thunderbirds are go. I'd be inclined to say sell as long as we dont lose money on him. I'm not a fan of his so that sways the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If only he could head the ball as well as he can kick it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd take the rumoured 12 million from Newcastle or David Trezeguet from Juve in a heartbeat. Sticks out like a sore thumb in the pool team when he plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

wanabe wrote:
    As far as i'm concerned the jury is still out for me on Crouch! Sometimes i think he is a fantastic second option, but then you see the amount of chances he misses!! for a big guy he doesnt seem to have a great heading technic! but then again the amount of work he puts in for the team is outstanding! i really cant make up my mind on this! just wondering what all the other pool fans think????
    Are you taking the piss with all those exclamation points?!!!

Crouchy would be welcome at Newcastle! but for £12m you're having a laugh!! My valuation of him would be £5m MAX!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The swap for Trezeguet is agent talk. There's no chance, none, that Juventus would want Crouch. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Not a Liverpool fan but as a neutral i think he should leave so as he can play regular football. He might be awkward to look at but he is a decent enough footballer with a good brain in my opinion, he works hard for the team and has a knack of scoring goals when on form, he provides a different option up front too, in the right system he could be very useful to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Jury still out? I figured out that he was terrible well before he joined Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

bohsman wrote:
    Jury still out? I figured out that he was terrible well before he joined Liverpool.

have u figured out that was a stupid post aswell?

in what way is he "terrible"?

limited yes, hardly terrible

Ive always had him up there with Carsten Janker as the worst strikers to play in the World Cup. A poor mans Niall Quinn?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

bohsman wrote:
    Ive always had him up there with Carsten Janker as the worst strikers to play in the World Cup. A poor mans Niall Quinn?

Come on Oscar he is a much better player than Big Niall ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

if he can sort out his heading, which is fixable, he prob would have double the amount of goals he's already scored this season.

keep him for now i'd say, no point in selling a scoring striker in the jan transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Keep him, without doubt!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

bohsman wrote:

He was "terrible" for Southampton so was he? I await your reply...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He seems unsuited totally to Liverpool's style of play. While he is a good reader of the game, he should primarily be used to hold a ball up, and lay it off, you know, an a-typical longball striker, feeding the front men and facilitating chances on goal. Only, for a big bloke, he's bad with his head. I mean Andy Cole got twice his goal tally in a season, and he was utter pants, so I hardly think that goal scoring record is anything to go by. Liverpool do need a bone fide 20 to 30 a season assassin, and while Crouch can "do a job" for the team, its not what Liverpool need to compete with the big boys. He misses so many chances, and so often makes himself look an utter donkey gracelessly losing ball when under minimal pressure.
    OK there was that volley last weekend. But do you really think Crouch knew much about that? Was it pure skill or pure luck? I think luck as he doesnt really seem to have the dead eye for goal that a striker should have to regularly score goals like that.
    When Southampton have a player like Crouch, they can angle the team to play to his strengths, but with Liverpool, he has to bring something to an already successful functioning team. I think best off replacing him.

Or keeping him. I vote ye should keep him.
    But then I am a Utd. fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

no sell him, I do like the guy and think he brings a lot to the game, but he hasnt got the killer instinct and has missed many many sitters, even ones that a bad Cisse would knock in and that’s saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

While I do put him behind Kuyt and Bellamy in the pecking order, he's still the top scorer for the season right? I'd keep him until the summer at least, to allow more time for Kuyt and Bellamy adjust to the club.

Unless we can get in a player who can actually head f*ckin' ball... then I'd sell him in a heartbeat.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He was "terrible" for Southampton so was he? I await your reply...

Is that where he made his name? I've seen him for Villa, Liverpool and England and not been impressed. I just dont rate him from what I've seen admittedly people like yourself and Dub13 have seen a lot more of him so if you say he's above average I'll take your word for it. He seemed to build up a cult status at Liverpool but cult status tends to go to players who are **** but give 110%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

bohsman wrote:
    Is that where he made his name?

Pretty much, we signed him for £2m, he scored quite a few goals for us in his one season at the club and left the club almost exactly a year later for £7m.
    I've seen him for Villa, Liverpool and England and not been impressed. I just dont rate him from what I've seen admittedly people like yourself and Dub13 have seen a lot more of him so if you say he's above average I'll take your word for it.

He's not amazing, thats for sure. I'm not trying to make him out to be anything better than what he is, I just don't agree that he's "terrible".

His England goal record stands up with almost anyone at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I think his spell at Pompey was when he "made his name"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

el rabitos wrote:
    have u figured out that was a stupid post aswell?

in what way is he "terrible"?

limited yes, hardly terrible

meow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I wouldnt let him go for Trezeguet or 12M he is worth more. I rate him higher than Kuyt and Bellamy when given a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I have mixed feelings about this issue. However, it is mostly due to Crouch being English, and being over-hyped and over-valued. If he was valued at his correct price (about £6M) I'd say keep him, he can be very effective and change a game. But, if his valuation puts him edging closer to £15M, I'd say sell, and buy someone who will score 20/25 goals a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

English prices are crazy tbh. Celtic bought their entire team for half that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Reganio 2 wrote:
    I wouldnt let him go for Trezeguet or 12M he is worth more.

As I said, take the hand and all off if £12m is offered
    Reganio 2 wrote:
    I rate him higher than Kuyt and Bellamy when given a chance.

As long as that chance isnt on his head directly in front of an open goal.

Advertisement