Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Anise

• 04-01-2007 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

This is an ingredient in a biryani recipe I saw on a cookery show, and I've never seen it anywhere. I googled it, but all that really did was tell me what it is! A couple of questions here:

Where can I get it?
    What could i use as a substitute for it in a recipe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yu don't say where you're based, but you can get it at any of the Asian stores / markets / emporiums in Dublin. You can get it whole, or ground. There isn't anything comparable you could substitue for it that I can think of off hand.

It's an odd ingredient for an Indian dish, though, I have to say ... it's usually only found in Chinese cooking in my experience. The fragrance in a typical biryani usually comes from whole spices like cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

Thanks! I'm in Dublin so will head down to the asian market tomorrow.

I thought it was strange too, but the guy doing the recipe apparantly is some Michelin starred Indian chef in London, so I'm lucky that only one of the ingredients is slightly obscure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Alun wrote:
    Yu don't say where you're based, but you can get it at any of the Asian stores / markets / emporiums in Dublin.

You can also probably get it in any organic store which also does herbs/spices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rainglow wrote:
    I thought it was strange too, but the guy doing the recipe apparantly is some Michelin starred Indian chef in London, so I'm lucky that only one of the ingredients is slightly obscure ;)
    Interesting .. it's probably the guy that was on that BBC program last year where there were a number of cooks competing to create a lunch banquet for Queen Liz's 80th birthday .. can't remember his name, but I'm fairly sure he was the only Michelin starred Indian chef in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Atul Kochhar is yer man's name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most aisian stores carry it, looks like a little dried starfish sort of nut. You can get it in supermarkets. I think some spice mixes in supermarkets have a lot of it in it, like 5 or 7 spice mixes. I think some sauce does too, a liquid sauce like soy.

Closest thing to it is liquorice, ever hear it reffered to as "aniseed", -star anise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

you can use fennel seed as a substitute - it's milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

As a totally pointless aside, does anyone else get unpleasant tequila flashbacks when they smell it?
    Would a flavour that strong not dominate the dish? Let us know how it turns out Rainglow

Advertisement