Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please: How to read a DVD Ram?

• 04-01-2007 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

A relative living a broad sent us a video of their family on DVD Ram. Sadly I don't posses a DVD ram player. I tried three computer with DVD drives and two standalone DVD players and none of them can read the disk. Can anyone recommend an easy way to get this converted to a format I can read? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If he finalised it correctly, it should be viewable in a computer drive. Did you try open it with VLC Media Player?

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Really? The disk looks completely different to a standard DVD. It has little lines drawn all over the writing surface.

It is entirely possible that my relative neglected to finalise correctly because they are a bit technologically challenged. They claim that they can read the disk themselves however. What type of gadget typically writes to DVD Ram? Perhaps if I tried one of those it would still work read the disk even in its un-finalised state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 derekcon

You will need to fit a DVD Drive that will read DVD RAM Disks. Pioneer 110d or most new LightOn will do. Only £25 to last time I got one in the uk.
    If you can read the disk you will not need to convert it. If you cannot read it you then you cannot convert it!

I have Dvd ram drives in both my pc`s and my Tv video recorder is a Panasonic that uses DVD Ram disks well as tht standard DVD+r DVD-R formats.
    You can use them over and over just like video tape and edit them on your pc. On the pc you can do any thing with them its just like having a mini hard disk but cost a bit more than std disks. Also up 9g in size.
    Now vcr`s are changing to using hard drives and DVD drives have also changed over to duel layer so not a lot of interest for most people.

Try hear LM 16564 NOW ONLY £18.08
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=12&FilterCategories=34&Thumbnails=yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Thanks for the advice Derekcon. I will check out DVD ram drives as you suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 derekcon

Good Luck m8 and I hope that it is worth watching.

If fit it into your pc as a 2nd DVD drive it will make copying disks (CD or DVD) easyer anyway so its not like you will only use it once. If you only have one bay on your PC then just do a swop with your old drive and it will work just the same but it will give you DVD Ram disks as well.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement