Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going back to do the leaving cert-options?

Options
  • 04-01-2007 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

I was wondering what are my options if I wanted to go back to sit my leaving cert?

Do i have to attend a mature student institution or can I study at home?

How many times are year are the exams held?where are they held

What subjects are complusory?maths irish and english are a must I assume?

Do you have to study for 6 subjects all at once or can you stagger it where you can study 3 this year do the exams for those and then study another 3 the following year?

I only got 215 points when I did my lc back in 1997 but to tell you the truth I did very little study I would look to get above 600 points if went back ,I would work hard and obviously more mature now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Do i have to attend a mature student institution or can I study at home?

You can study maths, history, french... academicy type subjects at home, but not say home ec or woodwork.

How many times are year are the exams held?where are they held

June each year in your local secondry school.

What subjects are complusory?maths irish and english are a must I assume?

You need to do maths to get into all ITs and universities.
    You need to do English or Irish if you want to go to an institute of technology.
    You need to do English + (Irish or another language) for entry into some universities.
    You need to do English + Irish + a 3rd language for entry into certain universities.

But you've done the leaving cert before, did you pass these subjects the last time. If so, you don't need to do them again.
    Do you have to study for 6 subjects all at once or can you stagger it where you can study 3 this year do the exams for those and then study another 3 the following year?

You need to do 6 in the same year if you want to use those 6 subjects for points.
    I only got 215 points when I did my lc back in 1997 but to tell you the truth I did very little study I would look to get above 600 points if went back ,I would work hard and obviously more mature now.

600 points is the max amount you can get.

All the best to you! I'm not 100% sure about anything I've said, but I'm sure others will reply.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Advertisement