Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for info on the Manor house beside battle of the boyne site near Oldbridge

• 05-01-2007 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Im looking for info on the Manor house beside the battle of the boyne site near Oldbridge. Its beside the Oblysse(spelling?)bridge.
    The manor house is being converted into a heritage site with a restrausnt and other out buildings/courtyards, etc...

I cant find any info on google or an bord pleanala.
    Does anyone know what the manor is actually called? The house has a name, i just cant remember it and so cant really search properly for it on the net.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Not sure but it could be this from Unison and the bridge is the Obelisk Bridge and maybe Oldbridge House? I could be well off the mark with this though.

Ireland’s first eco hotel to open by the Boyne

By Tom Reilly

PLANS to build a new 23 bedroom eco hotel – the first of its kind in Ireland – on a derelict site near the Obelisk Bridge will be lodged with Louth County Council this week.

Local entrepreneur Gavin Collins is behind the unique project, which would see the four star hotel further link Louth with the Battle of the Boyne site, and become part of the interactive heritage facilities of the area.

Just yards across the river in County Meath the e40m interpretative centre at Oldbridge House is expected to be opened in the summer of 2007 where 100,000 visitors are expected in the first year.

If it gets the go-ahead it will be the first hotel in Ireland to be operated with the highest percentage possible of renewable and sustainable energy.

Eco hotels of this type have been successfully built and run in Northern Europe for some years now.

With the recent announcement that the Ramparts is to be extended and upgraded to provide pedestrian access from Drogheda to Oldbridge, Mr Collins believes that the hotel will further enhance Drogheda’s connection to the Battle of the Boyne Interpretative Centre.

The unique environmental aspects of the new development will include solar collectors and solar panels for heating.

Wood pellets will also be used to centrally heat the building.

Sewage will be UV filter treated on site and will be re-used in non-potable water processes such as showers and baths, a proven process in buildings of this type.

This will reduce the water requirement for the hotel, which will be further reduced with the use of strategically-located rain water collectors.

Remarkably, no area of potential heat will be ignored and even the heat from toilet matter (usually measured at 11) can be extracted from the sewage system and re-used to supplement the under floor heating system.

The wall cavities will be insulated with sheep’s wool and newspaper insulation.

Passive solar panels that can take in and retain heat in the winter and release it in the summer will also be a feature of the hotel.

The building will have a Victorian style natural reclaimed stone front facade with cedar wood cladding to the rear, which will also have a grass roof to blend in with the foliage in the nearby King Billy’s Glen.

A further benefit of the plan is that the old Battle of the Boyne viewing point will be incorporated into the new hotel complex and will be re-opened and maintained under the proposal.

The hotel will also have two specially designated peace meeting rooms that will have a significant cross-border dimension.

It is understood that the hotel will be built using local professional skills and will create up to 40 jobs when it is built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Nuttzy wrote:
    Im looking for info on the Manor house beside the battle of the boyne site near Oldbridge. Its beside the Oblysse(spelling?)bridge.
    The manor house is being converted into a heritage site with a restrausnt and other out buildings/courtyards, etc...

I cant find any info on google or an bord pleanala.
    Does anyone know what the manor is actually called? The house has a name, i just cant remember it and so cant really search properly for it on the net.
    thanks.
    Oldbridge House (sometimes Oldbridge Hall), beside the Obelisk Bridge, is a large country house, originally built c.1750, and substantially extended c.1832.

The Office of Public Works, which runs the guide service at the Battle of the Boyne site, is to develop Oldbridge House into a new, state-of-the-art interpretative centre to exlain the history of the Battle of the Boyne, etc. This development is glaringly necessary, given that large coaches of would-be tourists are currently unable to visit the current site.

By the way, the eco-hotel is a separate development by a private concern.

And, in my third post on this today, here's a link to information on the OPW site about the Oldbridge House plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks, thats very helpfull.

• Advertisement

Im back again :) , Where would one go to get the existing plans of this house in its current stance, before any conversion work is carried out. Would i be able to get them in the local council or planning offices? I dont mind paying a small fee.

Also, do any of ye know what the total m2 floor area of the house itself is?
    cheers.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Im back again :) , Where would one go to get the existing plans of this house in its current stance, before any conversion work is carried out. Would i be able to get them in the local council or planning offices? I dont mind paying a small fee.
    I don't know where you'd get one.
    Also, do any of ye know what the total m2 floor area of the house itself is?
    I have a book at home that might give that information, but I won't be home till the weekend, so I'll have a look then.

I have a book at home that might give that information, but I won't be home till the weekend, so I'll have a look then.
    Cheers, that`d be good!

Advertisement