Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to return BTs crap router?

Options
  • 05-01-2007 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I've had BT's zyxel wireless router for the past six months. I've suspected its being causing problems. Tonight, it appeared that there was an outage - none of the pcs on the network could gain access to the www.

I plugged in an old (non wireless) router - and no probs - connection straight away.

I want to offload this wireless router to them and get my money back on it. Are they under any obligation to do so or do I have to live with it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they may replace it 2 or ever three times under the "Fit For The Purpose" counsumer protection act 1980 terms, if it still fails then you my get a refund .

they are not known for paying up though, ask anyone with a deposit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote:
    they may replace it 2 or ever three times under the "Fit For The Purpose" counsumer protection act 1980 terms, if it still fails then you my get a refund .

they are not known for paying up though, ask anyone with a deposit.

Shouldn't that really be anyone 'without' a deposit?:rolleyes:

Wasn't Surveys promising to 'clarify' all sorts of issues on BT's behalf about the deposit 'within a day or two' some months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

They wouldnt agree to a refund but did send out a replacement in the form of the 'BT Voyager 2110'. Whats the original manufacturer and model for this?

Also, are they any good (or at least better than the zyxel)?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I don't know who manufacturers them but they are on Amazon for £83.54 (around €126).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Voyager-2110-Wireless-Router/dp/B000BNG7RG

All 12 reviewers gave the router 5 out of 5, so hopefully it'll be better than your last one!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Hi

Ok, about your issue with the Zyxel I advice you to check several things, first if the circuit is in sync, check the DSL light on the router, if it is, check if you can access the router configuration page (default 192.168.1.1). If you cant then try reseting the router (press the reset buttom on the back of the router for around 15 seconds).

If you still have the same issue let me know.

Voyager 2110 is a bit better than Zyxel routers, overall regarding wireless coverage. Zyxel are know not to deal very well with interferences as well as being a bit picky.

BT are no longer providing those router due to a small proble with the reseller and a batch of faulty router (issue fixable by upgrading the firmware).

BT will not give you your money back unless proven your line/equipment is not compatible with it. If you pay the self install charge (40 euros) plus the wireless upgrade (40 euros) then the most you will get back will be 40 euros, unless you moved from a different provider in which case you shouldnt have paid such amount.

If you have any questions just let me know

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement