Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waterford stanley

• 05-01-2007 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

just wondering are waterford stanley now fully operational from the industrial park and if so what will happen their old site at bilberry?any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

According to the new draft development plan they have it earmarked as a site with oppertunity . Considering the houses in bowes field are still going up and they own some of the land between gracedieu and bilberry could it possibly residential or more of a light commercial / industrial ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 cwat69

its a fine size riverside site,id like to see a mixed use residential/commercial venture go there at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

I think the Waterford Suir Valley railway line should come in as far as here, and a station be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

navalus wrote:
    I think the Waterford Suir Valley railway line should come in as far as here, and a station be built.
    The new bypass/motorway/second crossing runs along a substantial portion of the river bank and basically replaces the rail lines. They're already torn up. Unless something miraculous happens in the next few years the railway won't be going into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Roen wrote:
    The new bypass/motorway/second crossing runs along a substantial portion of the river bank and basically replaces the rail lines. They're already torn up. Unless something miraculous happens in the next few years the railway won't be going into town.

Add to that the fact that the WSVR is a narrow guage, heritage railway, which is probably not the same guage as whatever track that is still there running almost into town. If that track is even usable anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

navalus wrote:

AFAIK this used to be the site of the old Waterford Southern Station.Until the begining of the 20th cenury you had a station here equal in size to the station on the North side of the suir.Plus the tramore railway.The "golden age" of Rail Transport in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Roen wrote:

The WSV Railway is far enough from the new bypass , if you head out bilberry and turn towards the red iron you will see there is already preparations in place for building a station for the rail to kilmeaden ! and as far as I am aware under EU regulations old infastructure such as railways can never be removed as it may have a future use ( such as happned with some of the luas sections in dublin )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Was out in Carriganore the other day and there just doesn't seem to be the room for the road and the rail. I can't see how the two could exist. One of the lads was telling me the tracks stopped nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

Well done Waterford city Council for allowing houses to be built behind the Stanley Factory! There goes the chance to have the railway go into the Stanley factory, which could have been the site for the Station. Hang your heads in shame!.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

don't think there's any such regulation, I've seen plenty of old tracks ripped up in recent years, damn shame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Replacing the track IS part of the bypass contract. The photo below shows where the railway crosses under the road about 1km up from the new toll plaza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

the planning to be applied for for the Wateford Stanley site will get McCann going again (sorry forgot, he didnt stop) its for mixed use development - inc a 23story building (nearly the height to the ESB building in Gracedieu) with a bar and restaurant on the top 2 floors!!!!!
    would look great from bringe and a great location to overlook the suir river

chances of planning??? 0% id say

Advertisement