Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What CMS to choose?

Options
  • 05-01-2007 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody!

Here's the Deal... I have a website which needs redesigning. I could code it by hand but the problem is that it's a cycling website which needs regular updating and about 8 different users need regular access...

I'm looking for a basic Content Management System. The item must be open-source, basic, and reasonably easy to use. Any suggestions appreciated!

~NevF

(ps, i'm not a fan of mambo!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I messed around with e107 CMS for a while. Found it easy to use and worth having a look. http://e107.org loads of plugins and addons for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShayHT

I was gonna suggest Joomla, but since you not a fan of Mambo.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I second e107, though I didn't get too in depth with it. It seemed simple and upfront, though difficult to edit much, I think I remember having problems getting rid of fairly e107 banner images...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Have a look at http://www.opensourcecms.com/ for an overview of the most popular available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I looked at opensourcecms.com, but for some reason, I didn't bother going into extreme details with it....

Jaze, I never even heard of e107, it looks good, I'll have a look! thanks!
    ShayHT wrote:
    I was gonna suggest Joomla, but since you not a fan of Mambo.....

I just don't like Mambo because of the way it's coded, and the changes I would have to make on mambo would make me tedious... I had a look at Joomla, but there was too much changing around of modules, and blocks to be done, that i just simply gave up...

Thanks to all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Might be of interest. A link to a new book/ebook on e107.

http://www.packtpub.com/e107-content-management-websites/book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Try xaraya http://www.xaraya.com. I've played around with it a bit, am seriously considering it for a site currently in the planning stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hmmmm

I use Joomla all the time and find it excellent.

What about Drupal? I have never used it but i've heard great things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I've used Serendipity before and found it excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

ive used cmsms and found it straightforward enough. lots of support with a great forum. click

lots of useful addons aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

You should contact Ripe.ie and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Laslo wrote:
    You should contact Ripe.ie and ask them.
    Cruel :)

Sorry for not replying sooner!

Well Drupal is good, but thats only for me, because, there are some flaws with search engines, etc. Serendipidity looks good but I amn't bothered trying it, as with Joomla.

I have decided to go with the first few posts, and went to try out e107, which I liked very much. it was indeed the first time I heard of it's existance.

I could contact ripe and ask them but they would probably charge me for the thought. I am doing the site voluntary but not by choice though! :D

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and replies! :D

~NevF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If SEO is an important consideration you may want to have a look at Typo 3

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

For future reference:

Drupal is really just a framework. I would suggest that anyone who needs a kind of drop-in content management system shouldn't use it. IMHO, it takes time effort and usually to customise it. It's a great little framework though and definitely one of the best I've used.

If you're looking for some straight-forward CMS', you could do worse than give some of the RoR (ruby of rails) ones a try. Blacknight has already suggested Typo3, there's also Radiant, Mephisto and a bunch of others.

Rails based CMS' have the potential to be the most user friendly, because of the shortened development time. They're playing catch-up at the moment, but I'd expect to see quite a few serious RoR based CMS systems by the end of 2007. Typo3 is one example, and there are a few others (Radiant, Mephisto ... )

Phil.

Great Post Phil!

Drupal, is imo, a pain in the ass! I was very tempted for about 6months to go and deep learn the RoR framework, it looked so good! :D

Well, the site I'm designing atm isn't RoR compatible(afaik), but I will be designing a website in a couple of weeks that is hosted on a RoR compatible host...It'll be interesting to see how it goes! :D...

Well, I'll have a look at Typo3 in the next couple of months or so and give it my criticisms, if I'll use it or not(too much time on my hands!)...

Once again, Thanks for the replies!

Advertisement