Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid Octavia

Options
  • 05-01-2007 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

The new Octavia have got stupid rear lights. They have an " [ " shape which make them so much brighter and if that wasn't bad enough. The stupid driver in front of me had the fog light on to go with it. Trying to blind me!

DSC00035_640x480.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Those lights have been like that on the Octavia since late 2004 :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Skyuser wrote:
    The stupid driver in front of me had the fog light on to go with it. Trying to blind me!

Not to blinded to find your phone and take a picture... :D Sorry couldn't help myself. I hate the fog light situation too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

"They have an " [ " shape which make them so much brighter"

-since when does the shape of a light cluster actually affect the brightness of a light ??? I dont think the fact that it is "[" makes it any brighter.

...the rear foglight thing is not only annoying but dangerous and makes ur car look really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

A lot of cars now have an "auto off" function when you get out of the car, i think this is in most VAG cars by now, so this fool must have turned it on to pi$$ you off. Maybe he saw you using a mobile phone while driving and he's trying to signal to you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In fairness that light arrangement isn't as bad as the ones on the new Passat's/Jetta's where it can be very hard to see te indicators sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    In fairness that light arrangement isn't as bad as the ones on the new Passat's/Jetta's where it can be very hard to see the indicators sometimes.
    I was going to mention that too .. a tiny little dot in the middle of a huge circular red rear/brake light. Very difficult to see. What were they thinking? Definitely a case of form over function. In fact I'm surprised there aren't any EU regulations covering this kind of thing, like a minimum surface area for the indicator light or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

C_Breeze wrote:
    "They have an " [ " shape which make them so much brighter"

-since when does the shape of a light cluster actually affect the brightness of a light ??? I dont think the fact that it is "[" makes it any brighter.

...the rear foglight thing is not only annoying but dangerous and makes ur car look really stupid.
    Eh more bulbs obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Those lights have been like that on the Octavia since late 2004 :rolleyes:
    Whatever, I don't exactly follow the trend of sh!t cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Skyuser wrote:

I totally disagree with you here. It is quite a good car and has been highly successful for Skoda

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Skyuser wrote:

Your right there, it's not a patch on the passat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Skyuser wrote:
    Eh more bulbs obviously.

It Eh increases the Eh area of light, not the Eh intensity of same.

To be road legal the Octavia must comply with detailed EU type approval regulations. Thus it is within defined limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

LMAO at the Octavia being a sh!t car - some ignorance showing its ugly head in here again of late :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stekelly wrote:
    Your right there, it's not a patch on the passat. :)
    Quoted for truth! :D (though I'm biased!)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I hear the Polo isn't a patch on the Passat either.

Since when were the Octavia and Passat in competition with each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

colm_mcm wrote:
    Since when were the Octavia and Passat in competition with each other?

That's a good point - I was wondering the same thing today. Its based on a Golf and is as narrow as most cars in that class with the interior space limitations that this implies. Euro-NCAP list it as a C sector car as do JD Power. Recent hefty price increases suggest that Skoda Ireland do as well (even before the diesel engine upgrade hits the showrooms properly). IMHO the 1.9 Ambience is overpriced and/or underequipped. Most dealers will try not to sell a Classic (that's been my experience anyway) so the 25K Ambience retail price seems to be the realistic starting price. No idea where that leaves the Superb, seeing as that is based on the old Passat - competing with the Phaeton perhaps?

Edit - forgot that the Phaeton had been discontinued - no competition at all for the Superb so...

A Passat or Jetta diesel is a huge amount more than 25 grand.

They are, but my point was that the 1.9 Octavia is overpriced in comparison with its real class equivalents - the Focus, Corolla/Auris, Leon etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Its a Mayo reg., obviously some mucker down from the hills looking for cows to feed and got lost.

Spit62500 wrote:
    They are, but my point was that the 1.9 Octavia is overpriced in comparison with its real class equivalents - the Focus, Corolla/Auris, Leon etc

I suppose, if the build quality is on a a par with other VAG cars (and it is), and equipment is similar and it's more spacious, maybe they can justify increasing the price to that of its class competitors. SEAT have already done it, and they were a budget brand before they got the notion that they were the spanish Alfa Romeo.

It would seem to be probably the best VAG car to buy in terms of quality and reliability - I think that the image has a bit to go yet - those in the know see it for what it is - a well built, mostly reliable car. Problem is that I can't think of any VW owner that I know who would drive one.

The Spanish Alfa Romeo conjures up the kind of image that would cause a marketing nightmare if anyone stopped to really think about it :D

• Advertisement

Spit62500 wrote:
    The Spanish Alfa Romeo conjures up the kind of image that would cause a marketing nightmare if anyone stopped to really think about it :D

Just think back to the pre-VW SEAT's and you get the picture!

Advertisement