Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS or Economics and Maths

Options
  • 05-01-2007 5:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

(I'm not sure if this belongs here or in another forum, sorry admins if that's the case)

I am torn between doing BESS and Economics and Maths in trinity next year. Points are unlikely to be a problem, but the concept of doing maths for 3 years minimum fazes me slightly. I enjoy maths but am certainly not especially gifted. I am aiming for a higher level A1 in the leaving with a good teacher, but I'm worried that without his direction i might fall apart completely.

I would prefer to do BESS at this stage, but I'm wondering which will be better in terms of getting a job after college. (My parents are convinced that everyone who does BESS is a waster.) Your thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hi,

I'm in third year BESS, so I should be of some help to you :).

If you're dead set on Economics, I'd tend to suggest Maths & Economics as it is almost certainly the best Economics degree you can get. Take my word on it, employers will want your quantitative skills as an Economics graduate, and there's nothing better than having done Maths for that. Also, you'll find any maths that you come across in economics a doddle. That said, if you're looking at an A1, you'll probably find that easy enough anyway.

BESS has a stigma, but your parents are wrong. BESS absolutely caters for dumb blondes to get a degree and enter the business world, that's a huge aspect of it. However, if you want it so, BESS can be as difficult and as challenging as pretty much any degree in the country I've streamed myself into single-honours Economics and some of my courses are really quite difficult; very technical. These will stand to me when I'm seeking employment.

One thing I would insist you note is that Economics is becoming almost a subsection of Physics it is so mathematical. I take it you've a quantitative streak in you, but BESS provides an extremely useful method of trying out the less technical courses (i.e. business, political science and sociology) in related fields for those of us who are unsure of their fortes entering undergraduate level.

My advice, without knowing too much of your personal details, would be to go for TSM Maths + Economics, and if you decide you're not too pressed for all of this maths, you should find it quite easy to transfer to BESS.

If you've any questions drop me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

That's great, very helpful, and good to finally get an opinion that doesnt come from my hysterical mother who thinks bess is a degree called B.Es...

When you say it's easy to transfer to BESS... how easy, and how long would i have to make that decision? And if I don't transfer to BESS, is it possible to drop maths from TSM?

First thing to learn before you go to Trinity: the bureaucracy is more famous than the Book of Kells. Transferring course/getting exams checked/scratching your nose can be a pain, and is altogether very wishy washy. My point of it being easier to transfer to BESS is based on the fact that there are (iirc) 214 places in BESS, but only about ten in Maths & Economics; thus it's far more likely for someone to drop out and a place becoming available in the former.

I think the deadline is about eight weeks after you start your lectures. If all else fails you could, if you can afford it, drop out and re-enter the next year on account of your points.

TSM varies, but I know some guys who dropping Maths after Third Year and streaming into single-honours economics.

You may swap, under the same conditions and whims of transferring to BESS, to another TSM course, like Economics & History.

BESS's degree, basically, is a B.A. in Economic and Social Studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Within BESS are 10 degree choices.
    Single hons Economics
    Single hons Politics
    Single hons Sociology
    Business studies - (HRM, Accounting & Finance, or Marketing Stream)
    Joint hons Economics and Politics
    Joint hons Economics and Business
    Joint hons Sociology and Politics
    (Transfer to TSM Economics and Sociology)

I went down the single hons economics route taking subjects such as economic analysis, econometrics, economic theory, finance, investment analysis, economics of securities markets.

These are all difficult technical subjects. Maths economics and Quants are also available. These are suited for those who excel at maths.

BESS can be as 'easy' or as difficult as you decide to make it. The subject choice is great. In effect you get to choose your own degree.
    Hope this helps

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

eco and maths would be considered better imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

you should look at the quantitative finance course in dcu, its new and its built for students who are strong at both business and maths, but i say the points would be higher maybe as it was in its 1st year last year.
    best of luck, with whatever you decide to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

go for the TSM. sounds more like your thing....plus one less person competing for a place in BESS. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Is the Economics and Maths a BSc course or a BA course?

it is a BA-TSM, sean. tut tut asking these questions when baz kelleher is more than willing to volunteer his services. For shame Sean.:rolleyes:

bright wrote:
    it is a BA-TSM, sean. tut tut asking these questions when baz kelleher is more than willing to volunteer his services. For shame Sean.:rolleyes:
    you in sixth year michaels too??? what a coincidene who are ya? not all logins are as easy as mine

• Advertisement

what do you get if you have two anarchists in a room?

-three break away groups

any idea who i am now?

;)

bright wrote:
    what do you get if you have two anarchists in a room?

-three break away groups

any idea who i am now?

;)
    Gotcha;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 james80000

i dunno why this is, but the maths and economics TSM students did WAY better in the christmas exams in 2nd year this year. All got firsts in economics, nearly all in economy of ireland.
    perhaps there is a better work ethic in the TSM maths/econ?

Is the Economics and Maths a BSc course or a BA course?
    Don't be worrying about stuff like that. Really.

Trinity give BAs to its physicists.
    james80000 wrote:
    i dunno why this is, but the maths and economics TSM students did WAY better in the christmas exams in 2nd year this year. All got firsts in economics, nearly all in economy of ireland.
    perhaps there is a better work ethic in the TSM maths/econ?
    Yes, the work ethic is better in EconoMaths. Same principle applies for Schols, too.

Advertisement