Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PFO from the Army

• 05-01-2007 5:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

I got a PFO (please f*** off) from the army recently. Was hoping to be a DE Officer, but never made it past interview stage

Ok, perhaps I didn't have what they were looking for... In fact, I was asked during my interview "if I had ever considered joining the cadets". Well I got the message quite clearly at this stage I guess.

One of my best mates (who was in a top Irish university for 4 years and got an honours degree) applied for the cadets and also got a PFO even though he got 2nd place in the physical fitness test at the Curragh. He never even got to the interview stage. I really wonder is it all about who your dad was in the army as opposed to your intellect/physical capability. I was an athlete at university, and feel I also got a very hostile attitude from the army.

And yet, a mate of mine got into the air force who was a very mediocre sort of chap (nice guy all the same). The saying "it's who you know, not what you know" never rang clearer in my mind...

I've just been called up for jury duty (today actually). I'm thinking, f*** this nation, cos they rejected me. I feel no affiliation to Ireland anymore and to be quite honest, am rather bitter. I'm making a bit of money working for myself here in Ireland these days, but having said this, I'd prefer to be in the army. Anyway, 'twas never to be...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭elvis jaffacake

Cantab. wrote:

I've just been called up for jury duty (today actually). I'm thinking, f*** this nation, cos they rejected me. I feel no affiliation to Ireland anymore and to be quite honest, am rather bitter. I'm making a bit of money working for myself here in Ireland these days, but having said this, I'd prefer to be in the army. Anyway, 'twas never to be...
    well I can understand your feelings on the matter, you and a lot of other talented people try to become officers and get rejected while other jackasses get in, but on the other hand, you got rejected and now feel no alligence to this country, their are airports dotted around the place with regular flights leaving to other wonderful places, why don't you hop on one.....am I being harsh maybe, but you don't like the place don't live here then, I don't remember it saying "life is fair" on the way out of the maternity hospital where I was born.

rant over.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Cantab. wrote:
    I really wonder is it all about who your dad was in the army as opposed to your intellect/physical capability.

The vast majority of PDF officers I know or know of (which is quite a lot) have no family connection to the Defence Forces and come from a working or middle-class background.
    Cantab. wrote:
    And yet, a mate of mine got into the air force who was a very mediocre sort of chap (nice guy all the same). The saying "it's who you know, not what you know" never rang clearer in my mind....

Firstly, if your friend has gotten into the Air Corp he's passed a battery of aptitude tests, interviews with both Air Corp & civillian personnel and a screening by a psychologist so I wouldn't class him as medicore. Secondly, seeing as part of his interview process is conducted by a civillian company (PARC) you'd have to 'know' people in both organisations to sham your way in. Thirdly, you'd want to be absolutley sure that some of those getting cadetships don't come up to standard before accusing people of canvasing.
    Cantab. wrote:
    I've just been called up for jury duty (today actually). I'm thinking, f*** this nation, cos they rejected me. I feel no affiliation to Ireland anymore and to be quite honest, am rather bitter. I'm making a bit of money working for myself here in Ireland these days, but having said this, I'd prefer to be in the army. Anyway, 'twas never to be

So you're bitter,feel resentful of those who got in ahead of you & you're considering rejecting jury duty out of spite. Do you still think you're suited to the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

What DE competition was this then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I have to say that that is a very defeatist attitude and to be honest, i don't think i'd want to serve under someone and accept orders from someone who gave up so easily.....ever heard the saying.... if at first you don't succeed try and try again.

Just because you failed this time around doesn't mean you won't get it the next time.

I myself got turned down for the GS last year, too imature i was told when i looked for feedback, I didn't sit back and say okay so that's that. what's next????

I've applied again have passed the aptitude test and i'm waiting for another interview, these positions are highly sought after with thousands from all over the country going for a handfull of positions, so this competition didn't work out for you.........there's always next years competition, and that gives you pleanty of time to prepare.

Can i ask? are you in the RDF cos that can be a great help the fact that you already have an understanding of how the military works and have some miltary training. If you're not and you're still seriously interested get in not only will it help with your military career but you'll make some great friends and have great craic while you're doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cantab. wrote:
    and feel I also got a very hostile attitude from the army.

Ever wondered what sort of attitude they got from you?

Anyway, last I heard of you, you were looking at a move to Germany, what happened to that brainwave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

If you are an Irish citizen you are free to apply to compete for a place in the UK defence forces. I think they have a lot more fancy gadgets and variety of career specialities / possibilities than we do and that you might travel further if that interests you.

Mind you some of their current overseas engagements might not be to everyone's liking !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cantab. wrote:
    Ok, perhaps I didn't have what they were looking for... In fact, I was asked during my interview "if I had ever considered joining the cadets". Well I got the message quite clearly at this stage I guess.
    Ah yes... the "if you want to join us, show some enthusiasm" message. Join the RDF, and you'll be looked upon more favourably. Don't think the RDF is for you, then what makes you think the PDF would be?

Advertisement