Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Installation

Options
  • 05-01-2007 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey folks. I was wondering could you help me. I am trying to install a window Approx 5ft by 3ft in an interior plaster wall. However I have no idea how to go about this. Does anyone know a company that could provide the materials and fit the window? Thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

If you haven't had the window made yet and your wall is a wood partition stud/plasterboard wall you could try the following using a knife you can buy for about 10 euro for cutting plasterboard.

cut out a small square in the middle of where you want.
    Then working to either side every 16" or so you should find a vertical stud.
    Stop clean/flush at a vertical stud on either side that closely matches the size you want.
    Then work down and up for the vertical size you want. Buy a piece of matching stud (usually 3”) and using some angle brackets fix it to the vertical studs top and bottom.

You now have a nice clean box opening which you can fit a frame with glass like the attached picture with just architrave around it or buy a window (preferably timber for interior) to be the depth of the stud 75mm plus the plasterboard and plaster 15mm – then just architrave around it.

PS1 make sure the stud wall you are working with it not a supporting one – good chance in a timber frame house that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

measure window. drill four holes from outside in... showing your corner cut points. if there are other windows in the room sit the new window height to match the other window height. measure from the top rather than the bottom. in other words both windows measure same from their top to the ceiling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

Thats great lads. Thanks very much. I have a general idea of how to make the hole. Just one more thing, do you know a company that will make a frame simular to that in the picture above?

What Im doing is trying to install a window in a radio studio into a plaster wall that will look exactly like the photo above however I have no experience or idea what Im doing but I really wana give it a shot.

The only part now that reall gets me is how do I get the frame like that and how do i get the glass into it.

The help has been very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Pantsless wrote:
    The only part now that reall gets me is how do I get the frame like that and how do i get the glass into it.

That frame you see in the picture is just a door frame made from pine. I don't know what they call it in the trade but it is 4 X 2 with a rebate for the glass (or door if your were fitting a door) mitred in the corners or you could just butt them together. The door frame is then fitted flush with your plasterboard both sides and then there is a pine architrave tacked around it. The reason it looks good is that I gave it four or five very fine coats of clear varnish, rubbed off with wire wool each time - that brings out the yellow pine nicely.

Total cost DIY door frame €14, architrave €19 euro and glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is the wall stud or plastered block. Makes a big difference. Dadidoco's method will work well for a stud wall, but bare in mind that a 5 foot x 3 foot might not be possible, and the size is set be the studs.

• Advertisement

Nothing to stop you having a pair of 14" windows side by side, this way you won't lose any structural strength in the stud wall.

Advertisement