Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poisoned meat in Bray Peoples Park

Options
  • 05-01-2007 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

This is the second time that I know of in the last few weeks, Cooked chicken laced with strychnine is being scattered in the peoples park in Bray. At least 3 dead dogs that I know of and probably multiple wild animals and birds. The vet confirmed that there was enough strychnine to kill 20 dogs on one piece of chicken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

That's terrible.

A neighbour of my in-laws (we still don't know which it was, but have our suspicions) threw a sausage, with a razor blade embedded into it, into the garden in the hope their dog would eat it, as there had been complaints of barking. God only knows why the dog didn't eat the sausage. Perhaps she just hadn't spotted it!

What the neighbour(s) might have neglected to consider was because of the barking none of the houses in the immediate vacinity were ever burgled. Since then, the dog is kept in most of the time and there have been a couple of burglaries since then. I can only hope one of those burgled was the person who threw in the sausage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

That's sickening.
    Even if your dog is on a lead, you can't watch them 100% of the time to see what they're sniffing at.
    What does this sick idiot want? muzzles for corgies?!
    What if some toddler picked it up... Jesus I thought junkies leaving used syringes around the place was bad... that's just pure evil.
    I sincerely hope there is a hell for these shíts to burn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

B@stard!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Both items in the top two posts are absolutely disgusting....How anyone could do that to an animal...people can be soo ignorant:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

You would be amazed how cruel people can be, and how many are!
    Which is one of the reasons I firmly believe indoor controlled pet ownership is the only safe way for responsible pet ownership.

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

My cat was poisoned with strychnine once... the vet thought she was going to die. Her convulsions were so bad that in order to sedate her, the vet had to give her enough to knock out a large dog (her words). It took her two weeks to recover, no joke. How she didn't die, or wasn't paralysed permanently, I don't know. The vet took her home with her to look after her through the night because she was so seriously unwell. When I got her back from the vet's, her hind legs were paralysed and she still insisted on dragging herself across the room to follow me. However that same day they started working again and she was alright :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

a vet told me once that death by posioning causes the most horrific painful slow death for an animal.....

It does...
    In some cases, disolving their insides while they are still conscious and in agony over a period of hours, and somtimes days.

It is disgracefull and disgusting behaviour and this person needs to be caught.
    He is not only a danger to animals, but also to small children.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Sickening, absolutely sicking.

Thanks Baraboo for letting us know about this, I have told everyone I know around that area and asked them to pass on the info to others.

I hope they catch the b*st*rds, actually I hope some big strong dog owner catched them and beats them senseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

This actually happened to my aunts dog in the peoples park but it was at least five years ago and not sure if it was strychnine but the dog died and she was devastated. These people are sick! It's all just a joke to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's absolutely disgusting that people can do something like that.

Where in gods name would they get the poison in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

That's absolutely horrific and and scares me to bits as I had been thinking of trying the People's Park as a change. My westie eats anything he can get his fangs on and would gobble up chicken.

There's been no local reports of this has there? It should at least be in the Bray People so dog owners can be warned to avoid the park. Should I give them a buzz? What local vets saw the reaults of this insanity?

What sick people there are out there - and thanks a mil for the timely warning.

Goffie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

It's absolutely disgusting that people can do something like that.

Where in gods name would they get the poison in the first place?

You can get rat poison and the like anywhere.

A few years back i had two cats that just kept sitting by my garden pond driknking the water in a space of a month.

They were very lethargic and i managed to get one and called the cat people in (they came out at 10pm..bless) who said it had been poisoned and was going for the water. The second i couldn't get to, i saw it by my door crying one day, then when i came out it was under the car dead it was not nice to see tbh.

I let it be known to the residents group that this was happening and i have had no re-occurrences.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A bit off-topic, I know, but just as a matter of interest, if a cat eats a mouse that itself has been killed by poison, is there enough of it in their system to harm the cat at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

A few years ago, someone was poisoning cats with strychnine in greystones. My beloved Chester was one of those killed & he only ever went out for a short while when I was there. Another family lost all their cats.
    These people are sick. They've no idea of the pain they cause.:confused:

Alun wrote:
    A bit off-topic, I know, but just as a matter of interest, if a cat eats a mouse that itself has been killed by poison, is there enough of it in their system to harm the cat at all?

Depends on how much and what the mouse consumed before dying and how long its body had been lying around before being found my kitty.

I would definitely say err on the side of caution and get the cat to a vet asap!! (And bring mouse if possible).

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

Thanks for the tip off, I bring my dog to the Peoples Park sometimes, not too recently though thankfully. I cannot believe how sick some people are..... Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

That is just.. words cannot discribe how wrong that is, I hope they are caught.

Though, here we have our own problems with dogs, basically our family next door are often away for a most of the day (school and work) and they have 3 dogs and 3 cats. The dogs, especially the older one (11) comes down here and happily lets herself inside unless we keep the door locked. I hate that dog that comes down, but as much as I do, I wouldnt dream of doing something as sick as that.. I even point out to people NEVER to give her chicken bones or chocolate as they are dangerous and toxic.

I was always told that cats wont eat anything that has been poisoned like a piece of meat, though dogs will eat till they puke (well labs do anyway).

I was always told that cats wont eat anything that has been poisoned like a piece of meat, though dogs will eat till they puke (well labs do anyway).

Cats will eat poisened food too. Some cats arent as fussy / hungry as othes.
    Trust me, our girl has to be stopped from eating stale food out of the dustbin, we had to move it from the kitchen to the living room.
    Yes, our dustbin is in our living room ;)

B

Advertisement