Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beruthiel's problem??

Options
  • 05-01-2007 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

I opened a thread this morning asking about receding gums in the Personal Issues forum. Beruthiel closed the thread leaving a crappy one line reason stating it was not a medical forum! I know it's not! I was asking a question as others could offer some advice to me before I see the dentist in 2 weeks.

Some of the mods on boards could do with coming off their damn power trips. Treat some of the users with a small bit of respect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

FFS. Read your own post.

Do you think Boards Ltd. has malpractice insurance? Sorry, it doesn't.

And stop trying to make it out it has anything to do with an individual mod. Clearly the first mod to come to that would have done the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Talliesin wrote:
    FFS. Read your own post.

Do you think Boards Ltd. has malpractice insurance? Sorry, it doesn't.

And stop trying to make it out it has anything to do with an individual mod. Clearly the first mod to come to that would have done the same thing.

I did read it and I dont see anything wrong with it. I was only asking a question about it, looking for advice from people who had the same problem. Christ I thought thats what a forum was for.

Okay. You go and arrange malpractice insurance for Boards Ltd. and pay for it and I'll unlock the thread.

I'll even delete the sticky at the top of the forum entitled "This is NOT a medical board. ** Please Read **" so you don't have to worry about being too lazy to read the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I did read it and I dont see anything wrong with it. I was only asking a question about it, looking for advice from people who had the same problem. Christ I thought thats what a forum was for.
    It is. Except when asking for actual qualified advice.
    The assertion here has always been that if you come along and ask "how do I stop receding gums?". Another poster may come along and say, "Put a layer of lead along your gums each night before you go to bed". There are a lot of sick people on the net. Someone would post something like this, in the hope that you would do it. Then when you end up in hospital with lead poisoning, boards.ie can end up in trouble for providing medical advice.

I'm not saying that you are stupid and would take bad advice. But there are a lot of stupid people about, and a lot of sick people to prey on them. Where medical or legal advice are requested on boards.ie there's a blanket ban to avoid the above situation.

It has nothing to do with you, with any individual mods, with power trips or respect. It's one of the few across-the-board rules, and it's not going to change.

seamus wrote:
    It is. Except when asking for actual qualified advice.
    The assertion here has always been that if you come along and ask "how do I stop receding gums?". Another poster may come along and say, "Put a layer of lead along your gums each night before you go to bed". There are a lot of sick people on the net. Someone would post something like this, in the hope that you would do it. Then when you end up in hospital with lead poisoning, boards.ie can end up in trouble for providing medical advice.

I'm not saying that you are stupid and would take bad advice. But there are a lot of stupid people about, and a lot of sick people to prey on them. Where medical or legal advice are requested on boards.ie there's a blanket ban to avoid the above situation.

It has nothing to do with you, with any individual mods, with power trips or respect. It's one of the few across-the-board rules, and it's not going to change.

Thanks Seamus. Thats all I needed to hear. All I wanted was an explanation from someone, not a cocky one liner that doesnt even explain what I did wrong.

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote:
    Okay. You go and arrange malpractice insurance for Boards Ltd. and pay for it and I'll unlock the thread.

I'll even delete the sticky at the top of the forum entitled "This is NOT a medical board. ** Please Read **" so you don't have to worry about being too lazy to read the rules.

A little courtesy goes a long way Talliesin. Take a look at Seamus post. At least he explained the situation instead of being a smart ass. I apologise for not reading the sticky on the page, and it sure as hell doesnt make me lazy.

Actually that doesn't explain what you did wrong either.

What you did wrong was you didn't think and you didn't read.

Please read any stickies at the top of the forums with "charter", "please read", "read before posting" or similar in them. Scanning charters will generally be enough, but you've already had this explained to you in the sticky labelled "This is NOT a medical board. ** Please Read **".

When you unfairly accuse someone of having a problem, being on a power-trip and being disrespectful I'll be as cocky as I damn well please.

I am courteous, "a gentleman is someone who is never unintentionally rude". You fell below the level of courtesy at the word "problem" and kept digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

[...] stating it was not a medical forum! I know it's not! I was asking a question as others could offer some advice to me before I see the dentist in 2 weeks.
    You did not state any of the sort. You asked for medical advice.
    I did read it and I dont see anything wrong with it. I was only asking a question about it, looking for advice from people who had the same problem.
    Wrong, you posted this:
    Is there any way to stop receding gums or to bring gums back if they have started to recede?
    Where do you say that you are going to a dentist in two weeks? I think you need an opthalmologist also dude.
    Some of the mods on boards could do with coming off their damn power trips. Treat some of the users with a small bit of respect.
    Some users on boards should cop the f*ck on and treat the mods and the forums they moderate with a little respect and brainwave obviousness.

There is a fine line and a grey area between a personal issue and medical advice. I would like you to study the descriptive diagram before posting on Personal Issues again thanks.

medfx9.jpg

Talliesin wrote:
    Actually that doesn't explain what you did wrong either.

What you did wrong was you didn't think and you didn't read.

Please read any stickies at the top of the forums with "charter", "please read", "read before posting" or similar in them. Scanning charters will generally be enough, but you've already had this explained to you in the sticky labelled "This is NOT a medical board. ** Please Read **".

When you unfairly accuse someone of having a problem, being on a power-trip and being disrespectful I'll be as cocky as I damn well please.

I am courteous, "a gentleman is someone who is never unintentionally rude". You fell below the level of courtesy at the word "problem" and kept digging.

The post was closed without even explaining what I had done wrong. All B had to do was point me to the sticky above and I wouldve understood why the thread was closed. I was there looking for advice and maybe to set my mind at ease before the professional appointment.

I asked Beruthiel what I had done wrong, got no reply so came to the Helpdesk for an answer. Closing a thread without an explanation simply leaves users confused and annoyed. It takes 2 seconds more to write an explanation like Seamus did.

Dont attack my character Talliesin when you know nothing about me. I have already apologised to Beruthiel.

The post was closed without even explaining what I had done wrong.
    Beruthiel wrote:
    This is not a medical forum.
    Dont attack my character Talliesin when you know nothing about me.
    Don't attack all mods by saying they are on power trips when you know nothing about them, and seemingly nothing about the rules of specific fora and/or boards.ie as a whole.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    You did not state any of the sort. You asked for medical advice.

Wrong, you posted this:

Where do you say that you are going to a dentist in two weeks? I think you need an opthalmologist also dude.

Some users on boards should cop the f*ck on and treat the mods and the forums they moderate with a little respect and brainwave obviousness.

There is a fine line and a grey area between a personal issue and medical advice. I would like you to study the descriptive diagram before posting on Personal Issues again thanks.

Gordon, I asked for advice. I didnt realise I was looking for medical advice. I simply wanted to know if there was anything I myself could do. I obviously worded it wrong.

I treat all forums and mods with respect and have done since I joined boards.ie. I wanted to know why the thread was closed, thats all. I came here asking and was given a cocky answer when all I needed was an explanation like Seamus gave.

And thanks for the diagram. Maybe you should be a comedian instead of a mod.

Gordon wrote:

And thats an explanation of what I had done wrong???

It takes 2 seconds more to write an explanation like Seamus did.
    Please type out seamus' post and tell me exactly how long it took you to type.
    And thats an explanation of what I had done wrong???
    Yes it is.
    Gordon, I asked for advice. I didnt realise I was looking for medical advice. I simply wanted to know if there was anything I myself could do. I obviously worded it wrong.
    You were asking for medical advice. You didn't word it wrong, whatever you posted would essentially be- "What can I do to fix this medical problem temporarily until I go to the dentist?" That = medical advice.
    I treat all forums and mods with respect and have done since I joined boards.ie. I wanted to know why the thread was closed, thats all. I came here asking and was given a cocky answer when all I needed was an explanation like Seamus gave.
    Then why didn't you PM Beruthiel?
    And thanks for the diagram. Maybe you should be a comedian instead of a mod.

What makes you think I am not a comedian in meatspace? I tell fabulous silly jokes at parties. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having photoshop as a medium of comedic verse there though.

Gordon wrote:
    Please type out seamus' post and tell me exactly how long it took you to type.

Cop on Gordon. My point is that it wouldnt have taken much to give a simple explanation as to what I had done wrong. Yes, I could have worded my post differently and asked the question a different way. But Beruthiel could also have expanded on the reason for closing the thread. At least Seamus gave an explanation.

The post was closed without even explaining what I had done wrong.
    No, it was explained to you before you even posted.
    All B had to do was point me to the sticky above and I wouldve understood why the thread was closed.
    Would you like her to hold your hand crossing the road too?
    I asked Beruthiel what I had done wrong, got no reply so came to the Helpdesk for an answer.
    Wrong, you came to the helpdesk to call someone a power-tripping disrespectful person with a problem.
    Closing a thread without an explanation simply leaves users confused and annoyed.
    Not starting threads that will obviously have to be closed leaves moderators happy and at peace with the world.
    Dont attack my character Talliesin
    I didn't attack your character. This may well be the first time in your life when you were impolite and disrespectful for no good reason. In which case you will probably find me adopting a very different tone should we encounter each other again. However the fact remains that you reacted to your own laziness and/or stupidity by abusing someone else, so don't expect me to come across like Emily Post being introduced to a meeting of world leaders.

Cop on Gordon. My point is that it wouldnt have taken much to give a simple explanation as to what I had done wrong. Yes, I could have worded my post differently and asked the question a different way. But Beruthiel could also have expanded on the reason for closing the thread. At least Seamus gave an explanation.
    RTFC

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Hi whitelightrider, I can see that you haven't found this episode satisfactory in terms of your treatment by Beruthiel or the responses on this thread, which have been hostile.

However, Talliesin's quote reflects my initial impression:
    Talliesin wrote:
    Wrong, you came to the helpdesk to call someone a power-tripping disrespectful person with a problem.

When people give up their free time to look after forums during the day and get berated in such a manner before an explanation is received then it will inevitably rub people up the wrong way.

In fairness to the OP, he re-assessed his approach here and apologised in PM after the thread was locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement