Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really "Z-List" Celebs?

Options
  • 05-01-2007 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

The headlines regarding the new spate of Celeb Big Brother contestants haven't been kind - they have been described as Z-list.

I don't know about this. There could be worse....

Jermaine Jackson was one of the Jackson 5!

Dirk Benedict was a huge star in the A-Team!

Leo Sayer has numerous musical accolades!

Shilpa Shetty has a huge Bollywood career!

'H' and Jo from Steps and S-Club respectively, well, lets not forget just how much both of their bands dominated the charts at one point (I'm not calling the bands credible by any stretch, but if you are talking headlines, fame and musical achievements chart wise...)

Ken Russell is actually a renowned director.

Maybe they don't dominate the headlines these days, but these names at least have had what you would call actual fame and celebrity status at some point in their lives compared to what we define as 'celebrity' these days. What 'celebrity' who is currently receiving lots of work and doesn't need publicity is going to go in there anyway?

I don't think it will top last years for sheer entertainment value, but as far as celebrity goes, the contestants in this years CBB actually have more combined accolades to their names than those who participated last year and those who recently participated in 'I'm a Celebrity get Me Out of Here', yet there is no mention of that.

Thoughts??

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I would agree with you, Donny and Danielle I'm not so sure about though.. Cleo I've never heard of but I know the Kenny Everett Show was huge so I'm not doubting her fame..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

xzanti wrote:
    I would agree with you, Donny and Danielle I'm not so sure about though.. Cleo I've never heard of but I know the Kenny Everett Show was huge so I'm not doubting her fame..

Agreed! I excluded Donny and Danielle (and Cleo) cos I thought that they fill the "not so famous" boots that seem to appear on every one of these shows, but I do feel they are in the minority on this show!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

To be honest they're less Z-list than last years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

more hasbeens then zlist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

There's always a couple of Z-list 'celebs' thrown in but this year is no worse than any other year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Agreed, but god they seem to have gotten the most boring lot EVER! I don't think I'll be watching any more of it!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I wonder are the producers trying to appeal to an older audience- most of these celebs are from the 80's. They've fairly good karma about them, all of the 80's people have a good reputation. Fairly easy going I'd say. Not sure about Jermaine or Shilpa, I don't know much about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I haven't really watched it yet properly because I just came back from London last night, but they all seem to be getting on. I know it's a bit mean but I like to watch Big Brother for the fights and the b1tchiness! I mean it's always good to watch people getting on (especially a couple) if it's interesting so here's hoping... Early days yet, anyway. I'm sure there'll be lots of b1tching going on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Agreed, but god they seem to have gotten the most boring lot EVER! I don't think I'll be watching any more of it!:(

Agreed, it's shockin this year. I'm finding it completely unwatchable at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

While I would agree that most of the participants are "older" I wouldn't say z-list, maybe off the shelf a bit, bar Shilpa who still has an ongoing career (but not known in mainstream britan), and possibly the rag hag (journalist, can't rem her name, but she's a mouth anyway!) most of the others are beyond the sell by date, but at least have character.

JADE! for christ sake, will her mother please shut up! She's (mother) only on on because of Jade (who's only on cause she's thick and were laughing AT her...).

Will someone please tell Jade to not use words of more than one silly-bull, as it's very painful! Also where the F did she get the idea that she was the 25the most ifler... inflat... inph... I-N-F-L-E-W-E-N-T-I-A-L (very sic!) person "IN THE WORLD"

Might "The World" be some kind of edition of "The Sun" or "Star" for people with a lower IQ than the standard glass of water??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Much better to have a bunch of has-beens on TV than to have house full of never-were's (or hopefully in the case of regular BB contestants 'never-will-be's').

I mean look at that fat pig they have in there now Jade Goodyear. She's a famous millionaire now, for what exactly tho I still don't actually know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Dirk is in ti because of the horrific nostalgia wave we mid 30's types are subjected to day after day by bloody C4 and its digiatal spin offs (not forgetting Sky One over the christmas) and more specifically "Bring back the A-Team" show that Justin Lee Collins did last year.

Ken Russell apparently is a big fan of BB, and just wanted to do it for a laugh.

I'm sure Shilpa is there as a means to attract the massive Indian/Pakistani demographic and she may be getting a massive big wad of cash. From her viewpoint she possibly dosnt know what BB actually is before she agreed.

Jermaine, I wouldnt be surprised if David Guest had something to do with him being in there, as he got on so well with UK audiences he may have said, "everyone will love you".

Leo Sayer, Cleo, and the others are in there for the aul kickstart effect, God love them.

As for Jade and co, Christ knows. She has run out of ideas, although, I'm sure she'll in in Heat and Closer and Star and Now for the next few months because of it. That's all she wants, isnt it, and she'll do anything for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

big brother is worth watching this year alone for the stunningly beautifull shilpa
    the woman is a feast for my eyes and any other man apart from H maybe
    she also loves to cook
    jades mom is the personification of white trash, great news tonight , she,s out

Advertisement