Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The End of an Affair

Options
  • 05-01-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    After months of stalking, I finally pounced last weekend and splashed out on a Toshiba 37" WLT66. Got it for a great price in Dixons - €1299. While initially the budget was a grand, the prospect of such a nice big tv drove me onwards and upwards.

But she'll be going back to the shop this weekend.

Why?

I think the overall reason is the underwhelming performance of LCDs with NTL digital and the fact that the tv cannot pick up Irish cable frequencies. Yes, a tv bought in Jervis st shopping centre isn't compatible with Irish cable frequencies (VHF as opposed to the English UHF standard).
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055035525

The sheen is well and truely gone.

Now don't get me wrong. Dvds (normal ones) looked absolutely stunning and I'd say HD-DVDs would blow your socks off. The 360 too, looked amazing. Vivid colours, deep blacks, no noticeable motion blurring or ghosting were all plusses on this set. Two hdmi ports, component, vga and aerial.

But NTL digital looked cack on it. Not all channels - rte looked fine as did a few other channels. But Sky one and most others looked rubbish. And I know it's NTLs fault. But my heart sank as I turned on a piece of electronics that cost me so much and i was faced with pixelated crap. :(

So where now? Back to Dixons for a refund. I may get a smaller screen soley for 360 gaming.

But LCD + NTL digital = letdown. I know sky digital is alot better. But, for me, big screen HD lcd tech (of the reasonable variety. maybe a 2.5k sony is great but I can't afford that) isn't worth the expence.

The aerial incompatibility issue pushed me over the edge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What u want is the Sharp LC-37XD1E

Getting fantastic reviews, Pics below are Standard Def.. Think its sky digital.

hd3mf0.jpg

hd4li5.jpg

hd1oi4.jpg

I was convinced they where HD at first but they aint...

DID is the place to get one, wont have any in stock till the end of the month/feb.. U'll have to put ur name down tho, they're selling out fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Had a problem on NTLs picture quality alright. God forbid you go to into the guide to see how crap the PQ is on the little video box.

I put my NTL box through my Kiss PVR and it smoothed out the picture. It made it easier to watch.

Sky PQ looks 5 times better on an LCD than NTL digital does

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

unklerosco wrote:
    DID is the place to get one, wont have any in stock till the end of the month/feb.. U'll have to put ur name down tho, they're selling out fast...

Holy crapola. That's some image. How much is it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Think it'll be about €16-1700 when it comes out....

unklerosco wrote:

Too rich for my blood dude :o

Anyone know anyplace in town that has 27" Sharp Aqua's?

• Advertisement

Update: Went back to Dixons yesterday.

Never EVER EVER again will I buy something from Dixons. No quibble return my hole.

I dragged the box back to the shop (again, a major pain cos I don't have wheels). ZERO apologies, zero respect. I explained the problem and the head guy and a little monkey guy proceeded to discuss the situation as if I wasn't there. Try this do that. 'He probably didn't try that' with me standing two ****ing feet away. :mad:

Then they had a good smirk about the fact that they've sold shedloads of them this week.

So I waited for 40 minutes whilst they ****ed around, called some guy who looked at the tv (that I had to help lift out of the box and set up, then stand back and be ignored), called another guy, served somebody else, messed around some more...

I'd edit my post in the sticky thread if I could.

Retailer Satisfaction: Very unhappy. The majority of staff were rude, unhelpful, clueless and patronising (There were exceptions but even the nice fellas didn't have a clue).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Did you expect any better sevrice from Dixons? I would buy from them if the price was right but I would expect bad service from the goons who work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

quad_red wrote:
    Update: Went back to Dixons yesterday.

Never EVER EVER again will I buy something from Dixons. No quibble return my hole.

I dragged the box back to the shop (again, a major pain cos I don't have wheels). ZERO apologies, zero respect. I explained the problem and the head guy and a little monkey guy proceeded to discuss the situation as if I wasn't there. Try this do that. 'He probably didn't try that' with me standing two ****ing feet away. :mad:

Then they had a good smirk about the fact that they've sold shedloads of them this week.

So I waited for 40 minutes whilst they ****ed around, called some guy who looked at the tv (that I had to help lift out of the box and set up, then stand back and be ignored), called another guy, served somebody else, messed around some more...

I'd edit my post in the sticky thread if I could.

Retailer Satisfaction: Very unhappy. The majority of staff were rude, unhelpful, clueless and patronising (There were exceptions but even the nice fellas didn't have a clue).

so did you get your refund?

what Dixons was this?

Twas Dixons Jervis St. And I did get a refund minus the cost of getting the tv home and back to them again. As well as the trouble.

One of the main reasons I went bricks and mortar is that I'd have a comeback even something went wrong and if I didn't like the set. They assured me that they'd take it back if I felt it was too big for the room etc.

No way. I would've been sunk if that'd happened.

They contested it to the full even with a major issue like NOT BEING ABLE TO PICK UP CABLE TV. I suppose I didn't expect them to be experts. But a basic awareness of a major issue with the set would be nice. And a willingness to at least acknowledge that this was their f**k up and the trouble they caused me.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

if you just don't like a tv you purchased or ntl's picture quality on certain channels is bad, this wouldnt entitle you to a refund... ie. there is nothing wrong with the tv.

In your case however, the fact that there is no vhf tuner, and you were not informed at the time of purchase (were you?) you are entitled to one.

• Advertisement

brian_rbk wrote:
    if you just don't like a tv you purchased or ntl's picture quality on certain channels is bad, this wouldnt entitle you to a refund... ie. there is nothing wrong with the tv.

I am aware of that. I voiced my concerns over size/quality etc and the Dixons guy who sold me the tv assured me that there'd be no problem returning it if it was too big/didn't suit. The implication was that a refund would be proferred but certainly a no questions asked exchange for a different model was stated.

This was certainly not the case.
    brian_rbk wrote:
    In your case however, the fact that there is no vhf tuner, and you were not informed at the time of purchase (were you?) you are entitled to one.

I was not informed. Furthermore, when I explained to them what the situation was they didn't give a s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

unklerosco wrote:

i rang D.I.D and they said its on special order for 2000 euro
    disgrace of a price
    :mad:

is there any place that has the Sharp LC-37XD1E instock today

Advertisement