Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

• 05-01-2007 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭

Taking Astrofools advice to start a new thread for 2007

Brown says he's going nowhere and would love to finish his career at Man Utd.

Will be interesting to see if United go for Owen Hargreaves during this transfer window.

Cannot wait for Larrsons introduction to the lineup on Sunday against Villa in the cup!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Apparently we had a bid rejected for young Christian Bale. Seems like a talent but the saints dont want to let him go and this is following a lot of interest from numerous Premiership clubs.
    And according to the (titter) Mirror, We will be making a move on David Bentley if Hargreaves falls through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Havent seen much of Bale but by the sounds of Mr. Joesoap he is quality, however we dont need a left back. In particular we dont need to spend huge sums on a left. That money is better spent elsewhere.

As for David Bentley.....

Yeah seriously lets not go there. If fergie even thinks about it, i may have to slap him. I dont want to. And the man deserves more respect than that. But really.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Bentley thing is like the Steven Reid rumour which started last season. As a Blackburn fan I would be happy if Bentley stayed, he has scored some great goals but might have some consitentcy issues. I doubt very much he is a target for Man U.

Thats true. I wasnt knocking Bentley, its just laughable if Ferguson thinks that that is the kind of player that they actually need going forward. i am fed up of all these utility midfield joes coming and going from season to season. The names change but the calibre is consistently inconsistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Thats true. I wasnt knocking Bentley, its just laughable if Ferguson thinks that that is the kind of player that they actually need going forward. i am fed up of all these utility midfield joes coming and going from season to season. The names change but the calibre is consistently inconsistent.

good post. Im tired of it all too. There is very little available quality out there, and although Owen Hargreaves will improve us in one sense, but surely there is better?

Nope, Im kidding myself. There isnt any available.

Also WM Jumpa said something to me the other day that kinda bugged me...He was of the opinion that if we were to sign Hargreaves we might revert back to that 4-5-1 or 4-3-3w, whatever you want to call it.

I hope not

Bayern agree to let hargreaves go, but not for less than 20 million.
    :eek: That must be the end of that for now.... And the guy still isnt cleared to return to training.
    Seriously 20 million quid? Thats silly money, but it always seems to be the way when Utd have a serious target. I just hope they dont move Heinze the other way to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

so they'll get him for around 17million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

What do United fans think the rest of the season holds for Saha, will probably take him out of my fantasy team, due to injury and dip in form but mainly due to competition for places now that Ole is flying again and Henrik is in, do people think he will hold his place as first team starter??

Although Bayern probably talking Euro and Utd dealing in Sterling....

• Advertisement

event wrote:
    so they'll get him for around 17million

Maybe less, he wants out, they now want rid of him and Man U are the only interested side ( as far as we know )

I like Saha. He has had a dip in form lately, but he is not one of those players that shuts up shop in the big games. He may be squad rotated, but I would still think that Ferguson will put him above Ole in the pecking line. He has a cool head and the ability to keep an attack going. Where a lot of strikers would automatically shoot, he tends to play the wiser through ball, and I think his awareness of other players is one of his biggest strengths. With Larsson coming in, I could see Rooney being "rested" for a few games, though I dont know if this is the best idea. It depends on what happens to Rooney in the 2nd half of the season. He hasnt been impressive lately, you can see that he lacks confidence, but surely dropping him for a few games will only affect him adversely. It seems to me that Saha and Rooney are not exactly gelling perfectly at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

So much for the stubborn stance of a few weeks ago then...every player has a price - in this case, an inflated one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Bayern agree to let hargreaves go, but not for less than 20 million.
    :eek:
    Madness.
    He is prob worth about £7m at the most.
    Extremely average footballer.

Trilla wrote:

Also WM Jumpa said something to me the other day that kinda bugged me...He was of the opinion that if we were to sign Hargreaves we might revert back to that 4-5-1 or 4-3-3w, whatever you want to call it.

I hope not

I fully believe if Hargreaves comes in we will play Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves in the midfield. It will be back to the days of Veron, Keane and Scholes in the midfield and RVN up top on his own.

What do United fans think the rest of the season holds for Saha, will probably take him out of my fantasy team, due to injury and dip in form but mainly due to competition for places now that Ole is flying again and Henrik is in, do people think he will hold his place as first team starter??

Well if Saha is playing dirt, then that opta index table is a load of balls cas he came 3rd in the month

According to Skysports Hargreaves's is not back in full training yet. Unlikely Man U would bother sigining him till Summer and maybe by then they would have found someone better. With Milan mid table in Serie A maybe they could knock on Gattauso's door again in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I fully believe if Hargreaves comes in we will play Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves in the midfield. It will be back to the days of Veron, Keane and Scholes in the midfield and RVN up top on his own.

i reckon he will rotate carrick and hargreaves, dont think he will go to one up front

Ronaldo going nowhere

Interesting comment made by Fergie in that article, even though we heard it before!
    We may sign someone in January, there maybe a couple of signings in January. Who knows? We are looking into some things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

i think if hargreaves comes (id prefer barton for £5.5m over £17m hargreaves anyday) it will be giggs dropped for the big games
    vds
    nev---rio
    vidic
    heinze/evra
    hargreaves

carrick
    scholes
    ronaldo

rooney

saha

• Advertisement

I can't see Fergie rotating Hargreaves and Carrick if the former signs. £20m for a squad player? Unlikely. I don't think they need to spend so much on one player that could well disrupt the team if he starts alongside Carrick, Scholes, Giggs and Ronaldo. Imo our 4-4-2 is working brilliantly - why disrupt it? Yes, we need cover in midfield but 20m for one overrated player would be better spent on one or even two cheaper midfielders

"Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United are reportedly battling it out to land the services of FC Lyn-Oslo star Chinedu Ogbuke." Skysports.com

If Man U move quick this could be an Obi Mk2. Step in smart and sign up young Ogbuke, he will then has a trade mark change of mind and signs a second "real" contract for Chelsea, bish bash bosh, FIFA step in and Chelsea agree to pay another 12mil to Man U to save face and before you know it Man U will have enough spare cash to pay Bayerns inflated price for the over rated and much loved Hargreaves. Quids in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

£20 million for a player who will add massive options to the squad, for about 5 years (as he is still young)

Phil Bardsley looks like he is off to Villa on loan. Great move for him. Im a big fan of this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

dcarroll wrote:
    i think if hargreaves comes (id prefer barton for £5.5m over £17m hargreaves anyday) it will be giggs dropped for the big games
    vds
    nev---rio
    vidic
    heinze/evra
    hargreaves

carrick
    scholes
    ronaldo

rooney

saha

That should and hopefully will read:

vds
    nev rio vidic heinze/evra
    ronaldo hargreaves scholes giggs
    rooney
    saha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Phil Bardsley looks like he is off to Villa on loan. Great move for him. Im a big fan of this guy.

im not to be honest, another richardson, got a serious attitude issue. though saying that, judging by what happened over the past few days, i think le guen was the issue at rangers, not him. anybody know what is happening to martin? and dong?

players confirmed back -

rossi,bardsley, evans.

players confirmed back out -

bardsley, rose, shawcross, barnes, evans.

heading to the villa match on sunday, cant wait to see larsson lining out.

PHB wrote:
    £20 million for a player who will add massive options to the squad, for about 5 years (as he is still young)

I don't think spending that amount for an "option" is sensible tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

he is a right back as well and with mr neville being older and having a lot of recurring injuries it is a good option

Granted but 20m? There has to be cheaper options out there surely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

If we paid 20 million for Hargreaves we'd be a laughing stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

im not to be honest, another richardson, got a serious attitude issue.

Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't heard anything about that. Was he one of the pro-ferguson lobbyers in the Rangers dressing room so?

In terms of his move to Villa though, its probably a decent move for him. He's just not good enough to even consider using in the United defence this year. I dont see him breaking into the United team in the future and this could probably lead to a permanent deal away from OT at the end of the period.

I have only seen 15 mil stated. that wouldnt really be too bad. yea its over the odds but who isnt these days.

Bardsley was pretty solid defensivly when he came into the squad last year, lacks quite a bit going forward, but so did Neville until he was like 25, so theres plenty of time for him to learn yet.

yes well he should go do it elsewhere like he is doin and not potentially screw up a title win.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    yes well he should go do it elsewhere like he is doin and not potentially screw up a title win.

good point. Hargreaves deal has got to happen soon enough, but like what was said above if we play 20 mil plus for such a player....makes the carrick and shevshenko transfers combined look a bargain!

Now rumours of Reo-Coker have started up. hasnt had the best of seasons for the hammers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pique playing in holding role for Zaragoza tonight vs league leaders Sevilla, why is fergie spending 20 million for a poor english midfielder when this lad is more than good enough to play there.

Sevillas midfield is usually their creative asset, renato or adriano havent had a sniff, Pique who looks wrecked is stopping them everytime.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Could be worse - we could be renewing our interest in Aldo Duscher! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, why hasnt Gattuso's name popped up? He said himself that he'd love to go to Old Trafford, and with Milan underperforming this season, it seems like the right time. He'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than €20 million, and is a far more accomplished player than Hargreaves.

Archimedes wrote:
    Could be worse - we could be renewing our interest in Aldo Duscher! :rolleyes:

:confused:

Whats wrong with Duscher? hes a class player and does what Utd need.

kdjac

Gattuso ain't leaving Milan.

Pique is on a year long loan with no recall, and whle good in the DMC position, isn't good enough for the defensive MC position in midfield. He is a central defender after all.

PHB wrote:
    Gattuso ain't leaving Milan.

Pique is on a year long loan with no recall, and whle good in the DMC position, isn't good enough for the defensive MC position in midfield. He is a central defender after all.

But hes good enough to play there vs the la liga leaders?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

He really is a joy to watch. I mention this because I noticed this stat from Opta.

Player Passes Completion Rate
    Paul Scholes 1,121 91.3%

I think I remember Roy Keane had a 92% completion rate from one of his last seasons, but considering the amount of attacking passes Scholes is playing that figure really is extraordinary.

Kdjac, I could be wrong (as I don't have Sky Sports this year and can't follow La Liga as closely) but don't Sevilla play with a 3 man central midfield?

What I was trying to say was there was a difference between a DMC in a 3 man midfield and a defensive MC in a 2 man midfield. I think Pique is good enough for the former, but not the latter, which is what United need. Either way, I think he'll be a world class CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Mark wrote:
    He really is a joy to watch. I mention this because I noticed this stat from Opta.

Player Passes Completion Rate
    Paul Scholes 1,121 91.3%

I think I remember Roy Keane had a 92% completion rate from one of his last seasons, but considering the amount of attacking passes Scholes is playing that figure really is extraordinary.
    That is really unbelievable stuff. We all know how good Scholsey is so no need to rehash it. I think Fergie came out today or yesterday and said that he should get the player of the year award. As long as it's him or Ronaldo I'll be happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Well Larsson and Ole were magnificent for Man U today in the FA Cup against Villa. I think Ferguson should make ever effort to hang on to Larsson until the end of the season. Surely the lure of a potential Champions League final should be enough! Smith really ought to go out on loan for the rest of the season, because with Rooney, Saha, Larsson and Ole, he won't get a sniff of a game. Same goes for Dong and Rossi.

Well Larsson and Ole were magnificent for Man U today in the FA Cup against Villa..

Larsson was quick, decisive, strong and tricky the whole game. The only reason I think he was taken off waws because of his match fitness, he looked out of breadth coming off. Great performance. Could of had a hatrick.

Ole did well enough, magnificent for 20 odd minutes where he didnt touch the ball much is a bit over the top I gotta say. Though he made a good run for the goal, and got lucky as Kiraly made a complete balls of his shot. Always good a goal is Ole

Welcome to Old Trafford Henrik

It's too Soon for Dong to go out on loan imo. He's been out on loan for about 4 years :) I think we should keep him till the summer, let him get some minutes under his belt, let people see him, then loan him out to an English club for a season.

Rossi should stay and develop with United, other clubs in England aren't as good at developing this kind of player, as he currently needs to be playing within a passing team who know how to get the best out of him.

Smith is still injured, and I'd be wary about loaning him out. I think we should just wait till he gets back to fitness around March or so and give him some games, possibly focusing him entirely on the new season, unless the cover is needed.

Larsson was a joy to watch today. rooney, however, wasnt. he couldnt take anything under control and made so many terrible passes. Carrick was crap too.

Park played a good game with good runs too but I cant help but feel he still lacks confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FYI Martin O'Neill has confirmed he should sign Bardsley on loan this week,

PHB wrote:
    Kdjac, I could be wrong (as I don't have Sky Sports this year and can't follow La Liga as closely) but don't Sevilla play with a 3 man central midfield?

What I was trying to say was there was a difference between a DMC in a 3 man midfield and a defensive MC in a 2 man midfield. I think Pique is good enough for the former, but not the latter, which is what United need. Either way, I think he'll be a world class CB.

No sorta weird formation they start with 4 at the back with Alves and David bombing forward allowing Navas and Adriano to push inside to help Poulsen and Renato who push on to support Kanoute and Fabiano so it ends up being a 2 2 2
    4 type thing :confused:

Pique was immense last night considering Sevilla had 4 strikers on for the end and pushed right up, nothing went tru the middle only Alves on the riight caused problems.

Would see no need to buy hargreaves in the summer if this lad is there already.

kdjac

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Bayern hold off Hargreaves sale, taken from the BBC website:
    Bayern hold off Hargreaves sale
    Owen Hargreaves
    Bayern Munich insist Manchester United target Owen Hargreaves will not be sold in the January transfer window.

The Bundesliga club have put a price of £20m on the England midfielder, 25, but want to keep him until the end of the season even if that offer was met.

Bayern general manager Uli Hoeness told the Welt am Sonntag paper Hargreaves "will definitely not be leaving this winter. Beyond that, we will see".

Hargreaves has not played since breaking his leg last September.

Earlier in the week, Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer told German newspaper Bild that if an offer of £20m was tabled "we would have to think about it".

It's not like I'm saying I want to go to AC or Inter Milan because they're offering me more money

Owen Hargreaves on his desire to join the Premiership

Beckenbauer added: "That is a figure that would allow us to be active in the transfer market."

Hargreaves has been repeatedly linked with United over recent months - with the player admitting he would relish a move to Old Trafford.

Bayern had previously stated that they would not sell a player who last season signed a contract to keep him at the club until 2010.

And Beckenbauer added: "It is normal to want to keep a player who has just extended his contract and who only wants to join another club because they will pay him better."

Hargreaves has always maintained that his desire to play in the Premiership is not motivated by money.

The England midfielder said: "It's about the opportunity to possibly play in another league I haven't played in before, which is also the country I represent and where my family lives.

"It's not like I'm saying I want to go to AC Milan or Inter Milan because they're offering me more money.

"It's because it's England and because Britain is where my family is. My parents and my brothers are in Canada, but the whole of my dad's side of the family is in Bolton and my mum's side is in Rhyl.

"I think some people don't realise that. They think I'm half-German or something, but I'm not. I was brought up by a British family. It just happened to be in Canada."

Hargreaves has been told that he is not ready to return to full training as he recovers from a broken leg.

The 25-year-old sustained the injury in a league match against Arminia Bielefeld in September and had hoped to return in January.

But he is now unlikely to be ready to play against Borussia Dortmund when the Bundesliga restarts after its winter break on 26 January.

Hargreaves had hoped to return to full training with his Bayern team-mates, who are on a training camp in Dubai.

However, tests on his leg revealed the healing process was not as advanced as previously predicted and he will instead only take part in light training.

• Advertisement
Advertisement