Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

United got lucky today, good result though. They'll need to play a lot better at Anfield next weekend to come away with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Massive win for United yesterday. Reminiscent of Chelsea winning at Blackburn last year I thought. Great to see Fergie bring the players down to thank the fans too. I believe that will be a big watershed moment in the title run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What a huge win, incredible goal from Ronaldo, not performing in big moments you say :rolleyes:

Still feel yesterday highlighted the need for a player like Hargreaves to come in and provide some strong physicality in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Rossi scored a peno today in the 3-3 draw against Udinese today. That's two he's gotten at Parma since he moved in the January transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

besty wrote:
    Massive win for United yesterday. Reminiscent of Chelsea winning at Blackburn last year I thought. Great to see Fergie bring the players down to thank the fans too. I believe that will be a big watershed moment in the title run in.

It was an excellent result and i am lucky enough to say i was there. The place was rocking when Ronaldo scored, well it had been all game :p , it was great at full-time every single Utd staff member came down to us before leaving the pitch.

Made me think back to 2003 when he did the same after the 1-1 draw away to Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Made me think back to 2003 when he did the same after the 1-1 draw away to Arsenal

Yeah, same here... It was 2-2 though, Van Nistelrooy and Giggs with the goals. We took the lead then fell behind only for Giggs to grab an equalizer with 25 mins to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Reminded me of the Win against Sheff Wed when Utd won their first Premiership. Ferguson still hasn't learned how to jump in celebration since then. ;)

Trilla wrote:
    Yeah, same here... It was 2-2 though, Van Nistelrooy and Giggs with the goals. We took the lead then fell behind only for Giggs to grab an equalizer with 25 mins to go.

I stand corrected...:p i remember it know RVN's run and goal and then Giggs scoring the equalizer, Sol Campbell was sent off in that game as well if im right

I think we'll be taking a major (yet probably needed) risk by resting Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs and the likes against Reading tonight. Hopefully we'll be still in the Cup tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I see Lille are appealing the Giggs goal again, and again displaying what a small-time club they are in the process. The goal was completely legit, and even if it wasn't, these things happen in football. Bunch of spanners.

Typical French.........:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What exactly could happen were they to "win" this appeal? It'd be like Arsenal appealing to UEFA that Drogba was offside, or Tottenham over that Carroll "save".

You'd think the French would have mastered the art of surrendering by now... :)

Well confirmed earlier today that Fletcher and Ole are out injured. Fletcher(no big loss there) out for 2 weeks and Ole for 4 weeks..........

Hmm, will Larsson's position be reconsidered now with Ole out for 4 weeks? Tomorrow is going to be great :)

Would have liked to see Saha start today against Liverpool with Larsson off the bench. Still the reverse of that isn't too shabby either.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Hmm, will Larsson's position be reconsidered now with Ole out for 4 weeks? Tomorrow is going to be great :)

Don't think it will to be honest, Larsson seems to have made up his mind that he is going back to Sweden. Would love to see him stay though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Is there any free streams for the match?

"Mourinho are you you listening,
    You better keep that trophy glistening,
    We'll be back in May to take it away
    Walking in a Fergie Wonderland"
    :D:D:D

What an amazing result. I think that tips the title into our hands now. We can afford 0 or 1 point from our trip to Stamford Bridge and still come out on top. The goal difference is another big factor in our favour!

John O'Shea > Pelé

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭destraynor

Huge result for United today, they only had a handful of chances, I'd say Liverpool are fuming that once again shoddy goalkeeping costs them so dearly.

Chelsea need to gain 7 points on United to win, and from what they were saying midweek, a loss for United today was a key part of their plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

destraynor wrote:
    Huge result for United today, they only had a handful of chances, I'd say Liverpool are fuming that once again shoddy goalkeeping costs them so dearly.

Chelsea need to gain 7 points on United to win, and from what they were saying midweek, a loss for United today was a key part of their plan.
    Well done to united, as an Everton supporter I was very gratified to see you re-define the term smash and grab. Was particularly delighted for John O’ Shea.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Rooney's fit for the Lille game...thankfully, after Larsson returns to Sweden we're kinda screwed for strikers...completely reliant on Saha and Rooney, hoping neither will get injured...although Smith might get a few games now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Saha injury is meant to be minor, so thank god he'll be back.
    four big big games coming up that could really determine our season, and the luck is turning against United.
    Lille - CL
    Larrsson gone after this. Only two fit strikers of Saha and Rooney.
    Fletcher out for 2 months
    Scholes out for those 3 games due to red card
    Partnership of Carrick - O'Shea/Giggs
    Boro - FA Cup
    Bolton - PL
    Portsmouth - PL

Against Boro our midfield should cope, but against Bolton and Blackburn, we are going to be very very tight. Let's pray for no injury to Saha and Rooney.
    Carrick really needs to step up in those matches. Let's hope Ronaldo gets back to his blistering form, currently he's only playing well, we need him to get back to those Christmas levels, if we can get through these 4 matches, we've got a real chance in all three comps.

Let's just hope that whatever the situation a five man midfield isn't played. Regardless of injuries, 4-4-2 is our best formation and has been since Ferguson arrived. Park is always an option, moving Giggs into the middle. I thought Giggs did well when he played there last season, his experience counts for a lot. Depends on whether we can afford to sacrifice his talent as a winger for the middle, although think Park is an able replacement.

Your'e bang on about Carrick, PHB. He needs to show he's worth his place. Maybe Rossi might be recalled from his loan spell at Parma...it is a bit of an emergency in all fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Smith must be nearly ready to come back, he was on the bench vs reading, i'd like to see him get a game or two if saha is out for a couple.
    Good news about rooney though, that looked nasty at the time, thankfully its only a flesh wound.

I agree, this is teh time Carrick should stand up and be counted, don't get me wrong i think he's done well, but he just needs to put his stamp on games mroe.

I'd even stick Giggs up front and play Park on the left...

I'd even stick Giggs up front and play Park on the left...

That is prob what SAF will do, either Giggs or Ronnie up front or just playing behind Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yep, it's surely Giggsy up front now, can't really see another option. Unless he decided to put Ronaldo up there. He's definately capable, but Giggs is more used to it.

VDS
    Neville
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra (if fit)

Park
    Scholes--Carrick
    Ronaldo

Rooney----Giggs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Why not Larsson? Scholes is a doubt too apparently and evra didnt train so I highly doubt he will play

Id say this will be the team

VDS
    Neville
    Rio
    Vidic
    Heinze

Ronaldo
    O Shea--Carrick----Giggs

Rooney----Larrson

Kuszczak, Smith, Silvestre, Brown, Park, Richardson, Scholes.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Why not Larsson? Scholes is a doubt too apparently and evra didnt train so I highly doubt he will play
    **** where's my head, must have been with all the talk of him leaving :o

SSN are reporting that Scholes is likely to play. I guess Fergie sees him as less of a rish since he'll be missing the next three domestic games anyway.

I guess Fergie sees him as less of a rish since he'll be missing the next three domestic games anyway.

God with Scholes out of those games I'd take 7 points

17 Mar Bolton (H)
    31 Mar Blackburn (H)
    7 Apr Portsmouth (A)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Trilla wrote:
    God with Scholes out of those games I'd take 7 points

17 Mar Bolton (H)
    31 Mar Blackburn (H)
    7 Apr Portsmouth (A)

is he not missing the boro cup game as one of them?

p_larkin99 wrote:
    is he not missing the boro cup game as one of them?
    Yep he is, so it's only two prem games thankfully.

Yep he is, so it's only two prem games thankfully.

Well this would be the only time i would like to see a replay in the cup........that way Scholes would miss the 2 cup games against Boro and only Bolton in the lge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yeah good point...but they should still be expecting to win two home games.

no giggs tonight, rooney out wide:( we are goin to play crap so. it jsut never works when he is out wide. Silvestre left back, o shea , carrick and scholes in the middle. rooney and ronaldo out wide and larsson in the middle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

evad_lhorg wrote:
    no giggs tonight, rooney out wide:( we are goin to play crap so. it jsut never works when he is out wide. Silvestre left back, o shea , carrick and scholes in the middle. rooney and ronaldo out wide and larsson in the middle

Giggs is on the bench. Disappointed with Silvestre being picked at left back ahead of Heinze.

Smith is on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Great Saha is out for a month.

Oh jesus christ, maybe the Larsson might stay :rolleyes:

I can see Rooney and Ronaldo up front.
    The next month is gona be really tough.

At least Solskjaer and Saha could be back for the quarter final. maybe a bayern drawn with a solskjaer hat-trick:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

PHB wrote:
    Oh jesus christ, maybe the Larsson might stay :rolleyes:

I can see Rooney and Ronaldo up front.
    The next month is gona be really tough.
    United were very comfortable tonight, I think Ferguson had the right approach tonight.

As for the striker crisis? I think they'll be ok with Rooney/Smith for two weeks until Ole is back.

Well Ronaldo did it for the 3rd game in a row..........

1) Last min goal at Fulham
    2) Last min free kick against the scousers, which lead to the goal
    3) Great cross for tonights winner

He is having a great season so far............

Other than this i thought we played very poor, giving the ball away too much and not commanding the defence from their free kicks

• Advertisement

You know this is the first time ill say this but I thought Carrick had a good game. never again will i say that.

Rooney had another poor game. his control has gone to the dogs and there are so many wayward passes for someone who is supposed to be world class. I know everyone is goin to say "oh he'll come good soon and it'll stay" but its been going this way for ages excluding one or two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Agree about Rooney. It used to be that defenders would sh*t themselves anytime the ball went to him. Now they just treat him like any other player. I've never seen a striker miscontrol the ball as often as Rooney has in several games this season. Thought O'Shea had a decent 1st half.

Any chance we could recall Rossie from his loan spell at Roma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

madds wrote:
    Agree about Rooney. It used to be that defenders would sh*t themselves anytime the ball went to him. Now they just treat him like any other player. I've never seen a striker miscontrol the ball as often as Rooney has in several games this season. Thought O'Shea had a decent 1st half.

Any chance we could recall Rossie from his loan spell at Roma?

His first touch is shocking ,looks amateurish and his dribbling is poor too,head down and charge stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've given up on Rooney for this season, i'm just hopefull that he can get his act together over the summer, and be ready and actually able for the start of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Thought United done well last night. Lille gave us a good go. They've some tidy players. The left back, Makoun and yer man who loafed silvestre are all decent. There's no chance of United signing any of them though. Did you see ferguson shaking hands with the lille coach at the end of the game? Fergie, he's a sly dog! I'd say he enjoyed that moment. Better luck next year kind of thing.

Would love Larsson to stay myself but maybe its alan Smiths turn to make something of his United career?? I really think if gets a couple of goals in the coming weeks he could be back to his best. He needs to be more ruthless if he;s gonna score more goals. I think at times he wanders out of position. I counted about 3 times where United got the ball and there was no one up top to play the ball to. Maybe he needs to be a little less eager.

Carrick, Neville, Rio and Vidic were all good last night. VDS is in the form of his life aswell. I know lille were a bit blunt in attack but he never spills the ball for long shots and he is quality on crosses. Lets hope we can get a couple more years out of him.

whats the crack with heinze? Fergie seems to have just shut him out. He's one of my favourite United players and i'd hate to see him leave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement