Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd love is Rossi was availible for recall, but I doubt he is.
    Larsson has been great, but to be honest, I prefer Saha up front than him. Larsson and Rooney don't work together, as neither can lead the line. Saha is the guy who can lead as a line as well as anyone. Will be happy when it's him and Rooney back.
    Smith will have to show his worth in the coming games if he wants to be kept this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I was impressed with Smith last night, out for so long and only reserve team games (and the League Cup match against Southend) under his belt and he looked sharpish. I think definitely this is the crucial part of the season, our good luck with injuries has run out, now it's time for the big players - Rooney and Ronaldo especially - to stand up and be counted.

I don't think we'll drop too many, if any, points over the next month or so. Man U have been playing badly, grinding out results and haven't dropped anything in the last while despite this. There's surely a confidence there ie that "we can play rubbish and still win". I wouldn't be overly concerned with the injury situation, Fergie's seen it all before and no doubt he knows the importance of the coming weeks and doubtless he'll let the players know it, if they don't already, too.

I think the experience of VDS, Giiggs, Scholes and Neville will be crucial. One thing which I noticed last night and over the past few "bad" matches was the lack of width in the side. Very seldom did Neville or Silvestre get forward last night...once that width returns, with Giggs, Ronaldo, Evra and Neville in a 4-4-2 I'd be confident the fluidity of the earlier part of the season will return.

And Ronaldo has apparently opened talks on a new deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

good news alright!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6431151.stm

when he scored against Fulham he looked like a player commited to the club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Personally I think Ronaldo is pushing his contract talks to worry United. I reckon he'll give them an ultimatum: pay me a lot more or I'm off to Spain. Think about it, there's no need to consider contract deals until next season at the earliest, '07 - '08. I think he wants to force ManU in to selling him rather than say he is going.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PHB wrote:
    I'd love is Rossi was availible for recall, but I doubt he is.
    Larsson has been great, but to be honest, I prefer Saha up front than him. Larsson and Rooney don't work together, as neither can lead the line. Saha is the guy who can lead as a line as well as anyone. Will be happy when it's him and Rooney back.
    Smith will have to show his worth in the coming games if he wants to be kept this summer.
    I thought Rooney and Larsson had a great partnership. He's the only partner to read rooney's flicks and his clever passes, I'd love to see them play along side each other when rooney is at his peak.

How have we played as a team since they became the main strike partnership?
    United have played poorly with Larsson and Rooney as the lead strikers, even when Larsson was here, it should have been him and Saha leading the line when Saha was fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

How the team have performed is hardly down the to the front pairing. THe problem was/is in midfield and some off days in defense (although the back 4 have been rarely at fault). I'm not so sure Larsson and Saha would have been as good a pairing as rooney and larsson. Ala I doubt we'll ever find out for sure...

How the team have performed is hardly down the to the front pairing.

Tell that to Ruud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Certainly looked to me as if the Rooney & Larsson partnership worked well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

how do you pair Saha and Larrson with Rooney in the team? Please dont say left wing or on the bench...

Bench.
    Just look at the amount of goals we scored with Saha and Rooney in the team, or with Rooney and Larsson in the team.
    Don't get me wrong, Larsson was an incredible player, but for United, he wasn't anywhere near that standerd on a regular basis. Incredibly smart, but ultimately, just too old. Saha is currently a better player than him.
    The way ROoney has been playing of late, he should be dropped.

Decent draw for United. I feel the have the best chance of getting to the final now. Could be good for the neutral as potentially United could play Pool or Chesea in final! Long way to go yet. I fancy our chances against Roma and Milan, Munich will be a little tougher. I'm glad we avoided Valencia and Liverpool!
    PHB wrote:
    The way ROoney has been playing of late, he should be dropped.

PHB, he's been playing poorly but

(a) by his own standards

(b) he like Ronaldo has be involved in alot of the goals that United have totted up in the last 6 games (involved in 7 of those with 3 of them assists and 2 goals).

(c) We just dont have the players at moment to replace him as Ole, Henrik, Saha all out leaving an unfit Smith to partner Rooney. Who else is there -Dong, play Giggs or Scholes up front? I really don't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The United vs Euro XI game is on BBC3, on wednesday at 8, for those with Sky Digital.

PHB, he's been playing poorly but

(a) by his own standards

By anyones standerds. In fact, if anybody elses first touch and general play was as poor as his, they'd be dropped. Rooney is playing just because of rep currently.
    (b) he like Ronaldo has be involved in alot of the goals that United have totted up in the last 6 games (involved in 7 of those with 3 of them assists and 2 goals).

Em, Rooneys involvement has been:

Charlton - Park - Not involved at all
    Charlton - Fletcher - Rooney assist
    Reading - Carrick - Not involved at all
    Lille - Giggs - Not involved at all (well I suppose he put the ball down)
    Fulham - Giggs - Rooney Assist
    Fulham - Ronaldo - Not involved at all
    Reading - Heinze - Not involved at all
    Reading - Saha - Not involved at all
    Reading - Ole - Not involved at all
    Liverpool - O'Shea - Not involved at all
    Lille - Larsson - Not Involved at all

So in all of those goals, he has 2 assists.

(c) We just dont have the players at moment to replace him as Ole, Henrik, Saha all out leaving an unfit Smith to partner Rooney. Who else is there -Dong, play Giggs or Scholes up front? I really don't think so

Duh. I'm not saying he should be dropped now. I'm saying when Larsson was here, him and Saha were our best.
    But he has been playing ****. He really needs to get his form back if we want to challenge in the FA Cup and the CL. In the premiership we also need him in the upcoming games without Scholes.

Yeah you're right, the tide is slightly going against Man U at the moment (with injuries) so it's up to Rooney (and other players: Carrick, Ronaldo [whose form I think has dipped of late]) who hasn't really dictated matches in the way we know how (particularly in relation to Rooney), to step up. Man U need him, more than ever, to be on top form for the next month especially, though I'm sure Fergie will be reminding him of that.

Just reading on manu.com that Saha, Solskjaer and Flethcher are expecyed back sooner than initially thought, Saha and Solskjaer should be available for the Blackburn game - good news! Saha and Solskjaer should be fit anyway for the CL games...team spirit, doggedness and resilience (much like the last few matches!) I think will see Man U through the next few difficult games

PHB wrote:

Charlton - Park - Not involved at all??? really ??? nice little run and pass Wayne
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osTEoYo1zuE

Charlton - Fletcher - Rooney assist

Reading - Carrick - NOT ON PITCH

Lille - Giggs - the whole team was poor enough that night

Fulham - Giggs - Rooney Assist

Fulham - Ronaldo -wonder goal, Rooney waiting unmarked at back post for tap in

Reading - Heinze - NOT ON PITCH

Reading - Saha - NOT ON PITCH

Reading - Ole - NOT ON PITCH

Liverpool - O'Shea - NOT ON PITCH

I was refering to the league, and obviously he cant be involved in goals when he is not on the fúckin pitch! The goals and other assist I was refering to were Watford and Arsenal, were he played really well. I agree slightly he's below par, but drop him for an unfit Saha(which he was) and Larsson..........NO CHANCE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Tauren wrote:
    The United vs Euro XI game is on BBC3, on wednesday at 8, for those with Sky Digital.
    Also on RTE2

• Advertisement

Charlton - Park - Not involved at all??? really ??? nice little run and pass Wayne

Forgotten about that, my mistake.
    Ok, we so have 3 assists.

I was refering to the league, and obviously he cant be involved in goals when he is not on the fúckin pitch!

Yeh, he wasn't on the pitch, but he wasn't involved in the goals either. Obviously he can't be involved if hes not on the pitch, but when he was on the pitch, he wasn't involved in any goals.

Saha has been more impressive this year than Rooney.
    Either way, the important thing is that he picks it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Rooney has been a ****ing joke. And I'm not buying the diatribe Dunphy comes out with about him either, "look at his body language bill, the kid is demoralised, i feel sorry for him...being exploited by Man Utd and England"

I don't care where the **** they play him, if his first touch and general lack of concentration is going to be as bad as it has been, it's not acceptable. And even though he was on the left on formation against Lille, he was drifting behind the front man a lot and he still gave the ball away, terrible first touch and **** passing. No Excuses. If your a top player, u should at least be able to do the simple things rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dong is in the squad today i think for the boro match. would like to see rooney and smith up front, with a cameo from larsson. giggs to play in the middle instead of scholes, with park on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

cheesedude wrote:
    Rooney has been a ****ing joke. And I'm not buying the diatribe Dunphy comes out with about him either, "look at his body language bill, the kid is demoralised, i feel sorry for him...being exploited by Man Utd and England"

I don't care where the **** they play him, if his first touch and general lack of concentration is going to be as bad as it has been, it's not acceptable. And even though he was on the left on formation against Lille, he was drifting behind the front man a lot and he still gave the ball away, terrible first touch and **** passing. No Excuses. If your a top player, u should at least be able to do the simple things rights.

how do you come to this conclusion,he`s not working in a nike factory for a dollar a day in the Philippines,now that exploitation.i agree with your other point though,he has being woefully poor this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He's quoting someone else........................................................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

astrofool wrote:
    He's quoting someone else........................................................................................
    his post is very unclear if so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think its that Dunphy says that crap about him "being exploited by Man Utd and England" and cheesedude heartily disagrees.

Rooney has been terrible alright, very little sign of a 30million player this year.

How has Rossi been doing in Italy, has he been getting goals? If so id say he'd be very annoyed that even Dong looks like getting a chance now, while he was banging in the goals in the reserves for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I think its that Dunphy says that crap about him "being exploited by Man Utd and England" and cheesedude heartily disagrees.

Rooney has been terrible alright, very little sign of a 30million player this year.

How has Rossi been doing in Italy, has he been getting goals? If so id say he'd be very annoyed that even Dong looks like getting a chance now, while he was banging in the goals in the reserves for a few years.

Rossi has scored three goals I think.

In the last two weeks he has scored two penalties in the final minutes and also missed another penalty in one of the games last week.

He's playing every minute of every match which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

county wrote:
    his post is very unclear if so

It's not unclear if you speak English!

Replay has its good side. It means Scholes will be back for the Blackburn game now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I said before the start of the season that the current Manutd team would struggle to get into the top four this season and i honestly can't believe we are top the league at this stage with 8games to go. We here everyone comparing this squad with the treble one of 1999 and it makes me laugh as this current team is no where near as good i think. The current midfield is a joke and with Ronaldo and Scholes this season id hate to think what might have been.

What another shocking performance today at boro and with Larsson heading back now, we only Rooney (who has been rubbish all season i think personally) and Alan Smith who is only back from long term injury and was never a prolific goal scorer. I watched the game against Liverpool last Saturday and everyone knows we were very, very lucky to win and should have lost; we played rubbish and struggled throughout. The simple matter is that we don’t have the players with quality to compete against Arsenal and Liverpool and when we play Chelsea i can see another thrashing on the cards.

We have a decent defense, probably the best in the league i think. I think we have the worse midfielder in Carrick in the league and Mr. Levy must be laughing every time he sees's play a game. I think Ronaldo, Scholes, Vidic and Van Der Saar have been are best players this season. I like Rooney and think he is class, but if was just another Joe Soap he would have been dropped a long time ago. It’s so obvious we need to invest BIG this summer on players. The likes of O'Shea, Fletcher and Richardson (who is shocking player and can't believe he makes the bench) should all be sold in the summer, there not good enough. When we won the treble in 1999 we had practically 2 first teams almost like arsenal, now we have one decent first team and a reserve team. IF we win the league then great, I’ll de delighted and will holds my hands to everyone here, but to say that its one the best squad's ever :D i don’t think so. I think Chelsea having being terrible this season and for that reason we have one and also we have played well at times.

I think we need 3 top midfielders, 2 Strikers and another Winger to replace Giggs. I like to see Hargreaves, Mickoun and Deco come in. This summer is a BIG one for i feel and if SAG fails i think its time he leave's at the end of the 2008 season personally. I think he should have left when he said so.

I look at the Barcelona team and they have class all over midfield and up front. I just believe that Manu should be the same if not better all around.

• Advertisement

I said before the start of the season that the current Manutd team would struggle to get into the top four this season and i honestly can't believe we are top the league at this stage with 8games to go.

So you wouldn't want to take this opportunity to change your mind about the team and accept your opinions of them were completely off the mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I said before the start of the season that the current Manutd team would struggle to get into the top four this season and i honestly can't believe we are top the league at this stage with 8games to go. We here everyone comparing this squad with the treble one of 1999 and it makes me laugh as this current team is no where near as good i think. The current midfield is a joke and with Ronaldo and Scholes this season id hate to think what might have been.

What another shocking performance today at boro and with Larsson heading back now, we only Rooney (who has been rubbish all season i think personally) and Alan Smith who is only back from long term injury and was never a prolific goal scorer. I watched the game against Liverpool last Saturday and everyone knows we were very, very lucky to win and should have lost; we played rubbish and struggled throughout. The simple matter is that we don’t have the players with quality to compete against Arsenal and Liverpool and when we play Chelsea i can see another thrashing on the cards.

We have a decent defense, probably the best in the league i think. I think we have the worse midfielder in Carrick in the league and Mr. Levy must be laughing every time he sees's play a game. I think Ronaldo, Scholes, Vidic and Van Der Saar have been are best players this season. I like Rooney and think he is class, but if was just another Joe Soap he would have been dropped a long time ago. It’s so obvious we need to invest BIG this summer on players. The likes of O'Shea, Fletcher and Richardson (who is shocking player and can't believe he makes the bench) should all be sold in the summer, there not good enough. When we won the treble in 1999 we had practically 2 first teams almost like arsenal, now we have one decent first team and a reserve team. IF we win the league then great, I’ll de delighted and will holds my hands to everyone here, but to say that its one the best squad's ever :D i don’t think so. I think Chelsea having being terrible this season and for that reason we have one and also we have played well at times.

I think we need 3 top midfielders, 2 Strikers and another Winger to replace Giggs. I like to see Hargreaves, Mickoun and Deco come in. This summer is a BIG one for i feel and if SAG fails i think its time he leave's at the end of the 2008 season personally. I think he should have left when he said so.

I look at the Barcelona team and they have class all over midfield and up front. I just believe that Manu should be the same if not better all around.

What a load of tripe, top of the league and have been for most of the seasond still in CL and FA cups yeah terrible team, wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i read the first few lines and stopped, a load of total rubbish, what the hell do you want? i dont think our season could have gone any better so far. we have 6 players injured at the moment and still 6 (9) points clear, in the draw for the semi final of the fa cup and have a decent chance of making the final of the champions league. and we need 6 players? true we need to get rid of 3 players, and possibly get 3-4 in, but if it wasnt for the current injury crisis, then id be more than confident of winning the league and getting to 2 cup finals. its all down to luck now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

They have being awful for ages and ages, it tells you how overhyped and bad the english premiership is that Man Utd are top atm and playing so bad. I hate watching them anymore, they have a few spells in matches where there are good and then there awful for the rest. People must be watching some other team if they think there playing well. Theres only a handful of players that that you could say have played well this season and a loads of them have to be sold which will never happen. I used to enjoy watching them when Beckham was there because of the attacking football they played but nows it more " jesus that players crap!" . Not much of a injury crisis when most of those players arent missed at all, and saha will be back by the end of the month. If arsenal were playing like they were when they went the season unbeaten and chelsea played like they did last season do you think Utd would be top of the league? not a chance in a hell. But we'll have sky sports telling us how competitive the season was.

We have being very lucky this season and without that luck we could have being out of the FA cup if we didnt get that penalty and not so much ahead of chelsea if liverpool had a striker and ronaldo didnt get that late goal against Fulham. This could have turned into a very unsuccessful season. If we win some of these competitions i'll be delighted but if I have to watch this football tripe every year my interest will wane.

it tells you how overhyped and bad the english premiership

Sorry how many teams do they have in the quarters of the CL?
    How many teams does La Liga have in? Or Serie A?
    This could have turned into a very unsuccessful season.

But it didn't. That wasn't to do with luck, Ronaldo's goal against Fulham certinaly wasn't to do with luck.
    If arsenal were playing like they were when they went the season unbeaten and chelsea played like they did last season do you think Utd would be top of the league? not a chance in a hell.

This point people make again and again is stupid. If United played like they did this season last season, do you think Chelsea would have played the same? Not a chance in hell. The point is they didn't! Did you ever ask yourself why?

Football is at the upper levels is about dealing with pressure.
    If United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool played to the top of their game every single week, no other team in the league could beat them, none. But they don't. Why? Because they don't play as well as they can. This is a mental thing about consistancy, and it's greatly affected by pressure.

Chelsea havn't been able to deal with the pressure of being behind United. When they are behind, they have to win every game to hope to catch up to United. They couldn't do this, which is why we're still in front. Sure they hadi injuries, but that's football. Last season we missed Scholes for the whole season, is that the reason we lost?
    Chelsea were behind us before they got their injuries.
    Chelsea lost this season because they messed up at the start, just like United did last year. They didn't hit the ground running, and have been playing catch up all the time.

Maybe Sky overhype the premiership, maybe United aren't as good as they say, but hey, it's not just sky:

Carlo Ancelotti says
    "I would have been more disappointed to have met Roma or Manchester United at this point of the tournament.

"Manchester United is the team that plays the best football in Europe right now."

Just in case you don't know who he is, aside from being an incredible player, (2 Euro Cups with Milan in their legendary team of 1989-90), as a manager he has won Serie A and the Champions League.
    But I assume he just buys into the hype from Sky right?

"Manchester United is the team that plays the best football in Europe RIGHT NOW."

Ancelotti has not being watching Man Utd recently has he? Can you honestly say man utd are playing well atm!

Most of the major european teams have had problems this season with loss of form. AC Milan(5th or something in league), Bayern Munich (sacked there manager), Real Madrid (Capello isnt gonna last much longer), Lyon (Took them ages to win their first game in 2007),Arsenal ( they have bing hit and miss all season), Barcelona ( havent played near as good as last season), Inter/Roma (the italian league has being a disaster this season and it's no suprise these teams are top), Chelsea ( arent playing aswell as last season), Liverpool( dont have a striker and would be fecked without carragher).

Thats most of the teams who were involved in the last round of the champions league. Any team left could win this years champions league seeing how no team is really in top form. European football this season seems to have suffered a major loss of form.

Ronaldo's goal against Fulham had a clear deflection and of course it was luck as it wouldnt have went it without that.

If ppl want to stay in their red bubbles and believe Utd have being brilliant this season then fire ahead. Watch your 10 min highlights on match of the day/ the premiership and believe they have played well because they won a match. I have watched every match this season on satellite tv and I dont remember many matches where they werent playing like a bottom of the table team for periods of the matches.

All this talk about Rooney and Ronaldo not playing well...I'm a little sick of it tbh. 20 mins gone against Middlesbourgh Rooney was brutal. Gave the ball away 3 times and I feared that even though yee lads are a little harsh on him I was starting to see what yee were saying. Then he plays 3 fantastic through balls and took his goal really well while being played out of position for a while. His league record isnt bad in terms of assists (10) and goals (10).

You're right in a way, we should expect more by his standards and transfer fee. I find myself frustrated with the pair cursing at tv screen now and again, but Id hate to see the team without them.

Also, although it means nothing that big, but its the first time I've heard constant complaints about the top midfielder and second striker in premierleague.com in points list!

Ancelotti has not being watching Man Utd recently has he? Can you honestly say man utd are playing well atm!

I'd imagine he keeps up with whats happening in football, just a guess though, he's only the manager of AC Milan. Sure, i'd imagine he just says stuff like that off the top of his head, what the **** does he know? Jesus christ like, what a waster.

No. United aren't playing well, but we're still winning, that's what counts. And we have played some great football this season.
    Ronaldo's goal against Fulham had a clear deflection and of course it was luck as it wouldnt have went it without that.

So you agree for the last two years Chelsea were lucky to win the league, since they have about 500 deflected goals?
    I have watched every match this season on satellite tv and I dont remember many matches where they werent playing like a bottom of the table team for periods of the matches.

So have I. I assume last season you watched every single Chelsea match, or every single Barca match, or every single Real match?
    Nope, you watched the highlights mostly, and formed your opinions from them.
    This is the whole problem with the opinions you have, they are based on false memories.

You remember the good parts of last season from Chelsea and not the bad parts. You have forgotten the games they just won 1-0, and probably deserved to lose. You just remember the fact that they won, and probably some nice goals stick in your mind aswell.
    Barca won many a game last season, playing in large parts of the game, as a **** team, but you don't remember that.

European football this season seems to have suffered a major loss of form.

Whats happened this year is the same thing that happens every year.
    Arsenal wouldn't have went unbeaten were it not for the ****ness of the league? Is that statement not true. Its inconcievable that a team can go unbeaten, the league must have been ****? I personally think that's bull****, but by your logic, you must think thats true. It's not like they didn't get lucky breaks to get the unbeaten. Sure, weren't they lucky Ruud's penalty wasn't an inch lower?

The issue here is just that you are thinking like an old man, about the good old days, and comparing the current football with what you remember of the past football, which was the glory moments, and you forget the rest.

Hey, United havn't been playing great lately, but we're hitting our bad patch of form, and we're coming through it.

Then he plays 3 fantastic through balls and took his goal really well while being played out of position for a while. His league record isnt bad in terms of assists (10) and goals (10).

The thing with Rooney is that his performance over the season has been poor.
    When he does play well, he gets braces and a hattrick, which is why his tally is so high, but he goes an incredible amount of games without scoring or getting an assist.
    Rooney scored a peach of a goal yesterday, but for a large portion of the match he was actually quite poor. He is not playing anywhere near as good as he was last year.
    I'm not saying I don't think he's a cracking player, I'm just saying that he hasn't been playing that well this season, and to be honest, Saha has been playing better than him. I don't think this means that Saha is better than him, I just think it means that Saha has been playing better than him and brought more to the team.
    I really do think we lack a fludity without Saha up front, as he leads the line so very well. Our dip in form is in direct corrolation with Saha being injured btw.

PHB wrote:
    I'd imagine he keeps up with whats happening in football, just a guess though, he's only the manager of AC Milan. Sure, i'd imagine he just says stuff like that off the top of his head, what the **** does he know? Jesus christ like, what a waster.

No. United aren't playing well, but we're still winning, that's what counts. And we have played some great football this season.

So you agree for the last two years Chelsea were lucky to win the league, since they have about 500 deflected goals?

So have I. I assume last season you watched every single Chelsea match, or every single Barca match, or every single Real match?
    Nope, you watched the highlights mostly, and formed your opinions from them.
    This is the whole problem with the opinions you have, they are based on false memories.

You remember the good parts of last season from Chelsea and not the bad parts. You have forgotten the games they just won 1-0, and probably deserved to lose. You just remember the fact that they won, and probably some nice goals stick in your mind aswell.
    Barca won many a game last season, playing in large parts of the game, as a **** team, but you don't remember that.

Whats happened this year is the same thing that happens every year.
    Arsenal wouldn't have went unbeaten were it not for the ****ness of the league? Is that statement not true. Its inconcievable that a team can go unbeaten, the league must have been ****? I personally think that's bull****, but by your logic, you must think thats true. It's not like they didn't get lucky breaks to get the unbeaten. Sure, weren't they lucky Ruud's penalty wasn't an inch lower?

The issue here is just that you are thinking like an old man, about the good old days, and comparing the current football with what you remember of the past football, which was the glory moments, and you forget the rest.

Hey, United havn't been playing great lately, but we're hitting our bad patch of form, and we're coming through it.

great reply, good post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This could have turned into a very unsuccessful season.
    PHB wrote:
    But it didn't. That wasn't to do with luck, Ronaldo's goal against Fulham certinaly wasn't to do with luck.

This point people make again and again is stupid. If United played like they did this season last season, do you think Chelsea would have played the same? Not a chance in hell. The point is they didn't! Did you ever ask yourself why?

Football is at the upper levels is about dealing with pressure.
    If United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool played to the top of their game every single week, no other team in the league could beat them, none. But they don't. Why? Because they don't play as well as they can. This is a mental thing about consistancy, and it's greatly affected by pressure.

Chelsea havn't been able to deal with the pressure of being behind United. When they are behind, they have to win every game to hope to catch up to United. They couldn't do this, which is why we're still in front. Sure they hadi injuries, but that's football. Last season we missed Scholes for the whole season, is that the reason we lost?
    Chelsea were behind us before they got their injuries.
    Chelsea lost this season because they messed up at the start, just like United did last year. They didn't hit the ground running, and have been playing catch up all the time.

Do you think you might be jumping the gun a bit here? United could conceivably finish the season with nothing. I'm very worried about the next few games with the current injury/suspension list. Things could be looking bleak in a month's time if there are a couple of slips.

Take a reality check here. The title isn't won in March.

I couldnt be bothered arguing anymore tbh, if you dont care if man utd play awful in nearly every match but still win leagues then fair enough, i do. I must be watching the Utd reserves or something as im not watching the same team as you.

Do you think you might be jumping the gun a bit here? United could conceivably finish the season with nothing. I'm very worried about the next few games with the current injury/suspension list. Things could be looking bleak in a month's time if there are a couple of slips.

If there are a couple of slips, then yes, things will have taken a turn for the worse. But currently I'm enjoying the football now, and don't think it's gona happen as I've no reason to think it will happen.
    We havn't won yet, I know that, read my previous posts talking about that very fact.
    I couldnt be bothered arguing anymore tbh, if you dont care if man utd play awful in nearly every match but still win leagues then fair enough, i do.

I do care, but I don't automatically think we're **** compared to other past teams that won, because we're the exact same as them.
    United have been poor in the last couple of games, it's just I can remember last season well enough to know that Chelsea were the same, and still won.
    If we continue to play like this for the rest of the season, we might just win the league if we're lucky. I don't think that's gona happen though. Every team has a bad patch, this is ours.

What I've noticed about Man U this season is, like the seasons when they won the league in the past, the have this resolve. Even if they go behind I still feel that they're going to get back into the match. That feeling has been absent the last few seasons. PHB is right, playing badly, winning, coming through...who cares if it's not pretty? I'd rather them win these crunch games through sheer determination and doggedness than play well and draw or - like Arsenal have done trying to play "pretty football" the whole time - lose.

This season reminds me of 95-96:
    Schmeichel, like VDS, saving them about 10 points (eg Liverpool, Crouch save, Fulham match)

Cantona nicking the winners in scrappy one goal wins (although this season, importantly, they've had matchwinners all over the pitch: Giggs, Ronaldo, Larsson, O'Shea, Rooney)

In 96 they played six games from March to April, scored eight goals (six of them Cantona's) with five wins (four of them 1-0) and a draw. The last five games this seaon (aside from Middlesbrough) have been wins by a one-goal margin...these games in 96 weren't flowing football matches but the point is they won them and won the league...

I’m glad to see that not all Manu fans who post here are fickle. I’ve been saying it for months that if we win the league this season, then yes great, we played some good stuff up until january. The current squad i think is not good to win the league, simple fact is that both Chelsea and Arsenal have been poor by both there standards and as for Liverpool, they just lact consistency. We were lucky to beat with Fulham with a last minute winner that took a Deflection and the win against Liverpool was also lucky, yes you need luck to win games and championship’s, but I believe that Manu as a team and squad will be found in the next couple of weeks. Saha is rubbish and I can’t understand why we wasted millions on him, he’s not a team player and he runs with his head down and is always injured. I remember when we signed Andy Cole, he was similar in that he wasn’t a team player, but he was probably one of the best to play for Manu in my opinion.

I laugh when Manu fans say we will win the champions league. I use to look forward to watching us play during the week in the champions league, because we probably played some are best football, attacking wise, but this season we have been absolutely rubbish. We were lucky to get through the last group stages and were lucky to best Lillie. If Lillie had come to old Trafford last Wednesday and the score was 0-0, I’d have fancied them to go through and not us. The simple fact again is that we are not good enough to win it and I for one hope don’t as it will be an injustice to the champions league itself that said I expect Roma to beat us quite comfortably.

I’m not fickle like most fans who post here and who do silly research on players fact’s to back up there point and I wont stand there and argue and say YES were brilliant like some. We have a rubbish team and SAF needs to sign BIG players in the summer. When we won the treble in 1999, we had a midfield of Beckham, Keane, Butt, Veron and Scholes. Do you honestly think O’ Shea, Fletcher, Richardson and Carrick would get ahead of any of them? I don’t think so; I think we have gone back wards as a team since SAF is the one to blame. Arsenal has the best young players around in Fabregas, Clichy, Diaby. We should have tried to sign Rosicky, another we missed out on.

Where one the BIGGEST teams in Europe and top players should be begging to join like they do at Real Madrid and Barcelona.

I read today SAF saying he think Queiroz will be the perfect replacement for him once he does retire and we all know he will probably have a BIG say if not the final say in who does replace him. I for one will be very worried if he does succeed SAF. I personally would love to see Mark Hughes first or Roy Keane…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I read today SAF saying he think Queiroz will be the perfect replacement for him once he does retire and we all know he will probably have a BIG say if not the final say in who does replace him. I for one will be very worried if he does succeed SAF. I personally would love to see Mark Hughes first or Roy Keane…..

Ok you want to see Mark Hughes come in because you think we play unattractive football, eh have you ever watched Blackburn?

Ok you want to see Mark Hughes come in because you think we play unattractive football, eh have you ever watched Blackburn?

Yeh i have watched Blackburn and they play decent football. IF you think that Manu have played attractive football this season, then your as fickle as most manu fans i know. Mark Hughes team might not play great football, but its BLACKBURN and they dont have Jack Walker's Millions to spend like before, wake up. Querioz got sacked at Real cause he hasn't a clue everyone knows and he came cralling back to Manu.

I don't mean to be mean, but considering the arrogance you seem to have towards every other United fan who disagrees with you, and the fact you call them fickle,
    I’m not fickle like most fans who post here and who do silly research on players fact’s to back up there point and I wont stand there and argue and say YES were brilliant like some.
    When we won the treble in 1999, we had a midfield of Beckham, Keane, Butt, Veron and Scholes.

Maybe you don't like facts, but surely some couldn't hurt?

This is the whole thing I'm talking about in terms of memory, you remember the good parts, but not what really happened in the season?

You know the first thing that popped into my head when Ronaldo scored against Fulham, Giggs in 99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I’m glad to see that not all Manu fans who post here are fickle. I’ve been saying it for months that if we win the league this season, then yes great, we played some good stuff up until january. The current squad i think is not good to win the league, simple fact is that both Chelsea and Arsenal have been poor by both there standards and as for Liverpool, they just lact consistency. We were lucky to beat with Fulham with a last minute winner that took a Deflection and the win against Liverpool was also lucky, yes you need luck to win games and championship’s, but I believe that Manu as a team and squad will be found in the next couple of weeks. Saha is rubbish and I can’t understand why we wasted millions on him, he’s not a team player and he runs with his head down and is always injured. I remember when we signed Andy Cole, he was similar in that he wasn’t a team player, but he was probably one of the best to play for Manu in my opinion.

I laugh when Manu fans say we will win the champions league. I use to look forward to watching us play during the week in the champions league, because we probably played some are best football, attacking wise, but this season we have been absolutely rubbish. We were lucky to get through the last group stages and were lucky to best Lillie. If Lillie had come to old Trafford last Wednesday and the score was 0-0, I’d have fancied them to go through and not us. The simple fact again is that we are not good enough to win it and I for one hope don’t as it will be an injustice to the champions league itself that said I expect Roma to beat us quite comfortably.

I’m not fickle like most fans who post here and who do silly research on players fact’s to back up there point and I wont stand there and argue and say YES were brilliant like some. We have a rubbish team and SAF needs to sign BIG players in the summer. When we won the treble in 1999, we had a midfield of Beckham, Keane, Butt, Veron and Scholes. Do you honestly think O’ Shea, Fletcher, Richardson and Carrick would get ahead of any of them? I don’t think so; I think we have gone back wards as a team since SAF is the one to blame. Arsenal has the best young players around in Fabregas, Clichy, Diaby. We should have tried to sign Rosicky, another we missed out on.

Where one the BIGGEST teams in Europe and top players should be begging to join like they do at Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Do you know what fickle means? Here's a definition.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    You know the first thing that popped into my head when Ronaldo scored against Fulham, Giggs in 99.

I do remember and i was jumping around the place as i was when O' Shea scored against liverpool in the 91ist minute in front of the kop end. I just think that this current team is a joke and its not good enough to win the champions league ( not that its going to happen ) or the league, but i'll still be delighted if we do it.
    Do you know what fickle means? Hete's a definition.
    Whats hete's mean? thats a new one............i tried searching, found nothing though

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hete's

I know the meaning of the word, thanks ;)

Advertisement