Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Man utd dont play attractive football?? WTF!!! Outside Arsenal they play the most attractive football in England. The AC Milan manager said they are playing the best football in Europe at the moment doesnt mean they are great...Barca,Real, AC Milan,Chelsea,Arsenal,Lyon,Inter and Liverpool are all struggling to hit top form, Liverpool are doing well in Europe but not the leage while Inter are the oppisite,doing well in a sub standard Seria A without real competition in Juve and an inform milan team. Man united badly need a new midfielder in the summer,a wide player with pace and possibly another striker .

Midfielder: Owen Hargreaves
    Wide players:Ricardo Quaresma/Nani
    Striker: Torres/Jan Huntelaar and bring back Rossi from loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yeh i have watched Blackburn and they play decent football. IF you think that Manu have played attractive football this season, then your as fickle as most manu fans i know.

Well if you know what fickle means, what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Veron played for Lazio in 1999! And his time at united he wasnt cut out for the leage(brill in European games when he was let play his normal position) Andy Cole (and Dwight yorke) formed the best striker partnership I have ever seen and it helped us get to the final in 1999. Saha has proved he is very important to united when not injured. He holds up the ball well something we have missed badly since xmas and explains in my opinion are poorish form. I would have loved to have seen Larsson partner Saha since xmas and not rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I look at the Barcelona team and they have class all over midfield and up front. I just believe that Manu should be the same if not better all around.

tha same barca who are only top of their league on goal difference, out of the champions league and out of the domestic cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

event wrote:
    tha same barca who are only top of their league on goal difference, out of the champions league and out of the domestic cup?
    thats them - the ones with the class midfield and attack, but the incredably inept defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You mean the class midfield and attack that couldn't score against Liverpool?

Or do you mean the same defence that has only concedded one more goal than Valencia or Sevilla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Querioz got sacked at Real cause he hasn't a clue everyone knows and he came cralling back to Manu.

As for whatever credibility you had writing what you had to say before, you lost it at that sentence. Capello is one of the most successful coaches and he is going to be sacked. The fact of the matter is Real Madrid is simply a ****ing joke. Not even God himself could control that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Yeah the Real job is a joke to be fair
    Veron
    :D

Also Querioz was the one person at Real Madrid who wanted to keep Makelele, how'd that work out for Real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6fdsMuowE-0&mode=related&search=

First time I've seen this camera angle....best 3 minutes ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

The season could finish up with 3 games agasint Chelsea

Last Premiership Game
    FA Cup
    Champions League

Doubtful but possible

That'd be quality, with the FA going to have at least one of either Chelsea or United, it seems likely United will be playing them in the 2nd last game of the season. If both teams keep winning until then, then United, if they get anything at Chelsea, will win the league at Stanford Bridge :P

p.s. There is no way the last game on the season will be against Chelsea, it will without a doubt be against West Ham. If the Chelsea game is reschedualed, it will be before the final game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

PHB wrote:
    That'd be quality, with the FA going to have at least one of either Chelsea or United, it seems likely United will be playing them in the 2nd last game of the season. If both teams keep winning until then, then United, if they get anything at Chelsea, will win the league at Stanford Bridge :P

p.s. There is no way the last game on the season will be against Chelsea, it will without a doubt be against West Ham. If the Chelsea game is reschedualed, it will be before the final game of the season.

Ye, that's definite. Ferguson has said twice recently that if it has to be rescheduled it will be on the Tuesday before the season ends(don't know how he's so definite it will be Tues and not Wed?...because it will be Chelseas decision.)....they always leave a free mid week before the last weekend in case of fixture pile up.

On a side note why hasn't the rescheduled home game against Sheff Utd been announced yet? It was down for the 2nd leg aginst Roma. On manutd.com they have Roma and Sheff Utd down for Apr 10th. Don't they usually re arrange these games within a couple of days....it's been 5 days already since Utd beat Lille and knew they'd have Champions league that mid week.
    A friend of mine has tickets for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

TonyD79 wrote:
    Man utd dont play attractive football?? WTF!!! Outside Arsenal they play the most attractive football in England.
    I'd go so far as to say they play the MOST attractive football. People say arsenal play pretty football, but they also under-perform. There's nothing attractive about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

sprinkles wrote:
    The season could finish up with 3 games agasint Chelsea

Last Premiership Game
    FA Cup
    Champions League

Doubtful but possible

It would be the Second last Prem Game, as it would be played the Wednesday before the West Ham game...........:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

All this talk of MU being lucky of late and being compared to the "great" teams of the past 15 years reminded me of how poor we were in the '99 CL final. Nobody seems to discredit the team for how poorly they played that night or how fortunate they were to win it in the last few minutes. I do think we have had better squads in the past but at the moment I'm quite happy with the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

davyjose wrote:
    I'd go so far as to say they play the MOST attractive football. People say arsenal play pretty football, but they also under-perform. There's nothing attractive about that.
    I actually have to agree, in part at least. When United are on form, they're the most attractive team to watch in England. The problem is, they've played some horrible, messy games this season too.

Arsenal as of late however, have not been performing at all.

While United and Arsenal play a very different brand of football.
    United are a very direct team in terms of, if the cross is on, they will cross it in, if the shot is on, they will shoot.
    Arsenal are trying to score a very specific type of goal.

Both are extremely attacking, but in very different ways.
    I like to watch United more obviously, but Arsenal are great to watch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

When should Saha be back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

saha and solsjaer due back around the end of march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

What a tough game to day at home against bolton and we also have Blackburn the following week. I think if we come away with 3pts today and get another 3pts against Blacburn next week then i will be quite happy. Where missing are best player this season in "Scholes" and i expect us to struggle today against a decent team in bolton.

I know where 6pts ahead of chelsea, but i think they might be slight favourites at the moment considering we have injuries to are fowards and are missing scholes for today's game and the blackburn.

I know where 6pts ahead of chelsea, but i think they might be slight favourites at the moment considering we have injuries to are fowards and are missing scholes for today's game and the blackburn.

favourites for what?

Actually, "Scholes" (?) is back for Blackburn, because of the FA Cup replay.

If you honastly think Chelsea are favorites, you should make a bet with paddypower, those fools seem to think United are favorites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The mind boggles:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

LOL @ Ronaldo haters

LOL @ Ronaldo haters
    and Rooney doubters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

If Rooneys in top form for the run in to the championship, United wont be caught, couple of tough away games left, everton away wont be easy or the visit to Chelsea
    Blackburn at home will be a hard team to break down but then again i thought that of bolton today..how wrong could i be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That was some game to be at. Sitting beside the Bolton fans and a few of them started leaving after we went 3-0 up. My god they where terrible. Rooney's goal was my goal of the season. The pace from Ronaldo has to be witnessed.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo running is really a sight to be witnessed.

Rooney put in a great performance today, long over-due, and you could see how happy he was about it.
    Carrick I thought was excellent today, really stepped into it when he needed to,
    Smith playing was good to see too, he's still a bit away, and the way it's going currently, I have a sneaky feeling he won't make it at United, but I like him, so I hope he proves me wrong.

It was never a peno, another clean sheet lost :/ But I'm happy, bring on Boro on Monday, and then we've got Scholes back, and it's all gravey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Only negative today was Kuschak, he really doesnt convince me at all, he has made a few really basic errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Maybe the couple of goals against Europe boosted Rooney's confidence. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

ye it done him no harm anyways!

Have to say it was the best football i have seen us play for a month.............

Yeah was laughing myself when i seen pockets of Bolton fans leaving after only 20 mins............and they had the gaul to sing "Your support is f***in S***e"............:p

Was really happy with the all round performance of the team yesterday, really made my trip back through liverpool airport last nite great...........:D

I think United just shade it in terms of the easier run in, although it could come down to the Chelsea game which I think now goes back to the last week of the season because of the FA Cup and CL fixture overloads

Man Utd
    Chelsea

Blackburn (H)
    Watford (A)
    Portsmouth (A)
    Tottenham (H)
    Middlesbrough (H)
    West Ham (A)
    Everton (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Man. City (A)
    Bolton (H)
    West Ham (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Sheff Utd (H)
    Everton (H)
    Chelsea (A)
    Man Utd (H)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i think chelsea away to arsenal cud be the clincher 4 united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think it was a massive bonus for United last night that either themselves or Chelsea made it to the semis of the FA cup,thus postponing their meeting til probably the last match of the season instead of mid April.

United can go on and wrap up the title without having to play Chelsea in the process.There could have benn all kinds of different pressure on United if the game was to be played as scheduled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

yabadabado wrote:
    i think chelsea away to arsenal cud be the clincher 4 united

Certainly looks that way or even Sheff Utd at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Chelsea v Utd: Wed May9th. Kick-off 20.00

I've just booked my flights. Now for the tough part - getting 2 tickets.
    Can anybody be of assistance.......anybody?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Nunu wrote:
    Chelsea v Utd: Wed May9th. Kick-off 20.00

I've just booked my flights. Now for the tough part - getting 2 tickets.
    Can anybody be of assistance.......anybody?:o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=896

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Why are Paddy Power always the bookies referenced on these boards, when they consistently offer the worst odds for the top teams? Is it the cool name? Well, it is pretty alliteration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Sir Alex Ferguson called Sky Sports' Geoff Shreeves a 'f*****g bastard' and told him to "f**k off" after the reporter dared to question Ronaldo over his latest alleged dive.

Sir lost the plot with Shreeves after ManYoo had beaten Boro thanks to the penalty the winking winger won and converted. Upon learning that Shreeves had asked Ronaldo whether there had been any contact before he fell under Jonathan Woodgate's 75th-minute challenge, Ferguson branded it "a poor interview" and claimed he was "disgusted" by the line of questioning.

His tirade at Shreeves continued off-camera, and, according to The Sun, 'Ferguson's foul-mouthed tirade was so loud that a BBC interview with Boro chief Gareth Southgate had to be abandoned'.

Sky are one of the few remaining media outlets in existence which Ferguson has yet to boycott over a perceived sleight, and Shreeves has previously been criticised for his softly-softly approach with the ManYoo boss, most notably after Ronaldo dived to win a penalty at Tottenham last month and he declined to question the Scot over the match-turning incident.

The Sun's transcript in full:

Shreeves: "I asked him..."

Ferguson: "F*****g (inaudible) bastard."

Shreeves: "Don't talk to me like that."

Ferguson: "F**k off to you."

Shreeves: "Don't talk to me like that. Don't even think about it."

Ferguson: "Don't you think about it, you ****. F**k off. Right?"

Shreeves: "Listen, are you going to do the interview in a professional manner or not? Do you want to do it or not?"

Ferguson: "You f*****g be professional. You be professional. You're the one."

Shreeves: "I'm entitled to ask...Cristiano gave the right answer."

Ferguson: "F*****g hell with your answers."

Shreeves: "Don't talk to me like that. Go away. If you want to behave civilly, fine. Don't talk to me like that."

Ferguson: "F**k off." (door slams).

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2006994,00.html

Lol, classy guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

so thats bbc and sky now that wont be doing any more interviews for.....howwill we hear his inaudable words of wisedom anymore........

gucci wrote:
    so thats bbc and sky now that wont be doing any more interviews for.....howwill we hear his inaudable words of wisedom anymore........

From Steve Bower on MUTV.............:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

kinaldo wrote:

I always thought Geoff Shreaves was a bit to friendly with english players and managers. I wonder if Lampard or Gerrard had done the same would he have asked the question? I think not. I have slammed Ronaldo before for diving but and yes onnce or twice he has dived to get a penalty, but i think SAF has had a word and he nows knows that he is been watched.

I called a penalty straight away when he went down and the replays prove it was a peno. So why question it? Why did woodgate go to ground? Why did he throw his right leg out? The replays prove Woodgate made contact by cliping Ronaldo's right knee. Woodgate has even admitted himself that it was a penalty. I expect Geoff Shreave's to make an apology. Ronaldo was been brilliant the last couple of games more so cause we have not played well.

If we beat Blackburn at oldtrafford i fully expect us to win the league. I expect this to be a tough test. But i thought the Bolton game was going to be tough as well.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why would Shreeve's have to apologise for asking a question (And a atme one at that), he's an interviewer. And he's paid Sir Alex plenty of favours over the last few years by not asking about more blatent dives (the spurs one in particular where he questioned Jol on it, but didnt mentioned it to Ferguson).

All Ferguson had to do was say "no, i've seen the replays, he didnt dive", job done, without throwing an abusive childish hissyfit.

By the way is the Sun the only source for this? would have really thought he'd have been a more intelligent man then that, maybe its being blown out of proportion?

afaik the issue wasn't with him asking Fergie, it was him asking Ronaldo.

Fergie plays the media like a fiddle, this incident will be no exception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Why would Shreeve's have to apologise for asking a question (And a atme one at that), he's an interviewer. And he's paid Sir Alex plenty of favours over the last few years by not asking about more blatent dives (the spurs one in particular where he questioned Jol on it, but didnt mentioned it to Ferguson).

All Ferguson had to do was say "no, i've seen the replays, he didnt dive", job done, without throwing an abusive childish hissyfit.

By the way is the Sun the only source for this? would have really thought he'd have been a more intelligent man then that, maybe its being blown out of proportion?
    the issue isn't Shreeves asking Ronaldo about it - we all knew that would happen. However, Shreeves did not need to ask him 4 times. At the time i thought it was a horrible interview, and was simply Shreeves trying his best to trip Ronnie up Drogba style.

Seriously, all he had to ask was "Was it a penalty?"

didn't need to follow it up with the snide comments that followed. You certainly wouldn't see him doing the same to Gerrard after his tumbles, or asking Terry if it was deliberate handball ("So John, why did you have your arms spread wide then?")

Fergie could have handled it better, and he should have too, but in the same situation, i'd have been just as angry with Shreeves and would have wanted to do exactly what ferguson did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I though his line of questioning was a disgrace, as Tauren said, if it had have been Gerrard or another english player he would have just been asked if it was a penalty. His incessant probing in such a smug way was horrible and Fergie was totally justified in what he said. The "Sky team" is a cancer on football commentary and punditry.

i cant believe people are blaming shreeves here

fergie is a disgrace for doing this, i cant imagine you all being like this if it was robben and mourinho

he was out of line and should apologise.

i presume the person saying shreeves should apologise was jokin

• Advertisement
Advertisement