Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

If i ever see Richardson in Manchester god help him.......................

What a muppet he is, absolutely crap player don't know what SAF sees in him:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have to ask as Man Utd are on tv all the time and in the last 2 season they have a lot of tv games, what exactly does Carrick do?

Seriously :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Giggs was no better a replacement today. Gave every ball away. Dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PHB, name the last time Manu played well in the champions league and dominated a game?

Name me the last time Liverpool or Chelsea dominated us? Why are they any different in a different competition?
    We've been **** in the CL for years, personally I'm happy with the CL this year just to win a knockout tie.
    Richardson and Fletcher are worthless, today proved it big time.

Richardson was crap, Fletcher was ok.
    The result against liverpool was luck, we lost to arsenal and were unlucky do so, we played well against chelsea. you need to wake up, i hate that about Manu supporters, its people like you give us a bad name down in the pub, cause you defend your team no matter and are blinded by pass glory the club has had.

Oh, poor you. My problem is your the type of fan who gets caught up in the general trend within United fans. Because we have been **** for about 3 years, you have become engrossed in the idea that United are in fact totally ****, and every player is terrible. You hate Fergie because of what he has done over the last 3 years. Your problem is that you can't move on, you are so stuck within this mindset of what is termed doomlording, that you can't ever see the good things. You actually enjoy the bitching, enjoy the losing, and enjoy it when we lose, because it justifies your position. But in reality, it's just that you got so used to the group experience of bitching, that you can't move on. It must be confusing.

And you think I'm blinkered?
    a joke of squad compared to Liverpool, Chelsea.

Ok, explain to me, why we are 18 points ahead of Liverpool? If their squad is so good, what the **** is going on?
    Michael Carrick was found out today in my opinion, he was useless today, so slugish when he had the ball. he far to slow to past and tackle, he never kept up with the paste, always out of position.

Totally agree, in fact, I said it in the other thread
    I wont be bothered if we lose the league to chelsea cause i never expected Manu win the league this season.

Yet we are, and the reason you aren't bothered, is because you'd rather go back to old times.

---

Heres what I think of the game,

United were poor, no doubt about it. But we could have had 3 or 4 goals in the first half, and on another day, we would have.
    Rooney scored instantly in the second half, and if the stupid linesman had allowed it, we would have won comfortably.

Our injuries are showing, there is no denying it.
    Richardson today should have been Park.
    Brown should have been Vidic.
    VDS today should have been the other VDS, the good one

With those two players, Park and Vidic, I think everybody would agree we would have won.

Let's look at the run in

We play Roma, then Watford.
    Roma will be what happens, we'll see. Watford will be an easy win, especially with no Foster in goal.

Then we have:
    Sheffield United (H)
    Boro (H)

At home, these should be easy games, especially with Saha and Evra back.

Then, we get Park and Vidic back.

That means, in terms of squad depth, the only person we're missing is Neville. It puts Brown back at RB, and makes our team look like this:

VDS

---Brown
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra--
    ---Ronaldo
    Carrick
    Scholes
    Giggs--

Saha
    Rooney

To play against:

Everton (A)
    Man City (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    West Ham (H)

I think we will win those first two games with that team. Then we go to Chelsea, even if we lose, we have to go to West Ham to win, to win the premiership on goal difference.

So even if Chelsea win every single game between now and then, unless they can catch a goal difference of 15 (which nobody will claim they can), the premiership should be ours.

Oh and yeh, btw, CHelsea's run-in isn't that easy.

West Ham (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Bolton (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Man Utd (H)
    Everton (H)

Besides us, Bolton and Arsenal are pretty tough games, and West Ham just beat Arsenal so could be on a high, especially at home.
    They have a tougher run in than us.

Either way, we're still favorites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

yep giggs was awful when he came on. They have no quality subs if you count saha as a starter. They better get rid of richardson etc and have a good players that'll make a difference off the bench like they did during the cole/yorke/sheringham/solskjaer era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I never have understood why Fergie persists in starting with a weaker side instead of finishing with it. I know his options were limited today, but I think any side which features Richardson is either complacency or madness. I can generally find something positive about a United player, but I can't him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

PHB wrote:
    Oh, poor you. My problem is your the type of fan who gets caught up in the general trend within United fans. Because we have been **** for about 3 years, you have become engrossed in the idea that United are in fact totally ****, and every player is terrible. You hate Fergie because of what he has done over the last 3 years. Your problem is that you can't move on, you are so stuck within this mindset of what is termed doomlording, that you can't ever see the good things. You actually enjoy the bitching, enjoy the losing, and enjoy it when we lose, because it justifies your position. But in reality, it's just that you got so used to the group experience of bitching, that you can't move on. It must be confusing

I acutally dont know that many manu fans and the one i do are exactly like yourself always pointing out the good and not the bad. I dont hate ferguson, the man is a god and will go as the greatest manager in england ever once he retires. I do hate the fact the he keeps playing useless players like Richardson week in week out. Fletcher is not good enough for manu, yeh he tries, but he's not good enough end of story. Carrick is useless, i had my doubts when they bought. We may be 18points clear, but how many games have we one this season 1-0, Ronaldo goals have all proved be mostly winners this season. I will say he had a shocker today, but thats aloud cause he has been fantastic this season. Rooney was again shocking and i seem to be the only one who gives him stick here, everyone else sticks for him. I feel sorry for him, he has talent. Giggs was rubbish again today and needs to be replaced this season. Pos note today was Wes Brown, are best player and defender, hopefully he says. Heinze also had a good game.

Manu and SAF needs to get a squad as equal or better then what we had in 1999. There was talk this was as good, apart from Ronaldo Rooney, Vidic, the rest wouldn't get a look in back then.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Livvie wrote:
    I never have understood why Fergie persists in starting with a weaker side instead of finishing with it. I know his options were limited today, but I think any side which features Richardson is either complacency or madness. I can generally find something positive about a United player, but I can't him.
    He has nice hair...

He has nice hair...

:D Not sure I can even give him that.

I'll try and check his teeth out next time I see him. (If I don't smack them first. ;) )

Seriously, I think our biggest worry is the loss of Vidic, who brings so much stability to the back four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

On a brigther note for manutd fans, Pique is playing simply amazing vs barca. Zara winning 1-0 and Pique sitting in front of back four and winning everything as usual.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Yeh, was watching that too, really impressive. He is defo better than Brown, and should be brought back next year to be 3rd choice CB, and probably 2nd choice RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,668 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mg giggs was brutal when he came on

did he ever hear of passing the ball to a team mate not a rival

united could be in trouble now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Kieran Richardson is a disgrace to the United team, he should be f*cked out of Old Trafford asap..not fit to wear the United shirt and will never make his name at Old Trafford.
    Darren Fletcher can go with him and bring Louis Saha with him , we cant go into next season and worry all season when Louis will get injured , we need a consistent goalscorer alongside Rooney

I still reckon we will win the premiership ,the kick up the arse we got tonight will spur us on for the rest of the season
    Fergie will instill the fear of failure into them , if we lose it this season the psychological effect could be felt for years to come

Come on United !! Top priority this season ..Premiership trophy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

andrew1977 wrote:
    Kieran Richardson is a disgrace to the United team, he should be f*cked out of Old Trafford asap..not fit to wear the United shirt and will never make his name at Old Trafford.
    Darren Fletcher can go with him and bring Louis Saha with him , we cant go into next season and worry all season when Louis will get injured , we need a consistent goalscorer alongside Rooney

I still reckon we will win the premiership ,the kick up the arse we got tonight will spur us on for the rest of the season
    Fergie will instill the fear of failure into them , if we lose it this season the psychological effect could be felt for years to come

Come on United !! Top priority this season ..Premiership trophy,

Agree with nearly all of this, wouldnt like to see Fletcher go...sell Richardson, Silvestre and Saha'd injuries are beginning to bug me big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Kieran Richardson, how did he become a football player?

tdv wrote:
    Kieran Richardson, how did he become a football player?

I think he collected the right number of crisp packets. (I think I stole that from Father Ted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,668 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Livvie wrote:
    I think he collected the right number of crisp packets. .
    :D

I had my rant yesterday, still can't understand why SAF doesn't start with his strongest team and then bring the duds on like Richardson and Flecther. I expect us to beat to Shefield Utd at home, but i think Boro could be a tough one eve though were at home. Chelesea have a tough game against West-Ham and Newcastle, so i expect there to be slip up's. I haven't seeing Pique play this season, but i know he is having a good season. I'm not sure if he wants to come back to Manu and sit on the bench after getting first team action in spain plus i dont see him replacing Brown who is a great defender. I thought he was brilliant yesterday, but maybe he will replace O'Shea who could end up at Sunderland come the summer?

Manu In's:
    Anelka / Torres / Klaas Jan Huntelaar
    Mikoun
    Hargreaves
    Nani

Out's
    Richardson
    Fletcher
    O'SHea
    Saha.....to many injuries

I see today Defoe was mentioned again today, a good striker, but not for Manu i think.

I had my rant yesterday, still can't understand why SAF doesn't start with his strongest team and then bring the duds on like Richardson and Flecther. I expect us to beat to Shefield Utd at home, but i think Boro could be a tough one eve though were at home. Chelesea have a tough game against West-Ham and Newcastle, so i expect there to be slip up's. I haven't seeing Pique play this season, but i know he is having a good season. I'm not sure if he wants to come back to Manu and sit on the bench after getting first team action in spain plus i dont see him replacing Brown who is a great defender. I thought he was brilliant yesterday, but maybe he will replace O'Shea who could end up at Sunderland come the summer?

Manu In's:
    Anelka / Torres / Klaas Jan Huntelaar
    Mikoun
    Hargreaves
    Nani

Out's
    Richardson
    Fletcher
    O'SHea
    Saha.....to many injuries

I see Defoe was mentioned again today, a good striker, but not for Manu i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm having a rant this evening, but i had €20 on portsmouth to win, so not all bad.

Says it all.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Defoe would be a far better option than Anelka, cant see fergie signing that spoilt brat who anytime anything does go his way he throws his rattler from the pram and wants out .He has caused trouble no matter what club he has been at.Imagine him causing trouble at United and Fergie clattering the head off him. Anelka goes completely against Fegies train of thought of a stick together no matter what squad
    He is definitely not a United player , no way will United sign him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

andrew1977 wrote:
    Defoe would be a far better option than Anelka, cant see fergie signing that spoilt brat who anytime anything does go his way he throws his rattler from the pram and wants out .He has caused trouble no matter what club he has been at.Imagine him causing trouble at United and Fergie clattering the head off him. Anelka goes completely against Fegies train of thought of a stick together no matter what squad
    He is definitely not a United player , no way will United sign him .

defoe isnt a kick in the arse away from that type of player either

United will not sign either Anelka or Defoe, I would wager any amount of money on that, but the odds would be so ****, it would be a wasted.
    Not gona happen.
    Of all the striker at Spurs that we might even considering signing, Berbatov and Keane are much more likely.

Good news is that Neville should be back for Sheffield Utd, which is great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I reckon SAF would be more interested in signing Berbatov, rather than Defoe. Defoe blows very hot and cold and probably is a bit small, considering Rooney isn't a target man either.

I reckon Berbatov would get us 20-25 goals a season, with good service.

No chance of SAF signing Robbie Keane, he's rubbish.

Maybe, but he is better than Defoe.

Berbatov will be at Spurs who another season I think, then willl move for big money.

The transfers are shaping up to be Hargreaves and a striker based on who United keep getting linked with.

btw, Rossi scored a peach of a goal in the 89th minute to win it for Parma.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq5coZGopfc

IMO Defoe is a better striker than Keane, but he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Getting left of the Engerland World Cup Squad, losing out to Walcott, must have seriously knocked his confidence.

Defoe needs to leave Spurs, Jol isn't his biggest fan. I reckon Defoe would definitely be more likely to get a move to the big 4, rather than Keane.
    PHB wrote:
    Maybe, but he is better than Defoe.

Berbatov will be at Spurs who another season I think, then willl move for big money.

The transfers are shaping up to be Hargreaves and a striker based on who United keep getting linked with.

btw, Rossi scored a peach of a goal in the 89th minute to win it for Parma.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq5coZGopfc

I think Anelka has changed and he said himself that he has made some bad choices in his football career that he regrets. I'd say manu would get him cheap enough. I'd rather him over Defoe or Keane. I think they are both hit and miss.

Another one could be Robinho of Real and Daniel Alves who could play at Right back or Right Midfield. It will be an interesting summer to see who we sign, no doubt we will be linked with everybody, i just hope he makes a couple of good signings and we all agree will improve the team.

my god, i cant believe you are recommending the likes of anelka and robinho to be a new striker for man u

they need a guy who will get 20+ in the league, neither of those will

I dont think SAF would go for Anelka or Robinho. They're the type of players who can be anonymous for the majority of a game and their overall teamwork wouldn't really fit in. You could say the same for Ronaldo in terms of teamwork however...but he's delivered this season so we're happy.

He seems to like Torres alot but I'm not so sure. The spanish haven't really done much in the Premiership, except Alonso really. He could go Dutch.

• Advertisement

event wrote:
    my god, i cant believe you are recommending the likes of anelka and robinho to be a new striker for man u

they need a guy who will get 20+ in the league, neither of those will

I'm just throwing a few names out. I think Anelka would easily get 20+ goals if he was playing for Manu. I do agree Robinho might not reach those targets. I do like Torres myself and i think that SAF might try and buy this summer, but i also think Liverpool will also make a bid. I.m not sure he would get 20+ but would be a fantastic signing if we did get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

IMO Defoe is a better striker than Keane, but he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Getting left of the Engerland World Cup Squad, losing out to Walcott, must have seriously knocked his confidence.

Defoe needs to leave Spurs, Jol isn't his biggest fan. I reckon Defoe would definitely be more likely to get a move to the big 4, rather than Keane.

SAF has gone on record saying he would under no circumstances ever buy Robbie, didnt he.... albeit it was years ago.

Yes I believe that's correct. Keane couldn't get into the starting 11 of any of the Top 4 clubs.
    LOTP wrote:
    SAF has gone on record saying he would under no circumstances ever buy Robbie, didnt he.... albeit it was years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'd expect Fergie to sign ayounger striker, most suggested over the past few posts are in their prime, bar perhaps Defoe...still think it'll be Huntelaar that he'll sign if any of them, just have a feeling, or maybe someone unknown in the Solskjaer mould...depending on funds and on whether much of the kitty is spent on Hargreaves...

which, in all sanity, it shouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

LOTP wrote:

wasn't it for the sums of money involved in Keane's transfers? SAF saying he'd never buy him as he was overpriced for a youngster (a man who then went on to spend 28mil on Rooney :D )

anyways, Ferguson would be nuts to go for him. need someone more clinical and i think someone with a much more physical presence and better for holding up the ball.

• Advertisement

If any of you watch Rivista De La Liga durning the weeks then you would have seeing them talking to Guillem Balague who says that Fernando Torres is a target for Manu and he says he expects to see him sign for around £20million. There are reports already thats its a done deal, but Balague said its not, but it will happen in the summer. One thing about Balague is he is never really wrong when it comes to transfers and the goings on in spain.

I still wont believe it till it happens if does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Ballague is often wrong when it comes to transfers. He definitely has contacts inside clubs and so too does Graham Hunter but they often get their predictions wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bucks73 wrote:
    Ballague is often wrong when it comes to transfers. He definitely has contacts inside clubs and so too does Graham Hunter but they often get their predictions wrong.
    i think he is taking the Sun's approach to speculation; "If we guess enough things, and say them enough times, we'll be right eventually".

See Ruud to Real.... probably to be followed soon by: "The Sun - the first to break the Ronaldo to Real story.....3 years ago!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LOTP wrote:
    Not quite - it was when he was leaving Wolves, and Ferguson said he didn't believe he represented good value at the 7million+ figures that were touted, as he had never played top flight football. He never said he was a bad player, just not worth the money being asked at the time. I think he was wrong, but oh well.

Tauren wrote:
    i think he is taking the Sun's approach to speculation;

I dont buy that rag or believe anything they say. I do believe what Balague and Hunter in spain have to say cause they know what happens inside with transfers. Like i said i wont believe it till i see it happen in the summer.

What a performance tonight. RTE panel of Dunphy, Giles and Brady are lost for words at half-time, not offten you can say that.

Wish we were playing chelsea this saturday.

• Advertisement

Big big difference between Roma and Chelsea.... Never rated Roma highly. They won due to Man utd not putting up a good performance last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've seen Arsenal create (much) more clear cut chances than Utd tonight and still not win. That was a lesson in taking your chances. :)

I was just reading on Manutd website, transfer rumours that Brown again being linked with a move away. I really hope he isn;t sold this summer cause i think he's one of are better defenders. I'd sooner see the likes of Silvestre, O'Shea sold.

so, fletcher should never play again yeah?

Im not going to start slagging of the likes of Fletcher, Carrick, you all know what i think, but like Dunphy said one good performance out of how many games this season? I still dont think there good enough for Manu. They might prove me wrong yet, but i some how doubt that.

They arent good enough, but they are what we have. With the way the premiership is going, the likes of united and Chelsea have two options > raise the players, or pay too much for bit part players.

Chelsea have done the second, united have done the first. I personally think that the likes of o'shea and silvestre and fletcher wont be sold, because they would get relatively little compared to what they would pay out for the three mentioned players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Fletcher and Carrick were outstanding tonight. Granted, they weren't exactly up against it, but their work rate and goals (Carrick) were top class. Excellent performance and a night to remember.

besty wrote:
    Fletcher and Carrick were outstanding tonight. Granted, they weren't exactly up against it, but their work rate and goals (Carrick) were top class. Excellent performance and a night to remember.

meh... not up against it doesn't make any sense really. wasn't Roma the team that looked leaps and bounds ahead of Utd in the midfield area last week? Roma didn't even get a chance to show whether they were good or bad tonight because of the way all of Utd, from Smyth all the way back, hounded Roma and never gave them any space. Carrick, Smyth and Fletcher played the games of their lives. I said tonight would depend on whether Utds. fringe players were up for it, and boy did they show us they were.

Edit: they showed tonight why Ferguson has kept faith in them, where other managers would have discarded them long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

But you have to admit that after maybe 30 mins, United could play effectively at a canter in midfield. I'm not saying that they didn't have to physically maintain a challenge and a presence by running everything down etc, just their distribution and decision making wasn't put under the intense scrutiny that it could have been.

Still, who cares! Unbelievable stuff from them and you could be right in saying that this vindicates Fergie's decision to keep such players in the squad.

besty wrote:
    But you have to admit that after maybe 30 mins, United could play effectively at a canter in midfield. I'm not saying that they didn't have to physically maintain a challenge and a presence by running everything down etc, just their distribution and decision making wasn't put under the intense scrutiny that it could have been.

true that, but they effectively won the game in the first 30 mins with their performances, and i don't think you should think anything less of thier performances because of it. besides, it's not often that a champions league 1/4 final is won in the first 30 mins so conclusively. Chelsea midfield couldn't do the same against Valencia. that was an unbelievable 30mins of football.

Edit: what needs to be worked on now though is making performances like that a habit for those lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement