Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Anyone else think Ferguson should sell Saha?

In my opinion he's a complete waste of space, true he does score some goals when he gets the ball, but when he hasn't got the ball he just sits and waits. He doesn't do jack sh1t for the team if they are chasing the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In my opinion he's a complete waste of space, true he does score some goals when he gets the ball, but when he hasn't got the ball he just sits and waits. He doesn't do jack sh1t for the team if they are chasing the ball.
    we need to buy a striker, not sell the ones we currently have and getting one striker of the required ability will be tough enough, without having to fork out for two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Yes I would agree. I've never been a fan. His first touch its very poor alot of the time, plus he gives the ball away so many times trying to lay off a simple pass.

Sure he's bangs in a few goals when he's fit, but seen him fluff too many sitters when its comes to the crunch. We need someone clinical in front of goal, and who hasn't got a sicknote for 1/2 the season. We'd be lucky to get the money we paid for him, extremely lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No, while he is injured currently, he's a great option to have.

Fletcher put in an incredible performance tonight, it once again shows he is still developing as a player. He is still very young, 22, and I think could still be a great player for United.

Carrick proved he was worth 18.6 million last night :) What an incredible performance. He had to step up with Scholes out, and he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

And fair play to them. But upon thinking about what liam, eamonn and johnny said last night after the match, i will have to agree with them (although it was furious back-peddling on their part). These lads will prove their worth only if they can continue to play well. Lets not forget Portsmouth at the weekend.

i think the pairing of himself and fletcher works better for Carrick, as it gives him more freedom to move about the pitch, as fletcher will get through more defensive work then scholes. (note: I'm not saying we should drop scholes, just pointing out carrick can assert himself more beside Fletch)

And on to Fletcher, i was not surprised by his performance at all - he has done the same everytime he has played this season. At the start of the season when he got a run of games in the middle he was fantastic. He is never going to be a player to turn a match with a piece of skill - but his workrate is second to none; he is great at pressing the oppositioning and closing down space, something himself and carrick did brilliantly last night. I actually think fletcher has got a raw deal this season. In previous seasons he was average at best and was almost a garunteed starter. This season, when he starts to show something, he gets benched for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Always stuck by Fletcher. Was great to see the "nothing" players of Smith, Carrick and Fletcher run their hearts out! However, to prove you're worth 10m plus you must be consistant. Although Carrick has had a decent enough first season IMO, its not enough yet to have proven he's worth the transfer fee. I'm hopeful that in time he will be looked upon as a steal in the market but only time can tell really.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

The whole team played well, i think smith was inspiration worked his socks off and there should be more like him but i also think everyone is getting way ahead of themselves from what ive heard.
    Roma were dire and put up a fight for about 5 minutes, we were playing at home, Roma are where they are because of corruption in the italian league. Take a chill pill lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

james123 wrote:
    The whole team played well, i think smith was inspiration worked his socks off and there should be more like him but i also think everyone is getting way ahead of themselves from what ive hea lagrd.
    Roma were dire and put up a fight for about 5 minutes, we were playing at home, Roma are where they are because of corruption in the italian league. Take a chill pill lads

I agree here, that maybe we are getting a little carried away and me probably most cause i always slag Manu off. We got beat at portsmouth last saturday. I do admit fletcher is not my favourite player, but he does alway give 100% when he plays, still dont think he is good enough though.

I actually fancy Liverpool to beat Chelsea over the 2 legs and i fancy Manu to beat AC Milan. I just hope im wrong cause who ever loses the final if it happens will never ever hear the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

:mad:

Most definitely not.A fit Saha is one of Uniteds most importnat players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

adox wrote:
    :mad:

Most definitely not.A fit Saha is one of Uniteds most importnat players.

agree. besides, United would want to get another two or three good strikers in before they would even consider selling him (they haven't got many out and out strikers in case you haven't noticed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I agree, a complete waste of £12.7million. I never understood why SAF bought him durning the January transfer market. I know some will say a fit Loui Saha is a good player, but i dont agree. I always thought he was greedy and always plays with his head down and he frutrates the life out me. I think SAF may have lost patience and might sell him in the summer depending on who he can get in the summer. I for one wont be sorry to see him go if it happens.

I think that united need that greedy player. Always thought saha and Rooney were a good pair because rooney can make something happen, and saha, when fit, can take advantage of that something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

The stories are starting again.....

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2053956,00.html

Real set to bid £54m for Ronaldo

Spanish giants Real Madrid have reportedly agreed to offer Manchester United £54million for star midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo this summer.

The Portuguese winger has been in dazzling form this season and is currently widely regarded as the best player in the world.

However, his spellbinding performances, both in the Premiership and Champions League, have also made him the hottest property in world football and United face an arduous fight to retain his services beyond the current campaign.

Having stalled on extending his Old Trafford contract, Ronaldo has been repeatedly linked with a move to the Bernabeu and it is understood that the Spanish side have made him their number one target this summer.

According to The Guardian, Real have stepped up their bid to land the player by meeting his agent and agreeing a course of action.

The newspaper claims Franco Baldini, who negotiates all of the club's signings, met Jorge Mendes in London last Wednesday.

During the meeting, Baldini apparenrtly confirmed that Ronaldo is their main summer transfer target and said they would be prepared to meet United's asking price of around 80million euros (£54million).

Any such deal would represent a new world-record transfer fee, usurping the £46million spent by Madrid in 2002 on Zinedine Zidane.

It's fine, the thing about Ronaldo is not about money, it's not about lifestyle, its about trophies. He wants to be remembered as the best player in the world, and he wants the trophy case to prove it.

Right now, staying at Manchester United has a much greater chance of trophies than Real Madrid. The presence of 3 English teams in the CL semis also helps this. England in the place to be, at least for a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

£54million would be incredibly hard to turn down though. Figure that in with Ronaldo's reported demands for £140,000 a week in his new United contract and I think this one could happen.

£54million would be incredibly hard to turn down though. Figure that in with Ronaldo's reported demands for £140,000 a week in his new United contract and I think this one could happen.
    Unfortunately, i think you might be right.

Would prefer to do whatever it takes to keep Ronnie at the moment, he is the reason we are doing so well this season (not all by himself of course, but the biggest reason imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I dunno, if we want to create any level of dominance domestically or on the European front we're not gonna do it by selling our best players. If you said the same to me this time last season I would have said, "yes, sell him, he hasn't fulfilled any of his potential." The fact that he has been our best player this season and imo can only get better (and will get better) is more than a good reason to keep the guy. He's shown he could be the best player in the world, all he needs is consistency in the big games and he's there.

Whatever the price you cannot replace class - so we sell Ronaldo and buy who? Who's as good as him in his position? Who'd want to join a club which sells its best players?

The money Ronaldo would make United in a year would not be equal to 54 million.
    Think of marketing, in terms of shirts, think of titles won, cups won, and TV revenue from latter stages of CL.
    I think if you added it all up, maybe 54 might cover him for one season, maybe two, but in the long run, it's never worth it.

seeing as Ferdinand is on 125k a week i think this is only fair. he has more promise then Ferdinand ever had, the team rely more on Ronaldo having a good performance than Ferdinand and he has a much more marketable face. United would be nuts to sell him because of the wage demands. United are too reliant on him to sell him (although if he plays sh*te in all the big games between now and the end of the season this stance could change).

if there was a readily available alternative, then you'd say hell yes take the money and run. but there isn't (and if there was a readily available alternative Real wouldn't be forking out as much).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Despite what some pundits say Ronaldo on this seasons form is priceless. The only way he will be sold is if he asks to go. A successful United will generate a lot more money than anyone would be willing to pay fo him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PHB wrote:
    It's fine, the thing about Ronaldo is not about money, it's not about lifestyle, its about trophies. He wants to be remembered as the best player in the world, and he wants the trophy case to prove it.

Right now, staying at Manchester United has a much greater chance of trophies than Real Madrid. The presence of 3 English teams in the CL semis also helps this. England in the place to be, at least for a couple of years.
    Iberian kids dream of playing for Real Madrid, I think you wrote that last year ? around the same of the rumours then.

He should stay, at least to pick up a PL trophy (which may not be this year), his style is more suited to the La Liga though, so who knows.

The weather could also be a factor, Manchester is very dreary compared to Madrid. For 54m, thats a good return.

That was him last year, but this year, he seems to be much more focused on his football specifically, and much more grown up. He is no longer just a kid, and while there is no doubt in my mind he will eventually play for Barca or Real, the question is when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Not sure if he can fully make that choice, not until the end of the season, typical Real, unsettling players.

For development, he should stay at ManU, for lazing about and training for a few hours, he should goto Madrid.

zabbo wrote:
    The weather could also be a factor, Manchester is very dreary compared to Madrid. For 54m, thats a good return.

i think if Ronaldo were to let the weather and off the field stuff affect who he's gonna play for then i think he would have left United already, or he would be a lot more vocal about wanting to leave. there's no doubt he wants to play in Spain at some stage, but if United return to the winning ways i think he'll put off going to Spain until the next decade.

edit: United are still the biggest club in the world (AFAIK), so if he stays, and continues to play well, he has the possibility of becoming the most idolized player in the world, which i think is probably what he really wants more than anything else (he does come across as quite vain at times still).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

PHB wrote:
    That was him last year, but this year, he seems to be much more focused on his football specifically, and much more grown up. He is no longer just a kid, and while there is no doubt in my mind he will eventually play for Barca or Real, the question is when?

This year he has the end product. Without himself and Scholes this season United would be nowhere. Some say Scholes is United's player of the year but I think it's Ronaldo.

Another reason I don't want to see him go is my 7 year old son will be heart broken. We went to see United V Villa in the FA cup and waited outside for autographs. My son idolizes Ronaldo. When he came out to get into his car he came straight over to us to sign some programmes including my sons. I've framed this and the photo we took over his bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I had the pleasure of being at the game on tuesday night. United were quality all over the pitch. Roma never go a chance. The pure adrenaline of the game was mad. Carrick and Fletcher were savage in midfield and ran all night.
    Ronaldo definitely has to be seen live to believe how fast he is. He does nothing when the opposing team has the ball but when he gets on the ball its amazing to see how quick he is. Defender are just scared sh*tless of him.

I dont think it was a case of Roma being really, really bad i honestly believe that you could have put any team in front of United on tuesday and they would have came out on top.

Excellent performance, Best in years and obviously for me the best trip to OT so far despite the riots outside beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

To be honest, I hadn't even heard of such rumors.
    Eidur Gudjohnsen has exclusively told skysports.com that he knows nothing of any reported interest from Manchester United.

The Barcelona star has been strongly linked with a possible return to England in recent weeks, with United reportedly looking to lure the former Chelsea man to Old Trafford.

Since his switch from West London in the summer, Gudjohnsen has failed to hold down a regular place with Los Cules and has just five goals to show for his efforts to date.

However, the Icelandic international has played down talk of a possible return to the Premiership, stating he has had no contact with United and that his future remains in Catalunya.

"I have not spoken with anyone direct to United and I only know the news from the papers," Gudjohnsen told skysports.com.

"Barcelona have never spoken to me about this subject because I believe my future at the club has not changed."

Barca boast a deep reserve of attacking talent with world stars such as Ronaldinho, Lionel Messi and Samuel Eto'o restricting Gudjohnsen's opportunities at Camp Nou.

However, the former Chelsea star is still hoping to force his way into coach Frank Rijkaard's plans by working hard for the Liga champions.

"My desire to play more often is normal, but that is very complicated in a club like Barcelona," Gudjohnsen added.

"In this question I need to make the most of every chance with the coach.

"I want to be a total help to coach Rijkaard. With the confidence of the boss it is always possible for a player to be a success."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=460441&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=4161&title=Eidur+in+dark+over+United+reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I agree, a complete waste of £12.7million. I never understood why SAF bought him durning the January transfer market. I know some will say a fit Loui Saha is a good player, but i dont agree. I always thought he was greedy and always plays with his head down and he frutrates the life out me. I think SAF may have lost patience and might sell him in the summer depending on who he can get in the summer. I for one wont be sorry to see him go if it happens.

?

have you not noticed the difference he brings?
    they play with a lot more pace and fluidity thatn they ever did with RVN

god, if you sell him then they will need two strikers in the summer

i would say there is no chance of him leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That Hunter fella was talking about this a few weeks ago on the NewsTalk Foootball show.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo just signed a new five-year contract :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Just looking at it on SSN, woooooooooo-hooooooooooooo!

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Great news!
    Well done SAF and Gilly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

woot! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Fantastic news!!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He's signed on the left, he's signed on the riiiiiight. That boy Ronaldo, just made Real look shíte! ;)

the speculation will kick up again next summer.

I wonder who the big name for Real will be this seaon now though. Has to be either Kaka or Fabregas imo. Kaka being the more likely, with Cesc being a barca boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Great news.

Cesc left Barca though, and Kaka loves Milan, like he actually adores the place, I'd be very suprised to see him leave.

Great news about Ronnie!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Great news about rhe Ronaldo deal. The balance of power (or at least ££) really has swung to the premiership I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Great news

its also at the beeb here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6551679.stm

Him staying will perhaps help attract some talent during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

at last!! I wonder what it was worth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

evad_lhorg wrote:
    at last!! I wonder what it was worth

I can hear the sound of pay scales breaking...

Poor old Rio will be watching the teletext nervously eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

In fairness to Rio this year he's been solid, apart from when he blasted the ball at that women vs blackburn!

em hello? not just the og for portsmouth, but that whole match. Rio has been acceptable because Vidic picked up the slack. If there were any justice, they would swap contracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

He should be called "Dopey Rio". The reason why our defence has been as good as it has this season is because of Vidic, not Dopey Rio. Vidic is our top defender absolutely no question. Losing Dopey for the remainder of the season would've been a less blow that losing the big man Vidic. Apparantly Vidic is an animal in training also, goes through anyone for a shortcut.

sofireland wrote:
    In fairness to Rio this year he's been solid, apart from when he blasted the ball at that women vs blackburn!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

LOTP wrote:
    em hello? not just the og for portsmouth, but that whole match. Rio has been acceptable because Vidic picked up the slack. If there were any justice, they would swap contracts

That og against portsmouth was not him fault. VDS has to be held accountable for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement