Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

when vidic plays without rio, he doesn't look as good. when rio plays without vidic, he doesn't look as good. its the way it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I guess they compliment each other quite well... but I still believe Vidic is a better player.
    Tauren wrote:
    when vidic plays without rio, he doesn't look as good. when rio plays without vidic, he doesn't look as good. its the way it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I guess they compliment each other quite well... but I still believe Vidic is a better player.
    i think Vidic is the better centre back, rio is a better 'libero' or whatever they are called. IMO you need a defender that can bring the ball from the back and bring the midfielders and wingers into the game - there are none better at it then Rio. His positioning is also very good imo, as is his reading of the game. A lot of the time when rio appears at fault, it is because he is trying to cover for the other centre back (Brown or Silvestre) but donesn't make it in time. With Vidic, Rio knows there aren't going to be many mistakes - so he plays with more confidence. I also think Rio is better against quick players then Vidic, but Vidic is better against the brusers. That is not saying Rio doesn't screw up, he should have been a lot stronger to the rebound at portsmouth, but Vidic has screwed up this season too - it happens.

I prefer Vidic as a defender myself, as a love the balls to the wall style, but i am in no doubt that we are a much poorer team defensively when either of them are missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Some of the Manchester United fans reactions are absolutely hilarious. Ferdinand has had a very good season, from what I've seen, he's been as good as Vidic (no one seems to notice when he makes a howler though). Yet Ferdinand makes one mistake (in a match United were set to lose anyway) and he's a villain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

its not just his mistakes tho, is it. its his attitude. always blaming someone else. i never heard that from steve bruce...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Fairness has been top class this season. Seriously, no 2 ways about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

besty wrote:
    Fairness has been top class this season. Seriously, no 2 ways about it.
    There is no fairness here.

seansouth wrote:
    There is no fairness here.
    I realise that internet forums usually aren't the most balanced and understated places regarding opinion, but I just feel that people have a set idea that Rio is a plonker and he can't redeem himself. Whereas, if you were to look back through the 50 or so games that I reckon he's been involved in this season, you'll find that he's been in terrific form.

The development of the partnership with Vidic has undoubtedly helped him as I now feel that Rio can settle into the role he prefers, i.e. sweeping things up, moving the ball upfield etc. This has probably aided his good form.

lets put it into perspective. who would you rather have in a perfect world...terry and vidic, or rio and vidic. or even terry and rio.

my opinion is obvious to anyone who has read my posts, but id be interested in what everyone else picks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ferdinand has been quite good this season but Vidic has been miles ahead of him as a defender this season.

I`d have Vidic in my team everytime before Ferdinand.Sure Ferdinand has beeter distribution etc etc but when it comes to defending there is no contest,and thats what they are paid to do.

• Advertisement

On the Ronaldo front its great news and although its a 5 year deal isnt it really just commiting himself for two more years than he had already with his old contract?

I know I`m being a bit pedantic.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'll just add that I was glad to see Ferdinand blast the ball into the crowd the other week. Fans complain about a lack of interest/passion by the players but this showed that Rio was more pissed than anyone that United were behind!

adox wrote:
    On the Ronaldo front its great news and although its a 5 year deal isnt it really just commiting himself for two more years than he had already with his old contract?

I know I`m being a bit pedantic.:D
    Yes, but I think it's more symbolic than that. It demonstrates that at this moment in time he is very happy at the club and the club is very happy to pay him according to his newfound status as one of the best in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Terry & Vidic.... with Dopey warming the bench.
    LOTP wrote:
    lets put it into perspective. who would you rather have in a perfect world...terry and vidic, or rio and vidic. or even terry and rio.

my opinion is obvious to anyone who has read my posts, but id be interested in what everyone else picks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wouldn't want Terry and Vidic, too similar.
    Two types of CB's.
    Those like Terry Vidic and Carragher, who throw everything they can at the ball etc.
    Those like Rio or Carvalho, who read the game incredibly well, and have the pace to cover.

You need one of each for a top class defense in any attack orientated team.

PHB wrote:
    Two types of CB's.
    Those like Terry Vidic and Carragher, who throw everything they can at the ball etc.
    Those like Rio or Carvalho, who read the game incredibly well, and have the pace to cover.

I think you are being a little unfair to Carvalho.I`d say he has as much in common with Vidic and Terry as he does with Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

PHB wrote:
    Two types of CB's.

have to agree with the having 2 different types of CB. Chelsea arent attack minded though.

I know this might be unpopular but i actually think terry is slightly overrated. he's a little too gunho, he gets sucked to the ball sometimes and leaves a lot of space in behind. Carvalho is a fantastic CB and so too is Nesta. Did you see him the other night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Without opening up a big argument, but the tune of this thread(the old man utd one more so) has changed alot regarding Ronaldo, and I'm delighted it has. I always defended him when the "no end product" "little fairyman" comments came out. Been the most consistant footballer and my dream outcome would be 3 points in it come the Chelsea game where Ronaldo scores 2 and we come away with the win.

Also, I always defended Darren Fletcher, who is a great squad player for us. I'm reasonably happy with Michael Carricks season though I still feel he has underpreformed and will never reach world class level. Giggs and Scholes have learned to change their game slighty as the legs are starting to go. Park has been his usual hard working self and Richardson has to go IMO.

Vidic and Rio have been fantastic. Brown has done a decent job. Evra has raised the bar and found his feet. Gary Neville has done well and kept up his reputation of being the most consistant RB in the premiership.

Rooney has been slightly below par by his own standards. Louis Saha has looked good in patchers, but he's always injured and its frustrating for both the fans and him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

S.M.B. wrote:
    I'll just add that I was glad to see Ferdinand blast the ball into the crowd the other week. Fans complain about a lack of interest/passion by the players but this showed that Rio was more pissed than anyone that United were behind!

sorry what?

it was petulance, not passion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It was passion. How the **** can you say it wasn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

He was frustrated, that he was basically through on goal when man u were one down. I think even the fact he was making a burst into the opposing penalty area shows how passionate he was about getting back level as a stepping stone to win the game. Kicking the ball away was pure frustration tho and i do think he meant to hit the boards (not an excuse tho, he shouldnt have done it but i took it as a positive sign that he and others wanted to win).

PHB wrote:
    Two types of CB's.

i would argue that the job of the holding man is holding the ball up and distributing it, as you would have carvalho and rio doing.

oh and it was both petulance and passion. sure he was passionate about winning the game... but showing that passion by kicking the ball away. no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Great news Ronaldo signing a new contact and Rooney signing another one as well this season. I still can't see Ronaldo staying at Manu for another 5yrs, i wouldn't be suprised if left in the summer of 2008. I hope he says for 5yrs and more. I remember watching Manu v Sporting Libson and he was playing for sporting, he was fantastic and ripped us apart. Where actually seeing that kind of form from him this season. This can also only help manu to attract some more quality young stars when they see the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney signing new contracts.

I think John Terry is a good defender, slightly over-rated but most english players are, which i blame the media for. I agree with PHB and that you need defenders who can defend and play at the same time. I think William Gallas is great defender, hasn't had the best of season, but has been injured as well. I think Ricardo Carvallo is very under rated, one the best in england and probably chelsea's best defender as well.

I saw John Obi Mikel play the other day and he has been getting some praise in the last few weeks by the press and that. I was just wondering what Manu fans think or if they noticed he looked a good player. I've beng impressed myself when i have seeing play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ronaldo's attitude this season, as much as his footballing talent, has to be praised. He's cocky, arrogant and selfish (as seen in all his goal celebrations) but he wouldn't be half the player he was this season without those traits. This mentality should earn him all the awards this year. It's only about 9 months since the Ronaldo-Rooney ordeal in Germany. It looked at that stage that Ronaldo would turn his back on English football, and maybe deservedly so, after the grilling he got from the media. Instead he returns to United, gets abuse thrown at him at every ground he visits, yet has still managed to outplay 99% of the players in the league.

The cocky little b@stard really deserves an awful lot of respect this season!

cheesedude wrote:
    It was passion. How the **** can you say it wasn't?

quite easily

passion is showing you want to win, bursting your arse to play well, never giving your opponents a rest, encouraging on your teammates, driving them on. I didnt see that from rio, i saw a player acting like a spoilt child by kicking the ball away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ya know i hate that phrase. How often do we see adults doing things like that yet we always blame it on childish tendancies. Can't we just call it frustration instead of calling x,y and z a child (in most cases).

It's an emotion, he only reacted like that cos he cares.

cheesedude wrote:
    It's an emotion, he only reacted like that cos he cares.

aye, course he does

I tend not to believe that someone can say

'pay me 120,000 a week, then ill start caring'

if he was worth his salt, he would care first, then earn the 120,000 a week. By your logic, if kicking the ball was 'passion' he sure as hell never showed it before now.

The old financial statement being used again...if you have such a problem with them being paid so much, then why don't u never upgrade your job for financial reasons ever again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

comfortable win looks like Rio will be out for 2or3 weeks the injuries really piling up now.heinze did well when he moved in ch.

I think if Rio's out you will really see how much we need him in our defense.
    Heinze-Brown is going to be the CB pairing for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

LOTP wrote:
    I tend not to believe that someone can say

'pay me 120,000 a week, then ill start caring'

if he was worth his salt, he would care first, then earn the 120,000 a week. By your logic, if kicking the ball was 'passion' he sure as hell never showed it before now.

Have you seen his performances this season (ie before he signed his new contract) he obviously cares and has been rewarded a pay rise in line with that.

Ronaldo will always be criticised for something or other by rival supporters but there not one club in England or elsewhere that would not love to have him play for them.

He is a class act and people just hate him because he is 1) very handsome and 2) a phenenomenal football player and 3) The fact your wife/girlfriends say how handsome he is to you probably pisses you off...well u know what to do, get down da gym.

anyone seen much of Nani from sporting lisbon what iv seen of him he looks the part has it all speed ,good on both feet and an eye for goal.he can play on either flank.I think he will join united in the summer sporting will do business for £13m but he out of contract nxt summer i reckon maybe 8m mite get him. also hes good mates wit ronaldo and they have the same agent

yabadabado wrote:
    anyone seen much of Nani from sporting lisbon what iv seen of him he looks the part has it all speed ,good on both feet and an eye for goal.he can play on either flank.I think he will join united in the summer sporting will do business for £13m but he out of contract nxt summer i reckon maybe 8m mite get him. also hes good mates wit ronaldo and they have the same agent

He's not as handsome as Ronaldo.

I agree :P
    I haven't seen him play so can't really comment on his ability, but he seems to be a pretty good player, would be nice to get another player like Ronnie in the team, especially to keep Giggs at his best, who as we all know, works best when under threat for his place.

cheesedude wrote:
    The old financial statement being used again...if you have such a problem with them being paid so much, then why don't u never upgrade your job for financial reasons ever again?

well it is true that i am on 120K a week....so all this is the exact same and obviously applies to everyone...

I saw the story last night about Manu making a £12,000,000 offer for Michael Owen and again its in the papers and on skysports news as well. I would think it would be a great signing as long as he can prove his fitness, he is aproven goal scorer both in england and europe and did well at madrid. I do think he is quite similar to Ruud, except he has the pace that Ruud did not. I only thing i dont like about him is his all round play i dont think is the very best, not much of a team player, maybe im wrong and maybe by signing for Manu he would improve that part of his game.

Id say the scousers and Gerrard will be doing there nut if he does sign :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Owen would be a great signing!

How long is Rio out for?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Heard about the Owen talk on Skysports news also. Would be a great signing. Add even more pace to what is probably the quickest attack around. And a better finisher than Saha too.

The only reason he went to Newcastle was to get back into englaish footall before the world cup. Now he wants to challenge for trophies and play in the chapions league. He aint gonna do that with the toon.

Owen has lost his pace, and is nowhere near the quality of Ruud in terms of positioning. He'd be a step backwards imo.

hes more injury prone than Saha,why wud we want another sick note on the payroll.Rooney, Smith, Solskjaer, Saha, Rossi and Ronaldo should be more than adequate for next season if we don't get anyone in cause of financial restrictions.

Yeh, Smith seems like he has improved as a footballer in his time off.

Rooney-Saha-Smith-Rossi-Ole is good enough, I think we should focus on getting another winger after we get Hargreaves

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Rooney- huge talent but i still dont think he is a centre forward fits the Zidane mould to me

Saha- Suits united's style but is very injury prone

Smith- proving recently he has what it takes for united but surely only a backup striker

Rossi- big potential but has he even featured for united this season

Ole- he's a legend but he's 34 now

If united as expected sign Hargreaves i think they need to consider how early a giggs replacement is needed, if its not this season sign an out and out striker like Huntelaar/Torres prehaps otherwise Nani or someone along those lines would make sense IMO

I'm just thinking Chelsea play newcastle away next sunday, imagine if Michael owen came on and scored the winner and then clinched a move to Manu in the summer :rolleyes: :)

I think manu signing hargreaves is going to be done soon enough. The next moves hopefully will be a topclass striker. I'd wouldn't mind if we signed Owen, but i think newcastle will put up a big fight to stop that. I also think why not sign another Top striker like Torres or Klaas Huntelaar? I think we should Alan Smith, he has played well in the couple of games and offers something different, he wont score 20 goals a season, but he always gives 100%.

We defo need to replace Giggs and Nani of sporting seems to be some favourites here. I have'nt seeing him play, just word of mouth at the moment.

I was just wondering does anyone know where to get tickets for the FA Cup final? Myself and few lads are thinking of going, i imagine they are going to be quite hard to come by as it is been the first final in wembley.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Owen....do we really need another sick note? Especially for the price they'd have to pay, him being English and all.

Smith had a terrific game yesterday, 2 assists and he set Rooney away to set up Ronaldo's for the 2nd.

• Advertisement

I

We defo need to replace Giggs and Nani of sporting seems to be some favourites here. I have'nt seeing him play, just word of mouth at the moment.

Why must Giggs be replaced now?

Advertisement