Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The Muppet wrote:
    Why must Giggs be replaced now?

personally i feel Giggs is beginning to show his age of late. i wouldn't get rid of him, he can still be fantastic on his day, just i think that those days will become less frequent as next season goes on. So i would certainly begin training in a replacement meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Giggs has certainly lost a yard of pace but IMO this is compensated by his knowledge of the game. He is still very quick He has just had one of his best ever seasons and I don't see any need to replace him now. I would agree that united should be planning for the future regarding replacements for all their players who are nearing the end of their playing days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

United need to keep : Smith, Heinze, O Shea, Evans, Pique and Fletcher.

United should sell : Silvestre, Richardson, Eagles.

United should buy : A finisher/poacher (12m - 20m bracket), a winger (young decent potential) and a grafter in midfield (Hargreaves is overpriced but wha can ya do!).

Obviously this is not gonna happen and Im sure that not even 25% of this will happen. I'd be delighted if it did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Trilla wrote:

United should buy : A finisher/poacher (12m - 20m bracket), a winger (young decent potential) and a grafter in midfield (Hargreaves is overpriced but wha can ya do!).

Obviously this is not gonna happen and Im sure that not even 25% of this will happen. I'd be delighted if it did!

I've long thought that we should hold on to smith. Out of the players you've quoted i can only see realistically Pique and Evans leaving now they've had a taste of 1st team football

Richardson is being put in the shop window in my opinion, hopefully he'll go along with the other two you mention.

This talk of Michael Owen (again) concerns me, he's had too many injuries, though it would be good for winding up the liverpool players/fans :D I'd be happy if we brought in Hargreaves, Huntelaar + maybe Nani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United should sell : Silvestre, Richardson, Eagles, Brown.

I think we should send Evans out on loan again for a year. I think Pique should come back to be third choice CB.

United should buy : We have to be realistic here, we can at most afford one more player after Hargreaves. I think the choice is between either a winger or a striker.
    Personally, I think if you look at the squad
    Wingers: Ronaldo, Giggs, Park, Richardson(sold), Eagles(sold)
    Strikers: Rooney, Saha, Smith, Ole, Rossi

It is clear that we are stronger up front than on the wings. I think we should spend the remaining money on another winger, a young one, with potential, give him a year or two to settle in before we need him full time.

I think all United fans would be happy if we got a CM, a winger and a striker, but it's pretty unrealistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Interesting article by Chris Waddle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6559625.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Trilla wrote:

add saha to the "should sell" category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pique is the DMF you need, according to Guillem he on his to Zaragoza in the summer for 6 million.

Fantastic player either as a CB or DMF.

kdjac

In all fariness, Guillem has been saying that Ronaldo is off to Spain pretty much non stop, and how's that turned out. He also thought Henry was off to Barca last year. So I'm not too sure how much faith I'd put in him, but I hope he stays.

I really do hope that Pique gets his chance. I think he will return next season, and get his chance hopefully, and take it.

I wish people would stop saying silly stuff like selling Saha.
    If we sell Saha, who do we get to replace him? Who is as good as him for what we can afford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

PHB wrote:
    In all fariness, Guillem has been saying that Ronaldo is off to Spain pretty much non stop, and how's that turned out. He also thought Henry was off to Barca last year. So I'm not too sure how much faith I'd put in him, but I hope he stays.

I really do hope that Pique gets his chance. I think he will return next season, and get his chance hopefully, and take it.

I wish people would stop saying silly stuff like selling Saha.
    If we sell Saha, who do we get to replace him? Who is as good as him for what we can afford?

By people you mean 'Fighting Irish'. How often has he said that Saha is useless without contributing anything else?:D

• Advertisement

i find it wierd that no one is mentioning the need for more defenders. it is the area United are struggling most in at the moment. I think another decent quality centre back is needed over another forward at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

United are sorted for defenders, surely.

Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown and Pique (who really is a great player) in the centre, with O'Shea, Silvestre and Heinze all well able to play there. Evra, Heinze, Silvestre and O'Shea can all play left wing, and Gary Neville, Brown and Bardsley (on loan to Villa) can all play on the right. That's potentially ten experienced players for four positions. Even if we do lose one or two to the transfer market over the summer we are still very strong in defense compared to midfield and attack.

Our current problems stem from the fact that two of the ten (Bardsley and Pique) are on loan and almost the entire starting back four (Neville, Ferdinand and Vidic) coupled with O'Shea are injured. And Evra's just come back from injury. The fact that only two from ten, Brown and Heinze (who's been struggling to come to form after a season of injury), have been fully available over the past month is quite extraordinary and not something we need to be worrying about as a problem for next season.

United are sorted for defenders, surely.

Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown and Pique (who really is a great player) in the centre, with O'Shea, Silvestre and Heinze all well able to play there. Evra, Heinze, Silvestre and O'Shea can all play left wing, and Gary Neville, Brown and Bardsley (on loan to Villa) can all play on the right. That's potentially ten experienced players for four positions. Even if we do lose one or two to the transfer market over the summer we are still very strong in defense compared to midfield and attack.

I wouldn't rate Brown or Silvestre at all (certainly not for a team of Utds aspirations anyway). they are too prone to lapses in concentration, and don't inspire confidence (wouldn't be surprised if this is why VDS is looking a little jittery of late too). seeing as they are your primary central defense cover i would say that really is an area that needs improving upon urgently.

i forgot about pique though. think Ferguson will give him a chance next year? would have thought he'd have gotten more chances by now if that were the case

We have an incredible depth in defence, name me another team that could function with their two first choice CB's, their first choice RB, their cover across the back 4, all out :)
    Against Roma, we played without one first choice CB and two first choice full backs. We in reality played with one first choice defender from the top 4, and won 7-1 :)
    While this is not to generalise, we have a pretty solid defensive cover.

Brown as a 3rd choice CB is one of the best 3rd choice CB's in the league.
    Heinze is defo the best 2nd choice LB in the league, if not the 2nd best LB in the league :)

Nice article here about our youth talent coming through
    SIR Alex Ferguson is almost ready to unleash his Class of 2007 on the Premiership.

United's youth set-up has produced another batch of talent set to rival the famous Class of '92.

The graduates of that famous 1992 FA Youth Cup-winning side, which included David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Nicky Butt, went on to become mainstays of United's first team.

It is 12 years now since Fergie controversially broke up the 1994 Dream Team and gave those youngsters a chance.

Initial scepticism was replaced with jubilation as United scooped the 1996 double, winning the Premiership and FA Cup.

Now, the United boss is preparing to do the same again.

The Reds have a number of their top young prospects scattered on loan around Europe, but they will return in time for the start of next season to step up the pressure.

And Fergie is excited at the prospect of creating a Class of 2007. "We are very pleased with the young players we have got. We have worked hard," he said.

Exceptional

"We have good coaches and have done well to develop players in the Academy such as Jonny Evans, Craig Cathcart and Darron Gibson. The three Irish boys are exceptionally good."

Central defender Evans is on loan at Roy Keane's Sunderland, and the 19-year-old is a full Northern Ireland international.

Powerful Derry-born 19-year-old midfielder Gibson is on loan at Royal Antwerp - and was in the Republic of Ireland squad for last night's Euro 2008 qualifier against San Marino - while 18-year-old Belfast boy Cathcart is progressing in the reserves.

Fergie added: "We've also got Lee Martin at Stoke at moment. Danny Simpson is at Sunderland and Phil Bardsley is at Aston Villa. It is a good crop.

"Gerard Pique is in Zaragoza's first team every week now in Spain and he has good potential. Giuseppe Rossi is at Parma and scoring goals.

"These are boys with potential at that age, at 19. They give us a future; there is no doubt about that."

The next step towards that future will see them tested in the big time, to find out whether they can shift the seniors.

"What we do with them next year is a big question mark for us, because when you are 19 you can appease them by putting them on loan for a spell," said Sir Alex.

"But once they have had that loan period, they don't want to be on loan forever. They want to come back and get into the first team.

"The question is: how do we view them in terms of first-team positions next season if we decided to bring them on at the same time? I think we will probably do that.

"That will be a challenge for them then, but also a reminder to everyone else that there are players looking to take their position."

I think it's a testament to how good these players are that Jones and McShane were considered worse than them, and look how they are doing now, both star performers for their clubs.

I think Rossi, Pique, Evans, Gibson, and Bardsley have real futures at the club, and Cathcart, Martin, Simpson, and Hewson are defo gona make it in the game, although maybe not all of them at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I can't believe some are suggesting that we sell Wes Brown, every time he has been called upon he has played fantastic. I know he's not first choice, but one of are better defenders and i hope he stays. I think Heinze is also playing great at the moment, he never shy's from a tackle or challenge. I do think that Maybe O'shea and Silvestre will be sold, defo silvestre.

I can't see Evans or Ssimpson getting called in the first team next season. I have watched them both and have been impressed. I just think its to early for them and if sunderland get promoted and then i dont think it will a bad thing if they stayed on loan for another season to get some premiership experience. I love to see Foster come back next season and challenge Van Dar Saar for the No.1 spot. I think it was a waste buying the pole myself. I dont expect to see Pique back at manu to be honest. They brought him over over from Barca when he was young enough and probably home sick as well. They sent him back to spain where he has probably found life more easyand is probably more settled then ever. I can't see him wanting to return to Manu reserves next season, can you? I dont think he would want to go out on loan to another english club, unless it was Sunderland where he would be well looked after.

I do think Manu should seel Saha, his first season he was injured for half and this season he has missed most of the run in and no doubt he will get injured again. The man injury prone, plus i think manu would be a better team without him. I personally think Owen, Torres, Hunletlaar, Anelka would great singings. I honeslty dont think we needs defenders as we have the best defenders in the premiership. What we need is a Center Midfielder, Left Winger and a Stirker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I do think Manu should seel Saha, his first season he was injured for half and this season he has missed most of the run in and no doubt he will get injured again. The man injury prone, plus i think manu would be a better team without him. I personally think Owen, Torres, Hunletlaar, Anelka would great singings.

Wouldn't Owen be just as injury-prone though? I'm a fan of his ability but he seems to get a lot of niggling injuries.

I can't believe some are suggesting that we sell Wes Brown, every time he has been called upon he has played fantastic. I know he's not first choice, but one of are better defenders and i hope he stays.

hmmm... i may be being harsh on the guy but i definitely wouldn't call some of his recent performances fantastic. he's been bailed out by Ferdinand and or VDS a few times.

fullbacks cover's good alright, still i just don't rate brown and silvestre much myself, i still think that despite the recent good performances by them there is still an air of nervousness surrounding those players when they come on. Silvestre should definitley be gotten rid of imo. maybe the youth guys are good enough to cover though and i'm jumping the gun, as I havn't seen them play myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I have been impressed with Simpson when watching sunderland, i think he would probably be ahead of Bardsley if SAF was to pick one for the first team I think there probably is room for himself, not sure about Evans, i can't see pushing Ferdinand or Vidic and Heinze is also another option for CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

United are fine for goalies. Van der Saar has one more season in him. If Foster has another cracker of a season next season, then he cane take over after that.

I don't see a problem is defence either. Neville, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra are perfectly good. O' Shea, Brown, Silvestre and Heinze are more than adequate as back up.

Midfield is fine too. Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes and Giggs is a decent first choice line up. My only reservations would be about Giggs and Scholes' fitness. I would consider bring in a new young and talented left winger and letting Richardson go. Giggs can do have the season and the kiddie (Nani, Ben Arfa, Freddy Adu :P, ?)can do the other half before they take over for good. I think United badly need a cross/passer/playmaker in the Scholes mode though. Fletcher and Ji are good enough back up.

Strikers. Rooney is fine, Saha would great but he's always injured! I'd sell him and bring in someone else to be honest, no point having a great player on the treatment bed. Smith/Ole are more than good enough to deputise.

So all in all
    In: A quality striker, an up and coming left winger and a playmaker in the Scholes model.
    Out: Richardson, Saha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have been impressed with Simpson when watching sunderland, i think he would probably be ahead of Bardsley if SAF was to pick one for the first team I think there probably is room for himself, not sure about Evans, i can't see pushing Ferdinand or Vidic and Heinze is also another option for CB.
    based on saturday, Heinze isn't a good option at centre back. Would prefer Evans to be given a shot.

• Advertisement

Carrick is showing signs he can become as good as Scholes, albeit in a different way.
    Hargreaves is the type of player we need, Scholes has at least another season in him, we need a player who can replace Keane first, then next year we can replace Scholes :P

For all the people who want to sell Saha,
    How much money do you think we could get for him?
    And in turn, who can we buy for that much money?

United are going to be buying Hargreaves for 20 million, then maybe a winger for at least 12, where is the money for a new striker goan come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

More 'reports' linking us with Gamst Pederson, he allegedly has a buyout clause of 8 mill in his contract. I've said it before but he would be my number one trancfer target this year, already settled in England, playing brilliantly in an decent Blackburn side - if he was English he would walk into their national team - imagine how much we would have to pay for him if that was the case. If we could get him for less than 10 million it would be a steal....add Hargreaves to that for about 17mill and i'd be a happy man.....

PHB wrote:
    Carrick is showing signs he can become as good as Scholes, albeit in a different way.
    Hargreaves is the type of player we need, Scholes has at least another season in him, we need a player who can replace Keane first, then next year we can replace Scholes :P

United are going to be buying Hargreaves for 20 million, then maybe a winger for at least 12, where is the money for a new striker goan come?
    i think Fergie's goal is to have a idfield pairing of Carrick and Hargreaves. Carrick is a wonderful passer of the ball, but won't take over from scholes in the scoring stakes. However, this midfield pairing would be stronger defensively then what we currently have, which will in turn give more freedom to the attacking players, particularly Rooney and Ronaldo - and those two will thrive on that.

As for Saha, i'm just not sure. He is a good squad striker, but i just can't help but feel he is not good enoughto be the main striker. If he becomes a bench warmer, where does that leave Smith and Rossi, two players who are very different to Saha, but that could offer a lot. If we could bring in a proven goal scorer, that would clinically put away the chances Saha misses (too many one-on-ones for my liking) I would be delighted, but i do not know who that player is and i do not know who should make way for him. It certainly wouldn't be Torres, Villa or Eto'o would be great but its just not going to happen, Huntelarr would be a bit of a gamble - so i just don't know.

As for a winger, talk this morning that Pederson has a 8million release clause and United want to trigger it - i'd be all for it, to be honest. He'd provide a very different option to Giggs and Ronaldo on the left, and i think he'd be perfect, if we signed a player like Klose or Huntelarr.

Hargreaves and Pederson would be two great additions if we could get them, beyond them though, I don't know what striker we should be looking at.

That's the thing, Saha is pretty good if you ask me, when he isn't injured, he leads the line very well, and scores lots of goals too.
    I don't know many players who can actually do that,
    i.e. lead the line and score goals.

I think if we keep Saha, him and Rooney can form a partnership, with Rossi and Smith providing pretty great cover, with Ole (who has 7 goals in 11 matches) as a super sub if needed.
    Rossi is going to be a great player if you ask me, so we should focus on bringing in a great winger.

Pederson is good, but not great imo. The miss last night at the end of the match kinda sums up what type of player I think he is, great on his day, average most of the time.
    That said, for 8 million, we wouldn't do much better, but I don't really believe that clause exists.

we'll have to disagree on Saha - i think he is generally too lazy, and misses too many chances. One that sticks out in my mind is the one early agaisnt Celtic - easy chance and he fluffed it. I can't think of any others off hand, but he is never a player I have confidence in to score. Then again, Ruud in his first few seasons was the only player you could be 99% certain would stick away the chance when given, and players like him don't come easy.

Basically - Saha isn't ni the same class as Drogba, Eto'o or Villa, and that is the type of striker we should have at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

PHB wrote:

I don't think he's looking to replace Keane per se just have three midfielders for two central spots, rotating and such. I don't think you could replace Keane tbh, although I think signing Hargreaves - who I think is a good leader, certainly from the AC game, first leg - would provide more voice in midfield.

As for Saha? I think it's a case of everyone getting annoyed because of his injuries, at the start of the season he was incredible, knocking in goals for fun...and don't forget the get-out-of-jail card goal against Benfica?

I think when he has been in the team he's done really well, and I think that Fergie's changing of our attacking threat (in getting rid of Ruud and the one dimensional play) and by allowing Saha to play - taking the pressure off the front man and dividing it amongst four or five players - has been a masterstroke. So I wouldn't get rid of him, signing Torres or Owen I think would just signal a return to what Fergie wanted, this season, to get away from, certainly in terms of attack. And I don't think we coudl even afford to rid of Saha tbh

Yeh, like, Eto and Drogba have shown they can do what Saha does for the team, but these are dream buys, and will require lots of money.

I don't think Owen/Torres/Huntelaar will provide what I expect from our leading striker.
    Maybe Ronaldo wasn't as good last season, maybe he's just better this season, but I think it's in a large part to do with a more fluid style of play, that Ruud, albeit through no fault of his own, restricted.

Yup, and anyway how could we afford another striker? With Rossi returning, with experience and something to prove, and Smith fit and in form, a low-key signing of a striker - if any - is what I'd expect to do, an unknown gem perhaps, like Solskjaer was...

an unknown gem perhaps, like Solskjaer was...

as long as its not another Eric Nevland!

• Advertisement

he was a legend in championship manager - straight into the first team and 30+ a season!

haha, how could I forget!

PHB wrote:
    Pederson is good, but not great imo. The miss last night at the end of the match kinda sums up what type of player I think he is, great on his day, average most of the time.
    Really dont agree with this. Everyone misses chances, by that argument Rooney is an average player and greeat on his day, as is Saha to name but a few.

I think if you surround pederson with Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick etc he could be a legend. Reminds me a lot of Cantona:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I remember when Larson was on his way to Old Trafford there was a debate about who would be relegated to the bench. Saha was scoring loads of goals at that stage and I remember thinking maybe Rooney should be dropped instead. Peronally I think when Saha's in form, and not injured he's a great striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Yeh i think Pedersen would be a good buy. Not a starter for us but a decent enough player and good on free kicks and crosses.

I like what i saw of Makoun from lille. I've a funny feeling about hargreaves though. I think Fergie might start this 5 across the middle cr*p again with him as the anchor. I hope he's learned his lesson from this season.

I'm tipping Alan Smith to become a starter for United in the next year. I dont think we need to spend millions on a striker, We're carving teams apart at the minute. Just hold onto Rooney and Ronaldo and we'll be fine. They're the 2 main players for us. It says a lot about Ronaldo when John Terry is calling him: "the best in the world at the moment". They're our new Charlton and Best. i think we've seen this season that continuity and stability is really important for the team. A stable back four and a midfield who know what they're jobs are makes it a lot easier. So 1 or 2 new players close season would be ebough to keep us goin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

marius wrote:
    Reminds me a lot of Cantona:eek:

yeh right!! good player but he wouldnt be fit to lace the kings boots. He reminds me of blomqvist

• Advertisement

I'm not saying one miss is why I think he isn't good for United, it's because I think it sums him up as a player.
    Very hot cold hot cold, produces moments of magic, but not much else imo.
    6 goals and 7 assists this year.

Park has 5 goals and 2 assist this year in a third of the the playing time.

IMO, I'd prefer Park to him, and I don't think United should buy players who will become 4th choice players, and are likely to stay that way.

Young talent who have great potential should be what is bought there, and Pederson ain't that.

PHB wrote:
    I'm not saying one miss is why I think he isn't good for United, it's because I think it sums him up as a player.
    Very hot cold hot cold, produces moments of magic, but not much else imo.
    6 goals and 7 assists this year.

Park has 5 goals and 2 assist this year in a third of the the playing time.

IMO, I'd prefer Park to him, and I don't think United should buy players who will become 4th choice players, and are likely to stay that way.

Young talent who have great potential should be what is bought there, and Pederson ain't that.

Statistics schmatistics;)
    He has scored 6 and has 7 assists from blackburns total of 38 goals scored - so he has had a direct hand in one of every three goals Blackburn have scored!

Park is a player I really like, but more for his Forlan-esque spirit and his energy around the park. He has nowhere near the talent Pederson has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Haven't seen his name mentioned before but I'd love to see Unitied show some interest in Bremen's Diego as a possible future replacement for Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Owen is probably a better striker than Saha but he's got injury problems too.

marius wrote:
    He has nowhere near the talent Pederson has.

Pederson is an over-rated player IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

PHB wrote:
    That's the thing, Saha is pretty good if you ask me, when he isn't injured, he leads the line very well, and scores lots of goals too.
    I don't know many players who can actually do that,
    i.e. lead the line and score goals.

I think if we keep Saha, him and Rooney can form a partnership, with Rossi and Smith providing pretty great cover, with Ole (who has 7 goals in 11 matches) as a super sub if needed.
    Rossi is going to be a great player if you ask me, so we should focus on bringing in a great winger.

That said, for 8 million, we wouldn't do much better, but I don't really believe that clause exists.

Watch him carefully in the next match, he sits and waits for the ball, he rarely does any other work. Then watch rooney run the lenght of the pitch to help his team mates chase down balls etc

Van Nistelrooy thought hard of staying onside on occasions, its not as simple as that. He is a top striker...

However Saha is a very good player, he'll never be world class and never seems tol stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

GLAZERS OUT! GLAZERS OUT!

Haven't heard much of that recently! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Watch him carefully in the next match, he sits and waits for the ball, he rarely does any other work. Then watch rooney run the length of the pitch to help his team mates chase down balls etc
    Maybe that's what Ferguson tells him to do, or maybe you are a more shrewd observer of the game than Ferguson?

It's the same as the first Roma game, when people were having a go at Ronaldo for not doing any defensive work, when he had obviously been told not to.

FFS, it's not unknown for a manager to give specific instructions to players like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Watch him carefully in the next match, he sits and waits for the ball, he rarely does any other work. Then watch rooney run the lenght of the pitch to help his team mates chase down balls etc

Its his job to be an outlet and lead the line and be ready to run in behind, not get out of position chasing all over the pitch

Man Utd
    29 Kuszczak
    24 Fletcher
    06 Brown
    04 Heinze
    03 Evra
    07 Ronaldo
    16 Carrick
    18 Scholes
    08 Rooney
    11 Giggs
    14 Smith

Team for tonight, maybe Rooney playing on the left again with Giggs floating behind Smith, VDS on the bench - probably needs a rest after some dodgy performances of late...O'Shea fit for the bench along with Solskjaer and Richardson and Cathcart.

Goal by Carrick - woot! In good form, eh?

Evra off injured, ffs...Richardson comes on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Is the evra injury bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Is the evra injury bad?
    Nah I don't reckong it's too serious. Kazim Richards went in over the ball. Probably some heavy bruising (I hope). Anyway, United need another goal or two ASAP here to take off Rooney and Ronnie. No messing about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement