Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

They must have heard me - 2-0, Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Morten Gamst Pederson is more then an average player. I think he plays for a average in Blackburn and i think he would improve Manu as a team if he was playing with the likes of Scholes, Ronaldo and Rooney.

SAF has said to day that he intends to sign 2 players in the summer. I now think those players maybe Hargreaves as we all know and Gareth Bale. He maybe looking to include Rossi and another youngster in the first team squad.

Another 3pts tonight which takes us closer :) I just hope we can keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Jesus Sheffield just went out to kick players tonight it seems. that Morgan fella is a right bollocks and im glad Ronnie got him with the elbow. We cant take many more injuries. Just glad Rio is back now to give us some relief at the back and *shudder* o'shea *shudder even though he hasnt been doin bad at all lately he can turn it off any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

United never had to get out of 2nd gear tonight, even though Sheffield United put up a fight in the second half. After Rooney's goal the players were quite content to pass it around calmly. Hopefully the Evra injury isn't too bad, he was showing signs of discomfort before the Kazim-Richards challenge.

Also, things aren't that glum in the back are they? Rio should be back saturday, and afaik Neville and O' Shea aren't far behind him.

fergie said aftwer the match that rio and oshea are ready for saturday and that he couldd have played oshea tonight but he had been training hard so he gave him a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

I'm sure it takes an awful lot of work to play as sh1t as he does!

well now he has had a decent few good performances now. all the regular players who under perform are doin their part now, like Fletcher,oshea, carrick... now if only Richardson could do somethin(apart from that great goal on sat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm sure it takes an awful lot of work to play as sh1t as he does!
    I really wish people would stop giving this guy stick whenever his name is mentioned (not picking on fortuneg, just his is the latest of many posters). If he has a dodgy performance fair enough, work away (we all know there are plenty of them), but to give him stick cos he's training hard i think is a little childish/pointless and doesn't really add anything to this thread.

Man u played ok tonight without even getting out of second gear (probably because they didnt need to). Had a few good chances to get a 3rd or 4th but on other hand Sheffield Utd shoulda had a stonewall penalty and possibly Heinze sent off(now that would have been a huge blow to loose another defender, especially if evra is injured again). In the end the game ended at a walking pace which suits manu juuuust fine. Will be interesting to see Chelsea's energy levels tomorrow and saturday after the week they've had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

United were always favourites for this one tonight but Sheff Utd gave a few scares and had a stonewall penalty denied. It would also have been interesting to see what would have happened to Heinze if the peno had been given. Could/should have influenced the title run in in more ways than one this match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United were always favourites for this one tonight but Sheff Utd gave a few scares and had a stonewall penalty denied. It would also have been interesting to see what would have happened to Heinze if the peno had been given. Could/should have influenced the title run in in more ways than one this match.
    i agree, though i would say United should also have been given a penalty last night.

The moment Heinze went in for the tackle i called it a penalty, and was very surprised it was not given, thankful too!

I hope Rio can put in a match winning performance on saturday against boro, cause if we defend like we did against Sheffield United, we ship a few goals. Brown and Heinze were incredably crap last night, I could have done better myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In all fairness, United should have gotten a peno in the first half when Rooney was fouled too, which would have made the game easy as pie.

The peno wouldn't have been the bad part, we woulda won the game no matter what, what would have been the problem was the red card for Heinze.

Either way, these things balance out in football, as they did last night.

p.s. Did anybody see Ronaldo's actions to Morgan last night, ****ing hilarious stuff, ya just gotta love him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think it's interesting and great that most our matches over the next few weeks are before Chelsea's. Tonight Chelsea play West Ham after Man U winnig last night. Next Saturday Man U play, Chelsea on Sunday. Saturday after that, both kick-off at the same time. WQeekend after that Man U play on the Saturday, Chelsea vs. Arsenal on the Sunday. So as long as Man U keep applying the pressure by winning before Chelsea play...let's just say it's beneficial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

They actually mentioned that last night after the game. Phil Neville said that Chelsea seemed to be playing all their games first last season and now United seem to have them.

In fact the Portsmouth defeat was an evening kick off after Chelsea had won in the early kick off.

May all be bull but I would definitely rather be playing first (and winning hopefully) and putting the pressure on Chelsea to play catch up.

Definitely, but even when West Ham beat Man U earlier in the season I'm certain Chelsea beat Everton at the death...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

PHB wrote:
    p.s. Did anybody see Ronaldo's actions to Morgan last night, ****ing hilarious stuff, ya just gotta love him
    "Do you want my jersey? Go on, take it...."

A leaf out of Zidane's book!

does anyone have a link?!

It just struck me as such an Eric thing to do, just beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It was great! Great to see Carrick score again, maybe with extra confidence he can push on and look more influencial in games. Has settled alot better since January IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Just watching the opening minutes of the West Ham/Chelsea match, and the Hammers seem to be well up for it.

Expect Chelsea to sneak a winner in the 88th minute....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

1-1....Wright-Philips on 30 mins and Tevez has just hit a cracker 4 mins later. Cech at fault though.

Damn.....1-2 after 31 mins......Wright-Philips again right from the kickoff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

**** sake. I went away for a ****e and came back right as Wright Philips scored his second.
    I dont want you to have too intimate a working knowledge of my bowel, but it was 0-0 when I left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Rossi has scored twice for Parma tonight v Fiorentina. 2-0 with not long left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

S.M.B. wrote:
    GLAZERS OUT! GLAZERS OUT!

Haven't heard much of that recently! :D

Dont hear much of The USA chant from opposing supporters these days either for some reason.

According to Fergie the Glazers dont interfere As long as standards don't slip and we can compete in the transfer market United fans will be happy.

As long as Fergie is happy im happy. I am ashamed to say that there were times where i was starting to doubt the man. How wrong i was to ever have doubts. He's a genious :)

(Link didn't work btw :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

does anyone have a link?!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_BO7xWJcRjw

B-K-DzR wrote:
    As long as Fergie is happy im happy. I am ashamed to say that there were times where i was starting to doubt the man. How wrong i was to ever have doubts. He's a genious :)

(Link didn't work btw :( )

Link

A lot of people including a lot of United fans cast doubt on Fergie over the last few seasons which I have to say amazed me . I always believed that we had the very best manager in charge to see us through a transition period. The improvement in the team this season enforces that belief .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

cheesedude wrote:
    Yeh i broke my sh*t laughing when i saw Ronaldo doin that. Legend!

Ever notice when there is any kind of incident Rooney parks himself beside the referee? You can see the ref telling him to f*ck off. ha ha!

The Muppet wrote:
    Link

A lot of people including a lot of United fans cast doubt on Fergie over the last few seasons which I have to say amazed me . I always believed that we had the very best manager in charge to see us through a transition period. The improvement in the team this season enforces that belief .
    oddly though, the imporvement has come due to the fact we have gone back to the style of play we used to enjoy week in week out - if fergie had never screwed around with the 451/433 crap who knows what might have happened. Just look at the Roma game at home. the first time in a long time we have played a high tempo, ddirect, physical, pressing game in europe since.....99 and we freaking hammer the opposition.

The Muppet wrote:
    Dont hear much of The USA chant from opposing supporters these days either for some reason.

According to Fergie the Glazers dont interfere As long as standards don't slip and we can compete in the transfer market United fans will be happy.
    As long as competing in the transfer market doesn't mean we have to sell players, like it did last summer.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    oddly though, the imporvement has come due to the fact we have gone back to the style of play we used to enjoy week in week out - if fergie had never screwed around with the 451/433 crap who knows what might have happened. Just look at the Roma game at home. the first time in a long time we have played a high tempo, ddirect, physical, pressing game in europe since.....99 and we freaking hammer the opposition.

Ah that's just not Right . Vidic Evra Carrick Scholes back from injury and Ronaldos continued improvement could also explain the improvement.

As you know he played the "451/433 crap" because he felt it suited the players he had available to him Ruud and Keano in particular. The results may have been the same if we had played 442 with that squad .

when he saw it wasn't working out he changed it. That's excellent management IMO. Moving those 2 players in particular must have been a very tough decision.

Either way he was always going to be the man to put it right , The most successful Manager in the history of the game. There was never any justification for United fans calling for his head .

Yeh, and what formation did we play?
    A 4-2-3-1 against Roma.

Fergie has always ****ed with formations, he was just very unlucky with the players he signed not doing anything, Veron, Forland, DD, Kleberson just couldn't cut it in the premiership.

The Muppet wrote:
    Ah that's just not Right . Vidic Evra Carrick Scholes back from injury and Ronaldos continued improvement could also explain the improvement.

As you know he played the "451/433 crap" because he felt it suited the players he had available to him Ruud and Keano in particular. The results may have been the same if we had played 442 with that squad .

when he saw it wasn't working out he changed it. That's excellent management IMO. Moving those 2 players in particular must have been a very tough decision.

Either way he was always going to be the man to put it right , The most successful Manager in the history of the game. There was never any justification for United fans calling for his head .
    1. The players are improving in a formation they are comfortable with, as opposed to one they are being stuck with

2. The players he had available WERE HIS SIGNINGS. The formation did not work, and the players did not perform to their best in it - he got the formation and the balance of the players wrong.

3. We were a succesful side, then he changed the formation to a style that did not suit us, that is NOT good management. Fair play to him for finally admiting he was wrong and going back to basics, but it took too long imo.

To re-iterate, he played a 4-2-3-1 against Roma.

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, and what formation did we play?
    A 4-2-3-1 against Roma.

Fergie has always ****ed with formations, he was just very unlucky with the players he signed not doing anything, Veron, Forland, DD, Kleberson just couldn't cut it in the premiership.
    what style did we play against Roma? Cagey euro style we can't play yet have been trying to for years, or the classic United style? Fergies reluctance to play the united way in europe has been the major reason we have not performed in europe over the years.

Veron wasn't played to his strengths, Kleberson was never given a proper chance, Djemba Djemba was useless and should never have been bought, Forlan was an average player, who did well when given a run in the team.

We actually played a non-United way against Roma(my bad).

We played with two holding midfielders(Carrick and Scholes), two wide men(Ronaldo and Rooney), one attacking midfield (Giggs), and one lone striker (Smith)

It's actually a very european way of playing. The difference is the players are better suited to it.

PHB wrote:
    We actually played a non-United way against United.

We played with two holding midfielders(Carrick and Scholes), two wide men(Ronaldo and Rooney), one attacking midfield (Giggs), and one lone striker (Smith)

It's actually a very european way of playing. The difference is the players are better suited to it.
    yeah - and we played crap against sheffield united apart from the opening few minutes - we easily could have lost that game.

what's your point? We played a 4-4-2 against Sheff Utd.
    Oh ok, I said United, my mistake, we played a 4-2-3-1 against Roma, and won 7-1. we played a 4-4-2 against Sheff Utd, and won 2-0.

• Advertisement

i don't think manu were ever really going to loose that game against sheffield utd. Game was played in 2nd gear for the majority and the players could easily have stepped it up a gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

PHB wrote:
    Oh ok, I said United, my mistake, we played a 4-2-3-1 against Roma, and won 7-1. we played a 4-4-2 against Sheff Utd, and won 2-0.

4-2-3-1, 4-4-2. They're all the one. When siwitching between these to all you have to do is move giggs out left and rooney back up front.

It doesnt matter at all which one you say we played. We put 7 past roma because the front 6 players moved well off the ball and we pressed them all night. It was more attitude and individual skill than tactics.

well, shelton should certainly have had a penalty, heinze should have seen red, and shelton also missed an absolute sitter. Who knows what could have happened if those incidents in the game had turned at that bit worse.

PHB wrote:
    Scholes did not play against Roma - and a fast paced, high tempo, pressing and direct style IS the United way - we DID play a united way against Roma, just in a different formation. And Roma couldn't handle it so the formation was almost irrelevant!

Sorry, not Scholes, Fletcher :)

Ah, so the United way is about the tempo, not the formation, in which case, it doesn't really matter what formation we play, as long as we play it in the right way.
    That's why 4-3-3 is a fine formation, if we played it today, it'd be fine, and if we played a 4-5-1 today, it'd be fine too, as we effectively played a 4-5-1 against Roma.
    The difference is the players are able to play it.

the difference is when fergie sets the team up to play it - when they are told to go balls to the wall, they can play it, cause they are a team that needs to play with speed and passion. When they are told to be careful they screw up, cause they can't play a contained game - look at both games against Arsenal this season, and all euro games apart from Roma and Benfica at home - we were crap in all of them because we were too cautious. Fergie needs to have the confidence in his side to play their own game, regardless of the opposition.

• Advertisement

I would agree we are at our best getting stuck into teams, and we have not done well playing a contained game, but we are able to play the way we do now, which is the way Fergie wanted us to play in the past, it's just that the players weren't up to it.

Tauren wrote:
    Scholes did not play against Roma - and a fast paced, high tempo, pressing and direct style IS the United way - we DID play a united way against Roma, just in a different formation. And Roma couldn't handle it so the formation was almost irrelevant!

Formation has feck all to do with it as PHB as indicated. The squad was simply not good enough, he has started to put that right and another two or three signings will see us right for the next few years.

Agreed Fergie was ultimitly resonsible for the signings but he is also responsible for the ones that have worked which over his career far outnumber the failures. True he made msitakes, selling Japp Stamm and replacing hime with Blanc was a mistake IMO but what Manager has never made a mistke or a bad signing.

If you look at the whole picture overall since his arrival at the club He has been fantastic and IMO he deserved to be given the time to put it right when it appeared to be going wrong. He has proved yet again that he has the attributes to do so. United Fans that called for him to be sacked when we were so obviously in transition should be ashamed of themselves.

Tauren wrote:
    As long as competing in the transfer market doesn't mean we have to sell players, like it did last summer.

I hadn't see this post.

I'm very happy with the players sold and purchased last summer, those sold are hardly setting the world alight in their new clubs. Tough decisions needed to be made and were for the long term good of the team . The teams performances and position in the various competitions this season vindicates lasts suimmers transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Tauren wrote:
    well, shelton should certainly have had a penalty, heinze should have seen red, and shelton also missed an absolute sitter. Who knows what could have happened if those incidents in the game had turned at that bit worse.

if me auntie had balls she'd be me uncle

Furthermore, if Rooney had been given the peno he should have gotten, the game would have been over before it started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We're all gonna support Sunderland next year so dont worry lads!

• Advertisement
Advertisement