Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, and to be honest, despite him showing lots of promise, he never will be. If he hadn't got those injuries it might have been a different story.

Because of that, I want Pique to come in and be 3rd choice.
    I don't think its unrealistic to think, that if Pique comes back in as 3rd choice, maybe not next season, but the season after, he could have progressed further than Rio, and become first choice CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Since when were Magpies good luck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote:
    I kinda hope we buy Tevez, think he's a cracking player.

If we got Tevez and Hargreaves this summer, I'd be pretty happy to be honest. Also, I wouldn't mind if he snapped up Saviola on a free.

is Tevez not too much like ye have already? I mean ye have Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs, Park and to some extent Solskjaer who can all come come out and play deep, interchange and involve in the build up. Tevez for West Ham does pretty much the same thing, roam all over the pitch and try to get the balls rolling. Bringing in Tevez i don't think would do much good, ye need more of a play high up the line, hold things up and get on the end of things player than a another deep roaming attacking player.

And now i see calls for Silvestre and Brown to be sold. didn't i say that earlier on and was slated for it? opinions change so fast in amatuer soccer punditry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

well well

big thanks to the toon on today - they played well and chelsea were their usual boring self - but this time no late goal.

anyway, yesterday i felt like we really had lost the league - for the second home game in a row we were unconvincing (the loss of key players showing for these games). the only positive i felt was that we didn't end up losing the game!

Brown has a massive problem in that he always feels the need to lunge in and get the ball at the fist opportunity - against viduka he just needed to stand him up as he isnt going to get turned by him and done for pace!

JOS ought to be never played in defence again - IMO he shouldnt be playing for UTD but occassionally he has on ok game in CM.

the talk of Heinze being not as good is IMO rubbish - we ought to keep him as long as he wants to be here.

someone earlier said Giggsy is past it which is ridiculous - the 2 games looked at (Pompey and Boro) were both one's which he came off the bench for, which i think is the reason he didn'tplaw well.

Richardson has to go - if we can get a couple of mil for him then brilliant. silvestre also!

if our midfield plays like that versus the Milan midfield were done for - what was evident was the need for a ball winner (even Fletcher playing in the CM would have helped us greatly-i know we needed him at FB).

i just really hope we have defenders back v Milan and can see us starting with 5 in midfield to combat their strength in that area

im pretty sure we'll get Hargreaves and we need a striker and possibly winger as mentioned. Park will be a great squad player for us and since he's been out i feel we've missed him coming in for giggs or whoever is rested.

smiffy is also a great squad player and selling him would be a mistake.

be nice to see how our squad fairs up next season with all the loan players back, Foster, Pique, Evans, Rossi to name 4

3 more league wins and we've won it (please hang on!)

now i see calls for Silvestre

yes and for the last 3 seasons
    Brown

no we should keep him IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

fortuneg wrote:
    Since when were Magpies good luck?

11 of them is for good Luck.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    yes and for the last 3 seasons

i was just having a little dig over this...

PHB wrote:
    We have an incredible depth in defence, name me another team that could function with their two first choice CB's, their first choice RB, their cover across the back 4, all out
    Against Roma, we played without one first choice CB and two first choice full backs. We in reality played with one first choice defender from the top 4, and won 7-1
    While this is not to generalise, we have a pretty solid defensive cover.

Brown as a 3rd choice CB is one of the best 3rd choice CB's in the league.

as opposed to this...
    PHB wrote:
    I just don't have any faith in Brown really.

:D
    p_larkin99 wrote:
    no we should keep him IMO

i definitly wouldn't have him as 3rd choice centre back. he allows himself to be dragged out of position, goes for things he shouldn't and just loses concentration at times. tbh Ferdinand can be the same at times, but he has a better ability to cover up for his errors. if Pique is up to the job of being 3rd choice then all well and good, but i havn't seen much of him myself. the greatest advantage to having brown though is that he can slot into RB pretty easy if needs be, but then again JOS can do the same as well as more positions, and to me they are pretty much as consistent (or as inconsistent) as each other, so i'd be inclined to let Brown go as well as Silvestre and get another in, maybe more of an experienced player as cover a long with the young 'uns like Pique.

i definitly wouldn't have him as 3rd choice centre back.

ah you were having a go....

i dont think he should be kept necessarily as a CB, he's a decent RB (not much more) and can act as cover in that position but i do feel that he should be kept as he can play either RB or CB (whether up to UTD standard is still up for debate).

if we're confident that Pique can act as CB cover (as well as Heinze) then i can understand some people saying let him go but personally i'd want Brown to stay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is there anywhere with a list of Utd injuries with expected return dates?

It's mad to think it was an almost fully fit squad just a while ago, more mad that it's defensive problems rather than attacking as was expected when Larsson left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think Brown is a handy player to have and is a better defender than O'Shea...

• Advertisement

Brown as a 3rd choice CB is one of the best 3rd choice CB's in the league.
    I just don't have any faith in Brown really.

Neither statements are mututally exclusive.

As I said before:

He has reached his peak, isn't going to cut out the errors in his game it would seem.

I'd rather have a young player who will get better playing than a seasoned pro who has reached his peak, even if Brown is marginally better than Pique (although on this seasons form, I'm not so sure)

Rossi scores again tonight, helping to drag Parma out of the relegation battle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

What dose everyone make of Benzema? He's been injured abit this season but he's really impressed me when he is playing. I reckon he'd fit in well to the United set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

astrofool wrote:
    Is there anywhere with a list of Utd injuries with expected return dates?

It's mad to think it was an almost fully fit squad just a while ago, more mad that it's defensive problems rather than attacking as was expected when Larsson left.

Physio Room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

That table says Vidic could be back for the weekend :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That table says Vidic could be back for the weekend :confused:
    Fergie said he starts back full training today, so fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

He's defo out for at least another week. Ferguson said post match that he was to go in for a scan next Monday(30th April) to see if he gets the all clear. So, he won't be back before then.

Vidic won't be back for Everton, but might, just might be back for the second leg, although unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have recently moved to dublin living in city centre can anyone recommend a good pub to watch united games in or a good united pub(supporters club)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

PHB wrote:
    Vidic won't be back for Everton, but might, just might be back for the second leg, although unlikely.

That would be very good news if he was back, because with Evra suspended, the back 4 is now down to O'Shea, Brown and Heinze.....I think Heinze is class but the other 2 will struggle in the San Siro!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

as good as job Fletch did at RB I wouldnt like to see him out there in the San Siro. Will any of the 3 (Neville,Rio & Vidic) be definitely back?

Trilla wrote:
    as good as job Fletch did at RB I wouldnt like to see him out there in the San Siro. Will any of the 3 (Neville,Rio & Vidic) be definitely back?
    not definately no.

However, Vidic is back in full training with the team, and hasn't had any reaction to physical challanges, so its looking very good for him.

As for Rio and Neville, its anyones guess really. Both injuries could flare up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Steve_o wrote:
    That would be very good news if he was back, because with Evra suspended, the back 4 is now down to O'Shea, Brown and Heinze.....I think Heinze is class but the other 2 will struggle in the San Siro!!
    Can people not see how poor Heinze has played at CB? Heinze's passion and determination make him a very likable player but he was very poor against Milan. Brown had a much better game than him. His determination to win the ball can also sometimes be a flaw when he gives away needless free-kicks on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Depends on where you are in the city centre. Nearly everywhere shows them but personally I go to Dicey's Garden as you're always guaranteed a seat in front of the big screen and the food is quite nice. Bar staff are poor though!

I though the same about Heinze, he's been dodgy at times and Evra covered him well on a few occassions.

S.M.B. wrote:
    Can people not see how poor Heinze has played at CB? Heinze's passion and determination make him a very likable player but he was very poor against Milan. Brown had a much better game than him. His determination to win the ball can also sometimes be a flaw when he gives away needless free-kicks on numerous occasions.
    i agree - his swashbuckling style is great at left back, cause there are players to mop up after him if he screws up, and screwing up on the wing isn't as dangerous. In the centre its all about him (unless Rio is there, cause he is great at sweeping) and his screw ups cause far more problems. Himself and Brown are too gung ho - attacking the ball at every oppertunity; you can't have two players like that in the defnce, especially when they are bleedin headless chickens most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Graham Hunter said on Newstalk's breakfast show yesterday that Ferguson said he's building a team to model the Italy world cup winning team. Carrick in Pirlo's role, Hargreaves in the Gattuso role and Scholes/Other in the Perrotta role. I suppose United use wingers more though.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Graham Hunter said on Newstalk's breakfast show yesterday that Ferguson said he's building a team to model the Italy world cup winning team. Carrick in Pirlo's role, Hargreaves in the Gattuso role and Scholes/Other in the Perrotta role. I suppose United use wingers more though.

could be i guess, but i always though Hargreaves is to be the long overdue replacement for Keane, whereas Carrick is to be the long term replacement for Scholes. Besides, why would he model United on a team as defensive as Italy?

I can see United sticking to a similar formation to the one they used mid-week until Hargreaves and Carrick fully settle in. The only problem I can see with the formation is where to play Rooney?

VDS/Foster
    Neville
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Hargreaves ---- Carrick
    Rooney
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    ?

? = Torres, Jan Huntelaar, Saha

Alternatively, play Rooney up front like Wednesday and bring in a new winger.

could be i guess, but i always though Hargreaves is to be the long overdue replacement for Keane, whereas Carrick is to be the long term replacement for Scholes. Besides, why would he model United on a team as defensive as Italy?
    the formation, and possible line up is good in theory though.

VDS/Foster

Neville, Rio, Vidic, Evra.
    Hargreaves,
    Carrick
    Scholes.
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Eto'o (:D )

I know it looks like rooney is out wide, but you'd be giving him and ronaldo free roles to roam whever they want. Width provided by the full backs, with the defence protected by both carrick and hargreaves where required.

In theory its damn good - but we have have tried the formation on many occasions, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

• Advertisement

alternatively, you could play Rooney in the free AMC role scholes has - he has all the ability for it. he would be central, with the freedom to run at defenders, like he wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Italy were far from defensive under Lippi. They were just tactically superior to every team in the world. :)

Tauren wrote:
    alternatively, you could play Rooney in the free AMC role scholes has - he has all the ability for it. he would be central, with the freedom to run at defenders, like he wants to.
    That's where I'd like to see him in a few years as it seems like the ideal role for him.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Italy were far from defensive under Lippi. They were just tactically superior to every team in the world. :)
    Fergie and Lippi are great friends. Lippi is apparently taking english lessons. Lot of rumours Lippi is going to be the next United boss.

Maybe we are shaping the team, with him in mind. Maybe

I have recently moved to dublin living in city centre can anyone recommend a good pub to watch united games in or a good united pub(supporters club)

Sinnotts.
    It is under St. Stephens Green shopping center, just near the corner at the top of Grafton street.
    It's got the best atmosphere in Dublin for any sort of big game, and a pretty good atmosphere.
    It's a pub for fans really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

S.M.B. wrote:
    I can see United sticking to a similar formation to the one they used mid-week until Hargreaves and Carrick fully settle in. The only problem I can see with the formation is where to play Rooney?

VDS/Foster
    Neville
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Hargreaves ---- Carrick
    Rooney
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    ?

? = Torres, Jan Huntelaar, Saha

Alternatively, play Rooney up front like Wednesday and bring in a new winger.
    I have to say i agree with the above formation for next season. I'm looking forward to seeing how Hargreaves plays in the middle, i expect him to make a BIG improvment. I know he hasn't had the best of seasons at Bayern this season, but he was injured and i think all the talk of moving to Manu has un-settled him. ( provided he signs of course ) :-)

I would love to see TORRES OR HUNTELAAR at Manu next season and maybe Makioun of Lille and another left or right sided midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I can't wait for Hargreaves to join Utd, i think he is the perfect player for the middle of the park.

And I would give anything to see Samuel Eto'o play in a Utd jersey, his style would suit Manchester United or Arsenal the best...

Hargreaves - yeah he's a good player but worth 20 million sterling? I know we paid 15m for Carrick and could end up paying another 3.5m more for him, but to do it again on the third and fourth choiced CM for England? That doesnt mean they're bad but I think its alot of money.
    PHB wrote:
    Sinnotts.
    It is under St. Stephens Green shopping center, just near the corner at the top of Grafton street.
    It's got the best atmosphere in Dublin for any sort of big game, and a pretty good atmosphere.
    It's a pub for fans really.

It was mobbed for the pool game. I went in around ten to seven and there was loadsa people there! Major Toms is a decent alternative if its too packed which is where I ended up.

Trilla wrote:
    Hargreaves - yeah he's a good player but worth 20 million sterling? I know we paid 15m for Carrick and could end up paying another 3.5m more for him, but to do it again on the third and fourth choiced CM for England? That doesnt mean they're bad but I think its alot of money.
    I've been thinking about this for a while. Personally, i really do think United need a tought tackling, ball winning midfielder with an eye for a pass, hargreaves fits the bill imo. He is the type of player we need, so its just a money issue to me - is he worth what Munich want?

I don't know, but I would say there isn't another player i can think of, that we could get, that would fit the bill. No one in england is good enough, at a lower price. The only other player i would be confident of fitting in to United, and the english game, is Gattusso, but after all these years i think that signing simply won't happen, especially as he has just signed a new contract. Players such as Makoun are mentioned, but we have no idea how he would adapt to the english game and style, he could be another Djemba Djemba - and we can't afford another one of them. Zakora was highly rated in france, way above Makoun, and only a bit behind Diarra - and he has hardly set the prem alight.

We need a player like Hargreaves, and Hargreaves is the only one i can see that is possibly available and wouldn't have a problem settling in (given that he has played with Carrick, Scholes, Rooney, Neville, Ferdinand and Foster for England, and his family is from Bolton) He is the best and most realistic option, imo.

As for being 3rd/4th choice for England, he is first choice - the only question is whether Lampard or Gerrard play beside him in midfield; Hargreaves will play in the important matches against the big teams.

He's young, gona fit the English game, still got lots of potential, and can be re-sold if needs be.
    18 million or so would be a pretty normal price for United to pay.
    I think if Bayern don't get into the CL, they might be willing to sell him for a bit less.
    Either way, Hargreaves has experience at the top level in a high quality league. He should be able to fit in, and then allow us to rest Scholesy in matches like Bolton or something, when we need a physical presence in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think that's the key to success next year. We need to be able to rest some of the big players in the more physical games, maybe coming on fromt he bench ala giggs this year. We don't have enough cover to lose scholes or Carrick at the minute.

I'm looking forward to the striker hunt though. That should be interesting.

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the striker hunt though. That should be interesting.

for a minute there I thought you were linking us with Stephen Hunt :D

I want a top quality striker to come in, I don't want somebody with potential.
    I'd be terribly disappointed if say Huntelaar came in, who I think is probably no better than Rossi.

If we do buy a striker, and I don't think we will, but if we do, I want it to be somebody like Berbatov or Eto, the latter probably being more likely.

If we got
    Berbatov/Eto - Rooney - Smith - Rossi
    and sold Saha, I think we'd be on our way again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Think this weekend's game could be apotnetial banana skin. Early kick-off, tired from a gruelling past few weeks, away from home, and Everton needing the point while possibly being inspired by the death of Alan Ball. Could be an ugly match, it's crucial that Utd keep up the good form though

we need an early goal, and then to actually keep the pressure on them. The defence is not good enough to soak up the pressure.

Apparently Andy Johnson could be out of the match, which is a plus - cause he is exactly the type of striker we don't want to be coming up against at the moment, quick, direct and tireless.

I would like to see the following line up (assuming none of Neville/Rio/Vidic are fit to play):

....................van der Saar

O'Shea........Brown.........Heinze....Evra

Fletcher....Scholes...Carrick...Ronaldo

................Rooney...Smith

The workrate of Rooney, Smith and Fletcher would be important in countering the effort the Everton 5 man midfield will put in.

I can't see Bolton getting anything from Chelsea, as they are simply shocking at the moment, so we need the 3 points.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I know Kevin Doyle has just signed a new contract for Reading, but does anyone else think that he would be a perfect replacement for Solskjaer? They have all of the same attributes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah although you never know, Chelsea have looked a bit jaded...and all these games - like United - can't be helping fitness levels and mental concentration etc. That said a game against the big sides always provides a chance for a team to turn their form around, it's happened before (West Ham vs. United at Upton earlier on, although their from hardly changed for the better!)....both United and Chelsea pl;ayers will be well brusied after this weekend's matches anyway

Doyle is a couple of years away from United standerd so far, and his goal scoring ability is nowhere near Ole's, yet.

First thing's first, I'd like Saha back. After that, I'd think we could see a 4-2-3-1 again.

....................van der Saar......................

O'Shea........Brown.........Heinze....Evra

..................Fletcher........Carrick...........

Ronaldo...............Scholes............Rooney

..........................Smith.........................

I really would like Saha to return to the game, I'd much rather see a 4-2-3-1 with him heading it.

Is Saha back for the Everton game?

don't think so, he hasn't decided he could be arsed tp put himself through the game. Hope he buggers off in the summer, Fed up with him and his freaking injuries.

What does everyone make of this?

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=463481&CPID=8&clid=8&lid=2&title=Mourinho+in+Ronaldo+'liar'+row
    Jose Mourinho claims Cristiano Ronaldo is 'lying', if the winger feels Manchester United have not received the benefit of the doubt with recent penalty decisions.

Chelsea boss Mourinho had intimated at a conspiracy over the weekend when his side were not awarded a spot-kick at Newcastle United, while the Premiership leaders were fortunate not to concede a penalty against Middlesbrough 24 hours earlier.

The situation prompted Portuguese television to question Ronaldo and Mourinho, along with United assistant manager Carlos Queiroz, about recent incidents.

Ronaldo appeared reluctant to become involved in Mourinho's 'mind games', preferring to concentrate on United's UEFA Champions League second leg with Milan next week.

"I really don't want to be dragged into Mourinho's complaints over referees - everybody knows how he is," said Ronaldo.

"He always has to say something because he can't admit his failures.

"We have to think about the game in Milan. We have a good squad and I think we are on course."

Mourinho's response to Ronaldo's comments was to question whether the attacker was a worthy contender to be the game's best player.

"If he says it's a lie Manchester United have conceded some penalties this season which have not been awarded against them he's lying," Mourinho told RTP TV.

"Ronaldo is a great player, perhaps the best in the world. But he needs to be mature enough to accept you cannot argue against facts.

"And if you lie then you may never reach the level which he aspires to as a footballer."

United number two Queiroz appeared to brush off Mourinho's recent remarks about refereeing decisions, claiming it is merely the Chelsea chief's style.

Queiroz said: "Mourinho has his own style, he always tries to divert everyone's attention to the points which are convenient for him.

"These are his tactics and that's the way he is."

He just can't help himself, can he.

Just watching SSN, apparently Fergie just gave his morning press conference where he was less than mellow about Maureen's comments, hopefully they'll show footage later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement