Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Am I missing something here? Is giggs injured for this match or is everyone just resting him for the milan match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Am I missing something here? Is giggs injured for this match or is everyone just resting him for the milan match?
    my line up has him dropped for two reasons.

1. his form is crap at the moment (one good pass against Milan does not make his performance good, just as Ronnie's goal didn't mean he had a great game)

2. Fletcher's work rate would be a usefull addition to the side against an everton side that will have 5 in the middle and work their socks off.

What does everyone make of this?

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=463481&CPID=8&clid=8&lid=2&title=Mourinho+in+Ronaldo+'liar'+row

He just can't help himself, can he.

Just watching SSN, apparently Fergie just gave his morning press conference where he was less than mellow about Maureen's comments, hopefully they'll show footage later.
    I used to like Jose, now i just think he is a lying hypocritical ****.

He says United have not conceeded any penalties? INCORRECT. Chelsea are the side that have conceeded NO penalties at home this season, so he can simple go jump. The amount of times Terry has acted as a second goal keeper and not got punished for it is far higher then anything United, as a team, have done, people in glass houses Jose, you smarmy ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Eh, Giggs has been playing amazing, but he is old, and I want to rest him for the Milan match. Giggs has finally realised he doesn't have the physical attributes to get the amount of goals he used so, so now he is just getting assist after assist after assist :)

Fletcher because he needs to regain match fitness, and needs to keep up his form, especially if he has to play as RB against Milan.

As for the Ronnie thing, I think he summed it up the best when he said:
    "He always has to say something because he can't admit his failures.

Mourinho is still an amateur at mind games compared to Fergie. Mourinho is desperately saying anything he can to keep attention off the Chelsea team, but it's not working as well as he had hoped.

Yeah I'm happy to rest giggs and fletcher has been great in the last few games. Haven't felt this confident about the team since 2000 after we won the treble. If we can get rio,neville and vidic back for the milan game then I am sure we'll go through, although thats unlikely; but I'm still confident that we have enough in attack to get the goals we need.

PHB wrote:
    Eh, Giggs has been playing amazing, but he is old, and I want to rest him for the Milan match. Giggs has finally realised he doesn't have the physical attributes to get the amount of goals he used so, so now he is just getting assist after assist after assist :)
    if by great you mean holding on to the ball for too long, getting caught in possesion, picking the wrong pass, flicking the ball 'round the corner' to no one....then yeah, for the most part he has been great.

He is getting a few assists, and he has played some fantastic passes recently (such as the wonderful chipped pass to rooney against Sheffield United) but i think too many peaople are remember how freakin awesome he was at the start of the season, and transposing that form over the current.

There is the odd moment of brilliance, which i have been thankful for, but his form over the 90 minutes is rarely much to write home about, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Tauren wrote:
    if by great you mean holding on to the ball for too long, getting caught in possesion, picking the wrong pass, flicking the ball 'round the corner' to no one....then yeah, for the most part he has been great.

He is getting a few assists, and he has played some fantastic passes recently (such as the wonderful chipped pass to rooney against Sheffield United) but i think too many peaople are remember how freakin awesome he was at the start of the season, and transposing that form over the current.

There is the odd moment of brilliance, which i have been thankful for, but his form over the 90 minutes is rarely much to write home about, imo.

I think giggs has been quality this year. Everyone especially the older players look tired now. He's been really good playin through the middle and his link play has been excellent. I think fergie knows he cant play every game but for me he's defo been worth his place when fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tauren wrote:
    ...but i think too many peaople are remember how freakin awesome he was at the start of the season, and transposing that form over the current.

eh..........no. He's been fantastic for majority of season IMO

Trilla wrote:
    eh..........no. He's been fantastic for majority of season IMO
    yeah, but you are wrong, so your opinion hardly counts does it?

(kidding! I do disagree though.)

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    yeah, but you are wrong, so your opinion hardly counts does it?

(kidding! I do disagree though.)

ha ha good response! Just always feel theres something missing on the team sheet when he's name isnt there. His movement alone is a problem for the opposition, and when being asked to play through the middle he's been fantastic. His corners and freekicks havent been the best I gotta say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fergie's press conference was just on SSN, quite heated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah crap Park has to get knee sugery. that sucks.

Saha will be on the bench for the everton game but i doubt he'll play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hmmm, Fergie won't spend long getting rid of him if he's been to France without permission...although the persistent injuries thing isn't really his fault, I mean, Giggs, Solskjaer, have all had their persistent injury problems and they aren't sold...further, who'd want to take Saha with such problems? (without taking a massive gamble)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

PHB wrote:
    Eh, Giggs has been playing amazing, but he is old, and I want to rest him for the Milan match. Giggs has finally realised he doesn't have the physical attributes to get the amount of goals he used so, so now he is just getting assist after assist after assist

PHB i do think you have some valid points, but to say GIGGS has had an amazing season is jumping the gun, he probably had a handful of great games, but no more in my view.

I was just watched Sunderland, interesting to see how they and Keane does next season in the premiership providing they go up. I think Birmingham will strugle in the play offs. :rolleyes:

A quick question? Who would you like to see replace fergie when he does finally decide he has had enough.

My choice at the moment is Mark Hughes. I dont want them to give to Quieroz, please god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Another quick note. I hope the Manu fans travelling to everton 2moro pay there respects to Alan Ball.

PHB i do think you have some valid points, but to say GIGGS has had an amazing season is jumping the gun, he probably had a handful of great games, but no more in my view.

I was just watched Sunderland, interesting to see how they and Keane does next season in the premiership providing they go up. I think Birmingham will strugle in the play offs. :rolleyes:

A quick question? Who would you like to see replace fergie when he does finally decide he has had enough.

My choice at the moment is Mark Hughes. I dont want them to give to Quieroz, please god.
    not a great fan of hughes. he has done a good job with Rovers, but he moans too much imo - blames the ref too often.

Given that i think Fergie will be around for another two years, i'm hoping Keane will have done enough to prove himself ready.

I think he has been really impressive, and it's not just me btw, he was in the nominations for PFA footballer of the year, in the top 6.
    I think he has been really fantasic this year to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

just throwing this out there but anyone think Freddy Adu might sign when he turns 18. he had a trial with a view to summer move and people keep suggesting a need for a long term giggs replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

na, cant see adu coming in to be honest! it was my first time seeing Nani playing this week and i was impressed. he is one option, as is Schnieder. Hargreaves looks a cert at this stage, with huntellarr also high up the list. but uniteds summer transfer dealings are never easy are they? evans, pique and rossi to replace the likes of silvestre and richardson and Ole (season after) in the squad. i think smith, shea, fletcher and browne have played well enough lately to be kept on. in fact, the latter 3 players there will never leave united, im convinced of that!! foster to give van der sar a push for the number 1 spot also. if united didnt make any signings(but we all know that we have to spend to replace Neville, Giggs and Scholes), here would be a team for the future.

foster
    evans rio vidic evra
    fletcher/park Carrick Pique Ronaldo
    rooney rossi

:)

An unfreakinbelievable day. Football, bloody hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Adu joined salt lake city in December, when he had the trial with Utd there were reports saying he wasnt good enough so doubt he'll ever be coming to Utd especially since he seems to be gone backwards club wise in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

And Leeds also go down!!! What a frigging day.

RasTa wrote:
    And Leeds also go down!!! What a frigging day.

one of the best in a long long time

1- a goal difference lead, turned into 5 points in the space of 20 minutes
    2- coming form 2 goals down and winning 4-2
    3- chelsea concedeeding 2 goals, but more crucially, dropping 2 points
    4- liverpool lost
    5- city lost
    6- leeds!!

great day all in all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Have any fans received tickets or confirmation of tickets for the West Ham game yet? They never confirm with me and usually just show up at my Dublin address. But it's a pain in the arse not knowing if I was successful or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Adu joined salt lake city in December, when he had the trial with Utd there were reports saying he wasnt good enough so doubt he'll ever be coming to Utd especially since he seems to be gone backwards club wise in the US.

That has more to do with the draft system in the US as opposed to his potential, i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

one of the best in a long long time

1- a goal difference lead, turned into 5 points in the space of 20 minutes
    2- coming form 2 goals down and winning 4-2
    3- chelsea concedeeding 2 goals, but more crucially, dropping 2 points
    4- liverpool lost
    5- city lost
    6- leeds!!

great day all in all!

And if Derby fail to beat Crystal Palace tomorrow, Keano and Brucie's teams get promoted.

That would be some bloody weekend. :D

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote:
    Have any fans received tickets or confirmation of tickets for the West Ham game yet? They never confirm with me and usually just show up at my Dublin address. But it's a pain in the arse not knowing if I was successful or not

the way it works is -

for league games -
    if your successful, the money comes out of your account, anything from 2 weeks to 6 weeks before the game. so check it!

if you are unsuccessful, then you either get an email telling you were rejected or if you ring the phoneline first, 00448704421999, option 4, they will tell you the results of the automated ballot, you will not get an email then.

for cup games, the cut off point is 4 working days, but for the milan and celtic games, i got notification 2 days before hand and had to pick the tickets up at old trafford for the milan game. its a bit of a lottery really, but it generally works out ok! the only pain is flights and they are way too expensive to manchester, but i normally fly to liverpool and get the train (40 minutes), fly to birmingham and hire a car (bout 90 minutes) or lately, its flying to leeds, which takes about 55 minutes by train then and can be really cheap.

anyway lads, it looks like saha's career at OT is in big big trouble, it seems that he is refusing to play, which is totally shocking. he will be sold in the summer unless he comes up with some big big goals for the rest of the season.

and finally, credit where credit is due, to the legend that is John O Shea!!! He has now scored the 2 most important goals of the season, both on mersyside. he has taken alot of flak off everybody on ere and since that game at spurs where he played in goal, his confidence has soared and he has been very good since then. what a vital player and vital role he has played this year. i never thought i would every say that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Where does it say that Saha is refusing to play? If thats true, its totally unacceptable. I heard his agent(s) were in Manchester this weekend to discuss his future at OT.

Supposedly Ferguson is sick and tired of his constant injuries and also it seems as though their relationship has soured somewhat. And we all know what happens if that is true....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Found this on redcafe. Its supposedly a transcript of a brief conversation between SAF and 'Jeff', who I would presume to mean Jeff Shreeves of Sky Sports. Not sure if its true, cant find anything of it on manutd.com or sky sports, but if it is, Saha is surely finished:

SAF and Jeff

"Ronaldo's taken a bit of a knock in training. He probably could have played, but it would be a risk. And not one that we're prepared to take."

"And no progress on the other players out injured? It was rumoured that Rio Ferdinand and Louis Saha would be fit and on the bench today?"

"Rio's close. We're hopeful for Wednesday. Louis is fully fit"

"He's fit? Are you resting him for Milan?"

"No."

"So why hasn't he been named in the side?"

"You'll have to ask him that Jeff"

"Has there been...

"That's all I've got to say on the issue"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

That's unfortunate if it's true. Saha's goals at the beginning of the season played a major part in getting us to where we are in the Premiership. It'd be a shame if he wasn't around to celebrate with the team. Anyway, no need to trust such hearsay yet, but with all the rumours it's likely something's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Sizzler wrote:

Bloody hell :eek:

"Jesus, god he's going on and on and on. It's a rant all the time now".

Never heard Fergie so animated in his comments. Maureen needs to start eating humble pie. Tosser.

the above piece from redcafe was where i saw it too, it could be rubbish though, if true, Louis is as good as sold. its a far cry from a few weeks ago when fergie said that "at one stage this season, i could never have imagined our team without louis saha". also, saha said 3 weeks ago that he was fit and rearing to go and couldnt wait to release the energy that he had built up. he was brilliant up to christmas, one of our players of the season but suppose you can directly blame the injuries for that. his confidence must be shattered over last few weeks. a great player, who if he plays a full season of about 40 games, could definatley hit 20-25 goals.

id like him to be given one final chance next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Saha has done ok when hes been fit but thats the problem...he hasnt been fit enough of the time. Would be glad to get rid of him.

One of the papers today has a story on chelski bidding 20m for Berbatov, I wouldnt mind see him at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

2 nil to palace ,WELL DONE KEANO , Can not wait for next season Fergie V Keano at OT, Booking tickets for that one, Reception and Atmosphere should be outstanding (before kick off that is):D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

In a few newspapers on sunday, Fergie was saying that Rio and Vidic 'might'
    be ready for a comeback in the 2nd leg of the Champions League semi-finals
    on wednesday against AC Milan. I was thinking this might be just what United
    needs as we do seem to be leeking goals as I can't remember the last time
    we had a clean sheet (even if we don't keep a clean sheet, they'd still be a
    help). But maybe in some parts it's a risk as Vida' didn't play since march with
    the colar bone injury and Rio was meant to be back 'after' the Milan ties with
    his groin injury.

• Advertisement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=451591&in_page_id=1779

Jose Mourinho responded to seeing Manchester United all but snatch Chelsea’s Premiership title by launching another astonishing attack on Cristiano Ronaldo — this time insulting his family and ridiculing his lack of education.

Mourinho accused United winger Ronaldo, who is also Portuguese, of "not showing maturity and respect" and attributed that to a "difficult childhood" with "no education".

Chelsea’s manager has become embroiled in a war of words with the double PFA Player of the Year after complaining that United led a charmed life when it came to penalty decisions.

Ronaldo replied that Mourinho "does not know how to admit his own failures" and the Stamford Bridge boss reacted by branding the 22-year-old "a liar".

Then, in the aftermath of Chelsea’s 2-2 draw at home to Bolton on Saturday which saw them slip five points behind Premiership leaders United, Mourinho was asked about comments Sir Alex Ferguson had made in response to the row.

Mourinho said: "It’s a game where a kid had some statements not very . . . not showing maturity and respect, maybe difficult childhood, no education, maybe the consequence of that. Sir Alex felt he had to protect his boy. But normal things . . . I have no problems with him (Ferguson). I have no problem with the boy."

Ferguson will not appreciate the remarks about his player, who had an impoverished background in Madeira, from someone who had a privileged upbringing and a university education. Ronaldo’s father Dinnis, a council gardener, died from kidney problems after a long battle against alcoholism. His mother Dolores was forced to take jobs as a cleaner and a cook and Ronaldo grew up in a tiny, tin-roofed shack.

Mourinho also came under subtle attack from Rafa Benitez, whose Liverpool side will seek to overturn a 1-0 deficit when they play Chelsea in the second leg of the Champions League semifinal at Anfield tomorrow.

Benitez claimed Mourinho is under severe pressure, saying: "Chelsea have spent more money than anyone else in the world in the last five years. They have spent millions and they need to win trophies. If they cannot win the league now they will be under real pressure.

"They are the favourites. We are the underdogs."

Mourinho, meanwhile, is understood to be unimpressed that his German midfielder Michael Ballack chose to have surgery on Friday night on an ankle injury that will rule him out for 10 days, jeopardising his chances of appearing in key end-of-season matches.

Jose really is, a truly horrible person.

Mourinho is just begging for Ronaldo to score a hatrick.

Also, how many football players have you heard use the word polemic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

That comment by Jose is bizarre. It's pompous and snide and why does he want Ronaldo as motivated as possible for the games against Chelsea?

Mark wrote:
    That comment by Jose is bizarre. It's pompous and snide and why does he want Ronaldo as motivated as possible for the games against Chelsea?

so he can get suspended for FA Cup final!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think Mourinho has sunk to the levels of the likes of Sony when it comes to making statements.

I mean, it doesn't take someone with a "university eduction" to realise that to try and belittle someone because of their background will cause you to look like an absolute twat. Maybe Mourinho should go and take a psychology course for a while.

I wonder if he's frightend that with £50m spent in the summer, that all he's managed to do is make his team worse than it was before and infinitely more hated.

Lets make mourinho pay for those remarks. Ronaldo to score a hatrick in all 2/3 games. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

This just shows the type of person Moaninho is....totally takes away any respect he may have earned in his first 2 seasons in English football.

On a lighter note, United have signed a new player....check out no. 18 here....

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={91EA3BE2-963A-4BAB-802C-F46A0EF3FCA3}&page=1

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Another decent game from Rossi yesterday, with an assist and only a brilliant safe from the goalie denying him a goal.

Indeed, rumours are that he will go out on loan for another full season next year, which I'd be disappointed with. That said, with his form this year for Parma, he will defo go to a bigger club next season, and come to United a top top player.

Why would we loan him out for another season? Makes no sense to me. I think he's ready.

Why would we loan him out for another season? Makes no sense to me. I think he's ready.
    i don't think he will be coming back. I can't see why you'd loan him back to italy if not to put him in the shop window. We need him to be ready for the prem - and its not like the experienced shevchenko hit the ground running is it?

I think there is room for him though. Right now, i think Rooney is the only garunteed first choice striker for next season.

Saha will probably be sold. Ole just can't handle it anymore, not on a consistent enough basis, and Smith isn't going to be getting the goals required.

So, it could be: Rooney +Another(Berbatov/Tevez/Torres etc) Rossi and Smith, with Ole as the final backup.

I do hope Rossi gets his chance, cause he has fantastic ability; i just think he could go the same way as David Jones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement