Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

i don't think he will be coming back. I can't see why you'd loan him back to italy if not to put him in the shop window

To get him experience. Look at what happened at Newcastle, a silly English club who didn't realise just how good he is. That wouldn't happen in an Italian club, as they realise how good he is. Giving him another year out on loan in a decent Serie A club is probably better than him going to somewhere like Newcastle again.
    The agent of on-loan Parma striker Giuseppe Rossi says his future is with parent club Manchester United.

Andrea Pastorello said: "Giuseppe is equipped with extraordinary talent and has great humility. He arrived in Italy to gain experience and has married himself to the cause of Parma. But in July he will return to Manchester because he is not for sale.

"I have spoken with (Sir Alex) Ferguson, who believes strongly in him.

"The most probable hypothesis next season is for a simple loan without any purchase clause, also because the boy has need to play and in the United squad, in attack, there are extraordinary champions."

Rossi won't end up like Jones, even if he does leave United,
    he already has top class suitors after him.

If he does go out for a year long loan, I think it means that we will be buying another striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

PHB wrote:
    Indeed, rumours are that he will go out on loan for another full season next year, which I'd be disappointed with. That said, with his form this year for Parma, he will defo go to a bigger club next season, and come to United a top top player.

If SAF sends Rossi on loan again next season then that clearly says that one, SAF does not think he is good enough and if at 21 your not good enough now, then you never will be for Manu. The same applies for Pique. I think that Evans and Simpson may go on loan again next season, still young though. There was loads of talk about David Jones going to be a top player for manu, he ended been shiped off to derby. Chris Eagles is still hanging around Manu at the moment, he has been out on loan to more clubs then any other Manu player. I think he will be let go this season, nothing more then a squad player if even as well.

If SAF sends Rossi on loan again next season then that clearly says that one, SAF does not think he is good enough and if at 21 your not good enough now, then you never will be for Manu. The same applies for Pique.

Why? Em, Beckham was out on loan at 20. Rossi is currently 20 (in Feb). Pique is currently 20 (in Feb).
    There was loads of talk about David Jones going to be a top player for manu, he ended been shiped off to derby.

Indeed, I think Jones will still go on to be a good player, and has been doing very well at Derby. That said, he hasn't proved himself like Pique and Rossi have. Rossi has 7 goals and as many assists in 16 Serie A games. Pique has been a regular defender in one of the best defences in La Liga.

I think if Rossi can't get into the squad next season, it's because United are intending to buy another striker. If we don't buy another striker, and Rossi is loaned out again, then Fergie doesn't rate him, but everything Fergie has said and done has suggested otherwise.

If we buy another striker, that puts Rossi well down the pecking order, especially with Ole around for one more season. However once Ole leaves, and he will defo leave by the end of next season, a space has opened up, and Rossi will take that place, and begin to work his way into the United squad, still aged 21.

Those are the normal ages for a player to break through, kids like Ronaldo and Rooney are exceptions to the rule.

Chris Eagles is still hanging around Manu at the moment, he has been out on loan to more clubs then any other Manu player. I think he will be let go this season, nothing more then a squad player if even as well.

Eagles won't make it at United imo, I'd be suprised. That said, if he gets a couple more chances and takes them, ya never know. Football's a funny game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Great quote from SAF in his news conference, SSN just showed a little snipet.

He said: "He (Mourinho) was below the belt bringing class into it. Just because someone is from a poor, working class background does not mean they are not educated. Ronaldo has principles, which is why he hasn't responded, whereas some people have education and no principles."

I wonder who :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Great quote from SAF in his news conference, SSN just showed a little snipet.

He said: "He (Mourinho) was below the belt bringing class into it. Just because someone is from a poor, working class background does not mean they are not educated. Ronaldo has principles, which is why he hasn't responded, whereas some people have education and no principles."

I wonder who :)
    lol, very good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, Barton is suspended for the derby. Combine that with City's abysmal home form this year and you'd expect United to win. Arsenal aren't gonna roll over for Chelsea either, this could be it at the weekend as far as the title goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Reward for beating Milan - Liverpool in the final. Not bad!

Champions League, havin' a laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if we get to the final, there is going to be a lot of trouble in Athens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

It could be nasty alright. I can't imagine the fans of whichever team wins will allow the others to forget it. When small pockets of supporters are singing about Hillsborough or Munich, you really have to be worried. Anyway, we're not there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

God that was some dire football tonight. Saw this over on the Guardian Football, I have to agree.
    Rob Smyth wrote:
    Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of mixing colours knows that, when you put red and blue together, you get purple, but there was nothing deep about the match between Liverpool and Chelsea at Anfield tonight. While it was inevitably infused with the highest drama, it was lowest-common-denominator football and, to reverse a cliché, a shocking advert for the English game. This is England.

It was perversely just that such a cowardly, risk-free game should be decided by penalties, and hugely ironic that a contest between two erudite, thoughtful managers should be so staggeringly witless. If it was a boxing match it would have been stopped because it was too boring. The freedom of trade in football over the last 15 years has, theoretically, homogenised club sides and stripped them of their national identity, yet this was as excruciatingly English as fish and chips and weekend punch-ups, full of primitive football and barely suppressed illwill. The ball was given more air than a load of wet washing, and football's soul was certainly hung out to dry. Indeed, the match could have been taken from any episode of Match of the Day in the late 80s. Who says retro is cool?

Liverpool pride themselves on the pass-and-move traditions developed in the Boot Room, yet this was more like kick-and-chase developed in the Hoof Room. The intellect of their goal - for which, perversely, the ball barely left the floor - could not absolve the gibberish that sandwiched it. The end may well justify the means; that depends on the individual's view of the balance between success and glory. But it is hard to legitimately argue that it was an edifying spectacle. How must Ronaldinho, Francesco Totti, Lionel Messi and their fellow fantasistas have felt watching 19 pragmatistas (the cheeky-chappy class of Joe Cole makes him a worthy exception) serve up this fare? It was like showing an episode of EastEnders at the Cannes Film Festival.

Liverpool were always likely to bomb Chelsea, given the success of the tactic in the league game between the sides in January, and it was notable that there were only two, relatively minor, changes from that side: Boudewijn Zenden for Fabio Aurelio and Javier Mascherano for Xabi Alonso. But the omission of an aesthete like Alonso spoke volumes about the contest ahead, as did Chelsea's transparent plan to blag a 0-0 draw. In the end, Liverpool were able to lean on their most reliable matchwinner: penalties. With their record in shootouts - 10 wins in 11 now - they will probably become the first team to win a league title on penalties.

In amongst the mediocrity there were, inevitably, some wonderful demonstrations of the human spirit: Michael Essien, asked to play out of position at centre-half again, was majestic, Steven Gerrard's all-action heroism enabled him to wipe the floor with Frank Lampard once more, Jamie Carragher and John Terry put their backs against the wall and valiantly took whatever hits were coming, and Claude Makelele reminded us why his name will forever define a position.

Yet the football remained loveless, full of sour faces and dour tactics. It is, of course, hard to enjoy playing under this pressure - gravity always wins - but the likes of Ronaldinho manage to show their teeth from time to time. The only teeth on show here were those being pulled by unfortunate neutrals. It all evoked the famous headline after the dire draw between Ireland and England at Italia 90: 'No Football Please, We're British'. While there was glory and spoils for the victors, anyone with a knowledge of football knows that this rudimentary nonsense is spoiling the game.

The final is going to be bloody tense if we get through. I reckon we can take them though. I don't think I could deal with it otherwise. May 25th 2005 was absolutely horrible. Let's hope 16th May 2007 is better.

• Advertisement

Don't tempt fate :)
    We're nowhere near there yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

If Man U progress tonight I really really hope Scholes doesn't pick up a booking! (not tempting fate! not tempting fate!)

a little mantra picked up from jaapsai.com..... ONE GAME AT A TIME!

but the HST is nailed on.... ;)

ONE GAME AT A TIME!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

God that was some dire football tonight. Saw this over on the Guardian Football, I have to agree.

The final is going to be bloody tense if we get through. I reckon we can take them though. I don't think I could deal with it otherwise. May 25th 2005 was absolutely horrible. Let's hope 16th May 2007 is better.

Why? What's on May 16th?;)

Nunu wrote:
    Why? What's on May 16th?;)

The week-long countdown to this years champions league final of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Jaysus,

you nearly put the heart crossways on me Jimi. I'm away that week and thought I'd got the date wrong.

Yeah, I was confused myself there for a while. My housemate had convinced me that was the date. I've an exam on the 17th so thank god I got it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

We lacked a player who could change the game tonight. Giggs was awful, simple passes messed up, Smith should have came on for him and Rooney go left. Smith would rough the defence up too. Ronaldo and Rooney couldnt hack the Milan defence, especially when we hoofed balls up to Rooney, there will always be only 1 winner, yet we persisted.

Gattuso, Seedorf and Kaka were brilliant. Showed real passion and strenght.

Look at the positions of Milan and Liverpool in their respective leagues, they both have had it easier than ManU and Chelsea. This has helped them in the run to the final.

This summer a new winger to replace Giggs and hard midfielder is needed. We lacked these tonight. Hopefully we can go on and do the double now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

They need some big strong players especially a striker. Rooney cant do everything on his own and Saha isnt gonna play every games if he's still around next season. They were like a youth team against a senior team tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mg Ronaldo for me showed his real colours last night

if he only had a good football brain he would be class but the boy doesnt

i dont understand how he gets away without tracking back :confused: every game he plays , he doesnt track back

iv given up on him to be honest.

maybe he was tired last night but over the season hes just pisses me off that he is taught to be one of the best players in the Europe and as we saw last night Kaka is reality

we need big signings in summer a good lot

and we need to get rid of players too

lads whats your opinan on Carrick this season
    i think hes not a united player

yes he recently scored class goals but he goes missing in games
    and not a good short passer as Scholes is

he does intercept balls but just doesn't do it for me

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Would you calm down. We just lost in a eurocup semi without our first choice defenders. We lost with a not full strength team to one of the best teams in Europe. We have a young team and we got schooled last night in the pouring rain. They completely shut us down and outplayed us. It doesnt mean that we have to panic, and rush-buy in a load of players. The bones of that team is still going for a League and FA cup double for **** sake. We have a load of young players capable of bringng flair and beautiful football to us every week. Sure there were holes exposed in our squad and we do need to fill them, and there are one or two areas where a top class signing would be benificial, but the potential for the future is astounding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah thats more like a man utd champions league performance. depressing:(

i dont understand how he gets away without tracking back every game he plays , he doesnt track back

iv given up on him to be honest.

maybe he was tired last night but over the season hes just pisses me off that he is taught to be one of the best players in the Europe and as we saw last night Kaka is reality

I think that post is ****ing hilarious. Just a quick point, might be glaringly obvious to everyone else but,

KAKA DOESN'T TRACK BACK EITHER!!

i think ronaldo is getting unfair flack. He didn't play well, that much is obvious. But there are players that were far worse then him - Giggs being the worst. Rooney is also worse last night. In the secopnd half, Ronaldo and Scholes were the only two to keep going, the rest all just seemed to give up.

And as for compairing him to Kaka, Kaka is 4 years older then him, with a lot more experience, and played against a team that didn't defend against him at all. If we had put two players on Kaka all night he probably wouldn't have done much either. Kaka is a great player, but we simply didn't do anything to try and stop him, which is terrible. If Milan had given Ronaldo the same amount of time and space, he probably would have played great too. I don't think there are many players ni the world that would have had a good game against Milan if up against the same tactics as Ronnie was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

we were outplayed by a great team, Liverpool will prove to be
    a bigger test for them as they've very few injuries and are very solid at the back. Milan should win it though if they play like they have done for the last few European games. Kaka is a better all round player than Ronaldo, but he has nearly 4 years on him so give him a chance eh!

Role on City, hopefully we can wrap up the league soon...

worse joke ever

A few of the AC Milan players houses were robbed last night.

Apparently Rooney, Ronaldo and Giggs are all suspects....no one can vouch for their whereabouts last night between 7.45 and 9.30?

• Advertisement

Would you calm down. We just lost in a eurocup semi without our first choice defenders. We lost with a not full strength team to one of the best teams in Europe. We have a young team and we got schooled last night in the pouring rain. They completely shut us down and outplayed us. It doesnt mean that we have to panic, and rush-buy in a load of players. The bones of that team is still going for a League and FA cup double for **** sake. We have a load of young players capable of bringng flair and beautiful football to us every week. Sure there were holes exposed in our squad and we do need to fill them, and there are one or two areas where a top class signing would be benificial, but the potential for the future is astounding.
    im not angry or anything to be honest i rather win the league but we do need to get rid of players

i would get rid of Brown, Richardson, Fletcher(who did play well recently but still, no) Saha(always injured) and O'Shea(im 50/50 on that decision) and Silvestre

and we need to get better players to replace these players and then theres the old players to think of , like Giggs and Scholes need future replacements for them

and Hargreaves should not be bought he we need a player like Gattuso

its not a rant just what i think united need to do to get better

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Totally agree about getting rid of some of those fringe players.
    Brown was cruel last night. He was helped by Van der Sar like a schoolboy all night. Instead of distributing intelligently he hoofed it back to the keeper or made hospital passes all night. Richardson is not worth the space on the bench to be honest, he's just too inconsistent. Fletcher is ****e and always has been in my opinion. I dont want to see him progress further with Utd. O' Shea should really be the first out the door. I know he's Irish, but that doesnt make him exempt from being ****e. At least he's trying now. Maybe Roy Keane at sunderland could scare him into a good footballer. I know there's talent in there somewhere, he just doesnt seem to give a ****.

Look, you can't get rid of people if you don't replace them. If we sell O'Shea, who are we going to get to replace his role (anywhere across the back 4) for equal price? There is nobody out there like.

I agree about Richardson, and to be honest, Saha looks like he is on his way out anyway.

I think Brown is a pretty good 3rd choice CB, but to be honest, I'd rather Pique than him. The only reason I want him gone is because we have a ready made replacement.

Fletcher has played well recently, and for god sake, Gerrard was ****ing **** at his age, why does nobody remember that Fletcher is still a young player.

If you put together a list of players that age, you'd see Fletcher is pretty high up in that list.

im not angry or anything to be honest i rather win the league but we do need to get rid of players

i would get rid of Brown, Richardson, Fletcher(who did play well recently but still, no) Saha(always injured) and O'Shea(im 50/50 on that decision) and Silvestre

and we need to get better players to replace these players and then theres the old players to think of , like Giggs and Scholes need future replacements for them

and Hargreaves should not be bought he we need a player like Gattuso

its not a rant just what i think united need to do to get better
    I'd like to have a run at this post, if you please.

I agree Richardson should be sold, and Saha, then I would sell one of either O'Shea or Silvestre. Beyond that, i think the rest should stay.

Brown is a decent player, and can fill in at centre back and right back. He is not great, and hasn't fulfilled the potential he had when he was younger, but he is a good squad player.

I feel the same about Fletcher, he HAS played well recently, and he has proven he is a good player to have in the squad. His performance last night should not get him sold, or we'll have to consider putting Scholes, Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic, Carrick and a few others up for sale too.

If we sold all the player you have mentioned, then brought back Pique, Evans and Rossi (simpson is not ready and Bardsley is not good enough) the squad would look like the following;

Goal Keepers: Van Der Saar, Tommy K, Foster.

Defenders: Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Heinze, Pique, Evans.

Midfielders: Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Park.

Strikers: Rooney, Rossi, Smith, Ole, DONG.

So, after your fire sale, we have 1 right back, 5 players who can play CB to an acceptable level and 2 left backs. Personally, I think we'd be short at right back.

In midfield we would have our current 4, then Park. A ridiculas situation to be in.

Up front, we would have one striker that we know can score (Rooney) one good squad player with good link abilities (smith) one player that hasn't proven himself in the prem (Rossi) one that has never played in the prem (DONG) and one that would struggle for long term match fitness and sharpness (Ole). Again, we'd be weak up front.

IMO, after your fire sale, we would need to buy a right back, 2 central midfielders, a winger, and a stiker.

So - we now look to the transfer market.

What right back do you suggest we bring in. Personally i would love Alves, but i doubt we spend the money, and if we did, what happens to captain Neville? we'd eend up going for a right back that would sit on the bench most of the season - why not just keep brown?

What central midfielders do you suggest? I know we need a battler, but you don't want hargreaves (you know, the guy who dominated midfield against Milan in the first leg of the quarters), so who else is there? Gattusso is a no go, we have tried and failed before; he will never be a United player. I honestly can't think of a combative midfielder we could get, and be fairly sure would fit in apart from Hargreaves - so who do you want us to go for? The second midfielder would be a real problem too. Whoever we sign would be behind Scholes, Carrick, and the combative midfielder. Why not keep Fletcher? He has proven he can be relied upon most of the time, and is a balanced midfielder. Add to that the fact he is a United lad and loves the club, who are we going to get that would be a better squad player?

As for up front, i agree with you - Saha should be sold, and a top striker brought in, but who? Personally, I don't know - but i wouldn't mind Tevez; quick, strong, skillfull and could rotate in a front 3 with Ronaldo and Rooney. Who are you suggesting?

And overall, what cost are you expecting for all these players, and would we even have the money for it? Sure, we'd all love a team with worldclass players in every position, and world class subs for every position, but it is just not realistic. Players like Brown and Fletcher we always have a place in most squads, to think otherwise is fantasy (unless you are chelsea and can afford to spend 24million on a player you hardly play, or massive contracts so the people earning them but not playing play happy families)

very good post Tauren

i do admit i agree with some of suggestions like keeping Fletcher etc

yes i like tevez too but i just cant see him holding the ball up like Van the man use too

thats what we missed to last night too

when the ball went up to Rooney he couldnt keep it

he couldn't out jump the defenders most of the time

hopefully when united win the league and FA cup and the sky tv deal comes in United will have alot of money to play around with

• Advertisement

very good post Tauren

i do admit i agree with some of suggestions like keeping Fletcher etc

yes i like tevez too but i just cant see him holding the ball up like Van the man use too

thats what we missed to last night too

when the ball went up to Rooney he couldnt keep it

he couldn't out jump the defenders most of the time
    Berbatov would be an excellent player for holding the ball up and linking back to the running midfielders, but i'd be worried his lack of out and out pace would stifle the united style. However, he is just so damn good it would be impossible to be disappointed if we signed him. Getting spurs to sell after just one season, and Berbatov to leave after just one season, then fighting off the inevitable bid from Chelsea, are major obsticels on that one though. Tevez's MSI links are teh mojor road block for signing him though - i'd want MSI out of the picture completely.

I think it wasn't necessarily the players fault. They looked jaded and they didn't press at all last night (at least not when it mattered). Liverpool have, arguably, a worse side than Man U yet they overcame Chelsea through sheer hard work and determination. Milan had too much time on the ball, and when you give any team time on the ball they're going to punish you.

I think competing for three trophies finally caught up on the squad, with the injuries to Saha, Solskjaer, Rio, Vidic, Neville - most of the players out there had played every match for the last two months without a break. The squad needs to be added to, more depth so next season Man U have enough quality to rest big players in PL matches and still get a result, Man U haven't had that luxury this season. Milan and Liverpool, on the other hand, have been able to rest their players on a regular basis.

Look at the squad in 99 - Berg, Johnsen, Phil Nevile, Butt, Blomqvist, Sheringham, Solskjaer - quality reserves. If you offered any Man U fan or player the chance to be in a CL semi-final with a one-goal lead going to Milan before the beginning of this season, they would have snatched at it.

The way I see it, the performance was disappointing, the attitude etc. but anything which could surpass last season's failure to qulaify for the knock-out stages has to be seen as a success. It's a development, the team isn't goin to go from also-rans to European kings in the space of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Thats what we need, another Henning Berg. I had totally forgotten about him. to be true, thats a quality bench....which pretty much won the 99 final cough cough.

LOTP wrote:
    Thats what we need, another Henning Berg. I had totally forgotten about him. to be true, thats a quality bench....which pretty much won the 99 final cough cough.
    just look at the starting lineup that night - neither scholes or keane were in it, could the current united cope with the loss of that quality? Not a hope.

the United 99 squad and first team were way better then the current team imo. We don't have the strength in depth we once had.

People look back with rosey memories. In all fairness, some of our squad was pretty **** back then, Blomqvist was not what I would have considered quality, and at the time, there was much mocking of him as a player.

That said, our squad clearly isn't as strong (cept in defense, where we are pretty much covered)

PHB wrote:
    People look back with rosey memories. In all fairness, some of our squad was pretty **** back then, Blomqvist was not what I would have considered quality, and at the time, there was much mocking of him as a player.

That said, our squad clearly isn't as strong (cept in defense, where we are pretty much covered)
    I really liked Blomqvist - he did not have a good end to his Man United career, but i though he was very good for us that year. He wasn't as good as Giggs, obviously, but he was good enough to enable us to rest Giggs when we wanted to. He wasn't going to win player of the year in 99, but i think you have been a little harsh on it, his contribution to the side was very good imo.

PHB wrote:

I don't agree. The squad was reliable, you could call on players liek Sheri and Solskjaer and Butt and you knew they were gonna give a good performance. Would you rely on O'Shea, Heinze etc.? Our squad depth was better than any other side at that time, these things have to be viewed in context. Fergie arguably initiated squad depth...it's become so naturalized now that, of course, as you pointed out, it seems that it was a **** squad...the point I'm trying to make is our squad isn't good enough to win everything!

Hey, I'm not disputing that Sheringham Ole and Butt were top quality, but to suggest that Blomqvist was incredible is just silly. Park is certainly as good as him.

Our squad isn't good enough to win everything, I agree, but let's not pretend the 99 squad was magical either.
    No squad is ever going to be perect.

PHB wrote:
    Hey, I'm not disputing that Sheringham Ole and Butt were top quality, but to suggest that Blomqvist was incredible is just silly. Park is certainly as good as him.

Our squad isn't good enough to win everything, I agree, but let's not pretend the 99 squad was magical either.
    No squad is ever going to be perect.

Whoa I never said that Blomqvist was incredible and yes, Park is certainly as good as Blom ever was.

I actually do believe that the 99 squad was good, or "magical" but like I said, in the context of the footballing times. Fergie was able to rotate due to the depth of the squad, which other teams weren't able to do. Now squad depth is a prerequisite for European football, but Man U's squad depth has maintianed that same level (or gotten worse, imo) it was at in 99 when in all reality it should be much better. Other teams have gotten ahead, Man U have stayed the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I thought people would of changed their minds over the past few weeks on their opinions of O' Shea and Fletcher. Thought O'Shea was our best player last night even though that wouldn't be too difficult.

• Advertisement

Yeh maybe, but I still think our squad depth isn't actually that bad.

Yeah it isn't that bad...I think the team was very unlucky to have such bad injuries to the whole defence at a crucial time...let's not forget though, this season has been a huge success for the club - regardless of the performance last night, the very fact that they got there in the first place considering the previous few seasons in Europe has to be admired

ps I don't blame the players for ast night, I just think they were shagged after a very tough season on a thin squad...seldom was our squad full fit during this term...I'm, surprised they've done as well as they have done tbh...imagine if Chelsea lost Terry, Carvalho, Cole and Ferreira at the same time...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Yeah it isn't that bad...I think the team was very unlucky to have such bad injuries to the whole defence at a crucial time...let's not forget though, this season has been a huge success for the club - regardless of the performance last night, the very fact that they got there in the first place considering the previous few seasons in Europe has to be admired

ps I don't blame the players for ast night, I just think they were shagged after a very tough season on a thin squad...seldom was our squad full fit during this term...I'm, surprised they've done as well as they have done tbh...imagine if Chelsea lost Terry, Carvalho, Cole and Ferreira at the same time...!

i agree, On the whole we've been excellent. The defensive injuries came at a bad time. Thats not to take away from milans 2nd leg performance either. They were incredible and deserved to go through. Lets hope they beat liverpool in the final. I think both o shea and fletcher have been playing quite well in recent weeks and are worthy squad players. they're certainly not match winners anyway. Well...o shea is isnt he?? ha ha!!!

I thought United badly needed a tough tackling midfielder on wednesday. We were overrun by gattuso and Pirlo and we needed someone to get amongst them 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Linked today with Micah Richards for £20m :eek:

Good player but fúck me the premium on english talent is gone beyond a joke. There is no way this lad is worth anywhere near that, admittedly not his fault City would ask for that much.

For that money we could dip into La Liga or Serie A and get a seasoned international.

Should be looking at getting a defender, a playmaker MF and a Defensive MF and obviously then a striker who can help out Rooney. Saha is great when hes in top gear and not injured, sadly those two things dont come together too often :(

Richards is not coming to United for 20 million.
    Why the **** would we spend any money on a new defender?
    IMO, we have the best defensive squad in the league. Our first choice top 4, Neville-Rio-Vidic-Evra is top top quality.
    Our cover of Brown, Heinze, O'Shea, Slyvestre is the best squad cover there is imo. There is no better second choice back 4 if you ask me.
    We will not be spending money, especially not silly money, on a defender.

I think Hargreaves is an absolutely done deal.

I think after that, Fergie seems to be focusing on a striker.
    I think Saha is going to be sold. He was missing for a key part of our season, and missing through his own choice it would appear. That tells me all you need to know. It's a pity, cause I like him as a player, but if you aren't there for the team, bye bye.
    I think the strikers we need to be looking at are Berbatov or Eto. I can't think of anybody else who does what we need them to do. We need somebody who can lead the line, like really lead the line. Excellent hold up play, brings other players involved. Can make a key pass to the runners, either Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney or the advanced midfielders.
    Can score goals himself, from outside and inside the box.

The way I see it, there are about three players that can do all that:
    Eto, Berbatov, Drogba.
    Drogba ain't availible, so it's gona have to be one of the other two.

What I'd like to see in the summer.

GK:
    Bring back Foster, let him and VDS fight it out.

Defense:
    Bring back Pique and Bardsley. Leave Evans and Simpson out on loan.
    Sell Brown, Slyvestre.
    Let Pique replace Brown as 3rd choice CB. Let Bardsley provide RB cover.
    We'd be just as strong as this year, but giving the youth a chance. I think Pique has shown what a player he is.

Central Midfield:
    Bring in Hargreaves. No other changes.
    Four midfielders of Fletcher, Hargreaves, Carrick and Scholes should be enough to challenge on all four fronts.

Wingers:
    Buy somebody :) I think we need a young talent, say Nani for around 10 million or something. This can be funded by the sale of Richardon + Brown.
    Ronaldo, Park, Giggs and somebody else should be enough

Strikers:
    Sell Saha
    Bring in Eto/Berbatov
    Bring back Rossi
    Sell Smith :/ Sad, but just not good enough for United
    Have a front four of
    Eto/Berbatov, Rooney, Rossi, and Ole.

Cash wise:
    Sell

Brown - 5 million
    Slyvestre - 2 million
    Richardson - 3 million
    Smith - 7 million

Buy:
    Eto/Berbatov - 25 million
    Hargreaves - 18 million
    Nani/somebody - 10 million

I know it's a lot, but I think since we were in for Hargreaves last year, and didn't spend that money on anyone, we should have that money left over. Then this years transfer budget would go to Eto. And the sale would cover buying a youth winger. Meanwhile, our returning Pique and Rossi would cover the sales.

If that all happens, I'm confident we can challenge on all four fronts next year, and survive the deepest of injury crisis.

if saha is sold, i don't think we should sell smith.

It would leave us with just the 4 strikers you have listed above (including a purcahse), and i don't think Ole is going to offer much next season.

i dont think we should sell smith . the boy might not be as gifted as Ronney etc but mg he gives his heart for the team and gives defences are hard time

hes a good sub

There is no way that Eto'o would a) join Man U or b) we could afford him - why would Barca want to sell one of their best players to a rival European club? It's like seeing Ronaldo being sold to Real - it ain't gonna happen, not for any price.

As for Berbatov, same applies. He's been at Spurs a season, why would they want to sell him and why would he want to leave? They have a developing side there which no doubt will be challenging next season, they play a style suited to his talents, can't see it happening (and we don't have the money) Could you see Henry joinnig Chelsea? No.

Frankly I wouldn't want to see Eto at Old Trafford anyway, he's tempremental, sulky...could well be another exorbiant signing that deosn't work out...don't think he'd fit into the OT ethos tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

As for Berbatov, same applies. He's been at Spurs a season, why would they want to sell him and why would he want to leave? They have a developing side there which no doubt will be challenging next season, they play a style suited to his talents, can't see it happening (and we don't have the money)

challenging for what?

• Advertisement

Premiership...why not? Beat Chelsea this season...just suffer from inconsistency, once they add a few players to their squad, they'll definitely be up there with Liverpool

Advertisement