Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There is no way that Eto'o would a) join Man U or b) we could afford him - why would Barca want to sell one of their best players to a rival European club? It's like seeing Ronaldo being sold to Real - it ain't gonna happen, not for any price.
    Well, Eto'o apparently isn't happy at Barcelona, there have been divisions in the dressing room, Eto'o has been angered by comments made by Rijkard, he has (apparently) had a falling out with Ronaldinho, and there is some other stuff. there actually is a chance he will be sold in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

True but do you really think that we could stump up 20m plus? And that he'd want to come to the rainy north? I think it would be a bad signing, too much of a prima donna imo and we have enough of those at the club anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Premiership...why not? Beat Chelsea this season...just suffer from inconsistency, once they add a few players to their squad, they'll definitely be up there with Liverpool

Not a hope in hell Spurs will challenge. They might get closer to Liverpool but they wont challenge for the title or even the champions league. Liverpool are 18 points behing United and Spurs are a further 14 points back having lost 12 games so far. Not a hope of them turning 8 or 9 of those defeats into wins.

Just because they won a game against Chelsea means noting. Sure West Ham beat United but that doesnt mean they will challenge.

True but do you really think that we could stump up 20m plus? And that he'd want to come to the rainy north? I think it would be a bad signing, too much of a prima donna imo and we have enough of those at the club anyway!
    if he was available, and he would come to us, i do believe we would have the cash to get him. Whether he would actually come to us is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tauren wrote:
    if he was available, and he would come to us, i do believe we would have the cash to get him. Whether he would actually come to us is another matter.
    i dought he'll go any where this summer

the spurs fans will be in a uproar if he goes

they lost Carrick to united already

or i wonder would a swap plus cash deal interest them

saha+Brown and 10 million ?

they get around 20 goals a season forward(if fit) and good defender ?

and my god they need a proper defender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

just thinking again

what about Darren Bent ?

could get him on the cheap

i dought he'll go any where this summer

the spurs fans will be in a uproar if he goes

they lost Carrick to united already

or i wonder would a swap plus cash deal interest them

saha+Brown and 10 million ?

they get around 20 goals a season forward(if fit) and good defender ?

and my god they need a proper defender
    I was talking about Eto'o, not berbatov.

I have heard Berbatov is interested in amove to either us or chelea, but i do not believe it myself. I just don't think he will leave spurs after only one season.

bucks73 wrote:
    Not a hope in hell Spurs will challenge. They might get closer to Liverpool but they wont challenge for the title or even the champions league. Liverpool are 18 points behing United and Spurs are a further 14 points back having lost 12 games so far. Not a hope of them turning 8 or 9 of those defeats into wins.

Just because they won a game against Chelsea means noting. Sure West Ham beat United but that doesnt mean they will challenge.

Uefa Cup quarter-finals? And I'm not just citing the Chelsea result, the way they've played this season has been encouraging, loadsa young developing players...they have a healthy future and Berbatov is part of that, he's hardly gonna leave is he? After one season? Spurs wouldn't even think of selling him! Would you sell one of your best players to a rival club? In the same league? He's a priceless asset for them, 20 odd goals this season numerous assists, brins other players around him into the game, but to think he'd join Man U is imo ludicrous

I'm thinking it'll be Jermian Defoe who'll be swapping WHL for OT, if it was to be any Spurs player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Spurs are doing well, but there's no chance in hell they are challenging next season. If they keep developing, then maybe, maybe, in about 3 years.
    There is no way that Eto'o would a) join Man U or b) we could afford him - why would Barca want to sell one of their best players to a rival European club? It's like seeing Ronaldo being sold to Real - it ain't gonna happen, not for any price.

Ronaldo would have gone to Real if he stated he wants to leave United and go to Real. The situation with Eto in Barca is very dodgy, and there is a good chance we could see him leaving. If he does leave, United will be one of his most likely destinations.
    As for Berbatov, same applies. He's been at Spurs a season, why would they want to sell him and why would he want to leave? They have a developing side there which no doubt will be challenging next season, they play a style suited to his talents, can't see it happening (and we don't have the money) Could you see Henry joinnig Chelsea? No.

I don't know. Can't see Henry joining Chelsea, he's happy there. That said, we saw Cole join Chelsea :) We almost saw Gerrard join Chelsea.
    Players move to win trophies, Berbatov might stay for one more season, but I really don't think, unless they get into the CL, and even then, that Berbatov will stay for another season after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Premiership...why not? Beat Chelsea this season...just suffer from inconsistency, once they add a few players to their squad, they'll definitely be up there with Liverpool

since when are liverpool challenging for the title;)

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Spurs are doing well, but there's no chance in hell they are challenging next season. If they keep developing, then maybe, maybe, in about 3 years.

Ronaldo would have gone to Real if he stated he wants to leave United and go to Real. The situation with Eto in Barca is very dodgy, and there is a good chance we could see him leaving. If he does leave, United will be one of his most likely destinations.

I don't know. Can't see Henry joining Chelsea, he's happy there. That said, we saw Cole join Chelsea :) We almost saw Gerrard join Chelsea.
    Players move to win trophies, Berbatov might stay for one more season, but I really don't think, unless they get into the CL, and even then, that Berbatov will stay for another season after that.

Okay maybe challenging was the wrong term, what I meant was that they're getting better and will be up there with Liverpool next season. They're, as you said, a developing side, so I agree, I don't think Berb will move this summer.

As for players joining rival clubs you mentioned Ashley Cole - driven by money imo, with the opportunity to win trophies not the decising factor (see his autobiography) Plus he was a liability at Arsenal - Berbatov is the antithesis of Cole: loyal, level-headed and certainly not the type of guy imo that would want to move clubs so quickly after arriving in England.

We all know Gerrard had no intention of joining Chelsea, he's a loyal player, captain of his hometown club, all that speculation was just plainly misinformed and misguided.

I don't think Man U need a player like Eto - he's sulky, tempremental and a prima donna. He'll go, if he leaves, to the team who offers im the biggest pay packet. Him joining Man U could be like the situation Fergie had with RVN. Not only in terms of personality but if we sign Eto we'll be restricted as a team, not possessing the type of fludiity offensively that we've grown accustomed to.

I think Eto is a fantastic player but I think Fergie will be looking at someone with a bit more flexibility - someone who can creat and score and bring other players into the game eg Rooney, Ronaldo or say, Berbatov :D but I honestly, despite my own desires to seem him adorn the Utd shirt, don't think he'll join. Rather, I could see a Gudjohnsen / Larsson type player, the same cloth from which Berbatov was cut...but probably someone cheaper, younger and unknown...

Not only in terms of personality but if we sign Eto we'll be restricted as a team, not possessing the type of fludiity offensively that we've grown accustomed to.

I think Eto is a fantastic player but I think Fergie will be looking at someone with a bit more flexibility - someone who can creat and score and bring other players into the game eg Rooney, Ronaldo or say, Berbatov
    Hmmmmm, it seems there are two Eto'os in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Anybody ever seen this lad play?

http://www.werder.de/english/team/spieler/borowski.php

Ticks all the boxes from the bits & pieces I have seen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

^Yeh, wasn't he backup for Ballack at last year's WC? An attacking MC with an eye for goal I think.

Not only in terms of personality but if we sign Eto we'll be restricted as a team, not possessing the type of fludiity offensively that we've grown accustomed to.

Are you serious? He plays as the front man for Barca. He epitomises fludity in a forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

event wrote:
    since when are liverpool challenging for the title;)

1990 obviously :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

PHB wrote:
    Are you serious? He plays as the front man for Barca. He epitomises fludity in a forward.

Agree 100%. Barca seriously struggled without him for much of the season. It he had been properly fit versus Liverpool, I think there would have been a different result. He's a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Instead of Hargreaves, Daniele De Rossi should be the player United gets.

As for defense, Heinze might go. I would not mind to see Brown or Silvestre go too. Bring in Simpson, Evans and Pique. Evans has a good head on him and is a good organiser. Without Rio, the defense was a shambles the other night not because of fitness, injuries etc but because of bad organisation and Evans at Sunderland has shown he has better at that than Brown/Vidic.

Also need a left winger and a striker is Saha goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well we still need a striker even if Saha doesn't go, as IMO I don't see Saha as a 1st team player. And for god sake, Jayzus that fella' is injury prone. (I might have spelled something wrong so please pardon me)

Saviola anyone? He would be going from Barca on a free if he doesnt accept his new contract offer which apparently would see him get a wage cut and be used as a back up.

Id take him. He has been treated badly by Barca but when he has come on he has scored some crucial goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He is too small physically and couldn't see him suiting Uniteds style...I could well be wrong though

cheesedude wrote:
    He is too small physically and couldn't see him suiting Uniteds style...I could well be wrong though
    i'd rather give Rossi a go before signing someone like him, to be honest.

I really hope Rossi is back and gets a decent run next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

FatherTed wrote:
    Evans at Sunderland has shown he has better at that than Brown/Vidic.

Maybe in the championship, but its a big step up. ill agree that he may be better than vidic and brown, but thats not saying much....i suppose since united cant seem to buy squad players for uninflated figures and seem to have to grow them, he should be given the chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Vidic is a monster player, I absolutely think he is top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

cheesedude wrote:
    Vidic is a monster player, I absolutely think he is top class.
    Gotta love them three in the morning drunken posts.

But yes, I agree, Vidic is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Thought the title of this was hilarious, unfortunately He's talking about the whole team, not just himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

fortuneg wrote:
    Thought the title of this was hilarious, unfortunately He's talking about the whole team, not just himself.
    Yeah I had a wee laugh when I saw that aswell. Abit worrying that he thinks he is going to be around next season though, he is a 100% not good enough for United!

No Saha in the squad again today! I think his United days are numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

god that was crap ball you wanker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

That was disgraceful by Ball :mad:

pleassssse
    1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Roll on tomorrow. I don't think I ever thought I'd be shouting for the gunners :P

daveg wrote:
    Roll on tomorrow. I don't think I ever thought I'd be shouting for the gunners :P
    me either..... but sometimes..... you have to take a deep breath , hope no one sees you, and just do it..............

GO ON THE GUNNERS:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No Saha in the squad again today! I think his United days are numbered.

I agree, In his post match interview Fergie said he was due to go to Spain Tomorrow when asked if he would watch the Chelse/Arsenal game . I wonder who he has in his sights?

Good result today but Unite d looked jaded Rooney and Giggs in particular looked very flat. I though the ref was very poor. Citys peno was very dubious and he let a lot of fouls go. Balls assault on Ronaldo was disgraceful, I hope the FA throw the book at him.

Very nearly there now for United , I think Arsenal will get something from Chelsea , If not it would be very nice to win it at Stamford bridge midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Pique according to the independent today and Ferguson said he mightn't be gone to a problem with flight times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looks like sahas days are numbered, wonder wtf is he playing at, he had everything going from him this year and he has thrown it away, this is the 3rd or 4th time that fergie has said that he would be fit and he has not made the bench fergie must be fuming. apparantly fergie thinks the injuries are all in sahas imaginiation. wonder wat he did this time to injure himself?the 6million offer from lille may not be a bad deal. so if he does be sold, looks like we will need 2 strikers, defoe looks like one option, maybe even Lita/Bent, with the usual links to the likes of Torres and Huntelaar being the main signings.

anyway, great result today, worked hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

The Muppet wrote:
    Good result today but Unite d looked jaded Rooney and Giggs in particular looked very flat.

I thought this too but I also wonder if United just kept to first gear today? We will not beat Chelsea in the final playing like we did today. On another note great to see Ferdinand and Vidic playing together again.

United never even went into 5th gear today, they just scored a goal from one moment of Ronaldo turning it on, and for the rest of the game, passed the ball around the back four.
    It was boring as hell to watch, still more intersting than Liverpool or Chelsea though :)

I think giggs has been playing quite poorly for the last month or so now, its a pity Park got injured because Giggs seems to play his best football when he has alittle competition for his position.
    Thought Vidic and Ferdinand were brilliant today. I really hope Ball is punished for his stamp, was surprised Pearce wasnt asked for his opinion on it after the game.

I agree entirely about Giggs. he drives me up the wall nowadays. he doesnt try go past people. his passes are well off. his corners are poor when most of Uniteds goals scored from corners have been when carrick takes them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I really do think Giggs is past it at this stage. Accommodating him generally means pushing Rooney left which is probably the reason for his poorish form this season. Plus the fact that he's never willing to try beat players means that Ronaldo is the only real threat running with the ball and good teams can double- and triple-up on him at times. He's still worth a place in the squad, but he has tired quickly this season and I feel we need to buy a promising young winger over the summer to slowly replace him. It's a shame because he's been one of our great players - better than Ronaldo in his prime - but I think he's seen his last full season in the first choice eleven.

It's for the best, too. Neville, Scholes and him will all need to be replaced over the coming few seasons. The former two have a good season or two left in them I reckon, and we don't want to be faced with having to replace all three in one go. Get Giggs sorted next season and then worry about the other two (Neville shouldn't be too hard - Scholes is the real problem) and dilute the problem that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

cant believe the last few posts about giggs being passed it, ffs the lad has had one of his best seasons ever. people saying he cant pass, when he has had some crazy assists this season. when giggs leaves united, it will be a massive void to fill. as big as scholes retiring in fact. giggs has played alot of football this season, he is 33, but still is producing big performaces. id have him in the team any day and i hope he plays as many games again next season. he is vital to uniteds free flowing style of attack.

He has had a good seaon IMO but he has looked tired in the last 2 games TBH. I agree he will be difficult to replace.

Ronaldo who BTW became the highest scoring midfileder in premiership history today with 17 goals would be a natural replacment but the we would need to find a new right winger.

cant believe the last few posts about giggs being passed it, ffs the lad has had one of his best seasons ever. people saying he cant pass, when he has had some crazy assists this season. when giggs leaves united, it will be a massive void to fill. as big as scholes retiring in fact. giggs has played alot of football this season, he is 33, but still is producing big performaces. id have him in the team any day and i hope he plays as many games again next season. he is vital to uniteds free flowing style of attack.
    I certaintly dont think Giggs is past it and I do agree he has been fantastic for a large majority of the season but there is no doubt that for the last month or so his form has dipped and that in my opinion is because he is having to play every game due to Parks injury, but theres is no doubt he will play a huge part in next seasons plans, just hopefully he will have abit of competiton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

He was great at the start of the season, but hasn't been so since Christmas and has been awful for the past month. Although he did get a player of the month award recently enough, which I found utterly bizarre, so maybe I'm missing something. In any case he has tired badly as the season has gone on (which is fair enough) and, based on recent form, is not up to the standard needed. He was the only player getting space in Milan, and he did nothing with it. Like I said, he's still worth a place in the squad - recent form isn't everything - and if used sparingly could be great all season. But now is the time to start blooding a new winger. I know Park's been injured, but we can't be relying on Giggs to last another full season in the first team IMO.

He's wrecked. He's 33, and we can't rely on him for a full season. But because of injuries, we've had to. If Park had stayed fit, I think Giggs would be much better by now. He can't play consistantly anymore unfortuantely.
    He isn't past it though, this season he has shown that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Top of the Champions League assists list isn't bad at 33, although a few of them were in the Roma game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

LONDON, May 5 (Reuters) - Manchester United and Everton could face a Premier League inquiry - with the possibility of a points deduction - into their deal for goalkeeper Tim Howard not to play in last week's league game between the two teams.

The American international moved to Everton on a season-long loan from United in July but the deal became permanent in February. Everton manager David Moyes said that United wanted the initial loan clause that he did not play against United kept in place for last Saturday's game at Goodison Park.

Everton were leading that match 2-0 after an hour until a blunder by stand-in keeper Iain Turner sparked a comeback as United won 4-2 to open a five-point lead over Chelsea.

That was extended to eight points with a 1-0 win over Manchester City on Saturday and the title will be secured on Sunday if Chelsea fail to win at Arsenal.

However, Sunday's News of the World quoted a Premier League spokesman as saying league officials would be contacting United and Everton "as a matter of urgency" over the Howard deal.

While "exclusion clauses" are common in loan deals they are against Premier League rules for permanent transfers.

"Had such a clause been included in the transfer we would not have allowed it - it would have been a clear case of third party interference," the newspaper quoted the spokesman as saying.

The development comes as the case of third party interference at West Ham United threatens to have a major impact in the relegation issue.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/footballNews/idUKL052861420070505?rpc=401&

kinaldo wrote:

Nothing to get excited about, Its just the usual mis information. Technically Howard is still only on loan to Everton. All he has signed is a pre contract agreement , he will sign for Everton at the end of the season. The clause is in his loan contract which is common practice (foster had the same) so there is noting illegal in it and nothing for united fans to worry about.

Paolo Bandini
    Wednesday February 14, 2007
    Guardian Unlimited

Everton have made Tim Howard a permanent signing after agreeing an undisclosed fee with Manchester United.
    Howard has been a big hit at Everton since joining on loan last summer, quickly establishing himself as first-choice goalkeeper and keeping 11 clean sheets in his 27 appearances so far. He has now agreed terms on a five-year deal which will begin when his loan deal expires at the end of the season.

Yeh, afaik, a pre-contract agreement was signed, so that he hasn't technically moved yet, he will move at the end of the summer.

I'm pretty sure the documentation will confirm this.

Who's gona be watching the Chelsea Arsenal game today with a United jersey on :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement