Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I really hope Arsenal get a result today. If Chelsea win, I can see them beating us and setting up a must-at-least-draw game with West Ham - my heart can't take that. C'mon Arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think we'll take Chelsea personally.

Cole has always had trouble dealing with Ronaldo, and he just fouls him to stop him. If we get a decent ref, who will book him pretty quickly, I think it'll allow him to dominate the game :) I think it would really sum up his season if he puts in a MOM performance for this.

United have an extra days rest, and put pretty much no effort into the City win, so I think we'll be fresher.
    I think we'll see Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney all at their best.

===

If Saha is gone, I think we really need to bring in a striker to replace him. Smith has shown in the recent month or two, besides the Roma game, he just isn't good enough unfortunately. Ole is old, and can only play a small part of the season.
    We need Rossi back, to replace Smith.
    We need a new striker, to replace Saha.

New Striker, Rooney, Rossi, Ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I wonder if Fergie might possibly field a weakened side against Chelsea, just to annoy them..."we're not taking you seriously" or something...hope they give them the guard of honour! (that's if they draw today)

PHB wrote:
    If Saha is gone, I think we really need to bring in a striker to replace him. Smith has shown in the recent month or two, besides the Roma game, he just isn't good enough unfortunately. Ole is old, and can only play a small part of the season.
    We need Rossi back, to replace Smith.
    We need a new striker, to replace Saha.

New Striker, Rooney, Rossi, Ole.

I don't think we should necessarily get rid of Smith - why would there be a need? He's a handy player to have in the squad, as he showed against Roma, and I think he could well be an effective squad player if he can keep himself fit. Plus he's a fans' favourite and his effort, deterination and desire are marks of a true Utd player. The way I see it, the more strikers the better!

I have a sneaky feeling that Man U might snatch Tevez...could be a good signing...depends on what's needed really - do we need an out-an-out RVN striker who can grab all the goals or a more flexible creator-scorer striker in the mould of a Rooney or Ronaldo?

I really hope, like really really really hope, that if Chelsea drop points to Arsenal today, that Eagles, Dong, Lee all walk out at Stamford bridge :)

I like Smith, but he just isn't good enough. His hold up play just isn't up to scratch, and while he can do the things he did vs. Roma, I'd rather have a decent striker than that.
    Tevez is an interesting player, but I'm not exactly sure he is what we are looking for.
    If Saha goes, we need to replace the out and out striker.
    We have two withdrawn strikers in the squad, of Rooney and Rossi. I'm not sure if we could use another. That said, I would like to see Tevez at United :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

No Drogba today! :D

PHB wrote:
    I really hope, like really really really hope, that if Chelsea drop points to Arsenal today, that Eagles, Dong, Lee all walk out at Stamford bridge :)

I like Smith, but he just isn't good enough. His hold up play just isn't up to scratch, and while he can do the things he did vs. Roma, I'd rather have a decent striker than that.
    Tevez is an interesting player, but I'm not exactly sure he is what we are looking for.
    If Saha goes, we need to replace the out and out striker.
    We have two withdrawn strikers in the squad, of Rooney and Rossi. I'm not sure if we could use another. That said, I would like to see Tevez at United :)

Yeah Dong et al walking out would be something special alright!

I think Smith should at least be given another season PHB, after all he has had a horrid injury an who knows, we could see the same player that everyone was raving about when he first burst onto the scene all those years ago...he's certainly shown flashes of his old self, I think his charcter and sprirt would justifiy a squad place at least.

I'd agree if Saha goes we need to replace him with a player of a similar ilk ie an out-and-out striker, but I wouldn't like to see the cash splashed on such a player, rather 8-10m, a plaer that won't need to be the first name onthe teamsheet yet has enough ability to get 20goals a season, whether that type of player exists is another question!

If we were to splash the cash on a striker I'd like to see an adaptable striker, who can score, create etc. Maybe Eto'o is that player but ultimately I think he's too much of a prima donna mercenary, could be another Veron - some great performances but on the whole disappointing but then again Fergie's recent record in the market has been great so regardless of who he signs you'd have to be confident that they're the right players for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

wh00p (gilberto peno)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

1-0 to the gunners , chelsea down to ten, get in ere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

PHB wrote:
    I don't know, I think the players who have done it over the season deserve to get the guard of honour. Can you imagine Dong and co. walking out through the Chelsea players being applauded?? Anyway that talk is slightly premature, Arsenal are on the rocks slightly, ten minutes left :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Well done on the title lads.

Champions!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't know, I think the players who have done it over the season deserve to get the guard of honour. Can you imagine Dong and co. walking out through the Chelsea players being applauded?? Anyway that talk is slightly premature, Arsenal are on the rocks slightly, ten minutes left :(

Yeah but he'll hardly risk players that are just back from injury and not 100% fit when the FA cup final is coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

well deserved. Excellent season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

congrats to all united fans ere on boards! its been worth the wait, sweet sweet victory.

• Advertisement

key player

1 - ronaldo
    2 - scholes
    3 - vidic

key games

1 - everton away 4-2
    2 - liverpool away 1-0
    3 - fulham 2-1

most important goal

1 - john o shea v everton
    2 - john o shea v liverpool
    3 - christiano ronaldo v fulham

best goal

1 - scholes v villa
    2 - rooney v bolton
    3 - ronaldo v fulham

best team performance

1 - spurs away 4-0
    2 - bolton away 4-0
    3 - bolton home 4-1

Best individual performance

ronaldo v villa away

single most defining moment

beating everton last saturday

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Championeeeeeeee! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Champions, woohoo :D

And just to make it even better

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/6629661.stm. Premier League says there was nothing to stop Howard playing against us, so there's nothing to investigate.

Woohoo again. :D

It's been a rollercoaster ride of a season, and I wouldn't have believed then that we'd be champions. Still at least we played some nice football on the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

We've got our trophy back....we've got our trophy back.....

delighted with the season, now lets go after the double

hope we can go for an assault on the champs league next year!

UTD....UTD.....UTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Absoluty delighted, fantastic season. Thoughts now turn to the FA Cup final, I think its going to be a cracker. Chelsea are going to be well up for it after losing the title and Man U will really want to win it after being robbed by Arsenal a couple of seasons ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

key player

1 - ronaldo
    2 - scholes
    3 - vidic

key games

1 - everton away 4-2
    2 - liverpool away 1-0
    3 - fulham 2-1

most important goal

1 - john o shea v everton
    2 - john o shea v liverpool
    3 - christiano ronaldo v fulham

best goal

1 - scholes v villa
    2 - rooney v bolton
    3 - ronaldo v fulham

best team performance

1 - spurs away 4-0
    2 - bolton away 4-0
    3 - bolton home 4-1

Best individual performance

ronaldo v villa away

single most defining moment

beating everton last saturday

nice not much to disagree with there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

What a great day! I have a very short list of better United memories than clinching this title! Hopefully we can win on Wednesday night to compound the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

"We got our Trophy back,
    We got our Trophy back,
    We got our Trophy back" :D:D:D

MANCHESTER UNITED FC - 2006/7 BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!

fergie said this morning that he wants to add at least 3 players to the squad, and that the board already have been told about this. he said that 2 of them are long term targets (bale & hargreaves) personally, i would not like to see bale in, though he is young. he also said that sending 14 players out on loan was a mistake. here is my united initial squad for next season.

gk - van der sar, foster,
    Back up - John O Shea, Heaton.Departures = Tommy Kuz out on loan

RB - Neville, Pique
    LB - Evra, Heinze
    CB - Rio, Evans
    CB - Vidic, Browne

Back up - John O Shea, departures = Silvestre, Bardsley

RM - Ronaldo,Park
    LM - Giggs, another
    CM - Scholes, another
    CM - Carrick, Fletcher

Back up - John O Shea,Eagles, Departures = richardson
    Transfers in - at least 2 players, with Nani and hargreaves being the 2 that i would like to see (di rossi also)

Strikers -

Rooney, Saha, another, Rossi, Ole (one last season)

Back up - John O Shea, Departures = Smith
    Transfers in - i think there will be at least 1 striker brought in, possibly 2 if saha is sold

Look at where Man U are weak: the left side of midfield, with Giggs getting old I can see Fergie bringing in a left-sided winger for the future. I think Scholes will eventually be replaced by a deep-sitting two of Hargreaves and Carrick...maybe Rooney dropping into the playmaker role with a new striker up front. Maybe Bale might sign, if Heinze goes (for 6/7m) I could see that happening.

So Hargreaves, a left winger, a striker definitely and depending on funds from the departures maybe another left-back or striker (if Saha or Smith leave)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

personally, i would love to see Hargreaves, Nani and Berbatov brought in, but i think Berbatov is very unlikely, don't know who else i would go for. A striker we bring in needs to be very good at holding the ball and passing it off, and a good finisher too.

Why would you get rid of smith instead of saha? Since he came back from injury he has been solid up front and he's great at getting the team going and battling right to the end. Saha on the other hand is made of glass and only has one decent game in every 8 or so played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

We need an out and out striker that will stay in the opposition half most of the time and can score at least 20-25 goals a season. We have rooney to be either the second attacker or a midfield play-maker. Its hard to know what players would suit those positions and what sort of budget Alex has to spend but if they got around 30 million id say half of that will be going on hargreaves and the other bit to get the other 2 players he wants.
    I would like to see Torres but with that budget it would not happen.

Tauren wrote:
    personally, i would love to see Hargreaves, Nani and Berbatov brought in, but i think Berbatov is very unlikely, don't know who else i would go for. A striker we bring in needs to be very good at holding the ball and passing it off, and a good finisher too.

Yeah Hargreaves and Nani would be sweet, doubtful, as you said, over Berbatov - but you never know...
    Why would you get rid of smith instead of saha? Since he came back from injury he has been solid up front and he's great at getting the team going and battling right to the end. Saha on the other hand is made of glass and only has one decent game in every 8 or so played.

I'd hate to see Smith go, personally I feel Fergie will give him another season...it seems more likely that Saha will go, in that case he'd have to be replaced...Fergie seems to be scultping his team towards a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3...basically all I want from the transfers in the summer is to increase the quality of the squad depth so that when it comes to matches like Milan in the CL Fergie's big players, especially the more elderly crew - Scholes, Giggs - will be fresh and fit. Thus some youthful excellen replacements/ cover need to be brought in imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i think fergie will bring back some of the loan players who he rates/can make the grade(foster,pique,rossi,evans) maybe sell 3/4 players ie richardson saha silvestre and bring in 3 players who will be pushing 4 starts straight away - hargreves,nani and a striker.depending on how much he has to spend maybe bale aswel.maybe get 12m - 15 m for selling 3 players and hope the board give him about 30m.hargreves - 17m,nani - 10m, leaving possibly 20m - 25m to spend.probably a little optimistic.what striker wud people like to see arrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I'd hate to see Smith go, personally I feel Fergie will give him another season...it seems more likely that Saha will go, in that case he'd have to be replaced...Fergie seems to be scultping his team towards a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3...basically all I want from the transfers in the summer is to increase the quality of the squad depth so that when it comes to matches like Milan in the CL Fergie's big players, especially the more elderly crew - Scholes, Giggs - will be fresh and fit. Thus some youthful excellen replacements/ cover need to be brought in imo
    I agree with you there about the strong squad players but we dont need another Djemba-Djemba or Kleberson. They need to be of a high enough quality to play with the team. Im hoping with the premiership win and the fairly good run in Europe will attract some good signings.

There are various rumours running around, but it seems like Fergie is going to be recalling all of the youth talent across the globe.

Foster, Evans, Pique, Bardsley, Rossi are all set to return.

This info has mostly come from the clubs themselves, trying to get the players for another season, but not getting them.

If 3 players are coming in, that means we are selling.
    Furthermore, if Evans and Pique and Bardsley are being recalled, it means we're selling defenders.

GK: VDS, then Foster, then the Pole
    Nothing interesting there

Defence:
    If Evans and Pique are being recalled, it means we are selling what we currently have there.
    O'Shea will be kept, as he's a utility player, and has proved his worth to United.
    Slyvestre has been told he will be staying.

That means the people who are leaving to make space for Pique and Evans must be Brown and Heinze.
    Brown because he wants regular football ala Neville.
    Heinze because he wants regular football, also because he has the choice due to the contract dealio.
    I can't see us buying any defenders this summer.

This will leave us with:

RB: Neville, Bardsley, O'Shea
    CB: Rio, Vidic, Pique, Evans, Slyvestre, O'Shea
    LB: Evra, Evans, Slyvestre, O'Shea

Central midfield:
    We are quite clearly trying to bring in Hargreaves, and it seems to be done and dusted.
    Next season:
    Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Fletcher
    This is one of the players we are buying.

Wingers:
    If it's not in GK, or defence, the 2nd player to be bought must be here (that said, maybe he's buying two strikers)
    I think it might be Nani, although I've really no idea.

Park is a good player I think (he has 5 goals in 8
    premiership games this season btw) so I think he'll be kept

Richardson seems to be sticking around, which is suprising. But he said Fergie told him he was part of his plans.
    Either way, next season

Ronaldo, Giggs, Park, Richardson, New Guy

Strikers:
    I think this area will see the most change over the summer.

Rossi is going to be brought back, after an incredible 8 goals and 3 assists in 18 games for struggling Parma.

If we are to bring in another player here, and I think we will, I think Saha is gona have to be sold. I'd guess at about 10 million, and maybe towards Lyon or someone like Spurs/Newcastle/Everton or something. Personally, if he wasn't a sicknote, I'd like him to stay. I also think he would be the ideal forward for Arsenal, but that's a whole other thing.

So Saha out, new player in. I think Fergie is after Eto.

That leaves us with:

Strikers : New Player(Eto), Rooney, Rossi, Smith, Ole

In terms of spend, that would be:

In:
    Hargreaves - 18 million
    Winger - 12 million [youth prospect I think more than finished product]
    Striker (Eto) - 25-30 million [Finished product]

Out:
    Brown - 3-5 million
    Heinze - 6-8 million
    Saha - 8-12 million

Putting at a net spend of about 34 million. Considering we were planning to buy Hargreaves at the end of last season, I think that money is there.

That would leave us with a squad of

GK: Vds, Foster, The Pole
    RB: Neville, Bardsley, Pique, O'Shea
    CB: Rio, Vidic, Pique, Evans, Slyvestre
    LB: Evra, Slyvestre, Evans, O'Shea
    Wingers: Ronaldo, Giggs, Park, New Guy(Nani)
    Strikers: New Guy(Eto), Rooney, Rossi, Smith, Ole

With that squad, I'd be confident we'd defo be challenging strongly on all four fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

PHB wrote:

If we are to bring in another player here, and I think we will, I think Saha is gona have to be sold. I'd guess at about 10 million, and maybe towards Lyon or someone like Spurs/Newcastle/Everton or something. Personally, if he wasn't a sicknote, I'd like him to stay. I also think he would be the ideal forward for Arsenal, but that's a whole other thing.

So Saha out, new player in. I think Fergie is after Eto..

it has been rumoured that milan are after eto'o and barca want to keep ronaldinho so a deal could be done whereby they drop their interest in ronaldinho and barca will sell eto'o to them in return

Milan are there too, also, if Barca want Henry, they might have to swap.

With the signing of Ronaldo, I'm not as sure that Milan are as after a striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Fergie has stated that Evans, Cathcart and Gibson (the 3 irish he calls them) will get there chance next season. Foster, Pique, Bardsley, Rossi and possibly Simpson to return also.

I think the 3 Fergie is after is Bale, Hargreaves and a centre forward (no clue as to who that may be)

We wont get 12m for Saha!

Fergie has stated that Evans, Cathcart and Gibson (the 3 irish he calls them) will get there chance next season.

Link?

Why would we sign Bale? I don't really understand this interest in Bale. We have Evra, and Bale isn't better than him.

In terms of Saha, he has 8 goals in 18 premiership games, also 4 goals in 5 CL games. You can say what you want about his injury status, but his class is undoubted. I think we can get 12 million for him, especially from say Lyon.

PHB wrote:
    Link?

Why would we sign Bale? I don't really understand this interest in Bale. We have Evra, and Bale isn't better than him.

In terms of Saha, he has 8 goals in 18 premiership games, also 4 goals in 5 CL games. You can say what you want about his injury status, but his class is undoubted. I think we can get 12 million for him, especially from say Lyon.
    Evans has also done very very well at left back for the North, so he can fill in there if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Eto at United would be a dream come true for me...what a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

is there still talk of huntelaar or quaresma coming to utd?

• Advertisement

haven't heard about Huntelaar in a while, but never heard anything i would put any sort of trust in regarding quaresma - certainly wouldn't say no to me, he has fantastic ability, and is probably a good mate of Ronnies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dcarroll wrote:
    is there still talk of huntelaar or quaresma coming to utd?

i really like quaresma

good player from what iv seen of him

I wonder who we will play on wednesday? I'd imagine a second string team of some sorts with a few younger players thrown in for the experience. Save the top players for the FA cup I suppose. It would be great to go to stamford bridge and beat them after winning the league though. Pity its unlikely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Anybody have any insight into Thierry Henry's plans for the future??

It could be incredibly naive of me, but he seems like a player angling for a move...most likely to Spain, but is there any chance he would come to United???

I think he is the type of player who would make a REAL difference to United.

Oo-er Henry to United! Let the games begin...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I thought Dein wanted the American to invest in club, i'd say if Arsenal's owners give in and sell it to them, then Dein will come back.

edit: besty's post about dein disappeared so looks im replying to nobody :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I know a lot of people go on about Berbatov too but I really wouldnt want him. he is great, no doubt, but he is unbeliveably lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Anybody have any insight into Thierry Henry's plans for the future??

It could be incredibly naive of me, but he seems like a player angling for a move...most likely to Spain, but is there any chance he would come to United???

I think he is the type of player who would make a REAL difference to United.

Fergie is building for the future. Henry would be a dead money buy and he would never move to United anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

UNITED MARCHING ON HOW SELLING RUUD INSPIRED SIR ALEX TO HIS GREATEST TRIUMPH .. and now the master must rebuild again to ensure his United dynasty stays on top
    David Mcdonnell 08/05/2007

OF ALL the decisions Sir Alex Ferguson has made as Manchester United boss, selling Ruud van Nistelrooy was the one that ultimately brought the Premiership title back to Old Trafford after an agonising four-year wait.

Flogging off the club's most prolific scorer to Real Madrid last summer may have seemed an unwise move, but Fergie's judgment in offloading van Nistelrooy has been fully vindicated thanks to the completion of his ninth Premiership success.

And now the challenge for Fergie, having steered United back to the summit of the domestic game, is sustaining their position - and ensuring there is no repeat of the four-year hiatus they had to endure since their last Premiership success.
    Advertisement
    Click here to find out more!

Owen Hargreaves' arrival at Old Trafford is imminent, while Fergie must buy at least one striker to support Rooney.

Expect Louis Saha to be sold, possibly in a player-plus-cash deal for Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov.

Hargreaves will fill the midfield enforcer role still left vacant following the departure of Roy Keane, while Southampton's 18-year-old Gareth Bale is expected to arrive this summer for £7m as United's long-term left-back.

Those expected to be heading out of Old Trafford - along with Saha - include Kieran Richardson, Mikael Silvestre and Gabriel Heinze.

England goalkeeper Ben Foster will return from his loan spell at Watford to challenge Tomasz Kusczak for the right to succeed Edwin van der Sar as United's first-choice between the posts.

But as Fergie basked in the afterglow of his latest title triumph, it was possible to identify the catalyst for it as last summer's sale of van Nistelrooy following five prolific seasons at the club.

Despite van Nistelrooy's fine scoring record, Fergie realised his side needed to change the way they played in order to become champions once again.

Starved of pace with the lumbering presence of van Nistelrooy in attack, a change of dynamics was required.

The Holland striker was also considered a negative influence in the dressing-room, his frequent clashes with Cristiano Ronaldo behind the scenes and on the training field undermining the young Portugal winger's confidence and development as a player.

But with the sale of van Nistelrooy came the return of United's trademark cavalier play, at breathtaking speed, along with the emergence of Ronaldo as the best player in the world and the full liberation of Wayne Rooney's precocious attacking talent.

And Fergie's belief that the new-found harmony within his squad was key to their title success contained a loaded reference to the Dutchman's acrimonious exit.

"We've a good bunch of lads here now, good harmony in the dressing room," said Fergie yesterday. "I've been saying that all season and it's true.

We've got a more harmonious bunch here now. There were no worries about that at all. We went on to the football field with a bunch of honest players, and when you can do that it will always give you a chance if it's backed up by ability."

This season's champions represent Fergie's fourth great United side.

And the 65-year-old Scot, who celebrated 20 years in charge at Old Trafford last November, revealed his pride in the manner of his team's latest success. "There were times when we overstretched ourselves attacking-wise and times when we needed more control and discipline in our attacking," he said. "But when we're in full flow we're a potent sight and the goal threat was always there."

United's transformation this season was nothing short of remarkable and owes much to the sustained brilliance of Rooney and Ronaldo, among other key factors.

The return of Paul Scholes after missing five months of last season with a serious eye problem was crucial, as was the acquisition of Michael Carrick, who has ultimately justified his £18.6m transfer fee.

The emergence of Nemanja Vidic as a regular defensive partner for Rio Ferdinand gave United solidity at the back, while the supporting cast of John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher and Wes Brown all played their part in recent weeks when injuries took their toll.

While Fergie admitted to feeling "invigorated" by the brilliance of his dynamic duo of Ronaldo and Rooney this season, the United boss did admit that losing the title for a third successive season left him deflated and tired. Watching Chelsea emulate United as the only team to successfully defend the Premiership title then hurt Fergie so much he could not wait to embark on his summer holiday.

But it also served to heighten his desire and appetite to win back the trophy. "Age creeps up on you quickly," he said. "I still think I'm 58! But all of a sudden you see in the papers that you're 65 and I think to myself 'I can't be that old'.

"You wonder where the years have gone. You wonder how you compare with five or six years ago. I don't notice any dramatic changes in me, although there must be changes. Last season I was tired in the sense that I wanted to go on holiday.

"There were moments last season when we went on a great run and I thought we might catch Chelsea, then we drew 0-0 with Sunderland. That's when I needed a holiday."

Despite his relief and delight at ending Chelsea's new-found domination of the Premiership, this is no time for Fergie to be looking to his holidays.

There is the little matter of an FA Cup Final showdown with Jose Mourinho's side just 11 days away and with it, of course, the prospect of a fourth domestic Double.
    Interesting article IMO and pretty much spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

In todays papers we are linked with:

Nani (Cant pretend to know much about this lad :confused: ) Comments anybody?

Bale (Bollix) Havent been impressed with the 4 or 5 games I have seen this lad play in, Soton must be muck if this lad is by far their best player. In saying that hes young, has to get better.

Berbatov : CLASS player but cant see him being sold so this one is going to drag on !

Hargreaves: Just a case of when really.Although that ever reliable publication "the sun" reckons we have ditched chasing him as Bayern are taking the pis* on the asking price.

Steve Sidwell : Eh...WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I saw one of the English broadsheets reporting Mouriho going in for Sidwell this summer. He's out of contract. Not a bad player but I don't really know how much he would add to United or Chelsea. He would have a similar fate to Scott Parker there if you ask me.

Also, I can't see how Bayern are going to be in a position to hold us to ransom over the Hargreaves deal. They're not even qualifying for the Champions League next year AFAIK so they could probably do with the cash boost of around 18m to revitalise the rest of the team, plus it's common knowledge he wants to go to United

• Advertisement
Advertisement