Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I'm willing to bet that's bullsh1t. As Raskolnikov said, there are so many options for Chelsea centrally, it would make zero sense to sign someone like Hargreaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

The only reason would be that it stops United getting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

BFassassin wrote:
    The only reason would be that it stops United getting him.
    The money tap has been turned off. Abramovich has blocked Mourinho from making any badly needed transfers during the January window, let alone to sign players to prevent them from going to another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Well we can all say thanks to Chelski as to why clubs have to spend massive amounts of money for players that are probably only worth half the reported price tags........

For example i think Hargreaves is a good player but not worth the reported amount........maybe 8 or 9 million tops..the transfer market has gone mental since Chelski can throw 20 million here or 20 million there......:eek:

I think Abramovich is starting to realise this and this is prob why they will not go for Hargreaves......or anyone else at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No, the prices were at their peak when Utd bought Ferdinand for £30m, and went into heavy decline again. Chelsea have since increased the market prices, but even at that, there largest purchase cost the same as Ferdinand did 4.5 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed, the market had reached crazy propotions around the time of the Ferdinand sale, but then there was a strong deflation. I think the increase in prices we see is actually only for the premiership, I think a lot of deals are still done for reasonable money outside of the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

evans is supposed to have started brilliantly @ sunderland and has their fans raving about him already.

meanwhile, todays latest RUMOUR!! -

From the Sunday Mirror

MANCHESTER United have won the battle to sign Southampton's highly rated teenage star Gareth Bale.

The 17-year-old full-back (right) will not be leaving the Championship side in this transfer window, after United agreed to pay £8m in the summer and loan him back to the club next season.

Saints were forced to do business after Bale refused to sign a new contract at the club.

I don't really understand the logic of the Bale signature considering the signing of Evra and his age, but Bale seems like a good prospect so I guess :P

Still need a midfielder brought in. Yes Carrick and Scholes were great yesterday in the first half, but in the 2nd half, when theiy were being pressured more, they weren't as effective. We need somebody, who isn't cup tied if possible, to sure up that midfield from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Come to think of it, is Hargreaves cup-tied for the Champions' League?

And also, the above article seems to say that Bale is a right-back. I had always thought he was a left-back, but if the former is true, excellent. Sign him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

there was a picture of Bale to the right of the story. He is definately a left back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

We definately don't need a left-back with Heinze, Evra and even Silvest' in the picture. There is speculations floating about that Heinze might go but I can't see Fergie letting that happen. There was some interest in him by Real Madrid & Bayern Munich last summer but Heinze himself put them down fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Tauren wrote:
    there was a picture of Bale to the right of the story. He is definately a left back

Lol, whoops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

Come to think of it, is Hargreaves cup-tied for the Champions' League?

Yes, from what I've read he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Good result yesterday, but if you were fussy it was disappointing not to see us chalk up another goal in the 2nd half or at least keep a clean sheet(especially for fantasy football reasons!).

Next weekend is going to be a big one, Arsenal are back in red hot form but if anything can be unpredictable at home, we also owe them one from earlier in the season where we just didnt perform :mad:

I reckon Liverpool will turn over Chelsea as well so its up to us to take advantage, as long as we dont leave the emirates empty handed I wont mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I smell a draw at the emirates but i also smell a smellier draw at anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Torres is 23. out of contract in the summer. id say he will be moving.

Larsson is 35. I highly doubt fergie is thinking of him as long term

Really yeah? :rolleyes:

I expect United to win.
    Gilberto missing is a major major coup. Without him, there is less defensive cover in midfield, and it will be a battle of passing between Scholes and Carrick vs. Fabregas and maybe Flamini/Hleb. This is the exact sort of battle that Scholes and Carrick can win, just like they won against Villa.

Ultimately, they are weak in the full back position, just as Arsenal always are. It used to be Cole and Lauren, now it's clichy and hoyte. Giggs and Ronaldo are going to destroy them.

Arsenal are a great team against poor defense, but against solid defenses, they aren't so good. United will get very stuck in physically also, which is something they don't like, and they don't know how to deal with a team that can get both stuck in physically and pass as well as they can. Expect Heinze to start.

We've been letting goals in once we're 2-0 3-0 up, but overall our defense is very good, and I expect Vidic to give Henry a very hard time, and Rio is the one defender in England who can match him for pace.
    Edit/Delete Message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    now it's clichy and hoyte. Giggs and Ronaldo are going to destroy them.
    Eh... wait and see about that! I think they'll do well to get a draw at the Emirates. Gilberto is a huge loss alright but you guys (Manc fans) tend to underestimate Arsenal these days. Remember their win at Old Trafford this season? I think everyone expected Man Utd to win yet Arsenal won and won well, and almost repeated the trick at Stamford Bridge, not to mention Anfield!

United lost against them earlier in the season because Fergie decided to swap to a crappy 4-5-1, a mistake he won't make again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'll take a draw this Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

We've been letting goals in once we're 2-0 3-0 up, but overall our defense is very good, and I expect Vidic to give Henry a very hard time, and Rio is the one defender in England who can match him for pace.

Actually, Silvestre would do a better job than Ferdinand in the pace department. Unfortunately, thats about it, because he'd give away a hat trick of penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

PHB wrote:
    United lost against them earlier in the season because Fergie decided to swap to a crappy 4-5-1, a mistake he won't make again.

I really hope you are right PHB
    Archimedes wrote:
    Actually, Silvestre would do a better job than Ferdinand in the pace department. Unfortunately, thats about it, because he'd give away a hat trick of penalties.

LOL so true........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

PHB wrote:
    I don't really understand the logic of the Bale signature considering the signing of Evra and his age, but Bale seems like a good prospect so I guess :P

Still need a midfielder brought in. Yes Carrick and Scholes were great yesterday in the first half, but in the 2nd half, when theiy were being pressured more, they weren't as effective. We need somebody, who isn't cup tied if possible, to sure up that midfield from time to time.

There's talk that SAF is looking at Bale at being a possible left-sided winger. He's not the quickest but has good feet and a great delivery (a left-footed Beckham anyone?).

On the Heinze front, it seems that last season's injury has not healed as much as United's medical team were hoping. His recovery from the damage done to his cartilage was not a complete success, and has impacted how high he can jump when competing for high balls. Haven't seen this with my own eyes but will be keeping looking closely at Gaby the next time he starts.

madds wrote:
    There's talk that SAF is looking at Bale at being a possible left-sided winger. He's not the quickest but has good feet and a great delivery (a left-footed Beckham anyone?).

On the Heinze front, it seems that last season's injury has not healed as much as United's medical team were hoping. His recovery from the damage done to his cartilage was not a complete success, and has impacted how high he can jump when competing for high balls. Haven't seen this with my own eyes but will be keeping looking closely at Gaby the next time he starts.

It's looking fairly likely that Bale won't be leaving during this transfer window, whatever about the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I thought I read that he would sign in the summer and would find his way back to Southampton for a loan deal. Don't know if that's exactly legal but I'll guess we'll find out. Don't think you'd mind if he stayed with your lot for another season Joe.

• Advertisement

I thought I read that he would sign in the summer and would find his way back to Southampton for a loan deal. Don't know if that's exactly legal but I'll guess we'll find out. Don't think you'd mind if he stayed with your lot for another season Joe.

Of course its legal, and yes that seems to be the way its going to happen if it does go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Bale: he may not be quick but does he go past players much, does anybody know?

I hope we get in one or two CMs this window. We really need CM cover. Any body with any talent will cost the earth the way the market is at the moment. We can afford it but it's silly paying big money for the likes of Hargreaves. He's good but not 20mil good.
    I reckon some young CMs, who are still developing, would be a good idea.
    I liked Appiah and Yaya Toure in the World Cup but haven't seen them in the club season so far. Anybody got an opinion on them?
    Also, Ribery can play centrally, he's got real tallent but he will cost a lot. And prob won't move in the Jan window.

Pro. F wrote:
    Bale: he may not be quick but does he go past players much, does anybody know?

I don't know where people are getting their information on Bale from. He is quick, not lightning fast but certainly no slouch for someone over 6ft tall. And yes, he gets by players, has plenty of tricks in his locker to do so as well.

Cant say I have seen this lad Bale but would it be worth ditching Heinze for him ?!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007020571,00.html

I hope hes not another Wayne Bridge :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭SteM

Sizzler wrote:
    I hope hes not another Wayne Bridge :eek:

Wayne Bridge only turned into 'a Wayne Bridge' because of the way he was treated at Chelsea. He's still a good defender.

Southampton seem sure that Bale won't go anywhere this transfer window so I can't see United getting rid of Heinze either.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote:
    Wayne Bridge only turned into 'a Wayne Bridge' because of the way he was treated at Chelsea. He's still a good defender.

And I bet Everton are thinking the same after signing James Beattie are they :p

Bridge and Beattie were good players in a shoite team. They were bound to stick out.

Bale would want to be OUTSTANDING for him to have a chance.

He looks funny as well, can we get a discount ;)

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/01/17/manual_085028.html

Sizzler wrote:
    Bridge and Beattie were good players in a shoite team. They were bound to stick out.

Whatever about Beattie, Bridge was and still is a world-class left-back.
    Bale would want to be OUTSTANDING for him to have a chance.

He looks funny as well, can we get a discount ;)

I'm starting to think Man Utd fans don't deserve him...

We've been linked with Klose a number of times over the past few months, but does anyone know what the gig is with his international strike partner, Podolski? While Klose could be described as being a bit of a sniffer, Podolski strikes me as being more in the mould of Saha.

Think he plays for FC Koln, who are not exactly world-beaters. This guy has always impressed me, and looked like the real deal in last Summer's WC, although he never seems to be mentioned as a possible transfer target for any of Europe's/UK's big clubs.

Anyone got an opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It's looking fairly likely that Bale won't be leaving during this transfer window, whatever about the summer.

From Sportinglife
    UNITED EXPECT BALE DEAL - REPORT

Southampton starlet Gareth Bale is "90% certain" to join Manchester United before the transfer window shuts, according to The Guardian.

United have emerged as the frontrunners in the race to sign the Wales left-back and the deal looks likely to go through this month despite Saints boss George Burley claiming Bale would be going nowhere at least until the summer.

The Premiership leaders are reportedly hoping to strike a deal for around £5.5million, but Saints are asking closer to £10million.

However United are apparently willing to allow Bale to spend the rest of the season on loan at St Mary's, which could bring the price down particularly as Bale would then be only 12 months away from the end of his contract.

But the 17-year-old's arrival at Old Trafford could spell the end of Gabriel Heinze's Red Devils career, with several national newspapers claiming Spurs are plotting a £5million bid for him once the Bale deal is struck.

After missing the start of the season through injury, the Argentine has slipped behind Patrice Evra in the pecking order and could look for a way out.

If he does so, Martin Jol will be keen to bring him on board and is happy to match the 28-year-old's Old Trafford pay packet.

Juventus are also confirmed admirers of the tough-tackling South American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Podolski plays for Bayern Munich, not Koln.

does he? sh*te. :o:o

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I don't know where people are getting their information on Bale from. He is quick, not lightning fast but certainly no slouch for someone over 6ft tall. And yes, he gets by players, has plenty of tricks in his locker to do so as well.
    I was going by what had been said on this thread.
    Sounds like he could have a future on the wing which would be handy.

I doubt we'll sell Heinze unless a proper big foreign club comes in and he wants to go. Once he gets back into his stride he'll be well worth having again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

According to Tuttosport (Turin based paper funnily enough) Man U have offered Christiano Ronaldo to Juventus in exchange for David Trezeguet and Raffaele Palladino.

Can't see there being much to this story to be honest, Palladino and Trez combined would be worth far more than Ronaldo.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Bridge was and still is a world-class left-back.

LOL! I dont think so :o World class left backs dont play in the reserves unless they have rogered the gaffers mrs. .....and I dont think Bridge did that ;) He's a solid left back at best.

Anyway back to Utd....Id be gutted to see Heinze go, hes been stop start this season but injury hasnt helped. Id like to think he can get back to where he was given the chance.

Seaneh wrote:
    According to Tuttosport (Turin based paper funnily enough) Man U have offered Christiano Ronaldo to Juventus in exchange for David Trezeguet and Raffaele Palladino.

Can't see there being much to this story to be honest, Palladino and Trez combined would be worth far more than Ronaldo.

Slow news day for Tuttosport obviously!

I dont think Utd have ever 'offered' players..

They must be talking about a different Ronaldo, as Im not sure who 'Christiano Ronaldo" is !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Trezeguet? Hes rubbish...would play Rooney,Saha, Larsson or Ole ahead of him.

he's clearly a typo, smug git.

That story from Tuttosport sounds totally made up. There's no way United would be offering Ronaldo to anyone. I doubt they'd even considering selling him unless the likes of Real came in offering silly money.

bucks73 wrote:
    Trezeguet? Hes rubbish...would play Rooney,Saha, Larsson or Ole ahead of him.

320 games played and 184 goals scored is hardly rubbish, it's more than a goal every two games.

He is also the highest scoring foreigner in Juventus history.

aidan24326 wrote:
    That story from Tuttosport sounds totally made up. There's no way United would be offering Ronaldo to anyone. I doubt they'd even considering selling him unless the likes of Real came in offering silly money.

Haha, I was hinting that I thought the same by what I put in brackets when I first posted it.

Trezeguet would be good to have but he's too old to be worth bringing in, other than on the cheap.
    And Tuttosport are talking sh!te any way.

Seaneh wrote:
    320 games played and 184 goals scored is hardly rubbish, it's more than a goal every two games.

He is also the highest scoring foreigner in Juventus history.

Couldn't see Ferguson being interested in Trezeguet at this stage, unless he was available for a very reasonable price. I think Klose would be the man, his style would suit the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I never rated him anyway. Always thought his finishing wasnt the best. Purely relied on his pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

bucks73 wrote:
    I never rated him anyway. Always thought his finishing wasnt the best. Purely relied on his pace.

if he can still score goals though, whats the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i hope its not true about Gabriel Heinze

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6269789.stm

brilliant player

Advertisement