Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

1242526272830»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So about £17m with the possiblity of rising to £21m. They are the same figures which were spoken about during the January transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

"You have to always look to improve and invest, and that's what we're going to do. We've got a great team who have done very well and we'll be looking to tweak it here and there.

"Manchester United has been - and always will be - a club that buys players as well as giving youth its chance. And that's what we'll see next year and for many years to come."

Fergie on transfers

I really hope the Hargreaves deal is tied up soon, I really don't want it to drag on. United seem unable to negotiate more than one big transfer at a time, so if we get Hargreaves in quick, then we can focus on our other targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Apparently Miraslav Klose is up for sale..its likely that Bayen will get him but he would be a great partner for Rooney

Also i think Rossi is a definite prospect for next season, according to his quotes he wants to play first team football though.

According to his quotes, he wants to play first team football at United.

I know this is silly maths, but,
    in 17 games he got 9 goals, if he played a whole season, if he had been there from the start of the season, he'd have gotten 34 games and 18 goals.
    If this kid was not owned by Man Utd, the entire world would be raving after him.
    This is in a struggling team, I think in a winning team he could get 20 goals a season.

I honestly believe if Fergie doesn't bring him back into the squad next season, he's gone crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Any decent striker can excel at a club where chances are going to be created. He's scoring for a team mired in relegation trouble ffs! I'm just hoping Rossi can (re)adapt to the pace of the Premiership (though he was proficient for the reserves). He must be given a chance at least (and probably preferably) as a squad / rotation / sub player. Fergie's aware of this, I mean Rossi's been talked about for a while now, hopefully he'll be given some games next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i think fergy should stick with the strikers he has now and give Rossi more first team opportunities. Smith, Rooney, Saha, Rossi (with super-sub Olé). four and a half strikers, and on paper a decent strike force as good as anyones. if it doesn't work out with Saha and/or Rossi then have a replacement lined up for Janurary, but for now he should focus on finding a long term replacement for Giggs, as well as bringing in Hargreaves or whoever for centre mid, as well as finding replacements should he sell anyone in defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Neville definetly out of the cup final, its a really pity for him. http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=466843&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=&title=Ankle+surgery+for+Neville

Yeh, but he got to lift a major trophy, so he hasn't failed as a United captain.

To be honest, I think Giggs lifting it is just as good :)
    I was wondering, if we do win it, and Giggs is substituted before the final whistle, and say he gives the armband to Scholes, does Scholes lift it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Who lifted it in 99? keano went off early in that final didnt he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

johnor wrote:
    yeah about 90minutes early.

• Advertisement

johnor wrote:
    Keano lifted it. Id say Neville and Giggs would share the honour just like sunday if we win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

johnor wrote:

Ye, he was replaced by Sheringham who then scored the games opening goal with pretty much his first touch!

Keano lifted the trophy because he played..I'm pretty sure Neville won't be lifting the trophy if Utd win because he's not in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

^Haha, David May, what a legend. How did he manage to be so prominent in all the pictures of trophy-winning celebrations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This guy was linked with Celtic on sky sports site today but with the ability to score from MF like this I wouldnt mind seeing him in a Utd jersey :D

Played for Ghana in the World Cup last year and was a savage in midfield if memory serves me...

Might want to turn off the sound for the clip though ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JkF8O3QtD8&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M40XI0pPWo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

^Haha, David May, what a legend. How did he manage to be so prominent in all the pictures of trophy-winning celebrations?

he was on soccer am a while back n he said his dad told him to always try in be in prominent positions 4 photos and the like

i'm gonna backtrack on my previous line about giving Saha another chance. dunno if it was posted already but i read today that he apparently declared himself unfit.... to attend the End of Season Dinner :eek: .

he really is just taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Saha is mentally & physically unfit. He's never been United quality and has flattered to deceive on many occasions, when he wasn't 'injured'. We need someone who wants to play for the jersey, I do hope SAF gets rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Linked with Viduka today on a free !
    Might be more reliable than Louis "I'm not fit" Saha but still.....please aim higher than that please Alex :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Sizzler wrote:
    Linked with Viduka today on a free !
    Might be more reliable than Louis "I'm not fit" Saha but still.....please aim higher than that please Alex :o

I think he would be an excellent option as a replacement for experienced target man that Henrik gave us for too short a time. IMO he is a very lazy player but is also very skillful and when hes in the mood a fantastic player. Would definitely be worth a gamble seeing as he is free.

Like Henrik, he gives something that United to not have. A target man that can hold up the ball, bring others into play and also excellent in the air.

Of course he would have to understand from the start that he would not be an automatic first choice that he might be at Newcastle if he went there. But then they wont be challenging for anything.

• Advertisement

Well heres one potential transfer target we can probaly cross off the list. :(
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=467254&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=&title=United+target+pens+new+deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If they are going in for 25m, they can go in for 30m for feck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Buy out clauses mean **** all, if the player wants a transfer he gets one. All this does is ensure Lisbon get well paid for him. The Betis/Denilson saga proved that about 6 years ago.

Viduka would be a good signing imo hes done **** alll as hes been with **** clubs stick him a winning team and i bet he wont be injured for 30 of the clubs games (and still be top scorer :confused: ) Also a handy way to bring Rossi on.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Viduka would be a good signing imo hes done **** alll as hes been with **** clubs stick him a winning team and i bet he wont be injured for 30 of the clubs games (and still be top scorer :confused: ) Also a handy way to bring Rossi on.

kdjac

Viduka could be good alright. he's a bit of a foil compared with what United have already. if he's available on a free it'd be worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Viduka could be good alright. he's a bit of a foil compared with what United have already. if he's available on a free it'd be worth a shot.

The guy can play ball, just been a while since anyone saw that side of his game. Would be a decent signing for Utd or Arsenal tbh.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ferguson did mention speed / pace was a priority, so I wouldn't be sure. To be honest, I think Newcastle would be more suited to Viduka. Allardyce might get the best out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i'm gonna backtrack on my previous line about giving Saha another chance. dunno if it was posted already but i read today that he apparently declared himself unfit.... to attend the End of Season Dinner :eek: .

he really is just taking the piss.

saha is one of united biggest mistakes in the past 10 years

you guys need to wake up and realise United are probably the biggest team in the world, viduka?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Viduka would have been a good signing years ago, but not now imo. He is not a bad player, but there are better ways of spending money (signing on fee will be high cause he is on a free, then wages)

We should be looking at getting in a striker that can be a first choice for the next 5 years or so; i don't want United to be a team in tranistion every stinking year!

There are better free agents out there, Saviola comes to mind. I'd be very very surprised if we signed Viduka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote:
    There are better free agents out there, Saviola comes to mind. I'd be very very surprised if we signed Viduka.
    would take saviola ahead of Viduka, but wouldn't take saviola anyway, would prefer to see Rossi given a chance - if Rossi doesn't make it, it will be most likely down to his stature, and saviola isn't exactly a giant by comparison.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    Viduka would have been a good signing years ago, but not now imo. He is not a bad player, but there are better ways of spending money (signing on fee will be high cause he is on a free, then wages)

We should be looking at getting in a striker that can be a first choice for the next 5 years or so; i don't want United to be a team in tranistion every stinking year!

ding ding ding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

should be signed just for the dodgy barnet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Can anyone honestly see him in a united shirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Michael Owen is a possible £11m target in the summer if he can prove his fitness according to BBC Sport Newspaper rumours.

If he is fit, I think he would be worth it. Still one of the top natural goalscorers in the game.

Advertisement