Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

£10m sterling is more than enough for Owen Hargreaves

£20m sterling is just takin the piss

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

20 million AND having to wait six months is just ridiculous. I dont think we should play ball on this one at all.
    They want us to pay way over the odds and want to look like they are doing us a favour. Hargreaves is a good player but he'll never be a great player. And at least if we sealed the deal NOW we would have him for the rest of this season, when we really need a few quality midfielders to close out the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I personally think that 20 Mil is way too much for him:p ...............but i think Utd are tyring to force Bayern Munich inot selling him NOW and not in the summer...........

If this goes on until the summer i can't, and hope, we still don't pay 20 Mil for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

20 mill for a player who prop wont start ever game ?no thanks
    i can see him,and i thikn the best option,would be to use him and carrick[if oh actually signs this month] in rotation for the rest of the season,with scholes guaranteed start, and next season 3 way rotation,with maybwe another new midfilder
    but 20 mil?*luaghs* i would have to say that spending 20 million on him and carrick would be a watse of money

also on the bale/heinze subject-
    i think signing young bale would be good,he looks a good prospect, one for the future, but i dont think he is worth the prices being quated in the media, and believe he should be loaned back to southamton for the rest of the season if he signs,and to a mid/low permeriship team next season,then to come back 08/09 to start playing for man utd
    on gabby..............why sell him?why not play him centre half with vidic ?
    i admit vidic has been outstanding this term and deserves his first team place sealed,but ferdinand has been good at best and is always prone to the 'aul mistake
    give gabby a chance, and sell the useless silvestre and o shea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

20 million STERLING!! That is crazy money. I was very impressed with in the WC but thats just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

£20,000,000 sterling
    He's recovering from a broken leg so paying extra, on top of an inflated price, to get him in Jan is a big risk. He might spend the rest of the season trying to find his form.
    I know the market is inflated and teams know that we need some CMs so they're upping the price and there's not many good CMs available at the mo but this is head wreckin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

i think united are trying to force a deal through, but i don't see him coming in jan

if its in teh summer we should pay less

also fergie said today heinze's contract is up in 09 not 07 as quoted in some papers today

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Xavi6 wrote:
    In fairness I don't think picking one over the other right now is really the issue. Bale is obviously one for the future while Heinze is one for the present. However with Evra also now a player for the present, Fergie may feel he is sufficiently covered at left back for the moment (Silvestre and O'Shea can play there too) and sees Bale as an investment. I think he'd be an excellent signing and while Heinze is a great player, losing him wouldn't exactly be a disaster.
    Heinze plays centre half for Argentina. So I'm sure he is versatile enough to play wherever SAF wants him. Therefore the man to get rid of is Sleepy Silvestre. O'Shíte is another man I would get rid of before Heinze. Without question... I've never seen a United player give the ball away as much as O'Shea. Hell I'd say Prunier or even Taibi outfield would do a better job than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ok, so lets concentrate on the main event for a while, tomorrows game with arsenal?! what we expecting? id be more than happy with a draw, if we win, ill go on the p**s for a week. i think we can defo get a point, which is a bonus, considering chavski lost today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think we'll win.
    I think the team we put out tomorrow will be much much better than the team that Arsenal beat 1-0 in September. Beyond that, the backline is weak except for Toure, and the midfield lacks defensive cover. Ultimately, we'll out score them, but even still, I think Vidic and Rio will keep whoever is upfront contained.
    Expect Wenger to swap to the usual 4-5-1 for the big games, so it'll be up to United to use their natural width, which is just fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

20 million STERLING!! That is crazy money. I was very impressed with in the WC but thats just madness.

Nothing seems out of proportion after what we paid for Carrick.

At least Hargreaves does what it says on the tin,and hes the sort of player that United need.Hes never going to be a match winner,but hes always going to be a ball winner and thats what United are sorely lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Dont underestimate arsenal tomorrow, they are playing with a nothing to lose attitude as they are so far behind so they can afford to be more ambitious. I just hope we rise to the occassion this time as the home leg was as numb as a performance as Ive seen for a while :mad:

If Ronaldo and Giggs are up for it Im sure either Saha or Henrik will give them a rough time.

NEED to score first !

I can also see Rooney getting a screamer in this game :D I bet there wont be any tap ins thats for sure !

todays rumours from bbc -

Manchester United are set to offer Cristiano Ronaldo a double-your-money five-year deal worth £100,000 a week. (News of the World)

Manchester United have won the battle to sign Southampton's wonderkid Gareth Bale - for around £8m. (Sunday Express)

Manchester United are also likely to sign Deportivo La Coruna midfielder Aldo Dusher, the man who broke David Beckham's metatarsal before the 2002 World Cup. (News of the World)

hopefully the first one is true anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Parma v Torino has just kicked off and Rossi has started.

• Advertisement

andrewie wrote:
    Parma v Torino has just kicked off and Rossi has started.

are you watching this? lets us know how he does please. any feedback on how evans played(thats if he played of course), for sunderland yesterday? foster was good again yesterday for watford. pique was v good against real last week apparantly, looks good for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rossi scored, 1-0 Parma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

well done Rossi!

This is gonna be one hell of a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Clowns:mad:

Shíte defending for both goals.

Still have 6 pts on them but not much more room for error.
    PHB, Hope you didnt have money on it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

What a rubbish performance tonight by Manu, credit to arsenal though, they had no pressure on them coming into this game. Rooney may have scored, but was rubbish yet again. I don’t care if he's not playing his position; if he's world class then he should be able to play anywhere. Larson i thought was ok, considering he had no support up front. I was thinking that Ferdinand had a decent game, played well, but he was at fault for the second goal, he gave Henry 4 yards of space and as the ball was crossed was static when Henry scored the header. I hate that Henry, not cause has an average player, and all he did was moan all game was, but got the goal so credit to him and arsenal

I think SAF got this tactics wrong today, we never pressured arsenal when they had the ball, to much space was given and they where never closed down quick enough. Arsenal probably deserved the 3points because they wanted to win while SAF was looking to nick a 1-0 and was happy to see the game out.

• Advertisement

fúck it anyway...chance to win the league tonight gone

What a rubbish performance tonight by Manu, credit to arsenal though, they had no pressure on them coming into this game. Rooney may have scored, but was rubbish yet again. .

we were 90 seconds away from a savage result, why the f**k do people like you have to be so negative. it was a great game,united, being the away team, soaked up and attatcked on counter, like any other team would do. would you have wrote the same crap had we drawn or won, i serioulst doubt it.the game was even, with one last ditch header between them, end of.

I think today shows the need for a strong midfielder like Hargreaves in the center. Carrick is great for the passing, but he doesn't put himself around as much as you need to if you are playing with Scholes. This forces us to a 4-5-1 in order to protect the midfield in big games (althogh I don't agree we should do that). Hargreaves would allow a 4-4-2 with Scholes and Hargreaves. Let's hope the deal happens

is it just me or should van der sar have saved henrys header? it was pretty much straight at him. aint seen the replays, but looked a routine save to me? rio could have done better for both goals. overall, while gutted, its not the end of the world. we still have the same lead as we had before the weekend started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

1: Fergie saying Carrick was the best on the pitch. eh what?!?!
    2:We couldnt attack well with the ball at all.
    3: Yet another 4-5-1 formed game and yet another boring performance from us I thought. it just doesnt work.

Both goals came down the left side but in fairness Evra played great. very lucky not to have given away a pen when Gary took down Henry too.

Not a happy day for me at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Carrick played well but Vidic was outstanding today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Have to say was a bit anoyed after the game today, didn't speak to the gf for a good few hours :p, but when i thought about it the result did not bother me that much anymore as i remebered we are still 6 pts clear........

Have to say we only conceded when Fergie made the changes, Saha on for Larsson and Heinze for Ronaldo, i thought the 4-5-1 formation worked ok today, but i am not a big fan of it.......... anyone who thinks we have blown our chance of the title needs their head examined....

14 games to go Chelski have to go to arsenal and play us, and as for ppl saying liverpool and arsenal may be back in the title race..........i don't think so they need Utd and Chelski to lose 5 games and win all of theirs till the end of the season can't see that happening

Matt Le Tissier knows his stuff.
    HOME WIN - For me, the biggest game of the season is always when the top two collide, but whatever's happening in the league, this is always a great fixture - and I can't see this one being any different. Arsenal will pass, move, pass, move and United will be a threat on the counter and it all promises to be fantastic for the neutrals. I can see United scoring and giving the Emirates the odd scare, but I stick with Arsenal's confidence to see them through, 2-1.

Is Le Tiss amiss? Arsenal to win 2-1 is 9/1 with Sky Bet.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=442581&CPID=8&clid=3&lid=1490&title=A+blast+from+the+pass+-+Le+Tiss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Chance to wrap up the league bar the shouting, down the mother fcuking drain.

Thought Evra was excellent. Fcuk Henry anyway, really hope we arent looking back at those ten minutes this May wondering what could have been.

Sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Rooney may have scored, but was rubbish yet again. I don’t care if he's not playing his position; if he's world class then he should be able to play anywhere. I hate that Henry, not cause has an average player, and all he did was moan all game was, but got the goal so credit to him and arsenal

so a world class player should be able to play anywhere?

So he should be able to play centre half?

And did you say Henry is an average player?

• Advertisement

event wrote:
    so a world class player should be able to play anywhere?

So he should be able to play centre half?

And did you say Henry is an average player?

My point about Rooney being able to play any position is that every week commentators and ex pros keeps saying that SAF is playing him out of his natural position on the left wing or right wing. My point is that if he's a world class talent then it should be no problem to him if he's as good as everyone says he is? Even Roy Keane said he has proved nothing yet and he's right.

Henry is an average player with an attitude problem and is a sorer loser BIG time. The whole game he's was moaning cause nothing was going right for him and he was in a mood cause he got a kick or 2 of Neville, he walk around so arrogant as if he is god and no one can touch him. I only ever seem have a good game against the lesser teams, never did in Europe for Arsenal unless it was against a lesser team in the champions league and as for France in the world cup 2006. Don’t remember doing much there either.

*Homerjay2005*

As good as VDS is, he had no chance of saving that, there was to much power in it. Even so at first i thought the same and prob could have a got a hand to it, but the power beat him in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

My point about Rooney being able to play any position is that every week commentators and ex pros keeps saying that SAF is playing him out of his natural position on the left wing or right wing. My point is that if he's a world class talent then it should be no problem to him if he's as good as everyone says he is? Even Roy Keane said he has proved nothing yet and he's right.

so the great keano said it, it must be true :rolleyes:
    Henry is an average player with an attitude problem and is a sorer loser BIG time. The whole game he's was moaning cause nothing was going right for him and he was in a mood cause he got a kick or 2 of Neville, he walk around so arrogant as if he is god and no one can touch him. I only ever seem have a good game against the lesser teams, never did in Europe for Arsenal unless it was against a lesser team in the champions league and as for France in the world cup 2006. Don’t remember doing much there either.

yeah, average enough i suppose

would get into any team in the world.

In the world cup 98, was france top scorer. Again at euro 2000. when they won them both

he scored a hat trick agianst either roma or inter, cant remember, when arsenal needed to win

BTW: These are just off the top of my head

he has scored goals against all the big teams in england. I really dont know what more you want from him. Who gives a ****e if he is a sore loser or arrogant, does that make him less of a player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Henry is an average player with an attitude problem

If that is true then he is the greatest average player of all time ;)
    the guy is world class, his scoring record and some of the goals he has scored
    more than prove that
    Crazy statement if you ask me but everyone has an opinion i suppose

look we all know United were 10 minutes away from getting a fantastic professional result

We all know that Henry is world class and is consistent enough

We all know that managers sometimes get it wrong, or shít just happens

We are top of the league, in a great spot.

RELAX!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Henry is an average player with an attitude problem

henry is class, dont be silly.

Bad result for man u but i felt Arsenal deserved it and another case of United taking the foot off the gas.

We've got away with it a few times this year but we're were caught out yesterday.
    It's good to hear Fergie acknowledge this, hopefully we can sort it out. We're still 6 points ahead and to be honest the way chelsea are playing they look like they'll drop more points in the coming weeks. They were absolutely sh*te against liverpool and the 2 boys that get nearly 200,000 between them hid for most of the game and ridiculed themselves with a lovely nutmeg!! LOL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

In other news an anonymous club has bid £10 for Gareth Bale...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I wouldnt say Henry is an average player but I dont think he is the best player on the planet that a lot of people make him out to be. He tried to take on Neville twice with his pace and Neville was well able for him. Also tried a couple of times on Rio and again nothing.

I said to a gooner mate of mine on Sunday morning that Henry would probably have his usual game against United...do nothing for 90 minutes but still get on the scoresheet. Exactly what happened and what happens so often. I couldnt name a game where Henry has been brilliant against United but he has scored a good few goals against us. Yesterday, Rio switched off for a couple of seconds and was caught. Pity as he had an excellent game. The entire back four did.

Oh well...as Fergie said afterwards we still are 6 points ahead and have increased our goal difference over chelski. Not a bad weekend at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think even i could muster up more than £10 for bale. IT'd great if united could sign him, think he would also benefit from rest of season and maybe even some of next season on loan at southampton. What happens with regards the current left backs is kinda irrelevant, this guy is already a good player with great skill, he can only get better considering his age. I think signing him for 10 million might seem steep now, but considering how much cashley would cost and how much better bale will be.....

Did you not see the Champions League final last season or do you just not understand football?
    Also scored a class hat-trick in the San Siro against Inter when Arsenal really needed a result and had been hammered the previous week by Inter.
    Scored a class hat-trick against Roma over there as well (but that game wasn't so important).
    event mentioned his WC and Euro Champ record.

And he has scored a heap of important goals against us, including some screamers.

Yesterday he didn't complain that much when he wasn't given a peno that he should have been. He played well overall, but not his best.

So in short Henry is class and you are wrong.

On to the serious stuff:
    Well p!ssed off about the result but not worried about the league. We are still in a very good position. And, barring injury to our CMs, we are favourites imo.

I thought the 4-5-1 worked ok (although I usually rant against SAF using it) and we played alright. We didn't hold onto the ball enough and relied on counter attacking too much though. If we'd just shown belief in our passing maybe we could have taken the fight out of them a bit. But we seemed too content to play without the ball for me.

Ferdinand at fault for Henry's header. I hate the way he switches off now and again. He made a few dodgy mistakes during the game and didn't stick in the head a few times when he should have.

I thought Rooney played well for a man out of position. I think SAF stuck him on the wing not for a team tactical reason but because he had such a bad game last week against Villa. There was less pressure on him on the wing and he seemed less up tight. He nearly got a screamer and did score a good finish. And he held the ball up a bit and made a few breaks.

I thought Evra played well despite a few iffy crosses.

I was surprised Heinze was brought on and not Park. PJS played well last week. He would have given us some energy and an outlet for the ball. I suppose Fergie wanted a hard not like Heinze, to try and nick the result. Seemed too negative to me but it's too easy to criticise.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote:
    Did you not see the Champions League final last season or do you just not understand football?
    Also scored a class hat-trick in the San Siro against Inter when Arsenal really needed a result and had been hammered the previous week by Inter.
    Scored a class hat-trick against Roma over there as well (but that game wasn't so important).
    event mentioned his WC and Euro Champ record.

And he has scored a heap of important goals against us, including some screamers.

Yesterday he didn't complain that much when he wasn't given a peno that he should have been. He played well overall, but not his best.

Sshhhh, don't interrupt him while he's on a rant! :D

Lol

I'd happily have Henry at United :) Average player is just silly.
    I used to think Henry doesn't perform in big games, but I think Henry doesn't work in games against specific types of opponents, not necessarily against big games. It's just big teams can recognise the problems he has. btw, there is no player in the world who hasn't been accused of either not performing in big games(Henry is the current, Ronaldo also gets it quite a bit), or not performing week in week out(Gerrard).

No player will perform in every game, but ultimately, even though Henry and Rooney had poor games, they both scored key goals despite this. This is usually the mark of a great player.

Oh btw, the player that Newcastle didn't use has had a good start in Parma, and heres the goal he scored, not too bad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xu5cWh347U

I reckoned Carrick had a v. good game. Tended to stand in front of the back four providing a safe option for the likes of Ferdinand and Vidic to move the ball through the centre. I think he did have a very good game.
    He linked up v. well with Larsson and Ronaldo so we were able to move really swiftly through the wings. Also Evra was fantastic going forward, ploughed through arsenal and got in some great runs / crosses. I think this is why Heinze was brought on instead of Park, Evra's pace was really troubling Arsenal and Fergie wanted to leave him on as an outlet, particularly with Larsson taken off.
    Really disappointed with Rio yesterday. He had a couple of bad mistakes, but just generally very lax for the marking, sometimes he seems like he has had a spliff at half time. When Henry scored his goal there were 3 arsenal players not picked up that could have scored depending on where the cross dropped. This was strange to me because normally we are very good on the zone defense vs. man to man marking and tend to get this balance right. It concerns me going forward when (if) we have to play top european opposition, I just dont have faith in Rio Ferdinand to do it for us. I think he could do with being dropped for a few games for the always dependable Heinze, might force him to focus more on the fundamentals.

Also that was Rooney's first headed goal for Utd. I thought it indicated fantastic technique. The ball took a nick off an arsenal player before it came to him, which changed the flight of the ball quite a bit. He still managed to time his dive for it perfectly, and there is nothing like seeing a full ball connection on a sweet diving header, just fantastic technique for a player not known for his heading ability.

Did anyone else watch MOTD2 last night in absolute disbelief at the "highlights" they showed of Carrick? I've never seen so much bs spouted in all my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

to whoever said Henry was average... AHAHAHAHA. BEST....PLAYER.... IN.....THE......WORLD at the moment and for the last few seasons.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Did anyone else watch MOTD2 last night in absolute disbelief at the "highlights" they showed of Carrick? I've never seen so much bs spouted in all my life.

yeah I agree, although apart from Evra and Vidic, Carrick was Uniteds best player. He was solid enough, seems to be in the big games...but it just aint enough for the fee we paid and the expectations we have.

Okay, so alot of the unoticed work is done by M Carrick, but the words "flash in the pan" come to mind. We need a horse, somebody to be afraid of and ruffle a few feathers. Not a Veron or a glorified Darren Fletcher.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Seemed like a bit of over-analysing from the studio. Sure, he does plenty of good stuff. The simple stuff well and all that. So they can pick out loads of highlights of him doing a simple pass or making a simple interception. But he doesn't get busy. He never hounds the opposition. He's good when we have the ball but he doesn't tackle enough and that's his job. I think he'd be class if he went out and won plenty of 50/50s but he doesn't.

Pro. F wrote:

NO im not wrong, its my opinion that i say Henry is not world class, he's over rated i think ( you dont have to agree ).
    I wouldn't say know if he moved to manu, but id rather have someone who works hard for the team all round and doesn't moan at own team mates.
    Pro. F wrote:
    I was surprised Heinze was brought on and not Park. PJS played well last week. He would have given us some energy and an outlet for the ball. I suppose Fergie wanted a hard not like Heinze, to try and nick the result. Seemed too negative to me but it's too easy to criticise.

I dont think you watched the game from the comment you posted above. PJS wasn't even on the bench for the arsenal game, but i do "agree" that he would have being a good sub to have, shame he wasn't there alright :rolleyes:

evad_lhorg wrote:
    to whoever said Henry was average... AHAHAHAHA. BEST....PLAYER.... IN.....THE......WORLD at the moment and for the last few seasons.

I said he was an average player:p. If he was the best player for the last few seasons then who won PFA in 2005? John Terry and 2006 Steven Gerrard and they both deserved it more then he did. European Player in 2005 was Ronaldinho and 2006 Cannavaro. Arsenal player has never won the european award.

• Advertisement
Advertisement