Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ok so now that it's looking increasingly likely that noone will be coming in this january what do you think out chances of retaining the lead int he premiership are?

Personally I think that with chelsea staying quiet this window too there's a bit of hope but I'm still alarmed that we're too short staffed in midfield. If scholes gets a knock we're screwed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The talk about Ronaldo being on the move isn't going away.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1884602,00.html

I couldn't really see him going to Barcelona, they already have Messi and Ronaldinho on the wing. Not to mention, I doubt they could beat Real Madrid in the transfer market.

Also, I watched Rossi in action for Parma against Milan at the weekend. He looks a little lightweight to me. Don't know if Parma are the best team to be with either, they were dreadful, Rossi got zero service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

strong rumours of ronaldinho going to milan in the summer. if that happens, could very well see him go to barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Who would you all like to see Manu sign in the summer.

Would love to see Xabi join but not as a swap for ronaldo.

Also, I'm still refusing to believe that Macherano is as poor as he was at west ham and it looks as if he's joining liverpool now. i think he'd be fantastic for manU.

Another player that would excel for United is Cahill from everton. He'd be great backup for Scholes. Not as technically gifted as scholes but has a good engine and scores loads of goals.

in terms of a striker, Villa of Valencia is a better prospect than Torres. he's quicker, more aggressive and has so far this term scored twice the amount of goals torres has. Another slightly cheaper option that would do really well in the EPL is Klose.

players i expect to leave would be Richardson, Silvestre, Smith

One thing I hope ferguson has noted from watching Larsson and also the rejuvenation of Scholes this year is that intelligent players make a team tick and move along. it's not big leggy edjits that huff and puff and run all over the place.
    But who is available that would have the brains and ability of the likes of scholes or larsson? anyway, they're the kind of player we need and the wont come cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Would love to see Xabi join but not as a swap for ronaldo.

Also, I'm still refusing to believe that Macherano is as poor as he was at west ham and it looks as if he's joining liverpool now. i think he'd be fantastic for manU.

Another player that would excel for United is Cahill from everton. He'd be great backup for Scholes. Not as technically gifted as scholes but has a good engine and scores loads of goals.

in terms of a striker, Villa of Valencia is a better prospect than Torres. he's quicker, more aggressive and has so far this term scored twice the amount of goals torres has. Another slightly cheaper option that would do really well in the EPL is Klose.

players i expect to leave would be Richardson, Silvestre, Smith

Grasshopper i likes your thinking. I agree Xavi of Barca would be a fantastic signing for Manu and if Ronaldo did go as part of the deal i wouldn't be to sad if it happened.

I think Macherano was one of the best players in the world cup last summer. I watched the West-Ham game last night and they were rubbish, especially in the midfield. I would have thought that if SAF couldn't get hargreaves this January then why not try and get Macherano on loan till the end of the season :rolleyes:. I can't believe that he or Tevez can't get into the first team, its mind blowing. The only reason i can think off is maybe Curbs probably thinks there not up a relegation fight.

I dont rate that Reo-Coker from what i saw last season or this season, Arsenal and Spurs are welcome to him.

I wouldn't say no to Cahill either coming to Manu, good shout Grasshopper again. David Villa i can't see happening, Torres i would love to see or Kaka of AC Milan :) .

I can't believe i have nothing negative to say about your comments Grasshopper :confused::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

buying torres would be a very expensive mistake

goal tally has decreased every season since he broke into the athletico team and he has never once proved to me that he could be worth the price tag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Garret wrote:
    buying torres would be a very expensive mistake

goal tally has decreased every season since he broke into the athletico team and he has never once proved to me that he could be worth the price tag
    he played very well at the world cup

i think if in a great team he could do it

he played very well at the world cup

i think if in a great team he could do it

I agree. I've watching the La Liga for years and Torres is Class. Torres is playing in a average team with Athletico and has been for years. Real and Barca have both tried to sign him in the past but he refused cause he wanted to be loyal plus the fact he would never sign for Real. Barca on the other hand could happend this summer. I expect to see him put on a good show against in england in a few weeks as long as he starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Torres is Class.

Nope, I disagree, he's extremely overratted. WOuldnt cut it in the Premiership. Im going to state somethin that may grab alot of attention but I would put Kuyt of Liverpool ahead of Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I dunno if you could compare the two tbh, they're both different types of strikers, Kuyt wouldn't really classify as a goalscoring striker per se, he tends to drop off the other strikr. Torres is more of a golascoring type I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Don't think Torres would be a great buy for ManU. £20mil+ for a player with no CL or UEFA Cup experience plus declining goal return the past 3 seasons, would be a poor bit of business.

Huntelaar would be a better option i think. Cheaper than Torres, scoring more goals each season plus has CL and Uefa Cup experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Even if we get Hargreaves, midfield is still the absolute priority for transfer.

In Goalkeeping and defense we are definately sorted for next year, and even position bar RB is sorted for years to come.

In Attack, we have Rooney Saha Ole and Rossi emerging

Midfield is where we still need to strengthen.
    Ronaldo is our RW for years to come I hope, but LW and CM are still weak.
    A LW is needed without a doubt to be brought in to replace Giggs, not just add depth.
    In Midfield, even the purchase of Hargreaves will not solve our midfield problems for the future, as Scholes can only have at most, most, 2 more seasons after this one. We need another AMC, so that we can have the choice of the midfield selection of Carrick, Hargreaves, new AMC, and Fletcher as cover.

Who do I want to see brought in this summer?

Xabi would be a dream buy, if he joined us, i'd be over the moon, but I'd be suprised to see it happen, unless Iniesta really pushes on this season.
    As for LW, I really don't know. Robben was the ideal replacement, but I don't think Ribery is in his class. I'd ideally like to see someone who can cross the ball as well as Beckham, as I feel Ronaldo is an incredibly winger, just as Giggs was, but I feel, just like Giggs, that they should be partnered with a left/right midfielder, to balance the team, and give it alternates. United were at their best with Giggs running at people and Beckham crossing it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Xavi is class, he is the perfect replacement to Scholes, excellent vision, passing, intelligence, movement, etc. Any Barcelona fan will tell you, a lot of their best play comes through him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm well worried about the lack of depth in midfield for the league run in now. Scholes being the most critical. And what about the other competitions as well? Lack of back up could cost us dearly in big matches even if an important midfielder doesn't get a long term injury.

But the Jan window is always tricky, what's done is done. As long as we get some good midfielders in in the summer I'll be happy. Attacking CM, combative CM, LW in that order of importance for me. Young (reasonably priced and good) prospects or big names for big bucks would be the way to go.
    Can't see us getting Xavi. It would be deadly though.

I don't see why people would want us to go for Torres. We don't need him and he's unproven in the prem. Rooney is world class on his day and Saha is very good. Why break the bank and unsettle those two unnecessarily? All we need is possibly cover for our strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Pro. F wrote:
    And what about the other competitions as well?

Fcuk the other competitions. If I had my way I wouldnt play full strength teams in the CL. Premier League has to be priority and no risks should be taken with any other competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I agree the Premiership should be the priority........if i had a choice now, i would take the Premiership over the Champions lge and if we won the fa cup i would seee that as a bonus

Yep, we cant go four seasons without a league. Its just unthinkable!! Premiership is main priority... if we can get our way into the semis of CL without fecking up our league campaign I'll be delighted and somewhat impressed.

Other news, Dong got a full outing for the reserves last night
    SkySports wrote:
    Dong Fangzhuo played 90 minutes for Manchester United's reserves against Liverpool on Thursday.

The China star was given the green light to begin his Manchester United career last month when he was granted a work permit.

He was thrown into the reserve clash at Ewen Fields and played for the full 90 minutes of the 0-0 draw.

Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz watched from the stands and they saw the striker hit the post in the dying minutes.

Ferguson also saw Alan Smith, Wes Brown and Mikael Silvestre complete 90 minutes, while Darren Fletcher played the first half.

Liverpool fielded Bolo Zenden and the Dutchman played 45 mins of the tie

All I want to do in the CL is to win a ****ing knockout tie. It's been so long since we've won a knockout tie I've almost forgotten what it feels like. If we win the premiership and get knocked out in the quarters I'll be a very very happy person.

PHB wrote:
    All I want to do in the CL is to win a ****ing knockout tie. It's been so long since we've won a knockout tie I've almost forgotten what it feels like. If we win the premiership and get knocked out in the quarters I'll be a very very happy person.

I agree.
    We beat Lille and see how we get on from there but the premier league is defo the priority.
    With 13 fixtures 7 home, 6 away i think we've a great chance. Chelsea have been dealt another blow with cashley going down for most of the season.

We've some huge away games: chelsea, liverpool, spurs, pompey not to mention the manchester derby and everton but we have some easy enough home games left aswell. Either way, it doesnt really matter who we play if we maintain our form we can beat anyone in the league. The league is ours to either win or lose.
    We've bounced back well from the arsenal game and i fancy us to beat spurs on sunday, their back 4 is a little shakey with 32 goals against. It'll be a good open game i'd say.

Yeah should be a good game alright. Usually is down there. Their home form is excellent but United have a good record there and with both teams going for the win it should make it very exciting. Spurs though looked impotent in the 2 games v the gooners so I would definitely fancy getting all 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

We've bounced back well from the arsenal game and i fancy us to beat spurs on sunday, their back 4 is a little shakey with 32 goals against. It'll be a good open game i'd say.

we bounced back wel....... In fairness is was Watford.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

we NEED all 3 points this weekend.

Chelsea WILL pick up all three against 'boro, and we can't let the gap decrease.

Tauren wrote:

Chelsea WILL pick up all three against 'boro, and we can't let the gap decrease.

Are Chelski not away to Charlton this weekend.....:rolleyes:

evad_lhorg wrote:
    we bounced back wel....... In fairness is was Watford.:p
    The pompey win aswell + Rooney is back scoring
    Tauren wrote:

Are Chelsea not playin Charlton?
    Edit: GM got there before me

Chelsea are playing Charlton, they will probably win. Personally I think we will beat Spurs, but I think we'll almost defo beat any team bar the big three.

We are currently effectivly 7 points ahead, if we drop points, then we'll be 4 or 5 effective points ahead, and still be favorites to win the league. There's no need to get all scared about Chelsea all of a sudden because they have their key players back. They had their key players playing when we pulled away from them in the first place, nothing has changed, except that the gap has gotten 2 points bigger.
    People will say that Chelsea had an unlucky season with Cech and Terry getting injured, but in the end, United only gained 2 points from that due to their own **** ups. We were beating them when they were at full strength, and I think we'll continue to beat them

We all know that Manu are going to sign Owen Hargreaves and Gareth Bale in the summer.

I nomally get info on L'pool team like signing's etc. I have it on good authority that Jose Reina will be heading back to spain to either Barca or Valencia in the summer for personl reasons and the fact he and his family can't settle in liverpool.

You all know i rave about Fernando Torres :) . I have also heard by my source that Manu have made an offer to sign him this summer and he wants to come. When he does sign and Reina heads back to spain, remember where you heard it first.

I expect a tough game tommorow at spurs, but still expect 3points :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

3 points tomorrow would be a great result and i am confident that we can do it. it will be a tough game. is bale being signed as a defender or can he also play on the left wing? maybe evra is being lined up for a left wing position in a year or 2, with bale slotting in there.

i doubt it if we would be able to sign those 3 players mentioned there by devil but, if we do sign torres, bale and hargreaves, for about £40 million id say, then we would have some team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,425 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

3 points tomorrow would be a great result and i am confident that we can do it. it will be a tough game. is bale being signed as a defender or can he also play on the left wing? maybe evra is being lined up for a left wing position in a year or 2, with bale slotting in there.

i doubt it if we would be able to sign those 3 players mentioned there by devil but, if we do sign torres, bale and hargreaves, for about £40 million id say, then we would have some team.
    i'd say it would be over 50million. We'd need to sell a few players (Silvestre, Richardson, Heinze, O'Shea)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well, we always seem to forget Tim Howard, surely we would get £2 million for him?
    dont think he wil ever sell o shea or fletcher. so that leaves - 1 or 2 of the young lads to be sold for a million each.

Silvestre - £3.0 million to somebody like villa/newcastle, though he probably may be used in a swap deal or go to spain.
    Richardson - £3.5 million.
    Smith - £ 3.5 million
    Heinze - Whats the story with his contract, is that nearly out? if so, then we will get nothing for him, maybe £2 million at most.

so that is about £15 million from sales added onto the £30 million that i reckon is there already to spend.

• Advertisement

Heinze - Whats the story with his contract, is that nearly out? if so, then we will get nothing for him, maybe £2 million at most.

His contract is until 2009. If we get to sell him normally, I think we'd get a lot more than 2 million for him. Maybe as much as 10, but at least 5, at least.

Em, if Torres or somebody like that is bought, I'd imagine Saha might be on his way out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

PHB wrote:
    Em, if Torres or somebody like that is bought, I'd imagine Saha might be on his way out?

I would imagine so. Saha done well for us at the start of the season, better than I was expecting from him but I still dont see him as a great striker.

I think he is very close to being a great striker, and I think once he returns from injury, he will begin to show his class. That said, him and Rooney don't seem to gel as a partnership which I think is needed in a 4-4-2. Watching Rooney play with Larsson reminded me what its like to have a strike duo, something we really havn't had since Yorke and Cole.

PHB wrote:

I'm not sure if Saha will be sold this summer even if we do get Fernando Torres. SAF is a big fan of Saha that we all know, but i think he knows now that we can't always look to Rooney to score the goals if Saha is injured. Rooney was never a out and out goal scorer.

I do expect Smith, Richardson and O'Shea to be sold in the summer. I'm not sure if Henize will sold in the summer and if he was i would expect Manu to at least get £7,000,000,000. Gareth Bale i think SAG see's him as a replacement for Ryan Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Ah yes Heinze, the 7 billion pound man. Tell me, if this Bale deal goes ahead, is it he or Evra that's more likely to move up to left-midfield? Use Evra as a new Giggs or Bale as a left sided Beckham?

LOL..............:D
    Seen that as well............most expensive player ever...........:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

anyone hear about the unprotected contracts clause that means terry and lampard are able to leave chelseaa in the summer for around 6 milion sterling?
    same with alonso
    i wonder what other players contracts are unprotected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

anyone hear about the unprotected contracts clause that means terry and lampard are able to leave chelseaa in the summer for around 6 milion sterling?
    same with alonso
    i wonder what other players contracts are unprotected
    Robben, Carvalho, Alan Smith, Giggs, Ljunberg, Gilberto, Heinze, Luis Garcia all now or by August anyway. Loads of players. Celtic don't give more than 3 year contracts because of it. They always give 3 years with another year option.

Mark wrote:
    Ah yes Heinze, the 7 billion pound man.

I was just testing you all :p You probably wouldn't believe if i told you i was on the pi**s last night :rolleyes: ( i was in town )

Great win this evening, a good performance by everyone invloved. I think you could tell how BIG a win this was by the reaction of SAF for the first 2 goals.

Yeh, its a 5 year contract, with the option to buy yourself out of it, if you play under the contract for 3 years. To be honest, I like the idea, I never really liked the idea of fixed contracts anyway (not being able to buy yourself out of it).

Is there any definate list of the availible players?

p.s. If Robben is availible I'd give anything for United to go after him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Apart from the obvious 4-0 scoreline, I think todays result was prob the best team performance of the season from back to front :D

Goal difference of +43 :p

Carrick did well today too, did the simple things well, should have scored and also had an assist with the corner ;)

• Advertisement

Great Result today i am very happy with the 4 nil scoreline..... Plus with the goal diff it makes the lead more like 7pts than 6pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Not so happy witht he 4-0 score, had em at 14's on the 3-0, also had Christiano to score first and a 2-0 win at 25's... oh well, At least Vidic scores, 7-1...

johnor wrote:
    Not so happy witht he 4-0 score, had em at 14's on the 3-0, also had Christiano to score first and a 2-0 win at 25's... oh well, At least Vidic scores, 7-1...

My heart bleads for you. :D

Excellent performance. Thought Scholes and Vidic were brilliant.

Great win for United yesterday!

Great all round performance, even John o shea was savage and apparently he wants half of VDS's clean sheet bonus.

I dont like hearing sh*t like this. i wish fat phil would keep his mouth shut!

in any case, Why would United sell ronaldo consiidering they have invested so much in him to become the player he is?

Not as easy as that I'm afraid, Ronaldo has always indicated he'll move to Spain at some stage in his career, and if the player wants to go there is only so much Manchester United can do. I do hope he stays longer than 3 or 4 years but if Im being honest I can see him moving to spain when he turns 24 or 25.

Fantastic player and has all the potential to be the best winger in the world, and the best winger this game has produced in the last 20 years also.

Great win for United yesterday. Good day all round with Celtic and Ireland in the rugby doin well :). I honestly believe that if we remain unbeaten or win two out of the three away games (Pompey, Pool and Chelsea) then we'll win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great result yesterday, The team is full of confidence at the moment and appears to be getting stronger from game to game.

The bookies think the race is over and have started to pay out on United being champions, There is still a way to go and some tough games to play but if the team continues to play as it is at the moment they will be very difficult to catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have they actually started to pay out already? That's not sensible is it...i mean it is only 6 points...it should be at least 12 points ahead but they ****ed up against West Ham and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The Muppet wrote:
    The bookies think the race is over and have started to pay out on United being champions, There is still a way to go and some tough games to play but if the team continues to play as it is at the moment they will be very difficult to catch.

who the hell are paying out? stupid IMO

quality result yesterday, was very worried about the game but obvious turning point just before half time put us in control.

really looking forward to CL starting again as well...hope we go far this time!

p_larkin99 wrote:
    really looking forward to CL starting again as well...hope we go far this time!

League = major priority.

Also looks like we could go far in the FA Cup too so Im not too bothered we get knocked out of CL early. I'd be disappointed, but league is the biggy this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Trilla wrote:
    League = major priority.

well obviously yes but i see no reason why we can't go far in europe....we don't have the hardest draw and we're looking like we can match anyone. Ronaldo can take apart any full back he comes up against at the moment!

the only thing that can go wrong is injuries but we had the chance to strengthen in January and ferguson obviously felt that we didn't need to

• Advertisement
Advertisement