Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If Real or Barca (which I doubt) make a bid of 35m + Ronaldo will leave IMO.

I hope not. Even though he comes across as an asshole and is prone to the odd dive and irish jig gone wrong, he's still very important to use and I'd like to get at least another 2 seasons out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Gabby says he wants to stay as long as ferguson wants him. Isnt it great to see someone with this kind of attitude.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=447046&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=&title=Heinze+keen+on+United+stay

argentina, argentina, argentina!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Gabby says he wants to stay as long as ferguson wants him. Isnt it great to see someone with this kind of attitude.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=447046&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=&title=Heinze+keen+on+United+stay

argentina, argentina, argentina!
    Absolute legend Heinze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I've been thinking about this Ronaldo situation over the past couple of days. I think that no matter how talented the guy is if Man Utd got an offer of £35m +, it could be good business. He is playing out of his skin at the moment, but what's to say that next season his confidence will be down and he will return to his form as the wasteful show pony. I know that's only an if, but ALOT could be done with circa £35 m and he isn't irreplaceable. Still, with that said, I'd be fairly gutted if he left so I don't know which scenario I would prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Event: I agree as a Manu supporter as a Ronaldo Fan that he was poor against Ashley Cole and Gael Clichy in both games. The difference is that they are both fast runners no more ( but i think all they did was kick him ) how many times do you see Ashley Cole go to Ground when he makes a tackle. Whats that say?
    I think Ronaldo has been the best winger in the premership this season by a mile and you can't argue with that ( Event ) he has scored 15goals and has won utd many games on his almost. I hope to see Paul Scholes get PFA award because i think he's been Manutd best player this season along with Ronaldo and Vidic.

again, where did i say he wasnt the best winger in the premiership?

i dont get your point though? ashley cole doesnt go to ground when he tackles, so what?

and they are fast, yeah? SO are you saying ronaldo can only play against slower fullbacks, cant compete against them?

i stand by my original point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

TBH, I wouldn't be sorry to see Ronaldo go if we got top dollar for him. I would prefer to see player plus cash deal for him. Scholes is not getting any younger so Xavi or Iniesta plus 20m would be a great deal.

Utd can use this situation to their advantage - test how much Barca want Ronnie - because if we wanted to sign either of these players for a straight cash deal we would be held to ransom.

I can't see Ronaldo maturing as a player. As he becomes more skilful etc. on the pitch I believe he will become more of a nightmare off it. Giving him the Portugese captaincy the other night against Brazil was the worst thing Scolari could have done - feeding the ego.

I've never warmed to Ronaldo when he's wearing the Red - being a Utd player is more than just a load of fancy tricks on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

madds wrote:
    TBH, I wouldn't be sorry to see Ronaldo go if we got top dollar for him. I would prefer to see player plus cash deal for him. Scholes is not getting any younger so Xavi or Iniesta plus 20m would be a great deal.

Utd can use this situation to their advantage - test how much Barca want Ronnie - because if we wanted to sign either of these players for a straight cash deal we would be held to ransom.

I can't see Ronaldo maturing as a player. As he becomes more skilful etc. on the pitch I believe he will become more of a nightmare off it. Giving him the Portugese captaincy the other night against Brazil was the worst thing Scolari could have done - feeding the ego.

I've never warmed to Ronaldo when he's wearing the Red - being a Utd player is more than just a load of fancy tricks on the ball.

How can you say you can't see him maturing? He's matured this season certainly; in attitude, performance and overall contribution. He's only just turned 22 and already he's one of Man U's integral players. Imo he can only get better.

I don't think it'd be in Man U's best interests to sell their player of the season. Your argument seems to be filled with ifs about the future. The oint being, if Ronaldo continues in this vein of form (and desire etc.) he will become one of Man U's best players for the next ten seasons.

As for your last comment...yes tricks are a part of Ronado's game but if you've watched him at all thise season he's able to use this ability at the right times. He's learning when to release the ball, run with it or do a few stepovers. In sum, the Ronaldo of this season is more of a team player than he has ever been in his career at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lads, can we leave the ronaldo stories until the summer now please?!. he is going nowhere for the next 4 months anyway. lets concentrate on the immediate, which is at home to charlton tomorrow, van der sar is out for 2 weeks, ronaldo is sick, so he is a doubt, as is carrick who done his ankle(i think) against the spanish. rooney should play tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`m off to see United for the first time tomorrow at Old Trafford.

Cant wait.:)

hopefully you'll witness alot of United goals

and a clean sheet the other end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie says Ronaldo ain't going anywhere, so let that be the end of that until the end of the season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

event wrote:
    again, where did i say he wasnt the best winger in the premiership?

I ment i think he's the best winger in the premiership this season 15 goals.
    event wrote:
    i dont get your point though? ashley cole doesnt go to ground when he tackles, so what?

Everytime he makes a defensive tackle he goes to ground and takes the man, watch his next game and count.
    event wrote:
    and they are fast, yeah? SO are you saying ronaldo can only play against slower fullbacks, cant compete against them?

Ronaldo has pace like cole, but cole kicks him all game, its already being said and seeing.

event wrote:
    i stand by my original point
    Whats that, you've yet to see against a world class full back ? If you can me a world class full back in the premiership, cause i dont think there is any personally:rolleyes:

The only way SAF will let Ronaldo leave in the summer is if someone offers silly money and he tell SAF that he wants to leave and not through his agent or the back pages of the papers but to his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

PHB wrote:
    Fergie says Ronaldo ain't going anywhere, so let that be the end of that until the end of the season :)

and bayern said hargreaves isnt going anywhere;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

LOL at the Ronaldo haters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Well not the best performance today but at least it is another 3 points and 1 game less.........main thing is to keep winning even if it means doing it ugly.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

LOL at the Ronaldo haters.
    He was rubbish today in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

he wasn't in the squad today

he wasn't in the squad today

I think he was being ironic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yep. tbh I don't understand how anyone could critisise Ronaldo this season. McGeady will never be as good as Ronaldo so I'd worry about the critisism he'll be getting in the future. :)

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    He was rubbish today in fairness.

He is playing so good I nearly expect him to score when hes not even in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just back from the game there, worst one I've being to this season. Fletcher is so infruating to watch. But it's good that we can comfortably win without getting out of second gear. Great atmosphere at the game and I love that little Evra dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I was impressed with Park today. He's not as skillfull or as noticeable as Ronaldo but his all round contribution is alot better. His passing, tracking back, link up play, not as fast as Ronaldo but still very good pace. I think he could progress into a better player than Ronaldo.

Fletcher is so infruating to watch.

The crowd were really gunning for Fletcher today, but I thought it was pretty unfair. I thought he had a solid game. Showed he was a lot better than O'Shea in that position of playing next to Scholes anyway.
    I think he could progress into a better player than Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is 21, Park is 25, I highly doubt that Park will ever reach the heights of Ronaldo. That said, I think Park is a nice tidy player who is great to have in the squad.

PHB wrote:
    The crowd were really gunning for Fletcher today, but I thought it was pretty unfair. I thought he had a solid game. Showed he was a lot better than O'Shea in that position of playing next to Scholes anyway.

I would Always pick Fletcher over O'Shea........think he has done ok this season but i still believe he is not a Utd player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

PHB wrote:

That's because all he did was lose the ball in the first half. Had a better second and anyone is better then O'Shea!

• Advertisement

tdv wrote:
    I was impressed with Park today. He's not as skillfull or as noticeable as Ronaldo but his all round contribution is alot better. His passing, tracking back, link up play, not as fast as Ronaldo but still very good pace. I think he could progress into a better player than Ronaldo.

First time Ive laughed out loud at something written on this forum.

First time Ive laughed out loud at something written on this forum.

won't say I laughed but it brought a smile to my face none the less. Park is great squad player and consistent enough, but nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Trilla wrote:
    won't say I laughed but it brought a smile to my face none the less. Park is great squad player and consistent enough, but nothing more.

Well I think were still yet to see the best of Park & I think he's had a rough time at United so far injury wise. Don't forget he played a big part in helping PSV to the Semi's of the Champions league a few seaons ago & the same with South Korea in the 2002 World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone else having problems trying to find reasonabley priced flights to any of Uniteds remaining home games?After going to OT for the first time on Saturday,I really have the bug.

I can more or less guarantee myself tickets for the games but flights to both Manchester and Liverpool are fairly steep on all the dates it seems.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Was over the derby earlier in the season and flights were fairly steep. So flew over on Thursday and back on Tuesday for €40. Flew to Liverpool.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

adox wrote:
    Anyone else having problems trying to find reasonabley priced flights to any of Uniteds remaining home games?After going to OT for the first time on Saturday,I really have the bug.

I can more or less guarantee myself tickets for the games but flights to both Manchester and Liverpool are fairly steep on all the dates it seems.:(

Get over a fair bit myself to United, the flights always get priced higher when any of the Premiership teams are playing at home, normally what i do is book months in advance, the saturday morning early flight out and sunday evening home, this allows me an escape if they change kick off time etc
    Getting tickets for uniteds remaining home games this season will be extremely hard and fixture dates and times confirmed, the airlines slap up the prices.
    If going to United , the only other possibility is flying into Leeds Bradford with Ryanair and getting the train up to Manchester, but Ryanair have copped onto this as well and put the price up on that route when united are at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1915592,00.html

More speculation as Ronaldo tells Hugo Viana he wants to leave for Real Madrid. I don't know if this is just posturing to get a new contract or wether he really wants to leave.

Up there with the two best players in the world, Ronaldinho and Deco?? yeah good one Viana. Ive a feelin he's right about Ronaldo though, if it was him that said all that then I'd say he'll go at the right price

Lads, this is going to continue until the end of the season, no real point on commenting on it until somebody important says something about it, i.e. Real, Barca, United, or Ronaldo.

I still feel he can be convinced to sign another contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

the deciding factor is this.... the boy is selfish, all he cares about is getting his world player awards. The only way he will get that is if United perform in the Champions league and he does well. he wont get it on premiership performaces on its own(Henry). I have yet to see him perform well in champions league but if he does and then the team progress far and hopefully win it then he probably will stay. but If he sees another year of the Spanish clubs doin great then its over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

adox wrote:

I'm going off on a tangent here, but I suppose there's no harm asking:o

I know Utd away games are virtually impossible to get tickets for, but I'm currently trying everything to secure 2 tickets to the Chelsea game(I know, I know.......cat in hells chance). Game could be re-arranged, but it doesn't matter. If I get tickets we're going no matter when it's on.

Just wondering if anyone on here knows of any avenues I could try.

P.S. I am not interested in dealing with touts.....that includes licensed travel companies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

just confirmed on SSN, Howard joins Everton on a permanent 5 yr deal. Hardly a surprise. Undisclosed fee. Could be to pay off part of Rooney fee ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

s8n wrote:
    just confirmed on SSN, Howard joins Everton on a permanent 5 yr deal. Hardly a surprise. Undisclosed fee. Could be to pay off part of Rooney fee ??
    Well everyone could see it coming alright. With Kuszack and Foster, he'd be surplus to requirements. I'm delighted he has recovered his form for Everton though, he got some harsh criticism in his second season at United.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well...
    He got some harsh criticism because of some pretty ****ty performances.
    For a while there the guy had a bad back from picking the ball out of his net.
    Though it is nice to see him doing well at Everton, I always liked the guy, even if I didnt like seeing him lining up in a UTD goalie shirt!

Does anyone else think a large part of the reason he signed for Utd is because at the time they signed him, they were trying to market Man U in America, and having an American player would raise interest levels in the club.
    I think the NBA have been using similar tactics for years, bringing in Asians and Europeans to boost foreign sales and ratings etc.

It's easy to forget that Howard was great in his first season at United, but after the Porto match hes never been the same. I think he'll be a great keeper at a club like Everton, and has been pretty impressive so far this year. Pressure does funny things to people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

i remember a poll about ten games into a season that "fans" thought he was he best keeper in the premiership..

It was then that it finally clicked that 80% of posters dont have a clue what they are talking about.

If I'm not mistaken, he won an award that year for best keeper too didn't he? That was before the whole Porto incident though (well actually the award was afterwards, but the vote was before christmas)

Before the Porto incident he looked like a fantastic goalie, but after that, it all went to hell.

Not really surprised at this move, as Foster will be back next season with VDS as no.1
    Think it may be a good move for him and i wish him all the best.

Does this mean he can play for Everton against us later this season, or do the terms of the original loan deal still stand??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

he got premiership keeper of the year in his first season with us. He was excellent that first year.

Good shot stopper, prone to errors from crosses and fumbled a few times. A bit like David James to be fair - very athletic, can perform out of his skin one game then fall apart the next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Not really surprised at this move, as Foster will be back next season with VDS as no.1
    Think it may be a good move for him and i wish him all the best.

Does this mean he can play for Everton against us later this season, or do the terms of the original loan deal still stand??????

AFAIK the deal can't be made official till the summer so his loan agreement is still in place till then..... the contract starts in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

He was never gonna make it as a utd keeper, hes not consistent enough but best of luck to him at everton.

How much did he go for? undisclosed was it?

• Advertisement

said £3m sterling in the bogroll am paper this morning

Advertisement