Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car rumbling when flooring it!

Options
  • 05-01-2007 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a recent 'issue' with my car which i have only noticed a few days ago.
    When I accelerate really hard , i.e on full throttle the whole car starts to rumble and all the junk in my door panel and glove box starts to vibrate. (it does not normally do this and is very very smooth throughout the whole rev range) ..and all my usual passangers have noticed this.

It occurs when flooring it hard after about 4,000 rpm , however i have noticed that its also starting to do this at half throtle anywhere after 2,500rpm. Any ideas what it could be??
    ... Could it be something as simple as the wheels need balancing?? - although the steering on the car is perfect and it doesnt "pull" left or right.

Any thoughts comments appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What car is it??
    WHat size wheels have you got on it??
    Is the car in need of a service or when was it last serviced??

Answers to the above might just help people identify the problem for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If it happens in every gear at this engine speed then its not wheels (imbalance usually only becomes noticible above 80kph). When you rev the car at standstill is it happening? If it happens at this speed in all gears it could be clutch related or possibly an engine mount - in fact it could be lots of things. Is power down at all? I wonder have you a faulty spark plug or ignition coil. What car is it?

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

mazda 323f 2.0 v6 , power isnt down at all (infact it seems up cos of the thundery feeling in the car when i floor it)

It doesnt only happen when i reach above a certain speed, it happens in every gear.

It doesnt happen when i rev the engine in neutral, and it does seem to be coming up through the wheels.

Clutch replaced 4,00 miles ago with new master and slave cylinder and gearbox and engine oil changed recently too

...wheeels are standard 205/50/16

thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Couble be the alignment of the wheels!!
    Where the wheels off the car recently?? If so could the nuts be loose??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would suspect either engine mounts or CV joints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

jonny24ie wrote:
    Couble be the alignment of the wheels!!
    Where the wheels off the car recently?? If so could the nuts be loose??

no wheels have not been off the car since last tyre change, however i would need new tyres in the next couple of months as it seems when i try take off quickly now it wheel spins and bounces (damn FWD) - i think this may have thrown the wheels off balance maybe??

Jonny, any idea how much it would cost to get the wheels tracked and balanced ?? as i'll probably try this first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

C_Breeze wrote:
    no wheels have not been off the car since last tyre change, however i would need new tyres in the next couple of months as it seems when i try take off quickly now it wheel spins and bounces (damn FWD) .

it would also affect yuor drive shafts and their joints ...which could be the problem ...get them looked at.

Its about €50 afaik!! I think you best bet is get tyres sorted and then get it all done togehter to rule it all out!!

If you looking for a decent price on tyres PM me and I will give you a lads details that will sort you out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Could your tyre pressures be slightly low? Or is there a piece of the wheel arch liner hitting a wheel (may be dislodged by a pothole or something)?

Outside chance - could it have anything to do with the road surface you're on? Maybe a newly surfaced road. I know it sounds daft, but sometimes a new road surface can be slighly bumpy when it's first laid down.

Advertisement