Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO World Darts Championships

Options
  • 05-01-2007 11:16am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the BDO World Darts Championships starts tomorrow at the Lakeside. I dont think the standard of the Lakeside is up there with the PDC anymore and it will be strange watching it without Barney there but we will still see some great players in action and Im really looking forward to seeing Van Gerwen play.

The first round draw has been made and here it is:
    Lakeside World Championship draw:
    (16) Co Stompe (Ned) v Jelle Klaasen (Ned)
    (1) Martin Adams (Eng) v Tony O'Shea (Eng)
    (9) Vincent van der Voort (Ned) v Davy Richardson (Eng)
    (8) Ted Hankey (Eng) v Mario Robbe (Ned)
    (12) Mike Veitch (Sco) v Goran Klemme (Swe)
    (5) Mervyn King (Eng) v Paul Gibbs (Eng)
    (13) Shaun Greatbatch (Eng) v Paul Hogan (Eng)
    (4) Tony Eccles (Eng) v Mark Webster (Wal)
    (15) Paul Hanvidge (Sco) v Martin Phillips (Wal)
    (2) Gary Anderson (Sco) v Albertino Essers (Ned)
    (10) Martin Atkins (Eng) v Gary Fenn (Eng) or Winmau World Masters champion
    (7) Darryl Fitton (Eng) v Phil Nixon (Eng)
    (11) Niels de Ruiter (Ned) v Brian Woods (Eng)
    (6) Simon Whitlock (Aus) v Andy Fordham (Eng)
    (14) John Walton (Eng) v Brian Sorensen (Den)
    (3) Michael van Gerwen (Ned) v Gary Robson (Eng) 

Last years Champion Jelle Klassen is unseeded because he has been very poor on the circuit this year and is not in the top 16. He has a tough first round match against Co Stompe and then a potential second round match with BDO number one Martin Adams who is my favourite for the tournament.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

think its a bit ridiculous that they haven't given their champion a seeding - in snooker the world champion is given top seeding in every event.

no Bobby George this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I would have Fordham and King ahead of Adams as my favourite tbh!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

loyatemu wrote:
    no Bobby George this year?

Bobby tried to qualify but he was beaten in the semi-finals of the qualifiers after being 5 legs up on his opponent. But disappointed that Bobby didnt make it but I didnt really expect him to.

Andy Fordham hasnt had a great year at all whereas Adams has been on top form. I would certainly have Van Gerwen ahead of Fordham. King is always dangerous but he never quite fulfills the talent that he has although with rumours around that he is joining the PDC then he may want to out in a huge effort for this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Count Ted Hankey for the title:D I actually like watching him play as he has a very fluent natural throw. Although he hasn't really done well in the last few years..........he reminds me a bit of ronnie baxter. I'm gonna throw a red ten bob note (ie a tenner) eachway on him at 25/1.

Gary Anderson seems to have had a good year, but I think its between Van Gerwen and Adams for the title IMO.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Andy Fordham hasnt had a great year at all whereas Adams has been on top form. I would certainly have Van Gerwen ahead of Fordham. King is always dangerous but he never quite fulfills the talent that he has although with rumours around that he is joining the PDC then he may want to out in a huge effort for this tournament.

Admittedly i've been watching the PDC full time for the last few years and have missed the darts at the lakeside but I never saw too much in Adams.
    Could be wrong though!

Bobby is the John Parrot of Snooker. Will have a crack at it but is happy to join the TV team if he doesn't make it!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Am I missing something? Andy Fordham is 50-1 to win the event with Paddy Power. I don't follow darts much, but I would have thought he would be one of the main contenders.

Am I missing something? Andy Fordham is 50-1 to win the event with Paddy Power. I don't follow darts much, but I would have thought he would be one of the main contenders.

Me too :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As I said already lads, Andy Fordham is no where near the player he was when he won the title and he has had a pretty poor year. I would be very surprised f he gets past the quarter finals and he may not even get that far.

Kingp35 wrote:
    As I said already lads, Andy Fordham is no where near the player he was when he won the title and he has had a pretty poor year. I would be very surprised f he gets past the quarter finals and he may not even get that far.

Really?:eek:
    What happened I wonder?
    If that's the case then maybe Martin Adams has changed too.
    Coz the Adams I remember was much to look at!

Martin Adams was fantastic in his first round win against Tony O Shea who is no push over. Adams won 3-0 in sets and averaged over 100. That has really given the rest of the field somethng to think about.

Good win for Ted "The Count" Hankey as well as he goes through 3-0 and Davy Richardson the qualifier knocked out Van Der Voort 3-1 in sets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

ziggy67 wrote:
    I've never seen Van Gerwen play is he as good as he's made out to be??

He wouldn't be 9/4 If he wasnt. Yeah he Is very good, then again people were saying that about Jella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

He's only 17 and the two times Barney has played him Gerwen won. And the two match's weren't that long ago.
    ziggy67 wrote:
    I like Adams as a player but i can't stand the way the BBC fawn over him, especially that twat who commentates that used to be on Bullseye!

Mate you know how they are. Were gonna win Euro, were gonna win the world cup, were gonna win the ashes :rolleyes:

I am not one bit surprsied Kalasen lost. Tbh I wasnt impressed with him at all last year even though he won the tournament. He was very lucky and didnt have a high average in any of his matches. He has had a poor year on the circuit this year and maybe now we are seeing the true Jelle Klaasen.

Big surprise to see Van Gerwen go out in the first round to Gary Robson. It has to be said that Robson is a good player but Van Gerwen was not on form at ala. Maybe that can be put down to the fact that he had never played on the Lakeside stage before but he missed far too many doubles an Robson punished him. Interestingthing is that he said in his interview after the match that he would be back next year so that could rule out a move to the PDC.

HEALTH SCARE FOR FORDHAM
    Monday 8th January 2007

Popular former world champion Andy Fordham has had to pull out for this year's tournament at the Lakeside after being taken ill prior to his first-round match.

Fordham, who won the title in 2004 after beating Mervyn King, was due to take on Australia's Simon Whitlock at Frimley Green on Monday, however the 44-year-old was taken to hospital after suffering breathing difficulties.

This is not the first time Fordham has struggled with health problems, with The Viking having to pull out of his 'unification' clash with PDC champion Phil Taylor in November 2004 after suffering an asthma attack.

BDO spokesman Robert Holmes said: "Andy has been stabilised in the ambulance and the ECG reading showed no problems, but he has a severe chest infection.

"He has been taken to Frimley Park Hospital, where he will be kept in overnight for them to keep an eye on him. His wife Jenny has gone with him and their son and daughter are on their way."

Fordham's first-round opponent Whitlock added: "I hope Andy is okay.

"Olly Croft (of the British Darts Organisation) came up to me half an hour before the match and said Andy wasn't fit to play, that he was having trouble breathing.

"I was really looking forward to the match. I've been up since 2.30am and haven't had any sleep since then, just preparing to play, and obviously I'm a little disappointed that it's off because I've a lot of friends over here supporting me.

"But as long as Andy is okay, that's the main thing."

Bad news for Fordham. His health seems to be getting worse these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Any idea where theres a darts livescore link King? That official BDO website is pants.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Bad news for Fordham. His health seems to be getting worse these days.

Not to be cruel here but the man is seriously overweight!
    I'm not surprised he has health issues. Please god he'll be ok!:(

I have been looking for one myself pighead but cant find any. All of the BDO sites are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Kingp35 wrote:
    I have been looking for one myself pighead but cant find any. All of the BDO sites are useless.
    No worries, In-Running in Betfair will have to do. I assume the BBC will be showing more of the darts as the weeks progress. A crappy highlights package late at night just isn't on.

Well what they usually do is show about an hour or so a day for the big games and then that highlights show in the small hours of the morning. They are useless because if the match that they are showing during that hour is not over they will end their coverage anyway. They show all the games on BBC interactive which isnt much use to most of us. They do show both semi-finals and the final live though. If you have Eurosport pighead then they show the games as well.

As for Fordham yes he is dangerously overweight and should seriously be thinking of losing some of it. Thats too health scares he is after having now recently so hopefully he will cop on to what he has to do.

• Advertisement

Did Eurosport always show the darts?
    I don't remember them being on before!

No I think this year is the first year as far as I know. Its not British Eurosport now, its the main Eurosport.

Check it out on the World Darts Federation site.
    http://dartswdf.com/aa_darts/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

A good day for the predictable accum...the 2-9 about Whitlock won't change the outcome too much.

Kingp35 wrote:
    No I think this year is the first year as far as I know. Its not British Eurosport now, its the main Eurosport.

Check it out on the World Darts Federation site.
    http://dartswdf.com/aa_darts/index.html

What one do Chorus Cable customers receive coz that's what I have and the darts were on it tonite!

The thing that annoys me about Eurosport is that they seem to have one commentator for all sports!:eek:
    Not sure about the commentator for the darts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Kingp35 wrote:
    Your not wrong there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I reckon de Ruiter could be a surprise contender this year, He whitewashed Woods despite woods higher average, perhaps the 160 finish just impressed me :)

BBC Sport wrote:
    Ill Fordham 'stable' in hospital

Fordham has suffered from health problems
    Former world champion Andy Fordham is expected to remain in hospital "for a few more days" after being taken ill at the Lakeside World Championship.
    Fordham forfeited his first-round match against Australia's Simon Whitlock after suffering breathing difficulties.

He was taken to an ambulance on a stretcher and his condition was described as "stable" on Tuesday.

"Andy has fluid on his right lung and it will be drained," said British Darts Organisation spokesman Robert Holmes.

There were fears initially that the problem was related to Fordham's heart, but he actually has a severe chest infection.

In November 2004, the 26-stone Fordham suffered an asthma attack during a break in his 'unification' clash with PDC champion Phil Taylor and had to pull out when losing 5-2.

606: DEBATE
    I wish him a very speedy recovery

FC
    606: Have your say

Fordham lost four stone in weight after appearing on television programme "Celebrity Fit Club" but the commercial commitments he undertook after his World Championship win affected his form.

Whitlock, who beat Fordham 3-0 in the first round last year, will now face Niels de Ruiter in the second round but the 37-year-old was more concerned with the welfare of Fordham.

"I hope Andy is OK. Olly Croft (of the British Darts Organisation) came up to me half an hour before the match and said Andy wasn't fit to play, that he was having trouble breathing," he said.

"I was really looking forward to the match. I've been up since 2.30am and haven't had any sleep since then, just preparing to play.

"Obviously I'm a little disappointed that it's off because I've a lot of friends over here supporting me.

"But as long as Andy is okay, that's the main thing."

Gald to hear he is ok. Still I think he really needs to lose more wieight!

Big time! (Excuse the pun!)
    Over 20 stone! Jesus Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I do have the red button, so I think BBC's coverage is very good.

Sad for the Viking that he had to pull out - but I was expecting him to be well beaten. Good news that he should be alright. And presumably anybody who bet on him will get their money back - which is the best result they could have got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

The way Hankey played last night, Adams will murder him. Lets hope he spends all day on the practice boards today and tomorrow ! Would like to see "the count" get further.

Advertisement