Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO World Darts Championships

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

In fairness to Hankey he did well to come back from 2-0 down. I thought if he went behind he might collapse.

Adams though is looking the strongest player in the tournament. But Hankey should give him a game.

Meryyn King and Tony Eccles progressed as expected. Eccles yet to lose a set, but hasnt had to set the world on fire in doing so. It seems Merv has been getting into some more trouble - not sure if there is anything in it or if Veitch was just having a whinge.

King defend vocal approach v Veitch

Elsewhere it seems King has not entered the Dutch Open which takes place early in the year, thus further fuelling speculation that he may be joining the PDC. Incidentally van Gerwen, Klaasen and vd Voort are all in the draw, but if we remember last year Barney did not transfer until after this event.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I didnt see any of the matches last night but i heard that Adams wasnt at his best either. If Hankey and Adams noth play on top of their game then it has the potential to be a very high quality game. I said at the start of the tournament that I think Adams might win it so im gonna stick with that. Am I right in saying if both King and Adams get through then they play each other in the semi-finals?

As for King he was up to his usual tricks but I think that maybe Veitch is blowing it a bit out of proportion.

Van Gerwen said in his interview after he lost that he would be back in Lakeside next year so it seems unlikley that he will be joining the PDC this year anyway but I agree it is looking very likely that King will be making the switch.

Correct, the semi is Adams/Hankey v King/Eccles.

Not sure what to read into the Klaasen and van Gerwen denials. Barney also denied it this time last year - he now claims he was undecided back then, which is probably what the lads would claim now if it turns out they do transfer.

Every Lakeside player has signed a contract whereby seemingly each agree to play in the Lakeside the following year, or the following 3 years if you win. (Rumour has it that last year Barney didnt sign it).

However, it seems that people reckon it doesnt carry any weight because of restraint of trade legislation, and whether the BDO would go to the trouble and expense of taking someone to court to enforce it may be doubtful.

The 3 Dutch lads and King are all members of the KeukenCurrent (or summit like that!) sponsorship team. The rumour I've heard is that they are paying the 4 of them €70,000 each to play the PDC circuit, but that none of them are to admit it until after the world championships.

Also Darryl Fitton has confirmed he's been offered a deal to go to the PDC - and he's thinking about it

Fitton set for PDC switch?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thats interesting about the contract that the four lads have supposedly got. If thats the case then it would be very hard for them to turn it down because that is quite alot of money for a darts player. As for Daryl Fitton moving over, I think Barry Hearn is trying to get him because Fitton is an obvious crowd pleaser. Fitton is a good player but I dont think he is at the same level as the likes of King and Van Gerwen. Van der Voort is also a strange one because I dont think he is at that level either.

The PDC really are taking most of the good BDO players now which will really hurt the BDO. You cant blame the players though because the PDC is far more lucrative than the BDO.

On a side note, where the hell do you get all your info Rooster?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,28910-2541597,00.html

The Roosters info seems to be spot on. Looks like the boys will announce they are leaving on Monday. BDO's future looks fcuked.

• Advertisement

I agree Pighead, the BDO really is screwed now. The standard of player is dropping dramatically now that all of the top players are jumping ship to the PDC. If im honest though I am happy about this because Sky coverage of darts is second to none and they have brought us the Premier League and pumped money into developing the sport. Also it is much better to have all of the worlds best players in the one organisation so as to give us the best possible standard of darts.

It will be interesting though to see how quickly the trio can move up the PDC rankings. I dont think they will be doing it as fast as Barney did it. Also which of the three will be given that final Premier League spot. Interesting stuff.

Obviously bad news for the BDO - not quite sure if I'd go as far as "screwed". I suppose a lot depends on whether it creates a cascade of players to transfer.

Will this help make Darryl Fitton's mind up that the PDC is the place to be? Also Gary Anderson, Tony O'Shea and Tony Eccles have considered (or at least refused to rule out) moving during the last couple of years. And I'd say you could add Gary Robson and Simon Whitlock also.

Probably of most importance is the TV deals. If the BBC and/or SBS stop televising the Lakeside, there'd certainly be a massive exodus.

Well the reason I say that they are screwed is because young up and coming players will see that all the best players are in the PDC, the best tournaments are in the PDC and more money is available in the PDC. There is not alot going for the BDO at this moment in time.

With the PDC having signed a deal with dutch TV for the next 5 years and now all the main dutch players will be in the PDC then its safe to say that the dutch darts fans will be turning their attention to the PDC rather than the BDO.

Maybe screwed is slightly too strong a term but the outlook is bleak for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

My word almost a walkout from Merv before his Quarter Final match. Is he staying or is he going? Its kinda hard to tell from this report. One things for sure, the lads not happy!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/oth...rts/6254179.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Double O

I cant stand the BBC coverage(no digital). 2 days ago they showed highlites of the Veitch v King match. They showed the 4th set, then they just cut and said that King went on to win 4-2!? It really is poor(barr J Part), commentary very poor too i think. Cant beat Sid and John Gwen.

King was very unhappy after his match. The head of the BDO was quick to slaughter the PDC in his reply. Is he going???

The winner will surely come from the Adams King game. The other players are fairly average I think.

One final thing. Is Ray Stubbs the best that the BBC has? The man doesnt have a clue, no personality and not a clue about any sport he does. Thats my rant over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Have to agree with you. Their coverage is desperate. IF you haven't got digital you get just over an hour of live coverage and then tune in at 11:20 for a crap highlights package.

I have the digital, and while you get to see the matches live, you don't get any after match coverage, no Ray Stubbs or Bobby George, Just a live shot of the Lakeside venue, while they wait for the next game to start.

The PDC is so musch better and more entertaining to watch. Is it just me or does it just look like the people in the Lakeside are just their to eat pie and chips, do a bit of nitting and are waiting for the bingo to start.

No matter what, they are going to end up with a crap final. It wont compare to the Barney/Taylor final (I know, I know what final can), but really the BDO is a joke. Van Gerwin should jump to the PDC, theirs no point being their, unless you want to win a worthless world title (I'm sure Martin Adams is hoping he can finally win something that doesn't have the commentators just calling him "England Captain")

Anyway, roll on the Premier League of Darts, can't wait to see some proper darts and hear some good commentary.

I have to agree with you as well lads. The BBC coverage is nothing short of shocking. I was watching the Adams v Hankey match last night and it was 3-3 in sets and in the middle of a leg where Hankey was throwing for double top to win the leg and they cut their coverage! They didnt even show us the end of the bloody leg! Whats the point in showing the match if they are going to do that rubbish.

John Part is the only good thing about the BBC coverage, all the others are very boring and I agree that Ray Stubbs has no personality at all. Bobby George isnt too bad but he does talk some rubbish. Everything about Sky is better. Dave Clarke is a great presenter, Bristowe and Harrington are good pundits and then Sky have four very good commentators and the legend that is Sid Waddel. Their camera angles and the whole presentation is just very well done compared to the shambles that is the BBC coverage. The BBC coverage is actually hurting the BDO as its turning darts fans in England and Ireland away from the BDO.

I agree that the winner will come from the Adams and King match but Robson could be a dark horse.

The whole Mervin King thing is very interesting. It was pretty much known that he was signing for the PDC on Monday but now after his outburst last night im not so sure. Its the same old BDO v PDC argument and I think its a case of the BDO now realising that the PDC are the organisation to be in these days. If King, Van Gerwen and Klaasen all sign for the PDC on Monday as expected then the BDO really are in trouble. Daryl Fitton is also considering moving to the PDC.

King

Robert Holmes (of the BDO) comments are interesting:
    "Mervyn told me (earlier) he would rather pack up darts than play for the PDC, that he was staying with the BDO. We respect him and if he has told me that, I believe him.

"He is now contracted to come back here next year and if he didn't, the BDO would have to take legal action. That's what the contract is all about. But we obviously don't want to do that because Merv has given us his assurance."

It was at least a year ago when Merv told him he would rather pack up darts than join the PDC!!

Very interesting that they are threatening legal action. First of all you need money to bring an action, and there is doubts about whether the BDO has any. I'd love to see the contract to determine how strong it is, but my own feeling is that as there is no salary/consideration paid to King under it, that its not very strong and any compensation the BDO might win would be nominal.

King has not said he's not going to the PDC - which would be the easy thing to do, like Klaasen and MvG did. And there's no way he could say that he is moving while he's still in the tournament. Apparently he told Ray Stubbs something like "ask me that again and I'll never answer another question from you"! He was in a fierce bad mood for most of yesterday! I dunno if it means anything but it was interesting that Andy Jenkins and his wife were sitting beside Merv's wife and supporting Merv during the match.

I think Merv will move, but I don't think its a certainty.

BBC

I can only imagine your frustration at missing the end of Adams v Hankey. I think we have to remember that darts is a minority sport and the BBC is the national broadcaster so its not easy to show hours of darts at peak times during the week. I think they'd be better off if the matches started an hour before coverage starts - better to show slightly deferred highlights to ensure you get the finish of the match than getting hung up on live coverage.

In my opinion the BBC have the best commentator of them all in John Part. But Sky have the next best in John Gwynne, and overall Sky edge it in that department.

I really like listenging to Rod Harrington, Eric Bristow and Bobby George giving their analysis. I believe you have to understand they are each biased in certain areas, but at least they always give their own honest opinions and they're not afraid to criticise players - they are very worth hearing even if you dont agree with them. If I was ranking them at this moment, it'd be in the order I've listed them, but I like them all.

I prefer Ray Stubbs to Dave Clarke. IMO Clarke is too wooden and lacks a bit of charisma. He's still good, but I prefer Stubbs.

Sky's overall presenation is definitely better. But as a dedicated sports channel I'd expect it to be. I'm reasonably happy with BBC's coverage. But darts fans need digital tv.

Final

I disagree with the comment "No matter what, they are going to end up with a crap final". We have to remember that in the last 10 years in probably 7 of the years the BDO had the best final (because of Taylor walkovers). Certainly the BDO could end up with a crap final. However, as Kingp35 mentioned, if Robson makes it then it certainly won't be a crap final.

In the Sep 2005 World Darts Trophy (a major event on the BDO calendar with live Dutch TV coverage, good prizemoney and a similar format to Lakeside) the final was between Mervyn King and Gary Robson. I didnt see it but it was supposed to be a great game, and Robson prevalied by 6 sets to 4. I'm not sure about the others in the bottom half, but if Robson makes the final I'm sure we'll have a very good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

Have to agree with what you're saying rooster,think you got it spot on about BBC coverage.Can be very frustrating though.
    Apparently Merv King turned up to practice for his game and all he got was questions about joining the pdc from fans,players and officials some wouldn't get out of his ear.Thats the last thing needed when your preparing for a big game.Doesn't excuse what came later though.Won't be a picnic for him if he joins the pdc,i think he's made plenty of enemys there over the years.Could make for some very interesting games if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

De Ruiter and Robson has been a pretty good match. One cracker of a leg where De ruiter was on for his 9 dart finish, missed it then Robson put away a 121 finish

and now robson to save the match needs bull and he gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Double O

De Ruiter and Robson has been a pretty good match. One cracker of a leg where De ruiter was on for his 9 dart finish, missed it then Robson put away a 121 finish

and now robson to save the match needs bull and he gets it.

Once again BBC coverage stoped and i couldnt watch it!! have to wait till 12:15 to watch rubbish highlights! Get Ray Stubbs off TV.

Martin Adams versus Mervin King was a good game today. You have to give it to King, he never gives up and it looked as if e was gonna take the game after coming back from 5-2 down. Adams held his nerve though and is through to the final. He will play the 150-1 outsider Nixon in the final as he beat the young dutch player De Ruiter.

Advertisement