Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway, here i come

Options
  • 05-01-2007 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

I signed up for the science day cycle to galway on the 2nd of february in college a couple of months ago and am beginning to get worried about doing nothing to prepare so i decided a journal is in order to keep me focused.
    I have been doing the odd random cycle here and there but seeing as its in exactly 4 wks its time to get the finger out.
    They did say that, as it isn a competition, training for soccer etc will do, BUT, this happens to be the season i decided im gonna take off rugby, brilliant.
    I have decided that from today on, im going to do SOME form of exercise every morning/day, be it a cycle, a jog, a gym session, or even just pushups and situps.
    My usual cycle workout is a 10-12 km cycle, followed by 2 laps of a running field and then the cycle home again, another 10-12 km.
    This is only a start so i hope to improve on it.
    My diet isnt really a prob cos i eat quite well anyway, i.e.
    Porridge or shredded wheat with honey and a banana for brekkie, two sandwiches made with wholemeal vogel bread and no butter/mayo during the day, plenty of fruit, a bit of chocolate, a healthy dinner, and toast and milk before bed etc.
    So, now that the basics are down, time to start with the training.
    I did do the cycle workout on wednesday but was only able for one lap, and i did say i was starting properly today, so ill take it as the introduction, or preparation if you will.
    I done the cycle workout this morning and managed to squeeze out 2 laps. So now im home for a shower, a nice sambo and into work for the next 8 hours, yippee.
    Ill update tomorrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

Decided to go to the gym today to vary my training a little so i dont get bord and give up.
    Done 15 minutes of an intense hill program on the bike, 10 minutes of the same program on a cross trainer, and 8 minutes of interval on the treadmill, and every one has a 3 minute cool down program afterwards aswel.
    It was tough and my legs were hangin off me afterwards but i soldiered through it.
    Didnt want to spend too long for fear of overtraining but hope im not undertraining, lol:D
    I just realised, this training completely goes against the training i want to be doing, ie bulking up a little.

Didnt do any exercise today but i dont really mind, six days a week of exercise is defo enough to do some good, and plus i was on my feet in work for the last 8 hours anyway.
    Plan to get up and do the usual cycle in the morning on my newly acquired bike:D

Woke up to an absolutely miserable monday morning, hasnt stopped raining since i got up. Decided i would give cycling in that rain a miss for today and didnt have the car so no way of getting to the gym. I have it tomorrow though so i will go there if its horrible again and do a good aerobic workout. Anyways i decided to do some bodyweight exercises this morning to make up for this.
    I started with:
    5x10 squats,
    5x10 Hip raises with my feet on an exercise ball,
    Done 5x10 of a superset of push ups and crunches changing on every set,
    Then 5x10 of a superset of dips and crunches changing on every set,
    Then 2x10 of crunches on an exercise ball,
    Finally some core exercises; Bridges and 2x10 of back extensions.

Today was a pretty nice day, well, at least the morning was.
    Done the usual route today, out to the running track, managed two laps a bit easier today so i walked a third lap. My legs still felt like jelly climbing onto the bike tho and the cycle home was a little slower than the journey out.
    Managed to do it about five minutes quicker than last time, even with the extra lap of the running field.

Even though this morning is an absolutely fabulous morning for a good cycle, i was just not bothered one bit to go on one. I decided to stick with the same bodyweight workout as monday morning with 2 sets of reversecrunches thrown in aswel.
    Hopefully tomorrow isnt a s***e morning now so i can go on a cycle!!

• Advertisement

Woke up to a fairly gloomy looking morning so i decided i would make it a gym day seeing as i had the car.
    Started with 20 minutes on level 12 of the random program, which got fairly f***in tough, then jumped straight on the cross trainer for 10 minutes of the same program, finished off with a 5 minute jog on a serious incline. Again, each program had either a 5 minute or 3 minute cool down straight after. Staggered out to the car for the drive home,lol:p

Advertisement