Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pale Imitations

Options
  • 05-01-2007 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

A few years ago I read Orwells "1984" and "i Am Legend" by Richard Matheson, which are 2 of my favourite books.

What struck me most about these 2 books was how they seem to be (for want of a better word) "originals" that have been taken off by many different mediums.
    After finishing both it seemed i'd seen so many movies, shows and read other books (written after they were published) that had tried to make a similar point, but none ever really suceeded.

Its as if all are just a pale imitation.

This included movies to this day such as V for Vendetta (including the comic book).

Has anybody found this with other old books they've read ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

have to tried brave new world and we? both written before 1984 and you can see where orwell got some of his inspiration from, though obviously he put a lot of his own craft into it aswell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah Huxley as an author really gave a lot to help Orwell's visions to fruition. While I wouldn't say that Orwell copied him, obviously that would be foolish, but I thinK Orwell gives a nod to Huxley from a newer generation to an older.

Advertisement