Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK imports to Ire & UK resident.

Options
  • 05-01-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello

I’m wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I am originally from Ireland but currently live in the UK and am thinking of buying a new car here for my brother who lives in Ireland to take advantage of the cheaper cars and VRT rates!

What should I do? I’m thinking of buying the car in my name (not my brothers) register is and keep it in the UK for 6 months and them I can take it back to Ireland. Once I get the car through customs (is that difficult?) and get it registered in Ireland will I be okay? Can I then get it insured in Ireland for both of us so he can drive it? I’m not planning on moving back for another year or so yet.

What should I look out for, if anyone has any tips it would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can only bring a car in here VRT free if you are permanently relocating.

The VRO's know all the tricks and scams.

Don't even bother trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 antkeane1980

Yes I guess, just need to clarify what 'permanently relocating' means. By no means am I trying to trick or scam.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Your brother will still have to pay VRT upon importing the car to Ireland, but it should still be cheaper in total than buying the car in Ireland, and you normally will get a better spec on the car in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 antkeane1980

But, and I’m trying to find out if this is legal, if I insure the car in both our names in Ireland for a year say, and keep the car registered in my name for a year in Ireland no VRT has to be paid. Them I can “sell” it to him on paper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

I'm actually planning on doing something similar. I'll probably be moving to the UK about March or so for a year or so. I'll buy a car and drive it over there. Sometime before I decide to move back I'll register, tax and insure it in Ireland and return to the UK with it. Then bring it back to Ireland with me when I return and sell it.
    There's no problem with it. I'd only worry if you were to pop up doing this more than once.

• Advertisement
Advertisement