Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to hire a van for the weekend?

Options
  • 05-01-2007 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I need to hire a van, Transit or similar, for the weekend.
    Can anyone recommend anywhere and suggest prices? Will need insurance also as I'll need my car insured at the same time, hence I can't transfer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

europcar will rent vans, with insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

Here's an idea, ring a few car hire companies and ask them, then go with the best deal.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Can't suggest any in Ireland (I recently used Thrifty in Cambridge :)) but do you want a regular Transit or long-wheel base?

I'd recommend the LWB as it is a good bit bigger but if you're not used to van driving make sure you have someone with you to help you negotiate tricky turnabouts or reversing. I never realised how much I rely on my rear-view mirror until I drove the Transit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Tom Walsh Motors in Baldoyle do a weekend special for a VAN
    http://www.tomwalshmotors.ie/van_carhire.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm just about to launch a business doing various tasks with a van. Removals, collections, deliveries etc. It should be up and running in about 1 week.

Just to let you know, since you have a car policy, a temporary transfer will only be allowed on another car. To get insured on a van will cost you approx €150 for the time you need it. This is because it will require a whole new category of vehicle on your policy and you will therefore need a temporary policy for a van.

*This is with Hibernian for definite and probably all insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Try Enterprise.

Cormie - I've never had a bother transferring insurance to a van. That said, I haven't had to in a while. With FBD, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Try Avis aswell.

http://www.avis.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

want2play wrote:
    Here's an idea, ring a few car hire companies and ask them, then go with the best deal.:rolleyes:

Many thanks for all your help Richard. Where would I be without the internet to ask for recommendations, only to be recommended to try the phone.
    Bravo!:cool:

I was asking if anybody would recommend one company over another.

Enterprise were recommended to me but after trudging through their automated phone menu I spoke to a guy who tried to put me through to an office that I told him did not answer. Then the phone just rang out, strangely enough.

I got one booked with vanrentals.ie (Murphy's trucks in Ballymount) but I'm not sure if €140 +vat for Sat. morning to Mon. morning is reasonable/dear/ripoff. Extra for insurance btw.

Anyway, thanks to all the non-'tards who posted helpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

milltown wrote:
    €140 +vat for Sat. morning to Mon. morning is reasonable/dear/ripoff. Extra for insurance btw

Sounds ok. Out of interest, how much is insurance and is it 0 excess (i.e. if you cause damage it won't cost you anything)?

Insurance is €35/day fully comp with a €1600 excess :eek:

Not really much choice. I wouldn't have my own car sitting at home for the weekend uninsured while I'm out and about in the van.

• Advertisement

Who's insuring you? Vanrentals or your current insurance company?

Fey, that's interesting, I wonder is it just Hibernian who do it, or just FBD who don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

That price from Murphys is very typical for the weekend.

I'll be using them soon if they work out cheaper than O'Briens in Naas.

I'll be needing a truck style van with trailer lift which are a little more expensive

I've used a guy in Kilcullen before. It was €120/day and I had no problem transferring my insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Used murphys before but used my own insurance. Very helpful and friendly.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    That price from Murphys is very typical for the weekend.

I'll be using them soon if they work out cheaper than O'Briens in Naas.

I'll be needing a truck style van with trailer lift which are a little more expensive

I've used a guy in Kilcullen before. It was €120/day and I had no problem transferring my insurance

You obviously need a cat C license to hire that yeah?

Insurance is from Murphy's/Vanrental.ie

They are very good to deal with. Dealt with them a bit in the past for truck parts and DOE tests.

milltown wrote:
    Insurance is €35/day fully comp with a €1600 excess :eek:

Drive safely! :D
    milltown wrote:
    Not really much choice. I wouldn't have my own car sitting at home for the weekend uninsured while I'm out and about in the van.

Indeed. Should someone torch it, it's gone. Happened to the dude I bought the Rover 75 from

Did you think about these alternatives:

1. If Mrs milltown has a car that is worth a lot less than yours AND* if she is a named driver on your policy, could she transfer insurance to your car for the weekend and leave her own car uninsured?

2. You could lock up your car securily somewhere, e.g. gated business park with 24/7 security

* needed for fully comp insurance iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I know with Hibernian you can do a temporary additional vehicle insurance.I did it a few months ago when I rented a van for moving house. That way both the car and the van can be insured at the same time. I know some insurance companies are funny about that, especially if you are using the van for business reasons. They did ask what it was for I remember, maybe that gave them an indication as to what to charge, it was €20 for the w/e. AVIS did the van for €90 per day but gave it to me for the w/e (for 1 day rate) as their offices were closed Saturday afternoon & all day Sunday!!
    Hope it's not too late for insurance angle.

I know with Hibernian you can do a temporary additional vehicle insurance.I did it a few months ago when I rented a van for moving house. That way both the car and the van can be insured at the same time

That of course is the ideal solution. Provided it costs less than €35 a day, or more importantly, does not come with a huge excess

Advertisement