Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exporting cars from Ire to the UK - VAT Q's

Options
  • 05-01-2007 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello

I’m wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I am originally from Ireland but currently live in the UK and am thinking of buying a new car here for my brother who lives in Ireland to take advantage of the cheaper cars and VRT rates!

Does anybody know if I buy a car in Ireland for export (i.e. don’t pay the VRT) can I get out of paying the VAT as well.

If I import the car to the UK I’ll have to pay their VAT so I don’t wanna pay both.

I’ve done some research and cars are actually cheaper in Ire if you take the taxes off, so it would be cheaper to buy a car for export in Ireland and take it over here, it’s a lot of paper work though.

What should I look out for, if anyone has any tips it would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Wow, this is a good question.

Every car in this country has the regsitration tax, you would need to find out if you get can get it refunded or not.

Vat is only payable in the EU once between member states, need to find out as well, if you can ask the Irish dealer not to charge you Vat and you declar that you will pay the Vat in the UK at the UK rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 antkeane1980

thanks for that, i'll look into it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

VRT is non refundable.

If a car is bought new "for export" it isn't charged. VAT isn't charged either.

A new car going to the UK from ireland is subject to VAT in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Hello

I’m wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I am originally from Ireland but currently live in the UK and am thinking of buying a new car here for my brother who lives in Ireland to take advantage of the cheaper cars and VRT rates!

Does anybody know if I buy a car in Ireland for export (i.e. don’t pay the VRT) can I get out of paying the VAT as well.

If I import the car to the UK I’ll have to pay their VAT so I don’t wanna pay both.

I’ve done some research and cars are actually cheaper in Ire if you take the taxes off, so it would be cheaper to buy a car for export in Ireland and take it over here, it’s a lot of paper work though.

What should I look out for, if anyone has any tips it would be great.

Thanks

Sorry OP, but i'm a bit confused:) Yes you can buy new car in Ireland, get ZZ temporary plates and drive the car to the Uk, no VRT to pay, you will have to pay VAT but only one, not both (not sure which one).

How will this help your brother living in Ireland? when you bring the car (UK reg'd) to Ireland to give/sell to your Brother, he will have to pay VRT as an Irish Resident, and if the car is newer then 6 months old and/or 6000Kms, he will have to pay Irish VAT on top of the UK VAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ya I'm confused aswell as to how it well help your brother...you maybe, but not him

The spec on the Irish cars is also crap compared to UK ones, so you'll lose out there

• Advertisement
Advertisement