Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pantera

• 05-01-2007 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Started listening to my Pantera cds lately and am once again blown away by the brilliance of their music. Such a classic metal band..R.i.p. Dimebag Darrell
    A true innovator of great guitar riffs! Just wondering what is everyones favourite Pantera tune..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

yeah a great band, Anselmo went a bit off the rails and seems a bit of a shatered man over his "I want to beat him .." comments about Dimebag before his death.
    fave song : Great southern trendkill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

Yes. I have to agree. Pantera were a truly brilliant band who came along at just the right time... This weather, I reckon Anselmo is probably spending most of his money on therapy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Yes they were great. And great live too.
    Fave song : This Love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I wish I'd had the chance to see Pantera live. The nearest I got was catching Down at Download 2006. Phil was in great form that day. In my opinion he's a great front man. He uses focused aggression and his dry wit to keep the audience on their toes.
    My favourite Pantera song is Becoming off Far Beyond Driven. That was the first Pantera album I ever bought. It's one of quite a few albums that I have on both cd and on tape :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PlatonicDisease

Pantera will forever be my pride n joy for loads of reasons. I reckon the awesome foursome Southern cowboys of American Metal were my first real exposure to ton-heavy, dizzyingly outstanding extreme metal; a genre that I still regard as my most favourite for all times.

Dime's breathtaking, mesmerisingly tasteful playing had totally won me over from the start. I'll forever miss and mourn the tragic passing of one of my greatest guitar heroes. Phil Anselmo has always been among my most admired metal vocalist/frontman. He was ultra-cool by every standard in my book as a lead singer and he added a whole lot to Pantera's powerful appeal and success, certainly for this fan. Vinnie Paul and Rex Brown are not to be under-rated by any means. Vinnie's rollickingly robust and amazingly versatile drumming is truly memorable stuff for me. And Rex's sexy, superb bass playing made Pantera sound even more heavy and menacing. Pantera was a frontrunner in making their distinctively compelling groove-thrash sound so wildly popular and so widely imitated by the wanna-bes they inspired. I hugely credit and admire Pantera, along with the best DM bands, as keeping the flame of authentic American Metal burning the brightest thru the 1990s, a decade that otherwise gave us shiploads of the most abominable music. Pantera never compromised with their musical identity nor abandoned their ambitions by diluting or seriously stripping down their sound and style in pursuit of commercial glory that many of their contemporaries clearly did. Lemme come out and say this at the risk of probably inflaming many guys out here on these boards: Pantera had by far the absolutely superior guitarist, an immensely better singer, many more of the coolest riffs and leads, much more impressive basslines and drumming than latter-day alt-rock, radio-pop peddlers a.k.a Metallica. That is just one classic example that instantly springs to mind.

I adore all the Pantera studio albums and the one-off live release. Truly sad that they had to split that way and then Dime's tragic demise and Phil going downhill from then on. Almost impossible for me to choose a 'favourite' Pantera song. Can't do it. But I can probably say that 'Far Beyond Driven' and 'The Great Southern Trendkill' are my all-time two best Pantera records. The other three studio ones are not far behind. Like I said I love all that they gave us in their brief career.

To malice_: I too lament the fact that I never had the good fortune to ever watch Pantera live. And both the Down albums of Phil's solo career were fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Never could get into them myself. Whats their best album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

BostonB wrote:
    Never could get into them myself. Whats their best album.

Cowboys From Hell is a good starting point.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Favourite songs...either Cowboys from Hell or Walk

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

Cowboys From Hell is a good starting point.
    a very good starting point. as for their best, nothing beats Vulgar Display of Power for me. walk down any crowded street while listening to that album, and i guarantee NO-ONE will get in your way :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

One of the my favourite bands, If i could see one band it would be them.The nearest i've been is seeing them all is in their seperate bands. Dime and Vinnie playing for Damageplan in 04(where i got the chance to hear them play walk:D :D ) and Down in 06 where i got to meet Phil and Rex after the gig which was fairly mindblowing. Phil is an awesome frontman, with some very inspiring lyrics for metal band.

I wouldn't be able to pick a favourite song, too many good ones to pick from and i love the unique sound each of their album have...i hate my bro always rubbing it in my face cause he seen them live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Excellent band :)
    Favourite song: Walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Saw 'em in the SFX in '93(I think), and was sitting ON THE SIDE OF THE STAGE near Dimebag(I was allowed to do this by security cos I couldn't see s**t from sitting in my wheelchair. It was an awesome gig!!!

Favourite song: Walk

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ooh, I haven't listened to Pantera in quite a while now. I must now give Vulgar Display of Power a spin, which is my favourite Pantera album. Don't really have a favourite song though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Album: Probably Vulgar Display of Power
    Track: The Art of Shredding - wish I'd seen them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LeoSeine

Does anyone know of any biographies written about the band? I've checked around and can only find one un-authorised..

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Seriously good band, so tight. Had a ticket to the tattoo the planet show in the point but then the whole sept 11th thing happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Oh no, not another "I Love Pantera/Dimebag" thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Oh no, not another unconstructive post... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

They're going to happen all the time whether you like it or not, may aswell roll with it.

Pantera Rock and Dimebag was a god. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

I dont really care :) enjoy it! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

LeoSeine wrote:
    Does anyone know of any biographies written about the band? I've checked around and can only find one un-authorised..

Linky??if ya have one...i've never seen any before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LeoSeine

Beekay wrote:
    Linky??if ya have one...i've never seen any before

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=62-1842400819-0

this is an audio biography..cant find anything else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

I'm gonna go with "The Sleep" as my favourite song. It'll probably be something else in a week or so anyway but sure howandever. It's just the way it goes from beautifully calm to viscious in the blink of an eye (pardon the pun). And that solo, dear God!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭thebourke

saw them at the point 92 supporting megadeth..they bluew megadeth of stage..the place went nuts when they played this love..also got to meet them at the virgin megastore before the gig...still have the singed poster of the whole band..VILGAR DISPLAY OF POWER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kopman

Favourite songs...either Cowboys from Hell or Walk
    yes i would agree but i also like cemetary gates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,633 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Favourite album: Far Beyond Driven
    Favourite song: Domination (outro has best headbanging riff ever, bar none)

Album is subject to change to any other, and song is subject to change to Floods, This Love, Fu**ing Hostile, Use My Third Arm, Cowboys From Hell, Cemetery Gates, Becoming.

Oh dear, this thread is older than i thought...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

My favourite band of all time. I have been a fan ever since I first heard Walk, my cousin had it taped off the radio and it was the only song that was on the tape and I absolutely loved it. The tape itself broke because of so many plays and rewinds! :D I actually didn't know who it was until a year or so later when I went looking for Cowboys From Hell and I saw Walk on VDoP. Needless to say I bought both of them!

The band itself was a breath of fresh air to the whole metal scene. I had listened to Nirvana, Guns N Roses and Metallica before I had heard Pantera and was fairly impressed as I was only getting into the whole Rock/Metal scene at the time as I was still young. But Pantera absolutely blew them all away. I loved the vocals, the riffs, the solo's and the tightness of it all. I can say without a doubt, that they are my favourite band of all time ever since I first heard Walk.

For me, no band could ever do what they did for metal. They kept it going when the whole Grunge thing died down, when the Thrash bands were going down hill (and selling out to the mighty $) and nu metal was starting to grow. Metal was more or less dead but for Pantera and a couple of death metal bands. They were the kings of metal without a doubt, I am so disappointed to never have seen them live... From a personal point of view 9/11 was a tragedy for me not only because so many people died, but also because I never got to see Phil, Dime, Rex and Vinnie rip the place up. Down or any other side project bands as good as they are, will never be a substitute.

Favourite song: Floods
    Favourite album: Vulgar Display of Power

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Am I the only one here that thinks they are pretty crap?
    With the exception of maybe two ok songs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Liquidus

Am I the only one here that thinks they are pretty crap?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah good, I can feel superior still.
    *Dons cape*

Advertisement