Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super 8mm

• 05-01-2007 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I am trying to source a good, cheap and newish Super 8mm Camera. I'm not up to speed as much as i would like to in the last few years regarding these cameras. I studied Film about 4 years ago and trying to get back into it as a hobby and would like to purchase a cheap starter camera.

If anyone has any pointers it would be much appricated.

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Guitar1979

Forget Digital for a few minutes everyone. Editing via anything Digitail is just Fisher Price material.

Can someone, anyone answer my question??

Thanks...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Look on ebay for 8mm cameras.... what are you looking for? And who mentioned Digital?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Guitar1979

Digital? no one just me going off on one. Well yea i have been lookin on Ebay but not sure with so much to choose from i dont want to get a 8mm that is too much work to configure etc.

There is a few cameras on Ebay that range from 100 Euro to 600 Euro so again not to sure.

Anyway thanks for your feedback...

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

I worked extensively with Super-8mm in the 80s. I had both a silent Bell & Howell and a sound Chinon. (still have the Chinon, but no mic.) Even back then they were both second hand. The best Super 8mm on the market, if you can get it, is any model by Beaulieu (might be spelt wrong) As recent as the mid 90s they were churning out a pro version of the format. The film, "Black Rain" is perhaps a good example of its use. The handlebar scenes on the motorbike chase scene were done on Super 8mm with a Beaulieu and blown to 35mm.

I understand why you went off on one about digital.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

http://www.super8camera-shop.com/

This link might help you.

Apologies to mods as this topic was perhaps more relevent in the filmaking forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

The Beauleux(it is hard to spell) is supposed to be a good one. One thing to look for is a camera with a crystal sync motor. This means the camera will film at a continuous speed enabling you to record sync sound. Cameras without this feature tend to speed up slightly towards the end of the reel so any sound will be out of sync.The bad news about super-8 is that the only lab that processed it in Europe is closing, which means you will have to send your stock to America. You might get a half decent camera for 50 Euro. One with a crystal sync motor could cost around 500. Also look out for different frame rate settings. Single frame advance would be good too as it will allow you to do stop motion or timelapse. That's all I can remember. It's been a while since I shot super 8. Great format.

Advertisement