Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Romeo 145

Options
  • 05-01-2007 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

hi im looking at a 145, are they any good ? positives and negatives please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

Do a search and you'll see what people here think!

I have an Alfa 156 1.8 TS Sportivo, I've had no serious trouble, just an airbag light come on and I had to get my key recoded, I wouldnt drive anything else in the class.

Weak points at a glance are; suspension, electrics, 36K belt change and the dealer network.

A friend of mine just sold a 145 after over 6 years ownership and the only work he ever had done was the belt changes, variator, water pump and a bulb behind the speedo went.

If you dont have an interest in doing some DIY car maintaince like regular oil change etc. Id go for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

want2play wrote:
    Do a search and you'll see what people here think!

I have an Alfa 156 1.8 TS Sportivo, I've had no serious trouble, just an airbag light come on and I had to get my key recoded, I wouldnt drive anything else in the class.

Weak points at a glance are; suspension, electrics, 36K belt change and the dealer network.

A friend of mine just sold a 145 after over 6 years ownership and the only work he ever had done was the belt changes, variator, water pump and a bulb behind the speedo went.

If you dont have an interest in doing some DIY car maintaince like regular oil change etc. Id go for something else.

A fair assesment!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Get the 2.0 litre Cloverleaf....rocket ship

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ipodrocker wrote:
    hi im looking at a 145, are they any good ? positives and negatives please.
    Service history is everything with an Alfa. Walk away from anything that hasn't been religiously maintained, and be prepared to spend money on servicing the car properly. If you follow these rules, they're a great car. If you don't, you're in for heartache. It really is that simple.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beady

Mate of mine used to have a 146 (same car but 5 door). I was far from impressed with it. Great engine!

BUT:

1) handles like a pig unless you're a fan of understeer.
    2) Cheap/nasty interior. (though I think it was revised on later models)
    3) Horrible driving position, seat too high and pedals too close which made it an actual pain to drive on long journeys.
    4) Build quality? Nothing major but lots of annoying niggly little problems (mainly electrical) which can be a pain in the arse.

IMO the fiat bravo was a better car and should be around the same money for a similar year/spec.

That said, if the Alfa is at the right price (i.e. cheap) I'd consider it. They just have a bit of charachter which goes someway towards making up for its shortfalls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

its basically a fiat tipo. with a different body. handling not fntstic. I had a 146 and it gavea bit of niggly trouble. interesting looking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

the car is 4,500 euro and has 50,000 on the clock with timing belt replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ipodrocker wrote:
    the car is 4,500 euro and has 50,000 on the clock with timing belt replaced.
    thats way too much, regardless of mileage
    sure they are rare enough, but you'd pay less for a 146

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lex Luthor wrote:
    sure they are rare enough,

There are very good reasons for this.

Price should be similar to Bravos. any more and you're being ripped off.

Advertisement