Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just got my 8th XB360

• 05-01-2007 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I just received my 8th Xbox 360 from the MS repair center and after 2 months of me screaming , crying and shouting down the phone and them lying to me , they gave me a brand new one :D

I actually had to call the MS head office in the UK to get it sorted as the retards on the Xbox Helpdesk are incapable of doing their job.

It's been nearly 4 months since I last had a working machine (last 3 were defective within 24 hours) and I only have PGR3 as I sold everything else.

Does anyone know if my warranty is reset back to the original 12 months with the new machine ? Also what games are worth getting now ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

I got a brand new 1 the 4th time my xbox had to go for repair had to speak to the head manager in the uk aswell. Have got a new warranty from when i got the new 360 back in August for a year and got a load of free things aswell. I Got PGR 3 Kameo a controller and a new Hard Drive when i already had 1. Then just two weeks ago out of the blue i got viva pinata and a charge kit in the post from microsoft and i didn't even know that i was getting anything from them they didn't even send me an email telling me i was getting anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

8th 360? now THAT is F*cked :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My first xbox 360 just died on me this morning. I dont think I have the receipt either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Eighth!!

What are you doing to them!?!??! :D

Is it stuck in a book shelf or something? Do you play it 24 hours a day? Do you live in a swamp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

quad_red wrote:
    Eighth!!

What are you doing to them!?!??! :D

Is it stuck in a book shelf or something? Do you play it 24 hours a day? Do you live in a swamp?

Walkinstown gets a bit damp, could easily be classed as a swamp :D

2 of the 8 were damaged when I received them and I didn't even plug them in. The rest were f**ked in different ways. The machine is well ventelated , with plenty of space around it.

I actually got 1 game from them for my troubles, but i was told over the past 2 months that i was getting numerous other things but they never turned up.

The amazing thing is that I was told by Xbox Support I was getting a new machine for 2 months and when I finally snapped and called MS Hq in the UK the machine was sent out to me that evening.

So moral of the story is Xbox 360 support = lying f*cktards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Do you have the number for MSHQ?
    I finally got my 360 back after months of complaining and being lied to by the support center.
    I got it back on Friday the 23rd of December, the last possible day before Christmas, when I had arranged to get it repaired back in early October!!!!

Anyway, I've tried a few times to complain to MS, but all I was given was the address, they don't have an e-mail address, or a phone number is what I was told a couple of times by the supervisors.
    Well, I've sent off two separate letters and heard nothing back yet, it's been over a month since I sent the first letter.
    If you had the number, I'd love to call the HQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

you'll hold your breath every time you turn it on for a few months, not nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The 360 is supposed to have a relatively high failure rate of about 3.5%. With that level of failures, the odds/probability of having seven failures in a row are huge. We are talking lottery odds here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

pffft..... my launch-box is still going strong.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

CiaranC wrote:
    The 360 is supposed to have a relatively high failure rate of about 3.5%. With that level of failures, the odds/probability of having seven failures in a row are huge. We are talking lottery odds here.

But they were sending back refubs, which raises the odds considerably I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

8th!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never thought I'd hear it. Still on my launch day one with no problems (touch wood).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

how long is the standard warantee? 1 or 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

1 year and no extended warranty in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's been raised on other threads but if your Xbox360 breaks within the warranty period, just do as the television ad says: go to the store and ask for a repair, replacement or refund.

I don't understand why you're dealing with Microsoft. You should be dealing with the retailer.
    After all you're paying for calls to the UK when there is no need for you to make these calls.

Possibly a mod can make a sticky for this forum

Edit: I did a nightcourse in Law in case people think I'm talking nonsense
    I've seen another poster post the same info in this forum so I'm realy only repeating information that I've haven't yet seen anyone in this thread make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

hate to band waggon, but mine too :rolleyes:

oh crap, there goes my karma quota for the year.. red ring of death when I get home, I just know it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

Can anyone tell me when the got the three lights of death did the try(i know this sounds funny) turning it off and hitting the base of the unit hard enough to fix problem. I saw this on some web site that had the three lights of death and they turned it off and then hit the unit hard enough then turned it back on and the unit was all green lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

might work Jhud, but when those red rings appear I'd rather get it replaced then do something that might just be a temporary fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

any idea whats actualy wrong with it when those lights come on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

There is four differnt lights it means different things I think depending on the amount of lights showing..
    I am on my fourth xbox now in 9 months just got it back again today and each time it has been the same problem with the hardrive.
    It is starting to become a real pain this happening and when the FedEx guy dropped it back he said they had gotten hundereds of them to be fixed..
    Surely Xbox would have sorted all these problems out by now..
    Sorry for ranting just annoyed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

any idea whats actualy wrong with it when those lights come on?
    Overheating, loose ram chips seem to be the main problems. The over heating can be easily fixed with some artic silver and the ram can be reheated with a heat gun to solder the loose connections to the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Well not launch for me, but coming up on a year and still no problems!!

Just out of curiosity, anyone who hasn't had any issues, which way do you have your 360 standing, vertical or horizontal??

Mine is Horizontal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

was thinking of actually getting a XBOX 360 with the good deals that are going at the moment, but with all these failures I'm not sure now if its such a good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

tbh, im sure most problems with the machine could be relatively easily fixed by someone with even a basic idea of what they were doing

im still on my launch box, so the warranty is gone

modded it the day after the warranty was up, and if i get any red lights ill fix it myself

but touch wood i wont have to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Hi
    My mate got the red ring of death last week 2 days beofre his warranty expired.
    Game gave him a new machine (core system).

When he brought it home and stuck his HD into it - he cannot play the extra maps for COD2 that he bought last year.
    Why is this ?

Are they mapped to a serial nuimber on his first 360 or sometthing ?
    Is there any way round this ....short of downloading the maps again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Helix wrote:
    tbh, im sure most problems with the machine could be relatively easily fixed by someone with even a basic idea of what they were doing

im still on my launch box, so the warranty is gone

modded it the day after the warranty was up, and if i get any red lights ill fix it myself

but touch wood i wont have to

do the launch boxes not have an indefinate warranty due to the number of failures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just out of curiosity, anyone who hasn't had any issues, which way do you have your 360 standing, vertical or horizontal??

Mine is Horizontal

Vertical and still going 100% from day one :)

god's toy wrote:
    Vertical and still going 100% from day one :)

same here

quarryman wrote:
    do the launch boxes not have an indefinate warranty due to the number of failures?

first ive heard of it if thats true

doubt it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Helix wrote:
    same here

Yep, Launch console and kept vertical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Had mine about a year, horizontal, the odd crash now and then, maybe about 5 times over the course of the year, but thats happened with every console I've ever had, nothing serious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Helix wrote:
    first ive heard of it if thats true

doubt it tho

It is true, at least in America.
    Not sure about Ireland, but if Microsoft offered it for all launch consoles, it might I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 E=McHammer

at christmas i got an xbox 360 premium,i've had to have it replaced 5 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It is true, at least in America.
    Not sure about Ireland, but if Microsoft offered it for all launch consoles, it might I suppose.

They just extended the warranty to a year from 90 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

I have this problem anytime i play a game my 360 makes this weird bleeping noise and the game freezes its pissing me off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I'm sorry, but going through 5+ xbox's just cant be unluckyness imo.

You gotta be storing it in the same spot everytime, and it's overheating - or your doing something else fúcked up.

Iv'e had my xbox from day 1, and never had a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Waylander24

Damn, 8 360s! I thought I was bad being on my fourth. I hope your new one works without incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

I'm sorry, but going through 5+ xbox's just cant be unluckyness imo.

or else they just could be sending you back the same problematic xbox each time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Julez wrote:
    or else they just could be sending you back the same problematic xbox each time!

And thats what they did to me, I kept seeing the same serial numbers popping up over and over again. As I said in my original post , 2 of them were physically broken when I unpacked them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

claiva wrote:
    Hi
    My mate got the red ring of death last week 2 days beofre his warranty expired.
    Game gave him a new machine (core system).

When he brought it home and stuck his HD into it - he cannot play the extra maps for COD2 that he bought last year.
    Why is this ?

Are they mapped to a serial nuimber on his first 360 or sometthing ?
    Is there any way round this ....short of downloading the maps again ?

Marketplace content that you buy is locked to both the gamertag that it is bought with and separately to the console that it is downloaded onto first.

So if your mate had multiple different gamertags setup on the first console that he downloaded the maps onto then any gamertag logged onto that console would be able to play the maps. But only gamertag that the content was actually paid for with will be able to re-download the same content again for free on another machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

vigos wrote:
    was thinking of actually getting a XBOX 360 with the good deals that are going at the moment, but with all these failures I'm not sure now if its such a good idea!

yeah me too, sounds VERY dodgey, two of my friends have them, one had to get two replacements, and the other just had to get his replaced now after a year.

not really worth the risk is it, ill stick with my pc and ps2 for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

mine died in the middle of a game last night, disconnected and re-connected it but there's no audio output at all.

tried again this morning and no change, so I guess I'll have to send it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Mine died last night too. Only problem is the drive got flashed recently

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

I shouldn't have bothered opening my mouth. Mine died yesterday. I got mine for christmas last year. Anyone have any advice as to go about trying to get it replaced for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

:eek: jaysus, is it this common for it to fail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

This is all new to me. But after a my first google I came across dozens of pages
    of people saying that the failure rate is higher than what MS released. 30% in
    some cases.

Even ignoring the biased Google search :D , looking at this thread really puts
    doubts in my mind on getting one of these eventually :(

what if one bought one new in a shop today. would this be from the same faulty batch or would it be a re-issued fixed version? or are these failures hitting everyone??

This is all new to me. But after a my first google I came across dozens of pages
    of people saying that the failure rate is higher than what MS released. 30% in
    some cases.

Even ignoring the biased Google search :D , looking at this thread really puts
    doubts in my mind on getting one of these eventually :(
    i wouldnt let it put you off, i dont know a single person whos xbox broke, and i know at least 60 people with them

Helix wrote:
    i wouldnt let it put you off, i dont know a single person whos xbox broke, and i know at least 60 people with them

60?? wow you're popular :D

lol nah, i just know lots of people with 360s :p

Advertisement