Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband dropping query...help!

Options
  • 05-01-2007 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello Boys & Girls,

My broadband connection seems to be dropping more times then a hookers knickers this past while. When i say dropping, it just goes. I would knock off the wifi searcher, and reconnected, and 70% of the time, it would reconnect there and then.

I'm with UTV btw. I've rang em up, said there is no problems with the broadband on their side etc etc.

They mentioned that because my phone and bb connection are sharing a connector into my phone socket, this maybe causing the problem. Could this be the case? If so, can you recommend a better connector and where to get it?

Another weird thing ive noticed, (dunno if its connected) is that the web page im looking at may go, as in “this page cannot be displayed” message will come up. Any site i try would be the same. The weird thing is, if im downloading on limewire for example, the download is continuing like normal.

Can someone pls offer me some advice?

Cheers, Fly

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hello Boys & Girls,

My broadband connection seems to be dropping more times then a hookers knickers this past while. When i say dropping, it just goes. I would knock off the wifi searcher, and reconnected, and 70% of the time, it would reconnect there and then.

I'm with UTV btw. I've rang em up, said there is no problems with the broadband on their side etc etc.

They mentioned that because my phone and bb connection are sharing a connector into my phone socket, this maybe causing the problem. Could this be the case? If so, can you recommend a better connector and where to get it?

Another weird thing ive noticed, (dunno if its connected) is that the web page im looking at may go, as in “this page cannot be displayed” message will come up. Any site i try would be the same. The weird thing is, if im downloading on limewire for example, the download is continuing like normal.

Can someone pls offer me some advice?

Cheers, Fly

Did you by any chance upgrade to a faster speed recently? Have you established whether it is your own wireless signal or the dsl that drops?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fly.on.the.wall

Hey Dub45,

It's the DSL that seems to be dropping...the wireless is fine.
    No, havent changed the speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Not saying its the problem in your case , but i sorted a friends dsl lately that was doing the same thing , line sounded grand voice-wise , but it would drop the dsl every few minutes. There was corrosion in the box on the outside wall of the house where the wire to the pole was joined to the house wiring.I just cut an inch or two off each one and hooked them back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fly.on.the.wall

Cheers Bushy...may look for a ladder so!

Something else which comes to mind, would incoming or out going activity on the landline perhaps be causing this either? I've noticed one occasion, don’t know if it was pure coincidence, but the house phone rang and my connection just stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

fly im with utv the last two years and if im downloading music the dsl drops occasionaly also, it's only happening the last 2 weeks though. it only seems to happen in the evenings also.. i dunno wat it is either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you post your problem in the UTV support group Carl might check out your line for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

because my phone and bb connection are sharing a connector into my phone socket, this maybe causing the problem.

Are the two of them plugged into a filter ( usually a few of them come with the modem) instead of just an ordinary adapter ? if not thats your trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

wheres the utv support group? is it on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Cheers Bushy...may look for a ladder so!

Something else which comes to mind, would incoming or out going activity on the landline perhaps be causing this either? I've noticed one occasion, don’t know if it was pure coincidence, but the house phone rang and my connection just stopped?
    This would happen if phones/devices were plugged into phone sockets without a filter. Everything (except the modem needs a filter.
    Do a bit of troubleshooting before you go looking for a ladder.:)
    Disconnect everything from the phoneline and connect the modem directly into the phone socket without any filter. See how that goes.

Advertisement