Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house - any tips from people who've done it?

Options
  • 05-01-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted before - the search function doesn't seem to be working.

We're moving out temoprarily in a few weeks to let the builders in, and have to get everything (twenty-some years' worth of stuff) out of the house. I want to be as organised and efficient as possible.

Any good tips? Has anyone moved house recently and can they tell me the BIG mistakes to avoid?

Thanks!

Comments

Assuming you are putting everything into storage,

1, start early and pack things you dont use very often first.
    2, label all boxes & try to pack sets & similar items together, much easier to sort out afterwards.
    3, when filling the store place least needed items in first & kettle teacups etc last. you'll need these first.
    4, don't try to do it all at once!

Thats for starters...

There are many other suggestion, but can't think of 'em at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Been there and done that UB with 30 years of stuff in the house at it was my homeplace that we were moving from and I had always lived there! We were moving to a rental while our new build was being completed as the sale of our old house went through much quicker than we thought and it was best accept that and get nearer the site of the new build too. My advice would be to pack firstly ONLY stuff you need for your temp accommodation. Keep it to a minimum..ie only winter clothes if you plan to only be there for winter etc. If you have kids only bring a selection of toys and books etc. Bring a small selection of bed linen and towels etc. Only bring valuable paintings and ornaments and a few "home touches". If
    you need to use your own saucepans and tableware pack only enough to use on a daily basis with a few spare cups etc in case of visitors. Then pack everything else room by room and label them really well and decide as to what room they are going into when you unpack. Also get in a mini skip and some empty boxes for bringing to local Charity shops, and throw out a lot of the junk and put good stuff you don't need or kids have grown out of etc into charity boxes as you pack. Only pack stuff you will use again when you house is complete. If as in my case it was the family home of other siblings talk to them....you'd be surprised the stuff you might
    be thinking of throwing out that they are quite happy to give a home to because it's of sentimental value to them. We survived 7 months in a rental house with about a quarter of our stuff and we were just fine. You will be too busy getting your new home finished to miss anything. Also when you move back if you can't find a home for something you've packed donate it or chuck it! Best of luck. I don't envy the job but it is very do-able if you have a game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If in doubt, f**k it out.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

All of the above and...

Make sure you are still getting all of your post (bills, bank statements etc).

Options
    1. Temporary postal re-direct to new address
    2. Have a large, secure post box on-site
    3. Get a PO Box/pick up post from distribution centre each morning.

If you are have an on-site postbox, make sure that the site/postbox is accessible to the postperson at all times. Make absolutely sure it is secure, you don't want the builders getting your bank statements in their hands. They may not run away with them...but you don't know. Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

We moved about 18 months ago. Used Allen Removals. they were extremely professional and friendly. They packed everything and unpacked where we wanted it. No breakages, no hassle.

I think they do storage aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement