Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Join Door Saddle to Wooden Floor?

Options
  • 05-01-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Im about to put down some door saddles but the saddle from the hall to the kitchen will have tiles on one side and a wooden floor on the other...
    Whats the normal way to finish off where the saddle meets the flooring?
    Do I need to raise the saddle to the height of the floor boards?

Cheers!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you should be able to get a saddle which is higher on one side for this very purpose..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yeah Ive seen them but they have all been very narrow strips, the saddles I have are about 6 inches across
    I'll have to investigate the heights of the tiles...is there much a variance in flooring heights?
    How much does the underlay add?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I take it you already have the saddles bought. Best wat to do it would be to get somebody to measure the difference in level between floors, and rebate the saddles to suit this. Measure each doorway separatly as levels might be different. The different in levels shouldn't be massive, depends on a few factors, tiles, adhesive, floorboards and as you said underlay.Roughtly how big is it on inspection??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah I already have them
    The saddles are about 1.5cm at the lowest part, rising to ~double that in the centre.
    It looks like carpet + underlay is ~ the same height as the lowest part of the saddle so combined with a trim it should be ok.
    My biggest worry is the bathroom.
    Adding 9mm WBP + adhesive + tile is going to be much bigger than the saddle, I guess I can raise the saddle with some ply underneath it but then it will look kinda weird on the other side of the door (carpet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

daveym wrote:
    you should be able to get a saddle which is higher on one side for this very purpose..
    Hi,

Any idea where you've seen saddles such as these?

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

viking wrote:
    Hi,

Any idea where you've seen saddles such as these?

Thanks,

You can get them from Barefoot flooring just off the Nass Road,they are up around the Coke factory.They are called a reducer slip but they have other types on display there so you should get what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

if that place isnt near you my general advice would be to go somewhere that sells flooring rather than B+Q or Woodies etc, which only have crap ones.

Advertisement